How to get those coveted referrals
In real estate, one way to offer value to clients and nurture the relationship with them in between transactions is to position yourself as the “go to expert” on all things home related; as the person to ask for any real estate advice and/ or recommendations on trustworthy professionals such as interior designers, landscapers, electricians, handymen, and so on.
Positioning yourself as a “Home Expert” will help you build that coveted referral and repeat business and get clients calling you in between transactions. But, just how to do you position yourself in this way? The checklist below will help:
- Build and manage a comprehensive Business Directory of professionals you would feel comfortable recommending to clients. The best real estate contact management systems have a built-in business directory. Make sure you’re using it!
- Conduct an annual Homeowner’s Check-Up. This involves meeting with clients to provide services and information about their home. This may include a local housing market update, simple inspection of the house, review of their current mortgage, discussion of the clients’ home goals, and more.
- Send out a monthly e-Newsletter filled with useful and interesting articles for homeowners. For example, you can have an article one month on affordable ways to remodel a kitchen and an article the next month on understanding the market value of one’s home.
- Conduct a seminar every quarter. Seminars are a great way to educate your clients on a wide variety of useful topics about home ownership.
- Call your clients once a quarter. Catch up with them and ask if they need a recccomendation on a reputable service provider.
- Indicate in your email signature that you’d be happy to recommend various professionals, such as painters, attorneys, window installers, etc.
- Use social media. Make sure you have Facebook and Twitter pages and you’re using them to offer useful advice and information for homeowners.
Making yourself known as the “go-to home expert” has myriad benefits. First and foremost is that you’re adding value to client relationships, staying fresh in the minds of your clients, and increasing the chances they’ll refer you to friends and family members. The second benefit is that you’ll find the service providers you recommend will reciprocate and refer business back to you. And, the next time these service providers need a REALTOR®, you’re the one they’ll think of!