An Utterz- Update On Lani

Simply push play to get the update!

Benn Rosales is the Founder and CEO of The American Genius (AG), national news network for tech and entrepreneurs, proudly celebrating 10 years in publishing, recently ranked as the #5 startup in Austin. Before founding AG, he founded one of the first digital media strategy firms in the nation and also acquired several other firms. His resume prior includes roles at Apple and Kroger Foods, specializing in marketing, communications, and technology integration. He is a recipient of the Statesman Texas Social Media Award and is an Inman Innovator Award winner. He has consulted for numerous startups (both early- and late-stage), has built partnerships and bridges between tech recruiters and the best tech talent in the industry, and is well known for organizing the digital community through popular monthly networking events. Benn does not venture into the spotlight often, rather believes his biggest accomplishments are the talent he recruits, develops, and gives all credit to those he's empowered.

1. gotbob

February 28, 2008 at 1:32 pm

Wishing her a quicker recovery that predicted.

2. Dale Chumbley

February 28, 2008 at 1:46 pm

Thank you Benn for the update! Continued blessing to you and Lani for a speedy recovery. Allow it to happen and don’t try and force it. Praying for you both through this challenging time!

3. Chris Shouse

February 28, 2008 at 1:47 pm

My prayers are still with you and I know this will be a thing of the past soon GET WELL

4. Matthew Rathbun

February 28, 2008 at 1:53 pm

I know it’s rough in the short term, but that’s great news for the low run! Wishing your family all the best!

5. Jennifer Wilson - Agent Solutions

February 28, 2008 at 2:00 pm

Thank you Benn. You both are in my thoughts daily. Here’s to a speedy recovery.

6. Teresa Boardman

February 28, 2008 at 2:04 pm

Now you need to make her laugh, she will recover faster.

7. @mikeneumann

February 28, 2008 at 2:05 pm

I haven’t stopped praying for you both, and will continue to do so. Just let me know if I can do “more”. 🙂 Hang in there, Lani.

8. Maureen Francis

February 28, 2008 at 2:09 pm

Nasty virus, but happy you got great news from the Docs. Get better quickly!

9. Susan Reynolds

February 28, 2008 at 2:16 pm

The good news outweighs the bad news and I’m so thankful for that. Tell Lani I send a big hello and hope to see her again soon.

10. Sarah Cooper

February 28, 2008 at 2:22 pm

Thank you for the update, and poooooooor Lani. I hope she’ll be feeling better soon. Learning what’s going on is relief, hearing that it can be healed is a blessing! I’m so glad she can walk and is smiling!!

11. Robert D. Ashby

February 28, 2008 at 2:28 pm

Thanks for the update Benn. I will continue prayer for a miraculous recovery so we can see her twittering away again soon.

12. Connie Reece

February 28, 2008 at 2:35 pm

So glad to hear that while the short-term effects will be pretty miserable, there is no major disorder or life-threatening disease going on. Thank God for that. Lani, take all the time you need to heal, get lots of bed rests, follow the doctor’s orders (yes, I mean that, young lady; you’d better behave). We need your cheery self back online soon. Most of all we just want you well.

Benn, please let me know when she is well enough for a visit.

13. Ines

February 28, 2008 at 2:56 pm

Oh man!! I’m glad it’s nothing major – although I suffer from vertigo and it’s the single most uncomfortable and frustrating thing in the universe!! Get better girl! and soon you’ll be able to focus, I promise!

14. Tom at The Real Estate Bloggers

February 28, 2008 at 2:56 pm

Benn

Thanks for the update and I am very thankful that this is a short term problem for Lani.

15. Bob Wilson

February 28, 2008 at 3:18 pm

Benn, I’ve been thinking of Lani most of the morning. My sister called me this morning to tell me my 85 year old father had a heart attack. We have been fearing a stroke for some time, so it was a twisted kind of relief that we experienced (some will understand that. If you don’t, you are lucky). He is resting, but is not a candidate for the bypass he needs.

I don’t know Lani, but the moment I saw my father in the hospital bed, I thought of her and had to check here for an update. My thoughts and prayers are with both of you.

16. Jeff Royce

February 28, 2008 at 3:46 pm

Benn and Lani,

Great to hear this good news. I hope the bug goes away quickly.

17. Jennifer Castillo

February 28, 2008 at 3:48 pm

I am a n00b here, but I have been reading this blog for a couple of weeks now. I am glad to here the positive update on your wife. A speedy recovery to her!

18. Kim Wood

February 28, 2008 at 4:35 pm

We appreciate your updates with whatever method you can give them !!!
    Thank you! We miss her.

Not only has Lani been in my thoughts daily, but you, Benn, as well, as her “caretaker”. It’s hard to see someone you love out of whack.

19. Andy Kaufman

February 28, 2008 at 5:17 pm

Phew… glad to hear that there’s a diagnosis & that there shouldn’t be any permanent effects, but sad that her recovery might take a while and that we won’t be able to rage SXSW together next week ;(

Can we joke around about this yet? I just hope it wasn’t all the youtube earworms on twitter that caused it. 😛

20. Teri Lussier

February 28, 2008 at 6:04 pm

Andy gets an elbow in the rib from me. 🙂

Give Lani a gentle hug. Sending continued well wishes.

21. JB

February 28, 2008 at 7:11 pm

And the congregation said, Amen!

22. Rob Aubrey

February 28, 2008 at 7:14 pm

Hi Ben, Thanks for the updates, It is awsesome news and you guys are in my prayers.

23. francine hardaway

February 28, 2008 at 7:18 pm

Thank God! So happy she’s getting better. I have been searching for updates. I only know Lani from Susan Reynolds and Twitter, but I found myself compelled to search every day for updates on her condition, and even did some Googling myself. One thing that produces her symptoms is Meniere’s syndrome, and that lasts a long time. I hope it’s not that. Give her the love of a stranger.

24. Hang in there.

Rudy + 4

25. Lucretia

February 28, 2008 at 8:11 pm

I’m so glad to hear that it turned out to be something that isn’t permanent, life-threatening, or untreatable!!

Was more worried after your cryptic twitter update from last night’s specialist. What today’s specialist said makes much sense.
    Are they giving her any anti-emetics still for nausea? or is that hopefully not a factor any more?

Send tons of gentle hugs to Lani. Hopefully her progress will out do the projections – but either way, tell her to take it easy!!!

26. Todd Carpenter

February 28, 2008 at 8:30 pm

Lani, Lani, Lani, you’re supposed to keep your inner ear AWAY form those public drinking fountains. :p

Get well soon!

27. Derek

February 28, 2008 at 9:13 pm

The comments doesn’t sound too good, (but I am reading that the issue is not serious – so there is a little bit of good news) but since I am nearly deaf could someone give me a run down on what was said?

Either way, hurry up and get better Lani. Don’t make me go cuss you out and order you to get well soon like some guy did last week (According to fark.com) to his wife who was in a coma. Apparently, he cussed her out and she snapped out of the coma!

28. Mariana

February 28, 2008 at 9:43 pm

I am with Derek B. – I cannot get the Utterz to play for me. Can we get a written run down? Please?

29. Benn Rosales

February 28, 2008 at 9:53 pm

I’m spending the first night I’ve had with Lani in days, I promise tomorrow I will write something. I’m sorry for any inconvenience.

30. Mariana

February 28, 2008 at 9:55 pm

Benn – YAY! Enjoy your night! Tell Lani we love her!

31. gotbob

February 28, 2008 at 10:13 pm

There’s no need to apologize for spending time with the family. Enjoy

32. Lucretia

February 28, 2008 at 11:48 pm

Derek & Mariana:

The short version is that the new specialist believes that Lani has a viral infection in her inner ear. She is being treated with steroids to reduce the swelling, and diaretics to reduce swelling and possibility of scarring… and valium.
    Short term: she will keep having the vertigo for a few weeks until this is resolved.

No computer, lots of bed rest, lots of healing – anticipated 2-3 weeks before day-to-day activities resume. Balance issues could continue for a few months – but it is not a life-long condition.

She seems to be improving somewhat – is very happy to hear & see all of the support.

Hope this helps.

33. Mariana

February 29, 2008 at 8:48 am

Lucretia- Thank you!

Lani – WOW! Thank Goodness this is something that you will recover fully from! No Computer … That will be tough, but in a fwe weeks you will just have all kinds of cool stuff to catch up on.

Heal quickly! 🙂

34. Benn Rosales

February 29, 2008 at 9:21 am

Lucretia, you are a blessing, thank you.

35. Rebekah

February 29, 2008 at 9:54 am

Thanks for the update, Benn! Please let Lani know I’m praying for all of you and for her a quick recovery.

36. Daniel Rothamel, The Real Estate Zebra

February 29, 2008 at 10:24 am

Benn,

This is good news, indeed. I know that being able to have an accurate diagnosis relieves a whole lot of stress. Now that you know what you are dealing with, you and Lani can concentrate on rest and recuperation. An inner-ear infection can’t stop a Genius!

Kari and I will continue to keep you both in our thoughts and prayers.

37. Derek

February 29, 2008 at 12:14 pm

Lucretia:

Thanks for the explanation!

Lani:

Hurry up and get better, I gotta have someone to tell me I’m crazy.

38. Ginger Wilcox

February 29, 2008 at 1:05 pm

I am really, really happy to hear the diagnosis. As much as the short term stinks, short term pain is definitely better than long term. After a very severe car accident in my early twenties, I had a severe case of vertigo that lasted about three months with it progressively improving over that period. Feel free to contact me if you want more info. I do still suffer occasional bouts with it, but nothing like that. It was not a fun experience. I definitely feel your pain and my thoughts are with Lani for a quick recovery.

Your business model doesn’t have to be a unicorn or a camel to succeed

(OPINION / EDITORIAL) It’s not unusual for people to suggest a new business model analogy, but this latest “camel” suggestion isn’t new or helpful.

Camels walking in desert, not the best business model.

This year in 2020 I’ve seen a great deal of unique takes on how our system works. From 45 all the way down to children instructing adults on how to wear masks properly. However, after reading this new article published by the Harvard Business Review, I don’t think I’ve ever seen something so out of touch with the rest of the business world. Here’s a brief synopsis on this article on business model.

The author has decided that now of all times it’s drastically important for startups and entrepreneurs to switch their business tactics. Changing from a heavy front-end investment or “startups worth over a billion dollars” colloquially called “Unicorns” to a more financially reserved business model. One he has tried to coin as the “Camel”, using references to the animal’s ability to survive “long periods of time without sustenance, withstand the scorching desert heat, and adapt to extreme variations in climate.”

The author then goes on to outline best practices for this new business plan: “Balance instead of burn”, “Camels are built for the long haul”, “Breadth and depth for resilience”.

Now I will admit that he’s not wrong on his take. It’s a well thought-out adjustment to a very short-term solution. You want to know why I’m sure of that? Because people figured this out decades ago.

The only place that a “Unicorn” system worked was in something like the Silicon Valley software companies. Where people can start with their billions of dollars and expect “blitzscaling” (a rapid building-up tactic) to actually succeed. The rest of the world knows that a slow and resilient pace is better suited for long term investments and growth. This ‘new’ business realization is almost as outdated as the 2000 Olympics.

The other reason I’m not thrilled with this analogy is that they’ve chosen an animal that doesn’t really work well. Camels are temperamental creatures that actually need a great deal of sustenance to survive those conditions they’ve mentioned. It’s water that they don’t need for long periods, once they stock up. They have to have many other resources up front to survive those harsh conditions the article writer mentioned. So by this analogy, it’s not that different than Silicon Valley’s strongly backed “startups.”

If he wanted to actually use the correct animal for this analogy, then he should call it a tortoise business plan. Actually, any type of reptile or shark would work. It would probably be a better comparison in temperament as well, if we’re talking ‘slow and steady wins the race.’ Whatever you do, consider your angle, and settle in for the long haul.

10 tips for anyone looking to up their professional game

(OPINION / EDITORIAL) It’s easy to get bogged down by the details, procrastinate, and feel unproductive. Here are a few tips to help you stay on track and crush your professional goals.

work productivity

Self-reflection is critical to a growth mindset, which you must have if you want to grow and improve. If you are ready to take your professional game to the next level, here are some stories and tips to help you remain focused on killing your goals.

1. Don’t compare yourself to others. Comparison is the thief of joy, as the quote goes. And, in the workplace it’s bound to make you second guess yourself and your abilities. This story explains when comparison can be useful, when to avoid it, and how to change your focus if it’s sucking the life out of you.

2. Burnout is real and the harder you work, the less productive you are. It’s an inverse relationship. But, there are ways to work smarter and have better life balance. Here are some tips to prioritize your workload and find more ease.

3. Stop procrastinating and start getting sh@t done. The reason we procrastinate may be less about not wanting to do something and more about the emotions underlying the task. Ready to get going and stop hemming and hawing, you got this and here’s the way to push through.

4. Perfection is impossible and if you seek this in your work and life, it’s likely you are very frustrated. Let that desire go and learn to be happy with excellence over perfection.

5. If you think you’re really awesome and seriously deserve more money, more responsibility, more of anything and are ready to drop the knowledge on your supervisor or boss, you may want to check this story out to see if your spinning in the right direction.

6. Technology makes it so easy to get answers so quickly, it’s hard to wait around for things to happen. We like instant gratification. Yet, that is another reason procrastination is a problem for some of us, but every person has a different way/reason for procrastinating. Learn what’s up with that.

7. Making choices can be a challenge for some of us (me included) who worry we are making the wrong choice. If you’ve ever struggled with decision making, you know it can be paralyzing and then you either make no decision or choose the safest option. What we have here is the Ambiguity Effect and it can be a real time suck. Kick ambiguity to the curb.

8. If you are having trouble interacting with colleagues or wondering why you don’t hear back from contacts it could be you are creeping folks out unintentionally (we hope). Here’s how to #belesscreepy.

9. In the social media era building your brand and marketing are critical, yet, if you’re posting to the usual suspects and seeing very little engagement, you’ve got a problem. Wharton Business School even did a study on how to fix the situation and be more shareable.

10. Every time you do a presentation that one co-worker butts in and calls you out. Dang. If you aren’t earning respect on the job, you will be limited in your ability to get to the next level. Respect is critical to any leadership position, as well as to making a difference in any role you may have within an organization, but actions can be misconstrued. There are ways to take what may be negative situations and use them to your advantage, building mutual respect.

You have the tools you need, now get out there, work hard, play hard and make sh*t happen. Oh, and remember, growth requires continual reflection and action, but you got this.

Why soft skills are even more essential in online era

(OPINION / EDITORIAL) Since many of us aren’t seeing our co-workers in person these days, our soft skills are even more important in the online working space.

Skype video chat with person writing in notebook. Soft skills are critical online.

When did we start thinking of “soft” as bad? I mean, we’ve got soft serve (excellent), softball (good exercise), fabric soft-ener (another industry I’m enjoying killing as a millennial). And we’ve got soft skills.

Or at least… I hope we do.

The shift to non-optional remote working has been difficult for a lot of us, especially for everyone who forgets to press mute before making sure the kids behave. But it’ll take more than being hot-mic savvy to make it through the foreseeable future. Brush up on these soft skills while we’re waiting on a vaccine, and it’ll make the coming months (years?) much easier.

1. Tone mastery

Do you know the difference between “Hey, Brenda, can we have a 1:1 at 12:30pm to go over the laser-equipped yoga pants presentation details?” and “Brenda, we need to talk…”?

If not, you might not have a great grasp on how to say with your typey-words what you can no longer say with your facial expressions. You don’t need to throw an emoji or exclamation point into every sentence to get your points across, but you do have the power to keep your coworkers’ heart rates in a safe range by explaining what exactly you need from them in your initial messages.

Use that power wisely.

2. Checking in

There’s no water cooler talk if there’s no water cooler, right?

Making and maintaining connections is more important now than ever, natural introversion be damned. You wanna be a star, don’tcha? Keep up relationships with public shoutouts, inquiries, and reaction images, and you’ll keep up morale while maintaining and boosting your potential for growth in the company.

Even if you’re not a small-talk kind of person, just a drop in for updates, meeting minutes, or sharing a relevant article via appropriate chatrooms and DMs can help hone your soft skills.

“Karen, this MLM article reminded me of your anti-Scentsy tangent you forgot we could all hear, maybe send this to your pushy ex-friend.”

“Hey, Ravindra, how’s the new laptop working out? All good? No ‘Kill all Humans’ protocols like the last one?”

Simple blips like this can add up like couch change. If you’re an admin, make a general chats section, and work in enough time in meetings to allow everyone to have a bit of a chat before getting down to business.

3. Make yourself available

This was important before the pandemic, honestly, but it bears repeating now, especially for everyone in a leadership position. If you’re not making time for check-ins, constantly cancelling meetings, or just generally enjoying being gone when people need you…figure out a way to not. Delegate what you can, bring on a VA, shorten that vacation, whatever you have to do. Everyone’s struggling, and being captain means your crew is looking to you. Don’t let the general air of desperation lull you into thinking a metaphorical keelhauling is out of the question—that extra power still comes with extra responsibility.

Keep yourself from double-bookings, cancellations, and absences as much as possible, and things will continue to improve internally… Even if they don’t in the outside world.

Aesop had a fable about an oak tree and a little river reed. When a storm came, the hardened oak tree fell and died, while the flexible reed bent with the wind and lived. We’re in the storm now, and everyone’s doing their best not to break. Keep yourself rooted friends, but the moral here is to soften up.