Where Are People?
Where are the people you enjoy working with? What were your favorite clients like? Most likely you most enjoy working with those who have similar interests and tastes as you. Go find them!
Don’t Ride with the Wind
You have to get out and meet people if you would like to increase your circle of influence. As a military brat, I moved around a lot. If I wanted to meet anyone, I had to suck it up and get at it. It works, just get out there and meet people. It’s not a matter of just sailing along with no direction- then you’ll just have to accept whatever and whoever comes your way. Try to build relationships with people like you! It is much more enjoyable to work with a buyer or seller that share some type of similar interests as you do.
What Floats Your Boat?
There are no rules to say you can’t seek out people to acquaint with that have a common interest. Isn’t it more enjoyable to be around clients you get along with? What is it that you enjoy doing?
- Is it the latest and greatest in technology or online applications? Find out about the local @tweetups, Social Media Clubs, podcamps, and go!
- Do you have a classic car in the garage? There are plenty of specialized car clubs, shows, and cruise nights to rev up your engine.
- Do you like photography? It’s not hard to find a Flickr meetup or local photography club and snap the shutter!
- Are you someone who adores those four-legged creatures and are most happy with fur in your life? Get involved with the local rescue, SPCA, or Kennel Club.
- Are you focused on Mommy/Daddy hood? There are a lot of Mommy/Daddy blogger get togethers, PTO/PTA organizations, and kid’s groups you could easily join!
You may end up piloting your own ship if there aren’t any groups that pique your interest….start one!
Where are You Headed?
One thing you should have in mind when reaching out to different groups is that you will get to meet more people. Don’t stick out as “The Token REALTOR®” of the group or the person who is just there for business. Your intentions could very well be discovered. If you are going to get involved and join these groups hoping to sell a house next month – don’t bother going. You have to be smoother than “Hi, nice to meet you. I’m Kim Wood and I am a real estate agent. Speaking of which, do you know of anyone moving in the next three months?” People like to talk about Real Estate; it’s possible to let someone know what you do for a living without being aggressive. “Oh! I’ll be up in North Wales area on Saturday talking to someone about selling their house.”
Cast your Anchor
Once you find a group of people that you enjoy spending time with, cast your anchor. Get involved. Relationships will be made. You might discover some great friends. And guess who the first person is they’ll think of when they want to buy or sell a house? YOU!