“Agent Sued for Trulia Voices Answer” – In My Opinion, It’s Possible

Got Your Attention

For the record, no one to my knowledge has been sued for the answers they provide as part of their participation in Trulia Voices. But that little fact is not nearly as interesting as your instant reaction to the headline:

1. “Holy s%&^!”
  2. “It only was a matter of time.”
  3. “Dalton’s at it again.”

Earlier this week, someone here in the Phoenix area asked whether she should continue paying rent now that the owner of her property is in foreclosure. Advice flew fast and furious, though little of it came from agents here in the Phoenix area – the very folks who presumably have the better grasp on local laws.

(We also were greeted with the advice to not trust any advice given in a blog, so we probably all should pack up our tents and head back to Twitter.)

Being that I’m a real estate agent, I see possible lawsuits in my sleep. If I say that a home faces southeast and further investigation shows it really faces south-southeast, I can be the target of some lawsuit-happy attorney and their client.

So forgive me for wondering if I’m absolved from any legal pursuit when I answer a question in Voices? Is it sufficient to say, “this is just my opinion” and then conclude the sentence with theories about aliens having come down from Saturn to sink the market? Or does the “this is just my opinion” caveat carry about as much legal defense as my 9-year-old crossing her fingers, nixing her affirmative answer when I ask if she’ll be cleaning her room before she goes to college?

Blatant SEO Play

If there are people who believe these answers coming from around the nation to help someone in Phoenix (or your own hometown) are designed to be of primary benefit to the person asking, raise your hands.

Really?

Now how many of you see the practice as either a blatant SEO or an opportunity to bloat the numbers on your Trulia profile?

Okay then.

As I told everyone from Trulia I saw last summer, the flaws are not in the platform but in the use of that platform. So long as there are out-of-state agents answering questions with “I couldn’t find Anthem with a map and a compass, but e-mail me and I’ll refer you to someone” … as long as you have local agents who respond to questions on a specific property by providing information on their expertise and never talking about the property in question … and as long as you have people answering questions without having to take any responsibility for the answers they give, Voices will fluctuate between occasionally useful and outright dangerous.

That’s just my opinion, though. Don’t hold me to it.

Jonathan Dalton is a Realtor with RE/MAX Desert Showcase in Peoria, Arizona and is the author of the All Phoenix Real Estate blog as well as a half-dozen neighborhood sites. His partner, Tobey, is a somewhat rotund beagle who sleeps 21 hours a day.

1. Ines

January 19, 2009 at 10:21 am

@papagrande – it gives me chills when I see some of the answers, but reality is that the questions have dwindled and there is not a lot of content and relevancy lately in Trulia Voices IMHO

In my area the questions are about specific listings “is this still available? – can I see more photos?”…..nothing I would ever answer.

On a positive note, our buyer’s agent closed her first Trulia Voices deal on Friday – woo hoo!

2. Ryan Hukill

January 19, 2009 at 10:47 am

I certainly can’t argue with any of the points you’ve made, nor would I want to. I don’t see much value in Trulia voices, and find it quite frustrating to see out-of-state agents giving advice to my local consumers when they’ve probably never even passed through Oklahoma, much less developed any sense of our local real estate market. Therefore, I find it better for me to just steer clear of that liability trap.

3. Jonathan Dalton

January 19, 2009 at 11:11 am

Ines – I see most of the same questions and what’s interesting is when agents jump in to give bad information. I wrote about one of these questions on my blog yesterday.

Ryan – I like the theory of it but don’t see where the consumer’s getting what they expect out of the forum. I could be wrong.

4. Jim Duncan

January 19, 2009 at 11:11 am

# 3 and #2 – in that order.

In practice, why not highlight the answers from agents that are actually in that market?

5. Jonathan Dalton

January 19, 2009 at 11:17 am

Jim – an excellent idea. And man, you’re hard to fool. 🙂

6. Rudy

January 19, 2009 at 11:21 am

Hi JD!

First off, I just want to share my original comment from the recent thread where this originated with those here:

“Good morning all!

First off, I’d like to thank all those who take the time out of their day to contribute their thoughts and opinion on Trulia Voices. That being said, I’d love to see the dialogue remain positive, helpful, informative and educational. Constructive criticism is always welcome. As professionals, I don’t see a benefit of being negative or defamatory to each other in a community forum such as Voices. I understand we all have varying points of view and things may get heated from time to time. Just remember that what you write online can stay there for a very long time. Consumers are also watching and reading the threads. They may be turned off by any negative tone a comment may have.

The written word is powerful. It is has lots of room for misinterpretation. Sometimes it may be best to call or email someone directly to discuss a specific comment or viewpoint. At the end of the day, I just want Trulia Voices to continue to be a place where consumers and agents can help each other.

On the issue of agents answering questions from other states: If the question is generic enough I see no problem with agent sharing their opinion and experience. However, if the question if very specific, e.g. at the neighborhood level, local market conditions, local laws etc…..I think it’s best if an agent who currently lives/works in the area or has lived/worked in the area shares their expertise. Having an open forum to discuss issues and topics is what it all about.

I genuinely believe that agents who offer their expertise and opinions whether it be at the hyper-local level or nationwide, are doing so because they want to help and learn from others. Real estate is local, but it’s also national and global. I have heard from a number of agents who have built huge nationwide referral networks all by participating on Trulia Voices – both locally and nationally. And I’ve heard of consumers who valued the genuine answers and expertise shared by an out of town agent so much that they asked them for referrals for a local agent. So I don’t think just because you live in the area where the question is being asked makes you the defacto expert on real estate. Nor do I think there should be any limits placed on where you can or cannot answer. There are varying levels of expertise – some have more than others.

Note: If you find a comment or thread offensive in any way, please flag it. Flagging does work. On regular business days over 90% of flags are taken care of within 24 hours…..Help us help you!

Everyone’s Voice Counts!”
    ——————————————–

Secondly, you know I understand your points JD as I hope you do mine. But what it all boils down to for me is how can we help consumers and agents better connect with each other? Does that happen by limiting/restricting who can contribute/participate where? If so, should the same apply to blogs and other social networking mediums?

Here’s a thought I’d like your feedback on: What if we were to offer the ability for consumers and agents to have private – non-public conversations on Trulia Voices?

Rudy
    Social Media Guru @ Trulia

7. Kris Berg

January 19, 2009 at 11:36 am

My personal favorite this week: https://tinyurl.com/7kjwga

I can’t begin to tell you how many things are wrong with this exchange.

8. Jonathan Dalton

January 19, 2009 at 11:45 am

Rudy – private conversations probably could go either way, just like the public ones. But I think it’s an intriguing idea.

You know I respect your opinion and I’m glad you respect mine enough that we can have this debate.

I agree that there should be value added. In some cases, agents from out-of-area don’t know when they’re not adding value. Check the post I referenced in my comment to Ines – the agent from Louisiana parroted what she saw on Trulia, which was incorrect. Does that add value to 1) parrot what’s already on the screen for the consumer to see or 2) to give the consumer the wrong information because you don’t know what’s happening in the local area?

I absolutely believe there are good answers being given every day on Trulia Voices. But there also are way, way, way too many examples of agents trolling for business and ignoring what the consumer’s really asking. (“How is this property?” “I have no idea but let me tell you about three other ones.”)

Unfortunately, these are the ones I see more often.

The post goes beyond that, though. What is the liability for someone who gives the consumer blatantly incorrect information? How long will it be before the consumer strikes back legally and says “you told me to do X and it cost me Y.”

Just because it hasn’t happened doesn’t mean that it won’t. And for those agents more interested in being seen and building SEO than making sure they know what they’re answering, it’s a possibility.

9. Jonathan Dalton

January 19, 2009 at 11:48 am

Kris – let me pick one tiny part of it.

“Rumors are the Chargers are coming this way.”

Consumer takes this nugget and runs with it, thinks (for whatever reason) the home will be more valuable for this.

And then the Chargers never arrive. Consumer gets mad, sues because they were told that the Chargers were coming.

What happens next?

This is a post in waiting at my own blog – the SuperWalmart that never came to the neighborhood in which I was buying.

10. ARDELL

January 19, 2009 at 11:48 am

I love Trulia Voices as much I love blogs and blogging. More info for people = Woohoo!

Here is an example of one of my recent “Best Answers”:

Trulia gives you tons of room to REALLY answer the question completely. I am thrilled when the person is satisfied with the answer I have provided.

I think you know first hand, Jonathan, that many who dip their toe into social media and blogs, etc…will come with different agendas. The value is not only in the info, but the changed mindset of those who participate.

Perhaps an agent would be inclined to act like a sleazy salesman in their responses…but seeing others doing it, they realize who cheap THEY look. Or somone smacks them around enough that they start looking in the mirror and leave or change their ways.

The value of social media is it makes us better agents…almost always…and for some it takes longer than others. But the value is not only in the answers, but in the change our participation in public view, invokes.

Five years from now, Jonathan, there will be virtually NO real estate issue that is not explained on the internet. The curtain is being opened and the light is coming in.

11. ARDELL

January 19, 2009 at 11:53 am

Kris,

I dont get it. What’s wrong with that “exchange”?

12. ARDELL

January 19, 2009 at 11:54 am

Jonathan,

My comment to your post got eaten by the spam filter 🙂

13. teresa boardman

January 19, 2009 at 12:23 pm

Nice Jonathan. I wrote about this same thing here on AG a couple of months ago. It does start a conversation every time and how agents use the platform is the issue, not the platform.

14. Kris Berg

January 19, 2009 at 12:23 pm

Ardell –

1. “Judging from the pictures in the kitchen, the home is in good condition…” This makes me more than a little nervous. We can all see the pictures, and I am not entirely comfortable commenting on condition when I haven’t seen the home. I am particularly not comfortable with speculating about the condition of the bathrooms when I have absolutely no knowledge.

2. “The pools would only be a problem if you were not invited to the parties ;-)” Until little Jimmy climbs over the fence and falls in, or the neighbors play Marco Polo each evening until 2:00 am while tossing their empties into your yard. Flippant and irresponsible.

3. “Are you flexible on the location of your home search? If so, you can get…” You can get a house 45 miles away because that is where I work, and I am shamelessly promoting while ignoring the question and your search parameters. Not to mention JD’s remark about the “rumored” Chargers move which is about as certain as my being crowned Queen of Canada next week.

I find all of this to fall under the category of useless and dangerous.

15. Rudy

January 19, 2009 at 12:27 pm

@Ines – Questions and Answers on Voices have been steadily increasing…Testimonials from agents and consumers finding each other on Voices and working together and closing deals have been steady too – that’s exciting! Congrats to your Buyer’s agent for closing her 1st deal from Trulia Voices! I’d love to get their story and feature them on Trulia! Can you make the introduction for me please?

@Jim – Good idea. Thanks for sharing!

@JD – “I absolutely believe there are good answers being given every day on Trulia Voices. But there also are way, way, way too many examples of agents trolling for business and ignoring what the consumer’s really asking. (”How is this property?” “I have no idea but let me tell you about three other ones.”)” – But is this really specific to Voices JD?

As you mentioned JD – “As I told everyone from Trulia I saw last summer, the flaws are not in the platform but in the use of that platform.” – The bigger picture as I see it is how can we in mass, help bring the growing number of agents that are participating online up to speed on what is a proper or improper way of communicating with consumers online…..and offline for that matter. We have community guidelines in place on Trulia to help with this and many agents are doing an incredible job of providing valuable information to the consumers who are asking questions on Trulia Voices – congrats to all of them! I am always happy to hear about another success story that originated from Trulia. Granted, nobody is perfect, but there are clearly those who get it and those who don’t…And for those who don’t yet understand how to best communicate with consumers online, I/we offer tips, strategies and advice as best we can whether it be via Voices, blog post, email, twitter, facebook, telephone, webinar, office presentation…you name it. There is nothing more that I would like to see happen than for consumers and agents to meet and help each other more efficiently.

16. Jonathan Dalton

January 19, 2009 at 2:34 pm

Paused to take the kids to lunch …

Ardell – your answers work because you have the consumer at heart. I could be giving you too much credit but I don’t get the sense that your driving motive is to generate business with the answer. Maybe I’m wrong.

But that’s not the case for everyone. And so it doesn’t really matter how much space that Trulia provides if the answer is all about the agent and not about what the consumer wants to know.

> The curtain is being opened and the light is coming in.

I KNOW you’re not lumping me in with those who are trying to keep the information out of the public’s hands, as if that’s even possible and/or desirable. I think the body of work I’ve produced the last few years shows otherwise.

Having said that … in five years, every issue probably will be answered on the web. And Lord willing, some of the answers might even be right.

@Rudy – The Community Guidelines and the related blog posts are nice, but where’s the hammer if they’re ignored? Is this not spam? I’m looking at Articles 1g and 3 of the Community Guidelines. This post has been flagged and yet it lives on.

You’re correct in that bad advice is given on a daily basis in this business. Having this mirror that bad advice doesn’t benefit the consumer.

In fact, I’d argue that the “success story” posts also shift the focus away from what the agent can do for the public and toward what business the agent can generate by participating. Agents tend to be a desperate lot and will latch onto anything to generate business, whether they understand the dynamics involved or not.

Slapping them on the wrist (or slapping them around otherwise) doesn’t seem to change behavior much.

17. ARDELL

January 19, 2009 at 3:54 pm

Jonathan,

1)Tell me who pays the buyer agent fee 🙂

2)People outside of our industry understand “The Internet” much better than people inside our industry. Insiders want all agents to “look good” in public. The value of the internet is for people to see the bad and the good, and choose the good. You should be happy when an agent exposes their worst side in public. You should say YAY! Another sleazeball exposed!

What agents fail to “get” is the value is in disclosing the underbelly.

All agents are NOT good agents. Anyone disagree with that? All REALTORS are not good Buyer Agents. Anyone disagree with that?

For anyone to push the info to create a picture that agents are never sleazy salesmen, would be distorting the truth. Trulia should never, ever, EVER include distorting the truth as one of their goals. Zillow?…maybe 🙂

The whole out of area thing is just crap, as is critiquing other agent responses. Give your best response and walk away. Stop looking at other agents’ responses PERIOD!

People are NOT stupid! They can see where an agent is from. They can see when the agent is looking at the same pictures as the person asking the question.

Stop critiquing one another. Your “job” is to give your best answer and leave…end of story.

18. Jonathan Dalton

January 19, 2009 at 3:59 pm

Teresa – forgot to acknowledge you. Please accept my humble apologies. 🙂

Ardell …

1) the seller, the seller, the seller, the seller, the seller. 🙂

2) Though I probably should stop, if I stop looking at other agents’ responses, how would I ever know whether I’m not just regurgitating what’s already been said?

Beyond that, I can’t find a way to argue with you. Damn.

19. ARDELL

January 19, 2009 at 4:09 pm

1)Wrong answer, and I am disappointed that your online experience has not at least broadened your outlook to the point of at least considering any other vantagepoint. Just don’t represent any buyers until you change your mind. List houses..great! But until you look at a buyer client with the understanding that YOUR client is always the one paying you…let someone else represent the buyers.

2)Give your best answer and leave UNLESS you can look at other responses without judging their responses. We are not the judges of the “geniuses”. We convey our best, and the public judges us…not the other way around.

The point is someone looks at 10 agents and chooses one. Be honest and open with your answers, and if you ARE the best…it will show. Who is not the best, is not your problem. In fact it is to your advantage…no?

Pretend you are trying to pick an agent to refer to when reading Trulia Voices. Aren’t you glad they don’t all “look” good?

20. Jonathan Dalton

January 19, 2009 at 4:15 pm

1) Now, now … while I respect your opinion, I disagree and have for three years. There are two sides to the sale and to say the commission is being paid by the buyer discounts the fact that the commission also is deducted from the seller’s proceeds. Besides, the HUD-1 says I’m right.

Incidentally, the dozens of buyers I’ve represented during that time have had no issue with how I’ve performed my duties. So it’s probably not your place to do so otherwise, much as I love you.

As a wise person said, “we’re not the judges of geniuses.”

P.S. Ardell’s the one who got me blogging, so if you don’t like what I write, blame her. 🙂

21. ARDELL

January 19, 2009 at 5:01 pm

LOL! I’ll never stop hammering at you. One day you’ll agree…you’re young enough for that to happen in your lifetime, if not mine 🙂

22. ARDELL

January 19, 2009 at 5:03 pm

P.S. Even Rudy may agree with you…but not likely Pete Flint. When Pete Flint buys a house, I’m sure he knows he is paying his buyer’s agent, within that purchase price.

23. ARDELL

January 19, 2009 at 5:04 pm

“Being that I’m a real estate agent, I see possible lawsuits in my sleep.”

Never be afraid to do the right thing.

24. Jonathan Dalton

January 19, 2009 at 5:10 pm

Never have, never will.

And I’m sure when Pete sells his home, he notices the proceeds coincidentally are light by the amount of the commission. 🙂

25. Matthew Rathbun

January 19, 2009 at 7:10 pm

This is a great conversation! The question I have, is what is being done about agents who do give inappropriate advice? Is anyone reporting them to the Real Estate Commission or Realtor Association?

Agents are giving bad advice all the time, the difference between Voices / Blogs is that they are doing it in a more public forum.

Just like ActiveRain, Blogs and all other medians, it’s not necessarily the platform but the lack of education and training that permeates this industry.

Every time an agent opens their mouths and especially when they blog (even when it’s not directed to consumers) they open themselves up to liability.

26. Melina Tomson

January 19, 2009 at 8:18 pm

While I don’t get people that answer questions about specific properties they know nothing about, I don’t think a lawsuit will arise out of that.

I was on another forum where the poster asked what “time is of the essence” meant. An agent answered the question completely incorrectly. It was answered correctly by two other agents right after her.

To me those are the types of questions that will cause a lawsuit.

Not answering a poster’s question and the blantant bid for business or referral money is irritating, but that just reflects poorly on those agents.

27. Bill Lublin

January 19, 2009 at 9:02 pm

Ardell; At the risk of upsetting you (something I would never want to have happen) it IS the seller who pays the buyer’s agent – however who pays the agent has nothing to do with who that agent represents (as is evidenced by the fact that in divorce settlements, where one party pays the legal fees of the other without impacting the representation at all) I would however agree that the buyer causes the commission to be paid (as does the spouse in the divorce proceeding)

And while I agree with the point you make about many consumers knowing good from bad, they may follow bad advice, or accept bad information, and I think the point here is that in this powerful tool, it would be nice if there was a way to avoid the “bad” answers so there was no risk of the consumer being hurt listening to the wrong information. The problem there as I see it is that a matching agent geography does not indicate competence –

28. Vicky Henry

January 20, 2009 at 8:08 am

Please remember that it is a social network. Folks are reading all the comments not just ours. Anyone can sue but this has not been tested in our courts yet. We’ll see how all of this fleshes out soon.

29. Linsey Planeta

January 20, 2009 at 9:35 am

Love this dialogue.

I do answer some questions about of state. They tend to be how to get a home sold in a generic sense. I always recommend speaking to someone about local conditions however.

Kris – I cringe in the same spots. Anytime I hear an agent say that anything is in ‘good condition’ I flinch just a bit. To see an agent say this online about a property they’ve likely never seen is exactly the type of danger that we should be wary of.

I was consistently answering questions on Trulia up until the last couple months. I have mixed feelings about the platform and the quality (or lack thereof) of some of the responses makes me extremely nervous and often uncomfortable.

30. Jonathan Dalton

January 20, 2009 at 9:46 am

I’ve been tempted to jump in more often than I have. I took advice from a friend and tried answering national “general” questions but it didn’t really feel right most of the time, at least to me. I know it works for others.

Part of my reluctance to jump in is the fear of being lumped into “that” crowd, regardless of my answer. Silly, yes, but still …

Consider that when I’m talking to another agent and they mention a “creative” answer and the city where the person giving the answer lives, I can guess who gave that answer in one try. Two tops. Probably not coincidental.

31. Matt Stigliano

January 20, 2009 at 12:13 pm

Jonathan – As you already know, I liked the post. Thanks for chatting this morning. My thoughts rest on the localization of things more often than not. I see the benefit for general talk being had by agents from all over the world, but when it comes to local questions there should be a filter of some sort to help keep things local. Of course, there are times where I think it can be appropriate to talk to someone outside your area, but these are very limited in my view. Rudy questions how we can educate the agents and even the consumers on how better to use Trulia, but I don’t know if there’s an answer there. I’d love to say there is, but I don’t see one. He mentions community guidelines and I know its a well-intentioned idea, but really, how many people read and obey them? Most sites’ community guidelines only become important when someone’s being barred, banned, or admonished for their behavior. At least that’s been my experience.

Unfortunately, I don’t think there’s any true solution that will sort it all out. I do believe that localization could be a big help in curbing some of it, but even then, I think there will be other problems. I do think that one of the next steps in the internet evolution will be more policing eventually. Not just at Trulia, but anywhere the public is talking. I’m not talking about jackboots and military uniforms here, just more people like Rudy who will step in and talk it out with users; suggesting things, helping people, and explaining site policies. I think the more public you get, the more moderated you need to be on the internet, because we all know the anonymous nature (even when you’re not anonymous, people still feel that they are on the internet for some reason) of the internet does bring out some strange traits in people.

Matt911
    (I’ve decided to change my name in JD’s honor…haha.)

32. Dan Connolly

January 21, 2009 at 12:58 am

I applaud Ardell’s points about not criticizing the other agents. At least not out loud in a public forum. Maybe by private email, God knows a number of them need it! In Voices, politely explaining the truth of the matter is enough. The criticism is implied.

I also agree that the Seller doesn’t really pay the Buyer’s agent’s commission. In GA we have closing attorneys. THE BUYER brings ALL OF THE MONEY to the closing table. The attorney pays the buyer’s agent and the sellers agent, and everyone else according to the contract. The fact that the buyer is paying for the various costs is evidenced by the fact that the buyer gets to deduct some of the closing costs even if they are on the Seller’s side of the HUD. (ask your accountant)

33. Jonathan Dalton

January 21, 2009 at 10:20 am

By that argument, Dan, the buyer also would be paying the listing agent. If the argument is based on each side paying his own way, or at least semantics that allow them to feel that they have, that’s no better than saying the seller pays all.

If the sellers’ net is impacted, then it can’t be said that they’re not paying at least a portion of the commissions. You can divide it any way you choose from there.

34. Dan Connolly

January 21, 2009 at 3:58 pm

What I am really saying is that the idea that the Seller is paying everything isn’t exactly accurate. If you had to pick one or the other, I think it would be more accurate to say that the Buyer is paying for everything because the buyer actually brings all the funds to the closing.

Most buyers I work with seem to feel this way. They feel that they are paying both the Buyer’s agent and the Seller’s agent, because that fee has been built into the purchase price of the house.

35. Jonathan Dalton

January 21, 2009 at 4:28 pm

Except that there’s no guarantee that the home would sell for “x” percent less if there was no commission involved …

I understand what you’re saying. I just can’t find my way to see one side without seeing the other as well.

But I appreciate the commentary!

36. Jenn Giraldi

January 21, 2009 at 8:55 pm

Jonathan, doesn’t Trulia have no follows to make SEO irrelevant? I thought they did so I could be wrong. Nice Article!

37. Jonathan Dalton

January 21, 2009 at 11:11 pm

I’ve heard that, Jenn, but I’ve also heard from agents who have gotten clients through long tail searches based on what they’ve answered.

So, short answer is I don’t know for sure.

January 22, 2009 at 7:03 am

I only answer questions in Michigan and if it is about a home NOT in my area, I skip it.

Art meets business: Entrepreneurship tips for creative people

(EDITORIAL) Making your creative hobby into a business is an uphill battle, but hey, many other people have done it. This is how they crested that hill.

creative artist doodle

If the success of platforms like Etsy has proven anything, it’s that creative people can launch successful businesses, even with relatively few tools at their disposal – and for many hobbyists, this is the dream. That doesn’t mean it’s easy, though, and what pushes someone from creator to businessperson can be hard to pin down. In one study, the determining factor was encouragement by family and friends. Others make a slower transition from hobby to side hustle to full-time employment in the arts. Whatever the motivating factors, though, artists interested in becoming entrepreneurs need to hone an additional set of skills.

It’s All In The Plan

From one perspective, artists know how to follow a plan. Whether we’re talking about a knitter who can work through a pattern or a novelist outlining a chapter and building characters, creative thinkers also tend to be very methodical. Just because someone can create or follow a plan, that doesn’t mean they know how to develop a business plan. Luckily, there are plenty of guides to starting a business out there that contain all the basic information you’ll need to get started.

Business development guides are full of valuable technical information – what paperwork you’ll need to file, the cost of licenses, and other similar details – but they can also help you answer questions about your goals. Before you can even start writing a business plan, you’ll need to consider what service or product you want to offer, who your clients will be, and what differentiates your product from others out there. This last question is more important than ever before as more people try to break into creative fields.

Assess Your System

Once you know what your business goals are and what products you’ll be offering, you need to consider whether you have the ability to scale up that operation to fulfill market demand. There aren’t very many art forms that you can pay the bills with fulfilling commissions one at a time. The ability to scale up the artistic process is what made the famous painter Thomas Kinkade so successful during his lifetime when many others have failed. For the modern artist, this might mean asking whether you can mechanize or outsource any of your activities, or if you’ll be doing only exclusive work for high-paying clients.

Find The Right Supports

Every business needs support to thrive, whether in the form of a startup accelerator, a bank loan, a community of fellow professionals, or some other organization or resource. Artists are no different. If you’re going to develop a successful creative business, you need to research and connect with supports for working artists. They may be able to help you access tools or studio space, get loans, market your business, or connect you with a receptive audience. These groups are expert repositories of information and you don’t have to be in a major city to connect with them.

Find Professional Partners

You’re a talented artist. You have a vision and a plan. That doesn’t mean you have to go it alone – or even that you should. To build a successful creative business, you’ll want to partner with people who have different strengths. Not only will these people be able to lend their expertise to your operation, but they’ll make you a better artist and entrepreneur by lending a critical eye to your approach. Just like a major corporation won’t thrive if it’s composed of yes-men who are just along for the ride, your creative undertaking needs internal critics whose ultimate aim is to support you.

Stay Inspired

It’s easy to get bogged down in business logistics and lose your creative spark. In fact, that’s why many artists are reticent to monetize their work, but you shouldn’t let that fear hold you back. Instead, put in the effort to stay inspired. Read books about art and creativity, keep a journal, or go to museums. Experiment with new forms. Be willing to push your own limits and know that it’s okay to fail. Many businesses that aren’t tied to creative output flounder and struggle to find their way, and there’s no reason your business should be any different. Still, the surest path to failure is stagnation and losing your spark. That’s worse for any artist than a sloppy business plan.

Artists are often told that they aren’t meant to be entrepreneurs – but the most successful businesspeople are creative types, even if they aren’t typical artists. Use that outside-the-box thinking to your advantage and make a splash. If you want to do more with your art, you owe it to yourself to try.

Minimalism doesn’t have to happen overnight

(OPINION / EDITORIAL) Minimalism doesn’t have to mean throwing out everything this instant – you can get similar benefits from starting on smaller spaces.

Minimal desk with laptop, cup, books, and plant.

Minimalism. This trend has reared its head in many forms, from Instagram-worthy shots of near empty homes to Marie Kondo making a splash on Netflix with Tidying Up with Marie Kondo in 2019. If you’re anything like me, the concept of minimalism is tempting, but the execution seems out of reach. Paring down a closet to fit into a single basket or getting rid of beloved objects can sometimes seem too difficult, and I get it! Luckily, minimalism doesn’t have to be quite so extreme.

#1. Digitally

Not ready to purge your home yet? That’s fine! Start on your digital devices. Chances are, there are plenty of easy ways to clean up the storage space on your computer or phone. When it comes to low stakes minimalism, try clearing out your email inbox or deleting apps you no longer use. It’ll increase your storage space and make upkeep much more manageable on a daily basis.

It’s also worth taking a look through your photos. With our phones so readily available, plenty of us have pictures that we don’t really need. Clearing out the excess and subpar pictures will also have the added bonus of making your good pictures easily accessible!

Now, if this task seems more daunting, consider starting by simply deleting duplicate photos. You know the ones, where someone snaps a dozen pics of the same group pose? Pick your favorite (whittle it down if you have to) and delete the rest! It’s an easy way to get started with minimizing your digital photo collection.

#2. Slowly

Minimalism doesn’t have to happen all at once. If you’re hesitant about taking the plunge, try dipping your toe in the water first. There’s no shame in taking your time with this process. For instance, rather than immediately emptying your wardrobe, start small by just removing articles of clothing that are not wearable anymore. Things that are damaged, for instance, or just don’t fit.

Another way to start slow is to set a number. Take a look at your bookshelf and resolve to get rid of just two books. This way, you can hold yourself accountable for minimizing while not pushing too far. Besides, chances are, you do have two books on your shelf that are just collecting dust.

Finally, it’s also possible to take things slow by doing them over time. Observe your closet over the course of six months, for instance, to see if there are articles of clothing that remain unworn. Keep an eye on your kitchen supplies to get a feel for what you’re using and what you’re not. Sure, that egg separator you got for your wedding looks useful, but if you haven’t picked it up, it probably has to go.

#3. Somewhat

Sometimes, minimalism is pitched as all or nothing (pun intended), but it doesn’t have to be that way. Just because I want to purge my closet doesn’t mean I’m beholden to purging my kitchen too. And that’s okay!

Instead of getting overwhelmed by everything that needs to be reduced, just pick one aspect of your life to declutter. Clear out your wardrobe and hang onto your books. Cut down on decorations but keep your clothes. Maybe even minimize a few aspects of your life while holding onto one or two.

Or, don’t go too extreme in any direction and work to cut down on the stuff in your life in general. Minimizing doesn’t have to mean getting rid of everything – it can mean simply stepping back. For instance, you can minimize just by avoiding buying more things. Or maybe you set a maximum number of clothes you want, which means purchasing a new shirt might mean getting rid of an old one.

The point is, there are plenty of ways to start on the minimalist lifestyle without pushing yourself too far outside your comfort zone. So, what are you waiting for? Try decluttering your life soon!

Why tech talent is in the process of abandoning Austin

(AUSTIN TECH) There is no single reason Austin tech talent is packing their bags, but a handful of factors have collided to create a tenuous situation.

austin tech talent leaving

“Nothing’s keeping me here” is a phrase we keep hearing around town. Being in the center of the tech space, we’ve been able to keep my finger on the pulse, and what we thought was primarily housing that is driving folks out of town turns out to be far more insurmountable than we could have ever imagined.

A perfect storm is brewing as the housing market collides with a dramatically transformed workforce that has become accustomed to working remotely and shifted priorities.

Last time Austin was bleeding talent, the year was 2011 and most investments were focused on early stage startups and there weren’t enough open roles that were senior level, so we started losing people to competitive markets. In response, we built a massive employment hub (the Austin Digital Jobs Group (ADJ)) and volunteered hundreds of hours to help make Austin a magnet for high quality employers.

This time around, we expressed to the Group of over 55K members that we were frustrated that people were confiding in us that they were leaving (or considering it). Some are even people that we all imagined to be part of the very fabric of Austin tech. We feel helpless this time.

Many of these talented people said that the soaring housing prices in Austin had them eyeballing smaller towns in Texas, or worse, their hometowns outside of the state. There are only so many times you can try to buy a house, get rejected, or get outbid on 22 homes before you start looking at other places. Only so many people will accept a billion percent rent increase at renewal time before thinking that going back home to Louisiana’s lookin’ pretty good.

This week, Austin CultureMap reported that Austin now ranks number two among the most overvalued home markets in America.

Tesla is getting ready to open their Gigafactory, Oracle is moving their headquarters to Austin, and Samsung is currently trying to get buy-in from city officials in Taylor so they can build their mega plant near Austin. Home investors and firms from all over are salivating.

It all feels both exciting, yet overwhelming when you’re going to buy a house here, only to get outbid by $150K over asking price from an investor in California. It’s been demoralizing for so many.

Because we also own a massive real estate publication, we’re firmly in touch with that sector, and brokers in Austin are telling us that the summer was out of control and overheated, but they’re already seeing that hyper-activity slow a bit.

Housing alone isn’t enough of a reason for an entire sector to be packing up or dreaming of leaving. So what gives?

At last count, a thread in ADJ on this topic is at 806 comments, and I personally received several hundred more via direct message with people in tech explaining why they’re leaving or considering leaving.

There are challenges within the city limits of Austin that have bubbled over like crime and separately, the contentious issue of houselessness – it’s an ongoing and very serious issue that has people leaving downtown, but not necessarily leaving the surrounding areas.

So if housing isn’t the exclusive driving force, how has that problem combined with the employment market shifts? How has the job market changed in such a way that talent is ready to hit the eject button on this town? It boils down to a changing talent pool, fractures in the hiring process, a shift in priorities, and a lingering brokenness in the entire process that is exacerbating all other conditions.

Let’s dig into that further.

Because of the global pandemic, remote work has become a staple in the tech industry, teams adjusted and realized the office is more of a luxury than a requirement, and many large brands swear that they’ll never require their employees to come into the office again.

For that reason, tech workers’ expectations have been forever changed. Fully remote options will drive the market for years to come, and hybrid options or flex work hours will also be how large tech firms attract and retain talent – ping pong tables and chill vibes will be less of an appealing sales pitch.

The pandemic has also shifted the talent pool to include everyone in America – if all workers are remote, employers no longer have to look just to the local workforce. This talent pool expansion is a double-edged sword – if an Austin tech company can look to Nebraska for workers, then remote workers can look outside of Austin to other budding tech hubs, potentially shifting the entire environment. That’s the main driver for Austin brands continuing to hire in Austin, lest the entire ecosystem fail.

All that said, a disconnect in the job market in Austin tech remains. Holdouts from attitudes and old systems of the past linger on.

A theme we continue to hear from high quality candidates is that employers have increasingly unrealistic expectations. You already know the stereotype of job listings that say they’re entry level but require a decade of work experience. But as budgets tightened in the face of uncertainty, Austin tech companies are becoming phenomenally great at hiring someone to do three jobs that pay less than one. One of our Group members asserted that employers are looking for turnkey employees. It used to be that employer job descriptions were a realistic wish list and that if you hit over 60% of them, you might get an interview. Now people believe that the requirements are becoming unrealistic and if you meet less than 100% of them, there is zero chance of an interview. Many have complained that hiring managers and recruiters continue to not be aligned, slowing the process repeatedly.

The timing of the acceleration of unrealistic expectations has locals feeling like the pandemic created conditions that allowed for employers to take advantage of job seekers who must be desperate since the world is upside down. I don’t personally believe this has anything to do with the pandemic, rather it is a continuation of an ongoing trend.

If you think this is an exaggeration, just this week a job seeker let me know that a recruiter sent them a job description that required the “ability to code in any language.” WTF. The recruiter was serious. Try telling me this isn’t out of control and I will laugh right in your face, friend.

Another serious point of contention in Austin is that salary levels are not increasing anywhere near the skyrocketing living expenses.

Many believe the salary levels are a decade old and simply can’t keep up with the market conditions in Austin and while we’ll leave the “you are a remote worker, you shouldn’t earn as much since you moved to a less expensive locale” debate to another day, we will firmly assert that this problem will hold back the tech innovation and the overall economy in Austin.

In that massive thread in our Group, one member asked, “So I guess a question is: do we accept the idea that Austin is now only for those making 6 figures??”

What is so disheartening about the salary conditions is that changing this couldn’t possibly be done overnight – it requires time and structural changes, and the bigger a company is, the slower it is to turn the proverbial ship.

Meanwhile, numerous people retired early during the pandemic, or began freelancing or consulting full time. Many of these people aren’t likely to return to the workforce under current conditions, and they feel like they have less roots in Austin – they can live anywhere now. See how remote work has caused a ripple effect?

Do you remember when some tech executives in Austin reluctantly sent employees home as the pandemic hit, flippantly warning that it wouldn’t be a coronacation!? Bad behaviors like this and other employee treatment during the pandemic haven’t and will not be forgotten – the memories will remain as fresh as the time you got shoved by that bully in elementary school. You may have forgiven, but you’ll never forget. Trust has been broken.

Trust was also broken during the pandemic when people lost what they believed to be stable jobs. It has created a certain trepidation in the marketplace.

The pandemic has forever altered all of our lives as individuals. Thousands died from COVID-19, and those of us left behind lost loved ones. We were all sent home with no job security. Many of us became homeschool teachers and somehow also had to keep up with our careers. We were forced to share spaces with our partners, our children, our parents, our family.

Some would think all of this is a recipe for resentment, but in the majority of cases, what has happened is a serious shift in priorities to favor the family, to appreciate quality time, to find solace in more quiet time and a less full calendar.

People tell us they don’t intend on going out for drinks after work when they’re called back into the office – it turns out we actually like our kids or partners now that we’ve gotten to know them, or that we value our newfound connection to old hobbies. The priorities aren’t fleeting – this pandemic has changed us.

Because of this fundamental change in who we are, ongoing problems in the employment market are now magnified.

“Isms” still plague the hiring process. Ageism continues to be a very serious problem in Austin tech, for example. People tell us that they’re still experiencing sexism, racism, ableism, and every other sort of discrimination. In 2021. It’s unbelievable. You can say all of that is simply perception, but in this scenario, perception truly is reality. And because our priorities have shifted, our giveashitters are pretty low when it comes to tolerating bad actors.

That same shift has also lowered tolerance levels for burnout. One member in the Group pointed out that after the market crash in 2008, resource levels were depleted – and here we are in 2021, they haven’t been restored. People were burned out before the pandemic, and now they’re moving to the country to work remotely and begin healing this burnout that is coming to a head.

It’s difficult to deal with ghosting (be it computer-aided or overworked recruiters) when you’re already burned out and thinking you’re the only one. It’s giving this sector a terrible reputation that is spreading.

Resources aren’t the only factor here that is stuck in 2008. Companies were so used to getting a flood of applications for every single job listing, their ATS (applicant tracking system) filters were implemented accordingly. The volume of applications has dropped, yet the filters remain overly restrictive. They put their ATS on auto-pilot once upon a time, and it remains that way, yet they continue to reach out to us in confusion, asking us where all the applicants are.

In the eyes of tech talent, the hiring process has deteriorated. Simultaneously, in the eyes of companies hiring, the process has been improved. Enhanced.

The disconnect here is not in the unrealistic expectations previously outlined, or the rising opacity in salaries, but in the actual mechanics of the hiring process. Even smaller companies have added additional rounds of interviews and ridiculous red tape in what is an effort in vain to compete with the Googles of the world. There’s a lot of what I would call “playing office” going on, with non-technical hiring managers hiring for technical roles, or unrelated staff being roped into panel interviews to weigh in on whether or not someone is a “culture fit.”

The process has become lengthy and demanding with endless personality tests, whiteboard tests, Zoom calls, questionnaires, more phone and video calls, aptitude tests, and so forth. Most people have come to accept these as hoops to jump through, but the practice of having job seekers do extensive unpaid projects as part of their job application is creating deep resentment and a growing resistance. No one expects to shake a hand and get a job today, but doing a 12 hour assignment that is due in 24 hours is unreasonable, especially unpaid and with no promise of their intellectual property being protected.

It started off as a way to aide candidates into demonstrating their true skills and it was simple. But over time, the practice has “evolved.” It feels to some like every Austin tech recruiter and hiring manager went to some evil underground conference a few years ago and were brainwashed into thinking that if they ALL assign abusive tasks, no one in the sector will notice because they’ll just accept that it’s “how things are done now.” But that’s not happening and the overly complicated process combined with other market factors is driving seriously qualified tech talent out of Austin.

The hiring process has continued to degrade and for no good reason. We actually built ADJ in a way that would directly connect hiring manager and job seeker, promoting the concept of simplifying the hiring process. Yet here we are.

The final nail in the coffin is that candidates and employers are blaming each other for a power imbalance, and thinking that their situation is unique. A feeling of isolation is growing due to peoples’ inability to openly discuss this process – both hiring folks and job seekers.

The bottom line is that numerous market conditions have converged to create a scenario where people are tired and simply won’t settle anymore. Expectations have changed. And we have changed as people.

We will inevitably get hate mail because of this editorial and folks will say that the very publication of this piece will push people out of town, but we would argue that if no one makes an effort to diagnose the growing illness, it will metastasize.