Food delivery drivers, here’s a tip: Deliver the order, no matter the tip

(OPINION / EDITORIAL) Food delivery drivers admit to passing on trips where they aren’t sure there is a tip. Is that justifiable, or is it just the way the cookie crumbles?

Food delivery drivers asking for payment with a portable card scanner.

After hearing customers complaining about not getting the food they ordered through a delivery app, or getting it hours late and cold, delivery drivers admitted they were not accepting certain orders if they thought there would be little or no tip. This one makes my blood boil on everyone’s behalf. With my service industry background, I am super protective of servers who work largely for tips. As a customer, I understand that tipping is a choice. I choose to tip well and wish everyone would. Even though tips are a large part of their income, it’s not clear to customers exactly how drivers get paid. That may be part of the problem.

The same rule of dining at a full service restaurant applies: Don’t eat out (or order the food delivery service) if you can’t afford to tip. It’s part of the social contract. Delivery drivers, though, also opted into that social contract when they agreed to drive for a food delivery service. In the report in the Houston KHOU news story, drivers aren’t even sure there is no or little tip; they are guessing from the estimated pay in the app (not a perfect measure). Just as servers have the obligation to wait on people who may or may not tip, drivers have the obligation to deliver food that customers have ordered.

Most people tip decently, many tip very well, and a few do not tip well, or at all. Some people are simply lousy tippers. Others, who may truly need the service during the pandemic, such as the elderly, disabled, or shut-in, may be unaware of how tipping in the app works, or they may assume the full delivery fee goes to the driver. It’s a more complicated system than interacting with a server, where you pay for the product and tip as payment for the service. With delivery apps, you pay for a product, pay a fee for the service, and are expected to tip on top of that.

The apps have to make their money somehow. They have created complex online systems that gather, match up, and distribute massive amounts of personal information and manage to get your food to you (usually) while keeping your data private. Those types of systems and securities aren’t cheap. However, with the apps charging both the customer and the restaurant service fees (sometimes way too much, as we noted last year), and with drivers responsible for their car maintenance, gas, and expenses, the apps certainly can come across like the cat who ate the canary. Mind you, several of them have partnered with restaurants and food trucks to charge them less during the pandemic, and that’s a good thing.

How much do drivers make? Based on recent articles on Indeed.com, and appjobs.com, most delivery services pay a minimum fare per trip, plus some combination of distance + time + tip. When all is said and done, including tip, the per-hour rate varies between $9.00 per hour up to $25.00, depending on the market in which you are driving and the app. Most seem to average somewhere in between $13.00-$18.00/hour (gross earnings, and including tips).

Some apps, like DoorDash, will guarantee a minimum per ride, in case the base + tip does not meet the minimum amount. Most apps give 100% of tips to the driver, and others may offer some benefits, such as discounted/subsidized car repairs. Others offer bonuses for a certain number of deliveries per month, and still others may pay (and charge) more at peak times. I hope more of these services examine their practices and provide some of these drivers’ perks and benefits.

The variations in rate and perks are numerous, but two things stay the same. These delivery drivers have committed to providing a service, and tips are optional. I hate to say it, because I believe in tipping big, but it’s in the job description. In my experience, most people hold up their end of the bargain and tip. Others may not. If you don’t like it, then maybe driving for a delivery service isn’t for you.

Joleen Jernigan is an ever-curious writer, grammar nerd, and social media strategist with a background in training, education, and educational publishing. A native Texan, Joleen has traveled extensively, worked in six countries, and holds an MA in Teaching English as a Second Language. She lives in Austin and constantly seeks out the best the city has to offer.

1. François

March 16, 2021 at 10:45 pm

I’m glad this is an opinion piece, because this is quite a privileged position you’re taking.

Your claim to empathize for those in the service industry based on your experience in the same industry is completely disqualified by the rest of the article. And from this perspective, it sounds like a recent experience may have triggered the writing of this article. Then trying to support it with high-level information from other sites without full context of demographics? This article just sounded like an uninformed rant.

As it’s efficient and convenient for you choose to place an order from the comfort of your own home while you sit back in your nice home and continue writing articles on a pricey computer while you wait for your untipped delivery, a driver’s choice is to pick the delivery that makes them more earnings. And then do it again 20+ more times that night. You can’t fault anyone for picking something that they can actually choose is more beneficial for them because it’s less convenient for you. Frankly, it’s awesome those platforms have tip indicators to weed out those privileged few who don’t want to tip.

Hopefully you’re empathy is louder than your article.

– Former Delivery Driver turned App + User Research consultant

2. Kevin Murphy

March 19, 2021 at 11:08 am

1: DoorDash has no obligation beyond generating value for its shareholders. At least that’s how they view it

2: I’m an independent contractor. I get to choose what jobs I take.

3: tipping is a misnomer in gig delivery world. The customer is actually bidding to get the attention of a driver and receive warm, intact food.

4: a waitress’ shoes don’t run on gasoline and require expensive maintenance. I do my brakes roughly quarterly. That’s more than two grand a year alone.

5: a waitress works in a relatively safe environment and is entitled to workman’s comp if she is injured, she also enjoys the tax and other financial advantages that come with being a w2 employee.

We really need to change the culture from the idea of tipping to bidding. I’m not a waiter. I’m an independent operator in the logistics industry.

We have more uncommon with independent truckers than waitstaff

3. Sam

March 19, 2021 at 11:58 am

I don’t know anyone who would willingly accept $3 to drive to chipotle for example, possibly wait for the food to be ready and then drive 5 miles or so to an apartment complex that will take 10 minutes to even find the customer. Feel free to sign up and take those orders! There is so shortage in low paying orders. Your non-tip friends will be so thankful you lost money and ran up your car miles for them.

4. Joseph

March 19, 2021 at 12:11 pm

You clearly have no idea how the system works for us drivers. When we deliver your food, we have to use our gas, put wear and tear on our vehicles that we are responsible to maintain, and drive however far away you choose not to tip for. When you get a $3 offer for a 19-mile round trip, you have no choice but to decline. Some hours, we don’t get any offers at all and that zero an hour rate is made up through tips in the subsequent hours. When you don’t tip, and we have to sit there for a half hour or longer waiting for your order, after taking us 15 minutes to get there, and then 15 minutes to you, we have effectively been paid $3/hr. Get your food yourself.

5. Brian

March 19, 2021 at 12:17 pm

Nobody is OBLIGATED to take your order, as a driver you’re an independent contractor which means you can refuse any gig for any reason. Also, I’d say over half DO NOT TIP. Do not say it’s economy or any other excuse, delivery is a luxury service, if you can’t afford to tip, get your own food.

6. Shannon

March 19, 2021 at 12:17 pm

What you don’t call out in this article is the difference between an independent contractor, as most drivers are, vs. The employee status that servers and corporate driving jobs are.

This gig relationship between driver and customer is that of a job, a quote, an acceptance or a decline.

7. Taylor

March 19, 2021 at 12:24 pm

We are not obligated to do ANYTHING. We are not employees of a company like the waitress you used in your analogy. I am an independent contractor. I am in control of who gets their food and whose food sits on the rack to rot. Food delivery is a LUXURY service and if you can’t afford it take your own car or your own feet to the restaurant and get it yourself. While I’m declining your order screaming NO TIP? LOW TIP? NO TRIP. If you want your food hot, fresh, and in a timely manner TIP YOUR DRIVER. It’s a simple equation.

8. MMK

March 19, 2021 at 12:30 pm

Oh Joleen, while you mention the following in your article, “Delivery drivers, though, also opted into that social contract when they agreed to drive for a food delivery service”. This insinuates that we signed up for the job and should accept low offers or tips. You forgot one thing, we signed up for this as CONTRACTORS, which means we have every right to pick and choose which orders we want to take. I refuse to take anything not worth my time and wear and tear on my car. This is a side gig for me, so I have that option. Door dash base pay is $3. Can you reasonably justify that I should take an order to a customer 12 miles away for $3??

9. Rich

March 19, 2021 at 12:38 pm

Drivers are independent contractors and can choose to accept or decline whatever they want. If people want delivery during a pandemic (or otherwise) they need to tip.

10. Kyle

March 19, 2021 at 12:58 pm

The reason we must cherry pick, is because ( i work doordash) doordash will pay you 2 dollars per order (less if its a double order) and then whatever tip is. a GOOD (speedy) average delivery of about 2-3 miles is about 15 minutes…. people only really order food during certain timeframes. So for me to take all the no tip orders (2 dollars) i could be making a wopping 8 dollars a hour… while putting more wear and tear upon my vehicle that comes out of my bills aswell… and keep in mind that 8 dollars is BEFOR taxes.. So its more the issue that DD doesnt help cover the fact of low paying orders. instead they keep slapping more and more fees on the customers and resteraunts while paying their drivers very little.

11. Shannon

March 19, 2021 at 1:18 pm

It’s clear that you have absolutely no idea how delivery apps pay drivers, and that you don’t understand that it’s a very different job than being a server in a restaurant. I’m curious as to why you didn’t bother to learn how drivers are paid before making ridiculous assumptions about what is and is not appropriate for tipping them. Just an FYI, drivers are independent contractors, not employees. They are absolutely NOT obligated to take any order, ever. Servers may be, drivers are not. We are literally risking our lives out on the roads to bring food to people so they don’t have to. It’s a joke that you think that is the same thing as having to bring an order from the kitchen to a table.

12. Adah

March 19, 2021 at 1:23 pm

This is such a privileged perspective. No, I’m not obligated to deliver somebody’s McDonald’s for $3. I didn’t sign up for that. I’m a contractor and I get to choose who deserves my service. App companies need to do a better job of educating customers about why they should tip, since their base pay is so low. Be mad at the company of your food is cold. I have bills to pay.

13. Vet DD Driver

March 19, 2021 at 2:05 pm

It is true that DoorDash is obligated to get the food delivered, but it is incorrect to state that the individual drivers are obligated to take what ever order they’re handed. Not just because that’s specifically not the agreement between DD and the drivers, but because we are independent contractors. DoorDash could very easily change the terms, bring all drivers in house and treat them as employees, but they would have a different but similar issue. Their whole business model depends on whether or not the customer tips. In reference to the base pay, the initial offer is always $3 flat no matter how far the mileage. You are out of your mind if I will take an order 12 miles out, 12 miles back for $3. So, I decline it and it gets sent to another driver for $3.50. They will decide if their time is worth pennies per hour or not, or decide for themselves if they are obligated to take the order or not and if declined will get offered again to another driver for $3.75. Meanwhile the order is sitting on a counter getting cold. Your blame is placed incorrectly in this article , at least in terms of DoorDash and UberEats. Grub Hub is slightly different, but still walks the fine line of employee and contractor.

I would suggest you drive for a year, and revise this article at a later date.

14. Brian

March 19, 2021 at 2:08 pm

Drivers are not obligated to do anything. Unlike servers we are contractors, not employees. Your “tip” is part of a bid to secure service. And the MAJORITY of orders on DoorDash have no trip. I don’t know where you get off saying there are only a few low/no tippers.

15. Michael Fisher

March 19, 2021 at 3:17 pm

Hi I’m a dasher, or an independent contractor. The doordash and many other platforms are set up for people to choose to accept a trip or not. I’m not a waiter. I don’t make an hour wage + plus tips. So with that said I cannot take every 3 dollar trip doordash offer me . I wouldn’t make any money. Sorry I got bills to pay too. Would you take a trip for 3 dollars going 10 miles? I think not. If you do two trips like that in an hour. You would make a whooping 6 dollars. No not me sorry. It’s simple having your food delivered to you is an luxury. If you can’t tip 10% or better then go pick that shit up yourself. Independent contractor aka dashers don’t work for pennies.

16. Victoria Brent

March 19, 2021 at 5:23 pm

Servers are employees, which is why they are obligated to serve all customers. Delivery drivers are independent contractors. Each delivery is a new contract. Doordash makes an offer, we decide if we want to accept it. Doordash base pay is $3. So if a customer doesn’t tip, Doordash offers $3 to drive to the restaurant, pick up the food (after possibly waiting some time for it), drive to the customer and deliver. $3, no matter if it is 1 mile or 15. If I accept a $3 order going 10+ miles, I am losing money on gas, time and car maintenance. If drivers were obligated to accept all deliveries, regardless of tip, there would be no drivers on the road. Because eventually, your car is going to need service, and if you are making less than you spend on gas, that is the end of your delivery career.

17. Pingback: Open Response to American Genius Editorial "No Matter the Tip"

18. Andrea

March 19, 2021 at 7:02 pm

Also keep in mind that restaurant servers are not putting themselves at risk. Delivery drivers drive hundreds of miles a day and are more susceptible to car accidents. We have to walk through ice and snow and many have been bitten by dogs. Many drivers have had their vehicles stolen while delivering.

We deliver to sketchy homes and apartments without lighting in the dark by ourselves. Think about that for a moment. Would you want to deliver a $3 order to a 3rd floor apartment with absolutely no lighting. It is scary.

19. Chad

March 20, 2021 at 12:17 am

Wrong. Drivers who work for a 3rd party delivery service are independent contractors. It is not the same as a food service employee who has a guaranteed minimum wage. When you “tip” a 3rd party delivery driver, you are bidding on the services of an independent contractor. They are free to choose to work for the highest bidders. It is an entirely different model than conventional food service. Get used to it.

20. M. Smith

March 20, 2021 at 8:52 am

The author falls all over herself trying to reassure us that she “choose[s] to tip well.” Methinks she doth protest too much. That being said, as a long-time driver let me say this… I am an INDEPENDENT CONTRACTOR, not some wage slave. If you don’t offer me a satisfactory tip upfront that makes the OFFER of providing the delivery service worth my time and expense, then guess what? I will NOT accept the offer. You can then cross your fingers and hope that the dregs of the delivery world are online and willing to cart your food to you for free. NO TIP, NO TRIP.

21. Scott

March 20, 2021 at 12:06 pm

When a delivery customer doesn’t tip, the driver ends up in the negative when you factor in fuel/insurance etc. What do the wait staff lose if they don’t receive a tip?

Gratuity is not what it used to be, and like it or not, delivery is a convenience, if the delivery doesn’t pay enough to cover our expenses and a little to provide a profit then we’re under no obligation to take the order.

Go ask any server or restaurant owner for that matter and see how many of them would be willing to take a customer order if they knew that order was a guarantee negative income order?

22. Justin

March 20, 2021 at 12:55 pm

I hate to bust your bubble, but gig workers aren’t employees in the sense that waitstaff is. Gig workers are contractors, and as such retain the right to pick and choose jobs which will pay a decent wage. When they are required to take every order, they become employees. See how that’s working in California.

23. Mark

March 21, 2021 at 10:35 am

– most people do not tip or do not tip well enough

-I am here to provide a service AND make money, I am not here to work for charity. If I am not going to make money on an order (gas, miles driven, etc) I don’t take it

-because I dont take crappy orders. I make about $40 dollars per hour, my time is worth way more than anything less than $8.

– I am an independent contractor NOT an employee so I have the right to decline every order in sight.

-some orders can be as low as $1 in base pay if the customer does not tip. We dont get more if the customer pays more.

-doordash does NOT have a minimum amount. The lowest it goes on there is $2

-car repairs dont pay me

-most apps have ridiculous offers. Would you drive 10 miles or more for $3-$6 dollars? For me it would never happen. I have my limit and minimum

24. Rebecca Knighton

March 21, 2021 at 6:31 pm

This is not correct. Doordash pays $3-5 per deliver plus tip. We get 100% of the tip but if people don’t tip, we get paid $3 to deliver the food. That isn’t making any money at that point. Even the fastest delivery takes at least 20 mins and at $3 every 20 mins is still only $9 an hour, and that’s not including down time between deliveries where we aren’t making any money. I range somewhere between $10-20 an hour during busy times but there are days that I am out dashing for 4 hours and only make $20. That isn’t worth my time. So yes, if the delivery isn’t worth me starting my car because the customer wants to order $50 worth of Taco Bell but can’t afford $3 of a tip (making the delivery pay $6), I’m not going to deliver it. It’s the perks of being a freelance worker. If you want to take every order, then the app needs to pay us a base hourly rate like a waiter.

This website is like Pinterest for WFH desk setups

(OPINION / EDITORIAL) If you’ve been working from home at the same, unchanged desk setup, it may be time for an upgrade. My Desk Tour has the inspiration you need.

Man browsing desk setups on My Desk Tour

Whether you’re sitting, standing, or reclining your way through the pandemic, you’re most likely doing it from home these days. You’re also probably contending with an uninspired desk configuration hastily cobbled together in 2020, which—while understandable—might be bringing you down. Fortunately, there’s an easy, personable solution to spark your creativity: My Desk Tour.

My Desk Tour is a small website started by Jonathan Cai. On this site, you will find pictures of unique and highly customized desk setups; these desk configurations range from being optimized for gamers to coders to audiophiles, so there’s arguably something for everyone—even if you’re just swinging by to drool for a bit.

Cai also implements a feature in which site users can tag products seen in desk photos with direct links to Amazon so you don’t have to poke around the Internet for an hour in search of an obscure mouse pad. This is something Cai initially encountered on Reddit and, after receiving guidance from various subreddits on the issue of which mouse to purchase, he found the inspiration to create My Desk Tour.

The service itself is pretty light—the landing page consists of a few desk setup photos and a rotating carousel of featured configurations—but it has great potential to grow into a desk-focused social experience of sorts.

It’s also a great place to drop in on if you’re missing the extra level of adoration for your desk space that a truly great setup invokes. Since most people who have been working from home since the spring didn’t receive a ton of advance notice, it’s reasonable to assume that the majority of folks have resigned themselves to a boring or inefficient desk configuration. With a bit of inspiration from My Desk Tour, that can change overnight.

Of course, some of the desk options featured on the site are a bit over the top. One configuration boasts dual ultra-wide monitors stacked atop each other, and another shows off a monitor flanked by additional vertical monitors—presumably for the sake of coding. If you’re scrambling to stay employed, such a setup might be egregious.

If you’re just looking for a new way to orient your workspace for the next few months, though, My Desk Tour is worth a visit.

10 tips for anyone looking to up their professional work game

(OPINION / EDITORIAL) It’s easy to get bogged down by the details, procrastinate, and feel unproductive. Here are a few tips to help you stay on track and crush your professional goals.

work productivity

Self-reflection is critical to a growth mindset, which you must have if you want to grow and improve. If you are ready to take your professional game to the next level, here are some stories and tips to help you remain focused on killing your work goals.

1. Don’t compare yourself to others. Comparison is the thief of joy, as the quote goes. And, in the workplace it’s bound to make you second guess yourself and your abilities. This story explains when comparison can be useful, when to avoid it, and how to change your focus if it’s sucking the life out of you.

2. Burnout is real and the harder you work, the less productive you are. It’s an inverse relationship. But, there are ways to work smarter and have better life balance. Here are some tips to prioritize your workload and find more ease.

3. Stop procrastinating and start getting sh@t done. The reason we procrastinate may be less about not wanting to do something and more about the emotions underlying the task. Ready to get going and stop hemming and hawing, you got this and here’s the way to push through.

4. Perfection is impossible and if you seek this in your work and life, it’s likely you are very frustrated. Let that desire go and learn to be happy with excellence over perfection.

5. If you think you’re really awesome and seriously deserve more money, more responsibility, more of anything and are ready to drop the knowledge on your supervisor or boss, you may want to check this story out to see if your spinning in the right direction.

6. Technology makes it so easy to get answers so quickly, it’s hard to wait around for things to happen. We like instant gratification. Yet, that is another reason procrastination is a problem for some of us, but every person has a different way/reason for procrastinating. Learn what’s up with that.

7. Making choices can be a challenge for some of us (me included) who worry we are making the wrong choice. If you’ve ever struggled with decision making, you know it can be paralyzing and then you either make no decision or choose the safest option. What we have here is the Ambiguity Effect and it can be a real time suck. Kick ambiguity to the curb.

8. If you are having trouble interacting with colleagues or wondering why you don’t hear back from contacts it could be you are creeping folks out unintentionally (we hope). Here’s how to #belesscreepy.

9. In the social media era building your brand and marketing are critical, yet, if you’re posting to the usual suspects and seeing very little engagement, you’ve got a problem. Wharton Business School even did a study on how to fix the situation and be more shareable.

10. Every time you do a presentation that one co-worker butts in and calls you out. Dang. If you aren’t earning respect on the job, you will be limited in your ability to get to the next level. Respect is critical to any leadership position, as well as to making a difference in any role you may have within an organization, but actions can be misconstrued. There are ways to take what may be negative situations and use them to your advantage, building mutual respect.

You have the tools you need, now get out there, work hard, play hard, and make sh*t happen. Oh, and remember, growth requires continual reflection and action, but you got this.

The truth about unemployment from someone who’s been through it

(EDITORIAL) Unemployment benefits aren’t what you thought they were. Here’s a first-hand experience and what you need to know.

unemployment

Have I ever told you how I owed the government over two grand because of unemployment in 2019, and only just finished paying it back this year?

This isn’t exactly the forum for memoirs, but this is relevant to everyone. So I’ll tell y’all anyway.

It all started back in 2018 when I came into work early, microwaved my breakfast, poured coffee, and got pulled into a collaboration room to hear, “We love you and your work, April, but we’ve been bought out and you’re being laid off.”

It was kind of awkward carrying my stuff out to the car with that Jimmy Dean sandwich in my mouth.

More awkward still was the nine months of unemployment I went through afterwards. Between the fully clothed shower crying, the stream of job denial, catering to people who carried rocks in their nostrils at my part-time job (yes, ew, yes, really), and almost dying of no-health-insurance-itis, I learned a lot!

The bigger lesson though, came in the spring of the following year when I filed my taxes. I should back up for a moment and take the time to let those of you unfamiliar with unemployment in Texas in on a few things that aren’t common knowledge.

1: You’re only eligible if you were laid off. Not if you had quit. Not fired. Your former company can also choose to challenge your eligibility for benefits if they didn’t like your face on the way out. So the only way you’re 100% guaranteed to get paid in (what the state calls) “a timely manner”, is a completely amicable split.

2: Overpayments have to go back. Immediately. If there’s an error, like several thousand of Texans found out this week, the government needs that cash back before you can access any more. If you’re not watching your bank account to make sure you’re getting the exact same check each time and you have an overpayment, rest assured that mistake isn’t going to take long to correct. Unfortunately, if you spent that money unknowingly–thought you got an ‘in these uncertain times’ kinder and gentler adjustment and have 0 income, you have a problem. Tying into Coronavirus nonsense is point three!

3: There are no sick days. If ever you’re unable to work for any reason, be it a car accident, childbirth, horrible internal infection (see also no-health-insurance-itis), you are legally required to report it, and you will not be paid for any days you were incapacitated. Personally, my no-health-insurance-itis came with a bad fever and bedrest order that axed me out of my part time job AND killed my unemployment benefits for the week I spent getting my internal organs to like me again. But as it turned out, the payment denial came at the right time because–

4: Unemployment benefits are finite. Even if you choose to lie on your request forms about how hard you’re searching for work, coasting is ill-advised because once the number the state allots you runs out…it’s out. Don’t lie on your request forms, by the way. In my case, since I got cut from my part-time gig, I got a call from the Texas Workforce Commission about why my hours were short. I was able to point out where I’d reported my sickness to them and to my employer, so my unpaid week rolled over to a later request date. I continued to get paid right up until my hiring date which was also EXACTLY when my benefits ran out.

Unemployment isn’t a career, which is odd considering the fact that unemployment payments are qualified by the government as income.

Ergo, fact number five…

5: Your benefits? They’re taxed.

That’s right, you will be TAXED for not having a job.

The stereotype of the ‘lazy unemployment collector burdening society’ should be fading pretty quickly for the hitherto uninformed about now.

To bring it back to my story, I’d completely forgotten that when I filed for unemployment in the first place, I’d asked for my taxes NOT to be withheld from it–assuming that I wasn’t going to be searching for full time work for very long. I figured “Well, I’ll have a tax refund coming since I’ll get work again no problem, it’ll cancel out.”

Except, it was a problem. Because of the nine month situation.

I’d completely forgotten about it by the time I threw myself into my new job, but after doing my taxes, triple checking the laws and what I’d signed, it was clear. Somehow…despite being at my lowest point in life, I owed the highest amount in taxes, somewhere around the 2k mark.

Despite being based on a system that’s tied to how much income you were getting before, and all the frustrating “safeguards” put in place to keep payments as low and infrequent as possible, Uncle Sam still wants a bite out of the gas-station Hostess pie that is your unemployment check. And as I’m writing this, more and more people are finding that out. And even as we enter 2021, there is still more to be aware of – we’re not out of the woods yet.

I’d like to end this on a more positive note… So let’s say we’ve all been positively educated! That’s a net gain, surely.

Keep your heads up, and masked.