Food delivery drivers, here’s a tip: Deliver the order, no matter the tip

(OPINION / EDITORIAL) Food delivery drivers admit to passing on trips where they aren’t sure there is a tip. Is that justifiable, or is it just the way the cookie crumbles?

Food delivery drivers asking for payment with a portable card scanner.

After hearing customers complaining about not getting the food they ordered through a delivery app, or getting it hours late and cold, delivery drivers admitted they were not accepting certain orders if they thought there would be little or no tip. This one makes my blood boil on everyone’s behalf. With my service industry background, I am super protective of servers who work largely for tips. As a customer, I understand that tipping is a choice. I choose to tip well and wish everyone would. Even though tips are a large part of their income, it’s not clear to customers exactly how drivers get paid. That may be part of the problem.

The same rule of dining at a full service restaurant applies: Don’t eat out (or order the food delivery service) if you can’t afford to tip. It’s part of the social contract. Delivery drivers, though, also opted into that social contract when they agreed to drive for a food delivery service. In the report in the Houston KHOU news story, drivers aren’t even sure there is no or little tip; they are guessing from the estimated pay in the app (not a perfect measure). Just as servers have the obligation to wait on people who may or may not tip, drivers have the obligation to deliver food that customers have ordered.

Most people tip decently, many tip very well, and a few do not tip well, or at all. Some people are simply lousy tippers. Others, who may truly need the service during the pandemic, such as the elderly, disabled, or shut-in, may be unaware of how tipping in the app works, or they may assume the full delivery fee goes to the driver. It’s a more complicated system than interacting with a server, where you pay for the product and tip as payment for the service. With delivery apps, you pay for a product, pay a fee for the service, and are expected to tip on top of that.

The apps have to make their money somehow. They have created complex online systems that gather, match up, and distribute massive amounts of personal information and manage to get your food to you (usually) while keeping your data private. Those types of systems and securities aren’t cheap. However, with the apps charging both the customer and the restaurant service fees (sometimes way too much, as we noted last year), and with drivers responsible for their car maintenance, gas, and expenses, the apps certainly can come across like the cat who ate the canary. Mind you, several of them have partnered with restaurants and food trucks to charge them less during the pandemic, and that’s a good thing.

How much do drivers make? Based on recent articles on Indeed.com, and appjobs.com, most delivery services pay a minimum fare per trip, plus some combination of distance + time + tip. When all is said and done, including tip, the per-hour rate varies between $9.00 per hour up to $25.00, depending on the market in which you are driving and the app. Most seem to average somewhere in between $13.00-$18.00/hour (gross earnings, and including tips).

Some apps, like DoorDash, will guarantee a minimum per ride, in case the base + tip does not meet the minimum amount. Most apps give 100% of tips to the driver, and others may offer some benefits, such as discounted/subsidized car repairs. Others offer bonuses for a certain number of deliveries per month, and still others may pay (and charge) more at peak times. I hope more of these services examine their practices and provide some of these drivers’ perks and benefits.

The variations in rate and perks are numerous, but two things stay the same. These delivery drivers have committed to providing a service, and tips are optional. I hate to say it, because I believe in tipping big, but it’s in the job description. In my experience, most people hold up their end of the bargain and tip. Others may not. If you don’t like it, then maybe driving for a delivery service isn’t for you.

Joleen Jernigan is an ever-curious writer, grammar nerd, and social media strategist with a background in training, education, and educational publishing. A native Texan, Joleen has traveled extensively, worked in six countries, and holds an MA in Teaching English as a Second Language. She lives in Austin and constantly seeks out the best the city has to offer.

1. François

March 16, 2021 at 10:45 pm

I’m glad this is an opinion piece, because this is quite a privileged position you’re taking.

Your claim to empathize for those in the service industry based on your experience in the same industry is completely disqualified by the rest of the article. And from this perspective, it sounds like a recent experience may have triggered the writing of this article. Then trying to support it with high-level information from other sites without full context of demographics? This article just sounded like an uninformed rant.

As it’s efficient and convenient for you choose to place an order from the comfort of your own home while you sit back in your nice home and continue writing articles on a pricey computer while you wait for your untipped delivery, a driver’s choice is to pick the delivery that makes them more earnings. And then do it again 20+ more times that night. You can’t fault anyone for picking something that they can actually choose is more beneficial for them because it’s less convenient for you. Frankly, it’s awesome those platforms have tip indicators to weed out those privileged few who don’t want to tip.

Hopefully you’re empathy is louder than your article.

– Former Delivery Driver turned App + User Research consultant

2. Kevin Murphy

March 19, 2021 at 11:08 am

1: DoorDash has no obligation beyond generating value for its shareholders. At least that’s how they view it

2: I’m an independent contractor. I get to choose what jobs I take.

3: tipping is a misnomer in gig delivery world. The customer is actually bidding to get the attention of a driver and receive warm, intact food.

4: a waitress’ shoes don’t run on gasoline and require expensive maintenance. I do my brakes roughly quarterly. That’s more than two grand a year alone.

5: a waitress works in a relatively safe environment and is entitled to workman’s comp if she is injured, she also enjoys the tax and other financial advantages that come with being a w2 employee.

We really need to change the culture from the idea of tipping to bidding. I’m not a waiter. I’m an independent operator in the logistics industry.

We have more uncommon with independent truckers than waitstaff

3. Sam

March 19, 2021 at 11:58 am

I don’t know anyone who would willingly accept $3 to drive to chipotle for example, possibly wait for the food to be ready and then drive 5 miles or so to an apartment complex that will take 10 minutes to even find the customer. Feel free to sign up and take those orders! There is so shortage in low paying orders. Your non-tip friends will be so thankful you lost money and ran up your car miles for them.

4. Joseph

March 19, 2021 at 12:11 pm

You clearly have no idea how the system works for us drivers. When we deliver your food, we have to use our gas, put wear and tear on our vehicles that we are responsible to maintain, and drive however far away you choose not to tip for. When you get a $3 offer for a 19-mile round trip, you have no choice but to decline. Some hours, we don’t get any offers at all and that zero an hour rate is made up through tips in the subsequent hours. When you don’t tip, and we have to sit there for a half hour or longer waiting for your order, after taking us 15 minutes to get there, and then 15 minutes to you, we have effectively been paid $3/hr. Get your food yourself.

5. Brian

March 19, 2021 at 12:17 pm

Nobody is OBLIGATED to take your order, as a driver you’re an independent contractor which means you can refuse any gig for any reason. Also, I’d say over half DO NOT TIP. Do not say it’s economy or any other excuse, delivery is a luxury service, if you can’t afford to tip, get your own food.

6. Shannon

March 19, 2021 at 12:17 pm

What you don’t call out in this article is the difference between an independent contractor, as most drivers are, vs. The employee status that servers and corporate driving jobs are.

This gig relationship between driver and customer is that of a job, a quote, an acceptance or a decline.

7. Taylor

March 19, 2021 at 12:24 pm

We are not obligated to do ANYTHING. We are not employees of a company like the waitress you used in your analogy. I am an independent contractor. I am in control of who gets their food and whose food sits on the rack to rot. Food delivery is a LUXURY service and if you can’t afford it take your own car or your own feet to the restaurant and get it yourself. While I’m declining your order screaming NO TIP? LOW TIP? NO TRIP. If you want your food hot, fresh, and in a timely manner TIP YOUR DRIVER. It’s a simple equation.

8. MMK

March 19, 2021 at 12:30 pm

Oh Joleen, while you mention the following in your article, “Delivery drivers, though, also opted into that social contract when they agreed to drive for a food delivery service”. This insinuates that we signed up for the job and should accept low offers or tips. You forgot one thing, we signed up for this as CONTRACTORS, which means we have every right to pick and choose which orders we want to take. I refuse to take anything not worth my time and wear and tear on my car. This is a side gig for me, so I have that option. Door dash base pay is $3. Can you reasonably justify that I should take an order to a customer 12 miles away for $3??

9. Rich

March 19, 2021 at 12:38 pm

Drivers are independent contractors and can choose to accept or decline whatever they want. If people want delivery during a pandemic (or otherwise) they need to tip.

10. Kyle

March 19, 2021 at 12:58 pm

The reason we must cherry pick, is because ( i work doordash) doordash will pay you 2 dollars per order (less if its a double order) and then whatever tip is. a GOOD (speedy) average delivery of about 2-3 miles is about 15 minutes…. people only really order food during certain timeframes. So for me to take all the no tip orders (2 dollars) i could be making a wopping 8 dollars a hour… while putting more wear and tear upon my vehicle that comes out of my bills aswell… and keep in mind that 8 dollars is BEFOR taxes.. So its more the issue that DD doesnt help cover the fact of low paying orders. instead they keep slapping more and more fees on the customers and resteraunts while paying their drivers very little.

11. Shannon

March 19, 2021 at 1:18 pm

It’s clear that you have absolutely no idea how delivery apps pay drivers, and that you don’t understand that it’s a very different job than being a server in a restaurant. I’m curious as to why you didn’t bother to learn how drivers are paid before making ridiculous assumptions about what is and is not appropriate for tipping them. Just an FYI, drivers are independent contractors, not employees. They are absolutely NOT obligated to take any order, ever. Servers may be, drivers are not. We are literally risking our lives out on the roads to bring food to people so they don’t have to. It’s a joke that you think that is the same thing as having to bring an order from the kitchen to a table.

12. Adah

March 19, 2021 at 1:23 pm

This is such a privileged perspective. No, I’m not obligated to deliver somebody’s McDonald’s for $3. I didn’t sign up for that. I’m a contractor and I get to choose who deserves my service. App companies need to do a better job of educating customers about why they should tip, since their base pay is so low. Be mad at the company of your food is cold. I have bills to pay.

13. Vet DD Driver

March 19, 2021 at 2:05 pm

It is true that DoorDash is obligated to get the food delivered, but it is incorrect to state that the individual drivers are obligated to take what ever order they’re handed. Not just because that’s specifically not the agreement between DD and the drivers, but because we are independent contractors. DoorDash could very easily change the terms, bring all drivers in house and treat them as employees, but they would have a different but similar issue. Their whole business model depends on whether or not the customer tips. In reference to the base pay, the initial offer is always $3 flat no matter how far the mileage. You are out of your mind if I will take an order 12 miles out, 12 miles back for $3. So, I decline it and it gets sent to another driver for $3.50. They will decide if their time is worth pennies per hour or not, or decide for themselves if they are obligated to take the order or not and if declined will get offered again to another driver for $3.75. Meanwhile the order is sitting on a counter getting cold. Your blame is placed incorrectly in this article , at least in terms of DoorDash and UberEats. Grub Hub is slightly different, but still walks the fine line of employee and contractor.

I would suggest you drive for a year, and revise this article at a later date.

• Candi

August 19, 2021 at 11:35 pm

Not $3 base in my market. I wish! We routinely get no tip offers as low as $1.75 to $2.75. I’ve seen no tip offers come in at $2.25 for a 14 mile, red light galore round trip! By the time waiting at the restaurant (sometimes for 15 minutes or even more) for the food, sitting for 7 miles in traffic to get there and 7 miles to get back to the restaurant zone, it could literally be 45 minutes! Why would I accept something like that?

14. Brian

March 19, 2021 at 2:08 pm

Drivers are not obligated to do anything. Unlike servers we are contractors, not employees. Your “tip” is part of a bid to secure service. And the MAJORITY of orders on DoorDash have no trip. I don’t know where you get off saying there are only a few low/no tippers.

15. Michael Fisher

March 19, 2021 at 3:17 pm

Hi I’m a dasher, or an independent contractor. The doordash and many other platforms are set up for people to choose to accept a trip or not. I’m not a waiter. I don’t make an hour wage + plus tips. So with that said I cannot take every 3 dollar trip doordash offer me . I wouldn’t make any money. Sorry I got bills to pay too. Would you take a trip for 3 dollars going 10 miles? I think not. If you do two trips like that in an hour. You would make a whooping 6 dollars. No not me sorry. It’s simple having your food delivered to you is an luxury. If you can’t tip 10% or better then go pick that shit up yourself. Independent contractor aka dashers don’t work for pennies.

16. Victoria Brent

March 19, 2021 at 5:23 pm

Servers are employees, which is why they are obligated to serve all customers. Delivery drivers are independent contractors. Each delivery is a new contract. Doordash makes an offer, we decide if we want to accept it. Doordash base pay is $3. So if a customer doesn’t tip, Doordash offers $3 to drive to the restaurant, pick up the food (after possibly waiting some time for it), drive to the customer and deliver. $3, no matter if it is 1 mile or 15. If I accept a $3 order going 10+ miles, I am losing money on gas, time and car maintenance. If drivers were obligated to accept all deliveries, regardless of tip, there would be no drivers on the road. Because eventually, your car is going to need service, and if you are making less than you spend on gas, that is the end of your delivery career.

17. Pingback: Open Response to American Genius Editorial "No Matter the Tip"

18. Andrea

March 19, 2021 at 7:02 pm

Also keep in mind that restaurant servers are not putting themselves at risk. Delivery drivers drive hundreds of miles a day and are more susceptible to car accidents. We have to walk through ice and snow and many have been bitten by dogs. Many drivers have had their vehicles stolen while delivering.

We deliver to sketchy homes and apartments without lighting in the dark by ourselves. Think about that for a moment. Would you want to deliver a $3 order to a 3rd floor apartment with absolutely no lighting. It is scary.

19. Chad

March 20, 2021 at 12:17 am

Wrong. Drivers who work for a 3rd party delivery service are independent contractors. It is not the same as a food service employee who has a guaranteed minimum wage. When you “tip” a 3rd party delivery driver, you are bidding on the services of an independent contractor. They are free to choose to work for the highest bidders. It is an entirely different model than conventional food service. Get used to it.

20. M. Smith

March 20, 2021 at 8:52 am

The author falls all over herself trying to reassure us that she “choose[s] to tip well.” Methinks she doth protest too much. That being said, as a long-time driver let me say this… I am an INDEPENDENT CONTRACTOR, not some wage slave. If you don’t offer me a satisfactory tip upfront that makes the OFFER of providing the delivery service worth my time and expense, then guess what? I will NOT accept the offer. You can then cross your fingers and hope that the dregs of the delivery world are online and willing to cart your food to you for free. NO TIP, NO TRIP.

21. Scott

March 20, 2021 at 12:06 pm

When a delivery customer doesn’t tip, the driver ends up in the negative when you factor in fuel/insurance etc. What do the wait staff lose if they don’t receive a tip?

Gratuity is not what it used to be, and like it or not, delivery is a convenience, if the delivery doesn’t pay enough to cover our expenses and a little to provide a profit then we’re under no obligation to take the order.

Go ask any server or restaurant owner for that matter and see how many of them would be willing to take a customer order if they knew that order was a guarantee negative income order?

22. Justin

March 20, 2021 at 12:55 pm

I hate to bust your bubble, but gig workers aren’t employees in the sense that waitstaff is. Gig workers are contractors, and as such retain the right to pick and choose jobs which will pay a decent wage. When they are required to take every order, they become employees. See how that’s working in California.

23. Mark

March 21, 2021 at 10:35 am

– most people do not tip or do not tip well enough

-I am here to provide a service AND make money, I am not here to work for charity. If I am not going to make money on an order (gas, miles driven, etc) I don’t take it

-because I dont take crappy orders. I make about $40 dollars per hour, my time is worth way more than anything less than $8.

– I am an independent contractor NOT an employee so I have the right to decline every order in sight.

-some orders can be as low as $1 in base pay if the customer does not tip. We dont get more if the customer pays more.

-doordash does NOT have a minimum amount. The lowest it goes on there is $2

-car repairs dont pay me

-most apps have ridiculous offers. Would you drive 10 miles or more for $3-$6 dollars? For me it would never happen. I have my limit and minimum

24. Rebecca Knighton

March 21, 2021 at 6:31 pm

This is not correct. Doordash pays $3-5 per deliver plus tip. We get 100% of the tip but if people don’t tip, we get paid $3 to deliver the food. That isn’t making any money at that point. Even the fastest delivery takes at least 20 mins and at $3 every 20 mins is still only $9 an hour, and that’s not including down time between deliveries where we aren’t making any money. I range somewhere between $10-20 an hour during busy times but there are days that I am out dashing for 4 hours and only make $20. That isn’t worth my time. So yes, if the delivery isn’t worth me starting my car because the customer wants to order $50 worth of Taco Bell but can’t afford $3 of a tip (making the delivery pay $6), I’m not going to deliver it. It’s the perks of being a freelance worker. If you want to take every order, then the app needs to pay us a base hourly rate like a waiter.

25. Dasher

June 10, 2021 at 4:02 pm

1. We are independent contractors, not employees. We don’t get paid per hour, or have costs reimbursed.

2. Your “tip”, is really a bid for service; tips come after service. If you aren’t “tipping” enough to cover our expenses, you’re damn right nobody’s going to deliver your order.

3. If you’re wealthy enough to use luxury delivery services, you’re wealthy enough to toss the poor guy running his car into the ground enough $5, so they can maybe reach minimum wage after expenses.

26. Jeffrey

June 10, 2021 at 7:03 pm

Good to see all the drivers letting people know that taking no tip orders results in a net loss. Not to mention the fact that non tippers are the worst orders to take. No tippers are the kind of people who enter a delivery address very near to the restaurant while ordering to get a cheaper delivery fee, then text the driver once the driver gets the food with an “oh I actually live out here 7 miles further than you thought”. Nontippers are the kinds of people who will one star a delivery driver because their order wasn’t right, which is solely the restaurants responsibility. The bags are sealed and their contents are entirely out of our control. Nontippers are the kinds of people who will report deliveries not delivered, just so they can get their money back or get the order redelivered. The last two things can negatively impact the driver as well, to the point of termination. So to give independent contractors advice on a situation you know nothing about beyond your previous customer service position comes across as condescending and ignorant. Honestly things do need to be done to change this system. Doordash could better explain to the customer that the extra twelve dollars they charge you for your food doesn’t go to the driver. Doordash could change terminology from “tip” to “bid” there is a lot that can be done to fix this broken system, but instead they choose to do what is best for shareholders and executives. We aren’t telling you how to write articles for free, so why are you telling us we should work for free?

27. Lee

July 15, 2021 at 12:34 am

Lets just go with facts here and get rid of all the fiction. The first thing that needs to happen to help solve this issue would be to stop the comparison between delivery and dine in. A waiter or waitress not only gets tax return and insurance as well as unemployment protection but they also get multiple tips at once as most have multiple table at once. Also they have no overhead to pay on an average work day. Independent Contractors like we who work for DoorDash have gas expenses, vehicle expenses, vehicle insurance and other cost such as hotbags and cleaning expenses. Also we don’t have any of the other benefits available to waiters or waitresses mentioned above nor do we get multiple tables at once. Just those facts alone should make it easy to understand that you have to stop the comparison. You are trying to treat new age advanced gig workers with old outdated tipping model. The work performed is at best similar but in now way the same. That also goes with the 20% tipping rule. That should be higher based on the expenses for drivers. I’m glad you think its okay for a driver to take a 12 mile 1 way order(24 miles round trip) for 3.00 and no tip. So that driver just made his or her gas money back and nothing for car expenses or pay. That is the most ridiculous thing I have ever heard from anyone who says they understand the business. Please stop writing these ridiculous articles until you have done your research properly.

28. Ruth

July 19, 2021 at 2:29 pm

I’m so glad to read all of the above comments.

I deliver groceries for Instacart. We’re independent contractors. Once we pick up a batch, we have the obligation to finish that batch. I don’t have the obligation to pick up every order that I’m offered. I see options and I carefully pick out the ones that will make me a living wage, while leaving the rest to sit. There’s no federal law stating that I have to serve non tipping customers.

I go by the mantra “No tip, no trip.” I never take a non tipping order for any reason, no matter how high the pay is.

Non tipping customers are usually the same ones who complain and leave poor ratings for things beyond the Shopper’s control. Poor ratings could cause me to lose my contract. No thanks!

It’s degrading to assume that anyone should work for free. When a customer fails to tip, that tells me that they don’t value or appreciate my service and they think that I’m worth less than minimum wage, Since Instacart isn’t my favorite charity, I won’t be working for free.

People have the choice not to tip. But freedom of choice goes both ways. I also have the choice to not pick up their order.

There’s no obligation on any of the independent contractor gigs to work for $0.26/hour. Anyone who says otherwise is out of touch with reality.

29. Dave Batts

August 18, 2021 at 10:45 am

Also door dash has lowered the base pay from $3.00 to $2.00/$2.25 per trip. Ridiculous my acceptance went from low 90s to 60%

30. F

August 19, 2021 at 7:25 pm

Factor in fuel, maintenance and your time amd you literally are paying to deliver peoples food.

I’ve done deliveries since 2018.
    Most tips suck and few people tip well.

I recently quit all delivery services because thebrates became pathetic. Doordash went first as most payments became $2-3 and they have the nerve to verate you for unwillingness to run in excess of 7-10 of those a shift.

Not sure where the writer got their information.

31. Bs

August 19, 2021 at 10:30 pm

Lol…all the rage from the drivers! If you leave it up to them, they will want more than a 100% tip! I think a 20% tip on an order is good enough specially if its short distance (in my area doordash has a 5 mile radius limit)

32. Pro gig worker and researcher

August 21, 2021 at 10:17 am

As a former Uber and Lyft driver and Postmates plus Point Pick up driver, I have to disagree with your article MOST PEOPLE DO NOT TIP AT ALL. and on too of that the base pay foe any of thise apps are extremely below poverty levels. I am currently delivering food only for Doordash on a part time basis and it is the same b.s. LOW BASE PAY and hardly any tips, so for you to make a mockery of the word tip and dare to say you are asking for a tip here is a tip deliver the food regardless if there is a tip or not, you are completely out of line. to begin you show you have no clue of what an independent contractor means and what is involved. Second, if you truly were a defender of service industry , you should know that most people work and are paid an hourly rate and tips are the extra income those people are counting to be able to pay for rent and other expenses.
    but on the other hand with gig workers we have no hourly guarantee pay we have no benefits if I get injured if I fall and require medical attention, none of those gig apps pay for any bills . on top of that gig workers pay for their own expenses like buying a car or motorcycle to do deliveries or rides plus additional expenses such as gas, car maintenance,car insurance plus commercial insurance, meals, and much more depending on which app you are working . on the other hand the hourly employee has no expenses everything is provided by the employer.
    so you should do a better research before you post an article like this one that is insulting to the gig worker and encourages Karen’s to abuse gig workers.
    I guess you do not know that there is a percentage of rude and demanding customers that expect the best with out tipping while the drivers makes only 3.25 for a lousy ride or delivery which can take mire than half an hour to complete the ride or delivery and you expect us gig workers to follow your stupid advice ? I will dare you to sign up for any delivery app and drive for 6 months without any other income and I will guarantee you you will be singing a different song after those 6 months

33. PRO GIG WORKER AND TRR RESEARCHER

August 21, 2021 at 10:53 am

As a former Uber and Lyft driver and Postmates plus Point Pick up driver, I have to disagree with your article MOST PEOPLE DO NOT TIP AT ALL. and on top of that the base pay for any of these apps are extremely below poverty levels. I am currently a driver delivering food only for Doordash on a part time basis and with doordash is the same b.s. LOW BASE PAY and hardly any tips, so for you to make a mockery of the word (tip) and dare to say (you are asking for a tip here is a tip deliver the food regardless if there is a tip or not,) you are completely out of line. to begin you show you have no clue of what an independent contractor means and what is involved. Second, if you truly were a defender of the service industry , you should know that most people who work in service are paid an hourly rate and tips are the extra income those people are counting to be able to pay for rent and other expenses.
    but on the other hand with gig workers we have no hourly guarantee pay, we have no benefits, and if I get injured like if i fall, assaulted, or run over while crossing the street while delivering an order, all of those gig apps will not pay for any medical bills much less for worker compensantion none at all. also did you know that gig workers pay for their own expenses like buying a car or motorcycle to do deliveries or rides plus additional expenses such as gas, car maintenance,car insurance plus commercial insurance, meals, and much more depending on which app you are working. on the other hand the hourly employee has no expenses everything is provided by the employer.
    so you should do a better research before you post an article like this one,
    which by the it s insulting to the gig worker and encourages Karen’s to abuse gig workers.
    I guess you also do not know that there is a percentage of rude and demanding customers that expect the best with out tipping while they expect a driver to earn only 3.25 for a lousy ride or delivery which can take more than half an hour to complete the ride or delivery. and you expect us gig workers to follow your stupid advice ? I will dare you to sign up for any delivery app and drive for 6 months without any other income and I will guarantee you will be singing a different song after those 6 months.
    one more thing please spare us from saying if we do not like it, go get an hourly job.
    that is another thing that you also do not know, a high percentage of gig drivers do have an houly job and work as a gig worker so they can make extra money to pay debts or for something else.
    i know that because i am one of them who earns money from other sources and do not rely solely on gig apps. the same goes for thousands of gig workers out there that are doing the same.
    In one word as long we remain as independent contractors for those gig apps,
    we can accept or denied any order regardless if there is a tip or not.
    and most likely wi will reject most low pay deliveries or rides.
    as for you the consumer wants speedy services make sure you tip well and you will get your delivery or ride quick and then you will not have to complain why it takes too long for your service.

34. True researcher

August 21, 2021 at 10:19 pm

Is a shame the editor of these article didn’t like my replied when I explain everything in detail. he must be one of those who doesn’t tip judge by his opinion and actions against my opinion which was deleted

Art meets business: Entrepreneurship tips for creative people

(EDITORIAL) Making your creative hobby into a business is an uphill battle, but hey, many other people have done it. This is how they crested that hill.

creative artist doodle

If the success of platforms like Etsy has proven anything, it’s that creative people can launch successful businesses, even with relatively few tools at their disposal – and for many hobbyists, this is the dream. That doesn’t mean it’s easy, though, and what pushes someone from creator to businessperson can be hard to pin down. In one study, the determining factor was encouragement by family and friends. Others make a slower transition from hobby to side hustle to full-time employment in the arts. Whatever the motivating factors, though, artists interested in becoming entrepreneurs need to hone an additional set of skills.

It’s All In The Plan

From one perspective, artists know how to follow a plan. Whether we’re talking about a knitter who can work through a pattern or a novelist outlining a chapter and building characters, creative thinkers also tend to be very methodical. Just because someone can create or follow a plan, that doesn’t mean they know how to develop a business plan. Luckily, there are plenty of guides to starting a business out there that contain all the basic information you’ll need to get started.

Business development guides are full of valuable technical information – what paperwork you’ll need to file, the cost of licenses, and other similar details – but they can also help you answer questions about your goals. Before you can even start writing a business plan, you’ll need to consider what service or product you want to offer, who your clients will be, and what differentiates your product from others out there. This last question is more important than ever before as more people try to break into creative fields.

Assess Your System

Once you know what your business goals are and what products you’ll be offering, you need to consider whether you have the ability to scale up that operation to fulfill market demand. There aren’t very many art forms that you can pay the bills with fulfilling commissions one at a time. The ability to scale up the artistic process is what made the famous painter Thomas Kinkade so successful during his lifetime when many others have failed. For the modern artist, this might mean asking whether you can mechanize or outsource any of your activities, or if you’ll be doing only exclusive work for high-paying clients.

Find The Right Supports

Every business needs support to thrive, whether in the form of a startup accelerator, a bank loan, a community of fellow professionals, or some other organization or resource. Artists are no different. If you’re going to develop a successful creative business, you need to research and connect with supports for working artists. They may be able to help you access tools or studio space, get loans, market your business, or connect you with a receptive audience. These groups are expert repositories of information and you don’t have to be in a major city to connect with them.

Find Professional Partners

You’re a talented artist. You have a vision and a plan. That doesn’t mean you have to go it alone – or even that you should. To build a successful creative business, you’ll want to partner with people who have different strengths. Not only will these people be able to lend their expertise to your operation, but they’ll make you a better artist and entrepreneur by lending a critical eye to your approach. Just like a major corporation won’t thrive if it’s composed of yes-men who are just along for the ride, your creative undertaking needs internal critics whose ultimate aim is to support you.

Stay Inspired

It’s easy to get bogged down in business logistics and lose your creative spark. In fact, that’s why many artists are reticent to monetize their work, but you shouldn’t let that fear hold you back. Instead, put in the effort to stay inspired. Read books about art and creativity, keep a journal, or go to museums. Experiment with new forms. Be willing to push your own limits and know that it’s okay to fail. Many businesses that aren’t tied to creative output flounder and struggle to find their way, and there’s no reason your business should be any different. Still, the surest path to failure is stagnation and losing your spark. That’s worse for any artist than a sloppy business plan.

Artists are often told that they aren’t meant to be entrepreneurs – but the most successful businesspeople are creative types, even if they aren’t typical artists. Use that outside-the-box thinking to your advantage and make a splash. If you want to do more with your art, you owe it to yourself to try.

Minimalism doesn’t have to happen overnight

(OPINION / EDITORIAL) Minimalism doesn’t have to mean throwing out everything this instant – you can get similar benefits from starting on smaller spaces.

Minimal desk with laptop, cup, books, and plant.

Minimalism. This trend has reared its head in many forms, from Instagram-worthy shots of near empty homes to Marie Kondo making a splash on Netflix with Tidying Up with Marie Kondo in 2019. If you’re anything like me, the concept of minimalism is tempting, but the execution seems out of reach. Paring down a closet to fit into a single basket or getting rid of beloved objects can sometimes seem too difficult, and I get it! Luckily, minimalism doesn’t have to be quite so extreme.

#1. Digitally

Not ready to purge your home yet? That’s fine! Start on your digital devices. Chances are, there are plenty of easy ways to clean up the storage space on your computer or phone. When it comes to low stakes minimalism, try clearing out your email inbox or deleting apps you no longer use. It’ll increase your storage space and make upkeep much more manageable on a daily basis.

It’s also worth taking a look through your photos. With our phones so readily available, plenty of us have pictures that we don’t really need. Clearing out the excess and subpar pictures will also have the added bonus of making your good pictures easily accessible!

Now, if this task seems more daunting, consider starting by simply deleting duplicate photos. You know the ones, where someone snaps a dozen pics of the same group pose? Pick your favorite (whittle it down if you have to) and delete the rest! It’s an easy way to get started with minimizing your digital photo collection.

#2. Slowly

Minimalism doesn’t have to happen all at once. If you’re hesitant about taking the plunge, try dipping your toe in the water first. There’s no shame in taking your time with this process. For instance, rather than immediately emptying your wardrobe, start small by just removing articles of clothing that are not wearable anymore. Things that are damaged, for instance, or just don’t fit.

Another way to start slow is to set a number. Take a look at your bookshelf and resolve to get rid of just two books. This way, you can hold yourself accountable for minimizing while not pushing too far. Besides, chances are, you do have two books on your shelf that are just collecting dust.

Finally, it’s also possible to take things slow by doing them over time. Observe your closet over the course of six months, for instance, to see if there are articles of clothing that remain unworn. Keep an eye on your kitchen supplies to get a feel for what you’re using and what you’re not. Sure, that egg separator you got for your wedding looks useful, but if you haven’t picked it up, it probably has to go.

#3. Somewhat

Sometimes, minimalism is pitched as all or nothing (pun intended), but it doesn’t have to be that way. Just because I want to purge my closet doesn’t mean I’m beholden to purging my kitchen too. And that’s okay!

Instead of getting overwhelmed by everything that needs to be reduced, just pick one aspect of your life to declutter. Clear out your wardrobe and hang onto your books. Cut down on decorations but keep your clothes. Maybe even minimize a few aspects of your life while holding onto one or two.

Or, don’t go too extreme in any direction and work to cut down on the stuff in your life in general. Minimizing doesn’t have to mean getting rid of everything – it can mean simply stepping back. For instance, you can minimize just by avoiding buying more things. Or maybe you set a maximum number of clothes you want, which means purchasing a new shirt might mean getting rid of an old one.

The point is, there are plenty of ways to start on the minimalist lifestyle without pushing yourself too far outside your comfort zone. So, what are you waiting for? Try decluttering your life soon!

Why tech talent is in the process of abandoning Austin

(AUSTIN TECH) There is no single reason Austin tech talent is packing their bags, but a handful of factors have collided to create a tenuous situation.

austin tech talent leaving

“Nothing’s keeping me here” is a phrase we keep hearing around town. Being in the center of the tech space, we’ve been able to keep my finger on the pulse, and what we thought was primarily housing that is driving folks out of town turns out to be far more insurmountable than we could have ever imagined.

A perfect storm is brewing as the housing market collides with a dramatically transformed workforce that has become accustomed to working remotely and shifted priorities.

Last time Austin was bleeding talent, the year was 2011 and most investments were focused on early stage startups and there weren’t enough open roles that were senior level, so we started losing people to competitive markets. In response, we built a massive employment hub (the Austin Digital Jobs Group (ADJ)) and volunteered hundreds of hours to help make Austin a magnet for high quality employers.

This time around, we expressed to the Group of over 55K members that we were frustrated that people were confiding in us that they were leaving (or considering it). Some are even people that we all imagined to be part of the very fabric of Austin tech. We feel helpless this time.

Many of these talented people said that the soaring housing prices in Austin had them eyeballing smaller towns in Texas, or worse, their hometowns outside of the state. There are only so many times you can try to buy a house, get rejected, or get outbid on 22 homes before you start looking at other places. Only so many people will accept a billion percent rent increase at renewal time before thinking that going back home to Louisiana’s lookin’ pretty good.

This week, Austin CultureMap reported that Austin now ranks number two among the most overvalued home markets in America.

Tesla is getting ready to open their Gigafactory, Oracle is moving their headquarters to Austin, and Samsung is currently trying to get buy-in from city officials in Taylor so they can build their mega plant near Austin. Home investors and firms from all over are salivating.

It all feels both exciting, yet overwhelming when you’re going to buy a house here, only to get outbid by $150K over asking price from an investor in California. It’s been demoralizing for so many.

Because we also own a massive real estate publication, we’re firmly in touch with that sector, and brokers in Austin are telling us that the summer was out of control and overheated, but they’re already seeing that hyper-activity slow a bit.

Housing alone isn’t enough of a reason for an entire sector to be packing up or dreaming of leaving. So what gives?

At last count, a thread in ADJ on this topic is at 806 comments, and I personally received several hundred more via direct message with people in tech explaining why they’re leaving or considering leaving.

There are challenges within the city limits of Austin that have bubbled over like crime and separately, the contentious issue of houselessness – it’s an ongoing and very serious issue that has people leaving downtown, but not necessarily leaving the surrounding areas.

So if housing isn’t the exclusive driving force, how has that problem combined with the employment market shifts? How has the job market changed in such a way that talent is ready to hit the eject button on this town? It boils down to a changing talent pool, fractures in the hiring process, a shift in priorities, and a lingering brokenness in the entire process that is exacerbating all other conditions.

Let’s dig into that further.

Because of the global pandemic, remote work has become a staple in the tech industry, teams adjusted and realized the office is more of a luxury than a requirement, and many large brands swear that they’ll never require their employees to come into the office again.

For that reason, tech workers’ expectations have been forever changed. Fully remote options will drive the market for years to come, and hybrid options or flex work hours will also be how large tech firms attract and retain talent – ping pong tables and chill vibes will be less of an appealing sales pitch.

The pandemic has also shifted the talent pool to include everyone in America – if all workers are remote, employers no longer have to look just to the local workforce. This talent pool expansion is a double-edged sword – if an Austin tech company can look to Nebraska for workers, then remote workers can look outside of Austin to other budding tech hubs, potentially shifting the entire environment. That’s the main driver for Austin brands continuing to hire in Austin, lest the entire ecosystem fail.

All that said, a disconnect in the job market in Austin tech remains. Holdouts from attitudes and old systems of the past linger on.

A theme we continue to hear from high quality candidates is that employers have increasingly unrealistic expectations. You already know the stereotype of job listings that say they’re entry level but require a decade of work experience. But as budgets tightened in the face of uncertainty, Austin tech companies are becoming phenomenally great at hiring someone to do three jobs that pay less than one. One of our Group members asserted that employers are looking for turnkey employees. It used to be that employer job descriptions were a realistic wish list and that if you hit over 60% of them, you might get an interview. Now people believe that the requirements are becoming unrealistic and if you meet less than 100% of them, there is zero chance of an interview. Many have complained that hiring managers and recruiters continue to not be aligned, slowing the process repeatedly.

The timing of the acceleration of unrealistic expectations has locals feeling like the pandemic created conditions that allowed for employers to take advantage of job seekers who must be desperate since the world is upside down. I don’t personally believe this has anything to do with the pandemic, rather it is a continuation of an ongoing trend.

If you think this is an exaggeration, just this week a job seeker let me know that a recruiter sent them a job description that required the “ability to code in any language.” WTF. The recruiter was serious. Try telling me this isn’t out of control and I will laugh right in your face, friend.

Another serious point of contention in Austin is that salary levels are not increasing anywhere near the skyrocketing living expenses.

Many believe the salary levels are a decade old and simply can’t keep up with the market conditions in Austin and while we’ll leave the “you are a remote worker, you shouldn’t earn as much since you moved to a less expensive locale” debate to another day, we will firmly assert that this problem will hold back the tech innovation and the overall economy in Austin.

In that massive thread in our Group, one member asked, “So I guess a question is: do we accept the idea that Austin is now only for those making 6 figures??”

What is so disheartening about the salary conditions is that changing this couldn’t possibly be done overnight – it requires time and structural changes, and the bigger a company is, the slower it is to turn the proverbial ship.

Meanwhile, numerous people retired early during the pandemic, or began freelancing or consulting full time. Many of these people aren’t likely to return to the workforce under current conditions, and they feel like they have less roots in Austin – they can live anywhere now. See how remote work has caused a ripple effect?

Do you remember when some tech executives in Austin reluctantly sent employees home as the pandemic hit, flippantly warning that it wouldn’t be a coronacation!? Bad behaviors like this and other employee treatment during the pandemic haven’t and will not be forgotten – the memories will remain as fresh as the time you got shoved by that bully in elementary school. You may have forgiven, but you’ll never forget. Trust has been broken.

Trust was also broken during the pandemic when people lost what they believed to be stable jobs. It has created a certain trepidation in the marketplace.

The pandemic has forever altered all of our lives as individuals. Thousands died from COVID-19, and those of us left behind lost loved ones. We were all sent home with no job security. Many of us became homeschool teachers and somehow also had to keep up with our careers. We were forced to share spaces with our partners, our children, our parents, our family.

Some would think all of this is a recipe for resentment, but in the majority of cases, what has happened is a serious shift in priorities to favor the family, to appreciate quality time, to find solace in more quiet time and a less full calendar.

People tell us they don’t intend on going out for drinks after work when they’re called back into the office – it turns out we actually like our kids or partners now that we’ve gotten to know them, or that we value our newfound connection to old hobbies. The priorities aren’t fleeting – this pandemic has changed us.

Because of this fundamental change in who we are, ongoing problems in the employment market are now magnified.

“Isms” still plague the hiring process. Ageism continues to be a very serious problem in Austin tech, for example. People tell us that they’re still experiencing sexism, racism, ableism, and every other sort of discrimination. In 2021. It’s unbelievable. You can say all of that is simply perception, but in this scenario, perception truly is reality. And because our priorities have shifted, our giveashitters are pretty low when it comes to tolerating bad actors.

That same shift has also lowered tolerance levels for burnout. One member in the Group pointed out that after the market crash in 2008, resource levels were depleted – and here we are in 2021, they haven’t been restored. People were burned out before the pandemic, and now they’re moving to the country to work remotely and begin healing this burnout that is coming to a head.

It’s difficult to deal with ghosting (be it computer-aided or overworked recruiters) when you’re already burned out and thinking you’re the only one. It’s giving this sector a terrible reputation that is spreading.

Resources aren’t the only factor here that is stuck in 2008. Companies were so used to getting a flood of applications for every single job listing, their ATS (applicant tracking system) filters were implemented accordingly. The volume of applications has dropped, yet the filters remain overly restrictive. They put their ATS on auto-pilot once upon a time, and it remains that way, yet they continue to reach out to us in confusion, asking us where all the applicants are.

In the eyes of tech talent, the hiring process has deteriorated. Simultaneously, in the eyes of companies hiring, the process has been improved. Enhanced.

The disconnect here is not in the unrealistic expectations previously outlined, or the rising opacity in salaries, but in the actual mechanics of the hiring process. Even smaller companies have added additional rounds of interviews and ridiculous red tape in what is an effort in vain to compete with the Googles of the world. There’s a lot of what I would call “playing office” going on, with non-technical hiring managers hiring for technical roles, or unrelated staff being roped into panel interviews to weigh in on whether or not someone is a “culture fit.”

The process has become lengthy and demanding with endless personality tests, whiteboard tests, Zoom calls, questionnaires, more phone and video calls, aptitude tests, and so forth. Most people have come to accept these as hoops to jump through, but the practice of having job seekers do extensive unpaid projects as part of their job application is creating deep resentment and a growing resistance. No one expects to shake a hand and get a job today, but doing a 12 hour assignment that is due in 24 hours is unreasonable, especially unpaid and with no promise of their intellectual property being protected.

It started off as a way to aide candidates into demonstrating their true skills and it was simple. But over time, the practice has “evolved.” It feels to some like every Austin tech recruiter and hiring manager went to some evil underground conference a few years ago and were brainwashed into thinking that if they ALL assign abusive tasks, no one in the sector will notice because they’ll just accept that it’s “how things are done now.” But that’s not happening and the overly complicated process combined with other market factors is driving seriously qualified tech talent out of Austin.

The hiring process has continued to degrade and for no good reason. We actually built ADJ in a way that would directly connect hiring manager and job seeker, promoting the concept of simplifying the hiring process. Yet here we are.

The final nail in the coffin is that candidates and employers are blaming each other for a power imbalance, and thinking that their situation is unique. A feeling of isolation is growing due to peoples’ inability to openly discuss this process – both hiring folks and job seekers.

The bottom line is that numerous market conditions have converged to create a scenario where people are tired and simply won’t settle anymore. Expectations have changed. And we have changed as people.

We will inevitably get hate mail because of this editorial and folks will say that the very publication of this piece will push people out of town, but we would argue that if no one makes an effort to diagnose the growing illness, it will metastasize.