Food delivery drivers, here’s a tip: Deliver the order, no matter the tip

(OPINION / EDITORIAL) Food delivery drivers admit to passing on trips where they aren’t sure there is a tip. Is that justifiable, or is it just the way the cookie crumbles?

Food delivery drivers asking for payment with a portable card scanner.

After hearing customers complaining about not getting the food they ordered through a delivery app, or getting it hours late and cold, delivery drivers admitted they were not accepting certain orders if they thought there would be little or no tip. This one makes my blood boil on everyone’s behalf. With my service industry background, I am super protective of servers who work largely for tips. As a customer, I understand that tipping is a choice. I choose to tip well and wish everyone would. Even though tips are a large part of their income, it’s not clear to customers exactly how drivers get paid. That may be part of the problem.

The same rule of dining at a full service restaurant applies: Don’t eat out (or order the food delivery service) if you can’t afford to tip. It’s part of the social contract. Delivery drivers, though, also opted into that social contract when they agreed to drive for a food delivery service. In the report in the Houston KHOU news story, drivers aren’t even sure there is no or little tip; they are guessing from the estimated pay in the app (not a perfect measure). Just as servers have the obligation to wait on people who may or may not tip, drivers have the obligation to deliver food that customers have ordered.

Most people tip decently, many tip very well, and a few do not tip well, or at all. Some people are simply lousy tippers. Others, who may truly need the service during the pandemic, such as the elderly, disabled, or shut-in, may be unaware of how tipping in the app works, or they may assume the full delivery fee goes to the driver. It’s a more complicated system than interacting with a server, where you pay for the product and tip as payment for the service. With delivery apps, you pay for a product, pay a fee for the service, and are expected to tip on top of that.

The apps have to make their money somehow. They have created complex online systems that gather, match up, and distribute massive amounts of personal information and manage to get your food to you (usually) while keeping your data private. Those types of systems and securities aren’t cheap. However, with the apps charging both the customer and the restaurant service fees (sometimes way too much, as we noted last year), and with drivers responsible for their car maintenance, gas, and expenses, the apps certainly can come across like the cat who ate the canary. Mind you, several of them have partnered with restaurants and food trucks to charge them less during the pandemic, and that’s a good thing.

How much do drivers make? Based on recent articles on Indeed.com, and appjobs.com, most delivery services pay a minimum fare per trip, plus some combination of distance + time + tip. When all is said and done, including tip, the per-hour rate varies between $9.00 per hour up to $25.00, depending on the market in which you are driving and the app. Most seem to average somewhere in between $13.00-$18.00/hour (gross earnings, and including tips).

Some apps, like DoorDash, will guarantee a minimum per ride, in case the base + tip does not meet the minimum amount. Most apps give 100% of tips to the driver, and others may offer some benefits, such as discounted/subsidized car repairs. Others offer bonuses for a certain number of deliveries per month, and still others may pay (and charge) more at peak times. I hope more of these services examine their practices and provide some of these drivers’ perks and benefits.

The variations in rate and perks are numerous, but two things stay the same. These delivery drivers have committed to providing a service, and tips are optional. I hate to say it, because I believe in tipping big, but it’s in the job description. In my experience, most people hold up their end of the bargain and tip. Others may not. If you don’t like it, then maybe driving for a delivery service isn’t for you.

1. François

March 16, 2021 at 10:45 pm

I’m glad this is an opinion piece, because this is quite a privileged position you’re taking.

Your claim to empathize for those in the service industry based on your experience in the same industry is completely disqualified by the rest of the article. And from this perspective, it sounds like a recent experience may have triggered the writing of this article. Then trying to support it with high-level information from other sites without full context of demographics? This article just sounded like an uninformed rant.

As it’s efficient and convenient for you choose to place an order from the comfort of your own home while you sit back in your nice home and continue writing articles on a pricey computer while you wait for your untipped delivery, a driver’s choice is to pick the delivery that makes them more earnings. And then do it again 20+ more times that night. You can’t fault anyone for picking something that they can actually choose is more beneficial for them because it’s less convenient for you. Frankly, it’s awesome those platforms have tip indicators to weed out those privileged few who don’t want to tip.

Hopefully you’re empathy is louder than your article.

– Former Delivery Driver turned App + User Research consultant

2. Kevin Murphy

March 19, 2021 at 11:08 am

1: DoorDash has no obligation beyond generating value for its shareholders. At least that’s how they view it

2: I’m an independent contractor. I get to choose what jobs I take.

3: tipping is a misnomer in gig delivery world. The customer is actually bidding to get the attention of a driver and receive warm, intact food.

4: a waitress’ shoes don’t run on gasoline and require expensive maintenance. I do my brakes roughly quarterly. That’s more than two grand a year alone.

5: a waitress works in a relatively safe environment and is entitled to workman’s comp if she is injured, she also enjoys the tax and other financial advantages that come with being a w2 employee.

We really need to change the culture from the idea of tipping to bidding. I’m not a waiter. I’m an independent operator in the logistics industry.

We have more uncommon with independent truckers than waitstaff

3. Sam

March 19, 2021 at 11:58 am

I don’t know anyone who would willingly accept $3 to drive to chipotle for example, possibly wait for the food to be ready and then drive 5 miles or so to an apartment complex that will take 10 minutes to even find the customer. Feel free to sign up and take those orders! There is so shortage in low paying orders. Your non-tip friends will be so thankful you lost money and ran up your car miles for them.

4. Joseph

March 19, 2021 at 12:11 pm

You clearly have no idea how the system works for us drivers. When we deliver your food, we have to use our gas, put wear and tear on our vehicles that we are responsible to maintain, and drive however far away you choose not to tip for. When you get a $3 offer for a 19-mile round trip, you have no choice but to decline. Some hours, we don’t get any offers at all and that zero an hour rate is made up through tips in the subsequent hours. When you don’t tip, and we have to sit there for a half hour or longer waiting for your order, after taking us 15 minutes to get there, and then 15 minutes to you, we have effectively been paid $3/hr. Get your food yourself.

5. Brian

March 19, 2021 at 12:17 pm

Nobody is OBLIGATED to take your order, as a driver you’re an independent contractor which means you can refuse any gig for any reason. Also, I’d say over half DO NOT TIP. Do not say it’s economy or any other excuse, delivery is a luxury service, if you can’t afford to tip, get your own food.

6. Shannon

March 19, 2021 at 12:17 pm

What you don’t call out in this article is the difference between an independent contractor, as most drivers are, vs. The employee status that servers and corporate driving jobs are.

This gig relationship between driver and customer is that of a job, a quote, an acceptance or a decline.

7. Taylor

March 19, 2021 at 12:24 pm

We are not obligated to do ANYTHING. We are not employees of a company like the waitress you used in your analogy. I am an independent contractor. I am in control of who gets their food and whose food sits on the rack to rot. Food delivery is a LUXURY service and if you can’t afford it take your own car or your own feet to the restaurant and get it yourself. While I’m declining your order screaming NO TIP? LOW TIP? NO TRIP. If you want your food hot, fresh, and in a timely manner TIP YOUR DRIVER. It’s a simple equation.

• Jed

April 20, 2022 at 11:06 am

I tip for a job well done. I can’t agree to give someone a tip for the hope they will complete their assigned job on time, and too the best of their ability because. As we’ve all seen. Very few delivery drivers are capable of making the bottom tier of acceptable job accomplishment. I can’t set a monetary incentive for an industry whose transporters can barely read Google maps , or an apartment number. Everyone’s already defaulted to bare minimum amount of work, for highest possible payout, which is why Uber eats, door dash, and all the others are garbage delivery services whose employees are greedy, and lazy. When confronted with an issue, missing item, lack of sauce, wrong order, they’ve already got their money so it’s the stores issue, yet the store says it’s the drivers issues. So I always, always end up having to go back to the store myself and fix the 50 dollar order with the 20 dollar tip that some assist has already ran off with. While I’m left fuming because I have to physically hold do what nobody else deems as part of the job, so I should jabe just saved the money, and gotten the damn order myself. Why because people are useless and selfish, tipping is, and has always been based on current job done, and cannot be accurately computated prior to the service. That’s why all delivery drivers are, entitled asshats, and all the conned consumers have rewritten the definition for the term tipping to be includeded as a must regardless of job performance, and with a guarantee that any issues that will arise will not be handled or fixed by anyone but the screwed over customer. I just continue to get it myself rather than perpetuate a broken system with non accountable employees who disregard any issue that arises after placing the food on the doorstep.

8. MMK

March 19, 2021 at 12:30 pm

Oh Joleen, while you mention the following in your article, “Delivery drivers, though, also opted into that social contract when they agreed to drive for a food delivery service”. This insinuates that we signed up for the job and should accept low offers or tips. You forgot one thing, we signed up for this as CONTRACTORS, which means we have every right to pick and choose which orders we want to take. I refuse to take anything not worth my time and wear and tear on my car. This is a side gig for me, so I have that option. Door dash base pay is $3. Can you reasonably justify that I should take an order to a customer 12 miles away for $3??

9. Rich

March 19, 2021 at 12:38 pm

Drivers are independent contractors and can choose to accept or decline whatever they want. If people want delivery during a pandemic (or otherwise) they need to tip.

10. Kyle

March 19, 2021 at 12:58 pm

The reason we must cherry pick, is because ( i work doordash) doordash will pay you 2 dollars per order (less if its a double order) and then whatever tip is. a GOOD (speedy) average delivery of about 2-3 miles is about 15 minutes…. people only really order food during certain timeframes. So for me to take all the no tip orders (2 dollars) i could be making a wopping 8 dollars a hour… while putting more wear and tear upon my vehicle that comes out of my bills aswell… and keep in mind that 8 dollars is BEFOR taxes.. So its more the issue that DD doesnt help cover the fact of low paying orders. instead they keep slapping more and more fees on the customers and resteraunts while paying their drivers very little.

11. Shannon

March 19, 2021 at 1:18 pm

It’s clear that you have absolutely no idea how delivery apps pay drivers, and that you don’t understand that it’s a very different job than being a server in a restaurant. I’m curious as to why you didn’t bother to learn how drivers are paid before making ridiculous assumptions about what is and is not appropriate for tipping them. Just an FYI, drivers are independent contractors, not employees. They are absolutely NOT obligated to take any order, ever. Servers may be, drivers are not. We are literally risking our lives out on the roads to bring food to people so they don’t have to. It’s a joke that you think that is the same thing as having to bring an order from the kitchen to a table.

12. Adah

March 19, 2021 at 1:23 pm

This is such a privileged perspective. No, I’m not obligated to deliver somebody’s McDonald’s for $3. I didn’t sign up for that. I’m a contractor and I get to choose who deserves my service. App companies need to do a better job of educating customers about why they should tip, since their base pay is so low. Be mad at the company of your food is cold. I have bills to pay.

13. Vet DD Driver

March 19, 2021 at 2:05 pm

It is true that DoorDash is obligated to get the food delivered, but it is incorrect to state that the individual drivers are obligated to take what ever order they’re handed. Not just because that’s specifically not the agreement between DD and the drivers, but because we are independent contractors. DoorDash could very easily change the terms, bring all drivers in house and treat them as employees, but they would have a different but similar issue. Their whole business model depends on whether or not the customer tips. In reference to the base pay, the initial offer is always $3 flat no matter how far the mileage. You are out of your mind if I will take an order 12 miles out, 12 miles back for $3. So, I decline it and it gets sent to another driver for $3.50. They will decide if their time is worth pennies per hour or not, or decide for themselves if they are obligated to take the order or not and if declined will get offered again to another driver for $3.75. Meanwhile the order is sitting on a counter getting cold. Your blame is placed incorrectly in this article , at least in terms of DoorDash and UberEats. Grub Hub is slightly different, but still walks the fine line of employee and contractor.

I would suggest you drive for a year, and revise this article at a later date.

• Candi

August 19, 2021 at 11:35 pm

Not $3 base in my market. I wish! We routinely get no tip offers as low as $1.75 to $2.75. I’ve seen no tip offers come in at $2.25 for a 14 mile, red light galore round trip! By the time waiting at the restaurant (sometimes for 15 minutes or even more) for the food, sitting for 7 miles in traffic to get there and 7 miles to get back to the restaurant zone, it could literally be 45 minutes! Why would I accept something like that?

14. Brian

March 19, 2021 at 2:08 pm

Drivers are not obligated to do anything. Unlike servers we are contractors, not employees. Your “tip” is part of a bid to secure service. And the MAJORITY of orders on DoorDash have no trip. I don’t know where you get off saying there are only a few low/no tippers.

15. Michael Fisher

March 19, 2021 at 3:17 pm

Hi I’m a dasher, or an independent contractor. The doordash and many other platforms are set up for people to choose to accept a trip or not. I’m not a waiter. I don’t make an hour wage + plus tips. So with that said I cannot take every 3 dollar trip doordash offer me . I wouldn’t make any money. Sorry I got bills to pay too. Would you take a trip for 3 dollars going 10 miles? I think not. If you do two trips like that in an hour. You would make a whooping 6 dollars. No not me sorry. It’s simple having your food delivered to you is an luxury. If you can’t tip 10% or better then go pick that shit up yourself. Independent contractor aka dashers don’t work for pennies.

16. Victoria Brent

March 19, 2021 at 5:23 pm

Servers are employees, which is why they are obligated to serve all customers. Delivery drivers are independent contractors. Each delivery is a new contract. Doordash makes an offer, we decide if we want to accept it. Doordash base pay is $3. So if a customer doesn’t tip, Doordash offers $3 to drive to the restaurant, pick up the food (after possibly waiting some time for it), drive to the customer and deliver. $3, no matter if it is 1 mile or 15. If I accept a $3 order going 10+ miles, I am losing money on gas, time and car maintenance. If drivers were obligated to accept all deliveries, regardless of tip, there would be no drivers on the road. Because eventually, your car is going to need service, and if you are making less than you spend on gas, that is the end of your delivery career.

17. Pingback: Open Response to American Genius Editorial "No Matter the Tip"

18. Andrea

March 19, 2021 at 7:02 pm

Also keep in mind that restaurant servers are not putting themselves at risk. Delivery drivers drive hundreds of miles a day and are more susceptible to car accidents. We have to walk through ice and snow and many have been bitten by dogs. Many drivers have had their vehicles stolen while delivering.

We deliver to sketchy homes and apartments without lighting in the dark by ourselves. Think about that for a moment. Would you want to deliver a $3 order to a 3rd floor apartment with absolutely no lighting. It is scary.

19. Chad

March 20, 2021 at 12:17 am

Wrong. Drivers who work for a 3rd party delivery service are independent contractors. It is not the same as a food service employee who has a guaranteed minimum wage. When you “tip” a 3rd party delivery driver, you are bidding on the services of an independent contractor. They are free to choose to work for the highest bidders. It is an entirely different model than conventional food service. Get used to it.

20. M. Smith

March 20, 2021 at 8:52 am

The author falls all over herself trying to reassure us that she “choose[s] to tip well.” Methinks she doth protest too much. That being said, as a long-time driver let me say this… I am an INDEPENDENT CONTRACTOR, not some wage slave. If you don’t offer me a satisfactory tip upfront that makes the OFFER of providing the delivery service worth my time and expense, then guess what? I will NOT accept the offer. You can then cross your fingers and hope that the dregs of the delivery world are online and willing to cart your food to you for free. NO TIP, NO TRIP.

21. Scott

March 20, 2021 at 12:06 pm

When a delivery customer doesn’t tip, the driver ends up in the negative when you factor in fuel/insurance etc. What do the wait staff lose if they don’t receive a tip?

Gratuity is not what it used to be, and like it or not, delivery is a convenience, if the delivery doesn’t pay enough to cover our expenses and a little to provide a profit then we’re under no obligation to take the order.

Go ask any server or restaurant owner for that matter and see how many of them would be willing to take a customer order if they knew that order was a guarantee negative income order?

22. Justin

March 20, 2021 at 12:55 pm

I hate to bust your bubble, but gig workers aren’t employees in the sense that waitstaff is. Gig workers are contractors, and as such retain the right to pick and choose jobs which will pay a decent wage. When they are required to take every order, they become employees. See how that’s working in California.

23. Mark

March 21, 2021 at 10:35 am

– most people do not tip or do not tip well enough

-I am here to provide a service AND make money, I am not here to work for charity. If I am not going to make money on an order (gas, miles driven, etc) I don’t take it

-because I dont take crappy orders. I make about $40 dollars per hour, my time is worth way more than anything less than $8.

– I am an independent contractor NOT an employee so I have the right to decline every order in sight.

-some orders can be as low as $1 in base pay if the customer does not tip. We dont get more if the customer pays more.

-doordash does NOT have a minimum amount. The lowest it goes on there is $2

-car repairs dont pay me

-most apps have ridiculous offers. Would you drive 10 miles or more for $3-$6 dollars? For me it would never happen. I have my limit and minimum

24. Rebecca Knighton

March 21, 2021 at 6:31 pm

This is not correct. Doordash pays $3-5 per deliver plus tip. We get 100% of the tip but if people don’t tip, we get paid $3 to deliver the food. That isn’t making any money at that point. Even the fastest delivery takes at least 20 mins and at $3 every 20 mins is still only $9 an hour, and that’s not including down time between deliveries where we aren’t making any money. I range somewhere between $10-20 an hour during busy times but there are days that I am out dashing for 4 hours and only make $20. That isn’t worth my time. So yes, if the delivery isn’t worth me starting my car because the customer wants to order $50 worth of Taco Bell but can’t afford $3 of a tip (making the delivery pay $6), I’m not going to deliver it. It’s the perks of being a freelance worker. If you want to take every order, then the app needs to pay us a base hourly rate like a waiter.

25. Dasher

June 10, 2021 at 4:02 pm

1. We are independent contractors, not employees. We don’t get paid per hour, or have costs reimbursed.

2. Your “tip”, is really a bid for service; tips come after service. If you aren’t “tipping” enough to cover our expenses, you’re damn right nobody’s going to deliver your order.

3. If you’re wealthy enough to use luxury delivery services, you’re wealthy enough to toss the poor guy running his car into the ground enough $5, so they can maybe reach minimum wage after expenses.

26. Jeffrey

June 10, 2021 at 7:03 pm

Good to see all the drivers letting people know that taking no tip orders results in a net loss. Not to mention the fact that non tippers are the worst orders to take. No tippers are the kind of people who enter a delivery address very near to the restaurant while ordering to get a cheaper delivery fee, then text the driver once the driver gets the food with an “oh I actually live out here 7 miles further than you thought”. Nontippers are the kinds of people who will one star a delivery driver because their order wasn’t right, which is solely the restaurants responsibility. The bags are sealed and their contents are entirely out of our control. Nontippers are the kinds of people who will report deliveries not delivered, just so they can get their money back or get the order redelivered. The last two things can negatively impact the driver as well, to the point of termination. So to give independent contractors advice on a situation you know nothing about beyond your previous customer service position comes across as condescending and ignorant. Honestly things do need to be done to change this system. Doordash could better explain to the customer that the extra twelve dollars they charge you for your food doesn’t go to the driver. Doordash could change terminology from “tip” to “bid” there is a lot that can be done to fix this broken system, but instead they choose to do what is best for shareholders and executives. We aren’t telling you how to write articles for free, so why are you telling us we should work for free?

27. Lee

July 15, 2021 at 12:34 am

Lets just go with facts here and get rid of all the fiction. The first thing that needs to happen to help solve this issue would be to stop the comparison between delivery and dine in. A waiter or waitress not only gets tax return and insurance as well as unemployment protection but they also get multiple tips at once as most have multiple table at once. Also they have no overhead to pay on an average work day. Independent Contractors like we who work for DoorDash have gas expenses, vehicle expenses, vehicle insurance and other cost such as hotbags and cleaning expenses. Also we don’t have any of the other benefits available to waiters or waitresses mentioned above nor do we get multiple tables at once. Just those facts alone should make it easy to understand that you have to stop the comparison. You are trying to treat new age advanced gig workers with old outdated tipping model. The work performed is at best similar but in now way the same. That also goes with the 20% tipping rule. That should be higher based on the expenses for drivers. I’m glad you think its okay for a driver to take a 12 mile 1 way order(24 miles round trip) for 3.00 and no tip. So that driver just made his or her gas money back and nothing for car expenses or pay. That is the most ridiculous thing I have ever heard from anyone who says they understand the business. Please stop writing these ridiculous articles until you have done your research properly.

28. Ruth

July 19, 2021 at 2:29 pm

I’m so glad to read all of the above comments.

I deliver groceries for Instacart. We’re independent contractors. Once we pick up a batch, we have the obligation to finish that batch. I don’t have the obligation to pick up every order that I’m offered. I see options and I carefully pick out the ones that will make me a living wage, while leaving the rest to sit. There’s no federal law stating that I have to serve non tipping customers.

I go by the mantra “No tip, no trip.” I never take a non tipping order for any reason, no matter how high the pay is.

Non tipping customers are usually the same ones who complain and leave poor ratings for things beyond the Shopper’s control. Poor ratings could cause me to lose my contract. No thanks!

It’s degrading to assume that anyone should work for free. When a customer fails to tip, that tells me that they don’t value or appreciate my service and they think that I’m worth less than minimum wage, Since Instacart isn’t my favorite charity, I won’t be working for free.

People have the choice not to tip. But freedom of choice goes both ways. I also have the choice to not pick up their order.

There’s no obligation on any of the independent contractor gigs to work for $0.26/hour. Anyone who says otherwise is out of touch with reality.

29. Dave Batts

August 18, 2021 at 10:45 am

Also door dash has lowered the base pay from $3.00 to $2.00/$2.25 per trip. Ridiculous my acceptance went from low 90s to 60%

30. F

August 19, 2021 at 7:25 pm

Factor in fuel, maintenance and your time amd you literally are paying to deliver peoples food.

I’ve done deliveries since 2018.
    Most tips suck and few people tip well.

I recently quit all delivery services because thebrates became pathetic. Doordash went first as most payments became $2-3 and they have the nerve to verate you for unwillingness to run in excess of 7-10 of those a shift.

Not sure where the writer got their information.

31. Bs

August 19, 2021 at 10:30 pm

Lol…all the rage from the drivers! If you leave it up to them, they will want more than a 100% tip! I think a 20% tip on an order is good enough specially if its short distance (in my area doordash has a 5 mile radius limit)

32. Pro gig worker and researcher

August 21, 2021 at 10:17 am

As a former Uber and Lyft driver and Postmates plus Point Pick up driver, I have to disagree with your article MOST PEOPLE DO NOT TIP AT ALL. and on too of that the base pay foe any of thise apps are extremely below poverty levels. I am currently delivering food only for Doordash on a part time basis and it is the same b.s. LOW BASE PAY and hardly any tips, so for you to make a mockery of the word tip and dare to say you are asking for a tip here is a tip deliver the food regardless if there is a tip or not, you are completely out of line. to begin you show you have no clue of what an independent contractor means and what is involved. Second, if you truly were a defender of service industry , you should know that most people work and are paid an hourly rate and tips are the extra income those people are counting to be able to pay for rent and other expenses.
    but on the other hand with gig workers we have no hourly guarantee pay we have no benefits if I get injured if I fall and require medical attention, none of those gig apps pay for any bills . on top of that gig workers pay for their own expenses like buying a car or motorcycle to do deliveries or rides plus additional expenses such as gas, car maintenance,car insurance plus commercial insurance, meals, and much more depending on which app you are working . on the other hand the hourly employee has no expenses everything is provided by the employer.
    so you should do a better research before you post an article like this one that is insulting to the gig worker and encourages Karen’s to abuse gig workers.
    I guess you do not know that there is a percentage of rude and demanding customers that expect the best with out tipping while the drivers makes only 3.25 for a lousy ride or delivery which can take mire than half an hour to complete the ride or delivery and you expect us gig workers to follow your stupid advice ? I will dare you to sign up for any delivery app and drive for 6 months without any other income and I will guarantee you you will be singing a different song after those 6 months

33. PRO GIG WORKER AND TRR RESEARCHER

August 21, 2021 at 10:53 am

As a former Uber and Lyft driver and Postmates plus Point Pick up driver, I have to disagree with your article MOST PEOPLE DO NOT TIP AT ALL. and on top of that the base pay for any of these apps are extremely below poverty levels. I am currently a driver delivering food only for Doordash on a part time basis and with doordash is the same b.s. LOW BASE PAY and hardly any tips, so for you to make a mockery of the word (tip) and dare to say (you are asking for a tip here is a tip deliver the food regardless if there is a tip or not,) you are completely out of line. to begin you show you have no clue of what an independent contractor means and what is involved. Second, if you truly were a defender of the service industry , you should know that most people who work in service are paid an hourly rate and tips are the extra income those people are counting to be able to pay for rent and other expenses.
    but on the other hand with gig workers we have no hourly guarantee pay, we have no benefits, and if I get injured like if i fall, assaulted, or run over while crossing the street while delivering an order, all of those gig apps will not pay for any medical bills much less for worker compensantion none at all. also did you know that gig workers pay for their own expenses like buying a car or motorcycle to do deliveries or rides plus additional expenses such as gas, car maintenance,car insurance plus commercial insurance, meals, and much more depending on which app you are working. on the other hand the hourly employee has no expenses everything is provided by the employer.
    so you should do a better research before you post an article like this one,
    which by the it s insulting to the gig worker and encourages Karen’s to abuse gig workers.
    I guess you also do not know that there is a percentage of rude and demanding customers that expect the best with out tipping while they expect a driver to earn only 3.25 for a lousy ride or delivery which can take more than half an hour to complete the ride or delivery. and you expect us gig workers to follow your stupid advice ? I will dare you to sign up for any delivery app and drive for 6 months without any other income and I will guarantee you will be singing a different song after those 6 months.
    one more thing please spare us from saying if we do not like it, go get an hourly job.
    that is another thing that you also do not know, a high percentage of gig drivers do have an houly job and work as a gig worker so they can make extra money to pay debts or for something else.
    i know that because i am one of them who earns money from other sources and do not rely solely on gig apps. the same goes for thousands of gig workers out there that are doing the same.
    In one word as long we remain as independent contractors for those gig apps,
    we can accept or denied any order regardless if there is a tip or not.
    and most likely wi will reject most low pay deliveries or rides.
    as for you the consumer wants speedy services make sure you tip well and you will get your delivery or ride quick and then you will not have to complain why it takes too long for your service.

34. True researcher

August 21, 2021 at 10:19 pm

Is a shame the editor of these article didn’t like my replied when I explain everything in detail. he must be one of those who doesn’t tip judge by his opinion and actions against my opinion which was deleted

35. Dg

January 5, 2022 at 10:43 pm

I think the best part of you ran down your fathers leg. A lot of balls to say just take the order. Well guess what? Now I just raised my minimal to 10 dollars and I wont accept anything under. It has been actually working and Im making some decent money ignoring your sage advice. Go pound sand!

36. Tony

April 17, 2022 at 12:10 pm

NO tip, NO trip.. Gig workers are here to make money. Not to satisfy POS human beings.

37. Scott

April 19, 2022 at 12:33 am

Right and what overhead does a server have????? None. I’m not going to PAY to bring you YOUR food, bud.

38. Shawn

April 19, 2022 at 8:34 am

I will not delivery for less than $20/hr and I get that or better virtually every time I go out. (I deliver with Uber.) And you do not do that by taking cheap deliveries that take a lot of time to do or as a rule involve a lot of driving. (I say “as a rule” because sometimes if an order pays really good, I make an exception.) I have almost never been tipbaited and maintain a customer satisfaction rating of at least 97%. (It is 99% as of this writing.)

I do not know how the formats work for other services as I have only done Postmates and now Uber and I did not have as strict a policy with Postmates. (I would go as low as $15/hr with them but I also had fewer delivery options.) But I have figured out the Uber app and how to maximize my money per shift and have been focusing on minimizing overall driving as well. (This one admittedly is harder to do but I try nonetheless.) But the overall formula is simple: do not take the non-tipped orders. Period. If you accidently take one (like I did last night), cancel the order immediately. If that means those who are too cheap to tip do not eat, so be it.

39. Lorraine

April 19, 2022 at 9:33 am

I drive for DoorDash and I live in a rural area. Often I’m delivering orders up to 15 miles away. It would not be profitable for me to deliver a $2.50 order 10 miles or more. With the price of gas so high, I would actually be spending money to deliver orders like that. Thank you for sharing this editorial. Those customers who agree with your opinion that we should deliver orders tip or no tip no matter how many miles away the customer is, may read this editorial and comments and perhaps become enlightened as to why their no tip orders sit at the restaurant and no one picks them up. Their order gets canceled and the food is thrown away. Someone suggested a per mile delivery fee. I think it’s a good idea. That way no one loses out and customers won’t feel like they are being pressured to tip because what they are expected to pay is up front.

40. Leroy

April 19, 2022 at 12:52 pm

I drive on the side using Doordash, and this is how it is. I use my personal vehicle for this, so it’s my fuel, my wear and tear, and my time. As a customer, if you choose a delivery service such as Doordash, or any other service, YOU are choosing convenience, therefore, YOU are agreeing to pay their fees to get items from a merchant which YOU would otherwise need to travel to, to aquire. YOU are not obligated to tip, and that’s fine. As a driver, I am not obligated to accept a delivery without making money. That’s the name of the game right? If I take a delivery to an apartment complex, have to call you to get a gate code, and run up three flights of stairs, believe that I’m not doing that for nothing. The individual who wrote the article seems to be underqualified in the realm of delivery driving, judging by the overall sense of intitlement. It’s simple really. No tip, no trip.

41. Scott

April 19, 2022 at 10:06 pm

driver’s pay for the gas to make the runs no tip runs can take alot of time to do waiting for the order can take up to 15 minutes driving time to time is money if you’re a driver I can’t take 45 minutes for a free trip

42. Joshua

April 20, 2022 at 7:50 am

Wow!

Advice for you, since a freelance writer thinks they know something about food delivery because they served tables in college, is that you should start taking the first low ball offer you get EVERY SINGLE TIME someone reaches out to you to write a piece regardless of the time needed to invest in research.

I’ll start with the first offer for you: “Why UberEATS and DoorDash should change their business models to bring their drivers under an employment contract with a guaranteed wage to ensure happy customers and drivers!”.

Just send me your PayPal, I’ll send you the $3 when you’re done.

43. Mark

April 20, 2022 at 7:51 pm

An independent contractor is not required to do anything they don’t agree to. So if that 3 dollar offer comes up, there’s no requirement for me to fulfill it unless I accept it. Try it. Gig app for a month or two instead of writing ones sided opinion articlees and you’ll see how crappy customers can be.

AT&T hit with age discrimination lawsuit over using the word “tenured”

(EDITORIAL) 78% of workers are victims of age discrimination. As awareness arises, lawsuits show what may constitute discrimination, including verbiage.

Older man at cafe representing age discrimination

According to the AARP, 78% of older workers have seen or experienced age discrimination in the workplace. As awareness of ageism increases, lawsuits that allege age bias can help employers understand what constitutes discrimination. A recent case from the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Fifth Circuit, Smith v. AT&T Mobility Services, L.L.C., No. 21-20366 (5th Cir. May 17, 2022), should give employers pause about using other words that could potentially be a euphemism for “older worker.”

What the lawsuit was about

Smith, a customer service representative at AT&T, alleged that he was denied a promotion because of his age. His manager told him that she was not going to hire any tenured employees. The manager wanted innovative employees in the management positions. Smith took this to mean that he was being denied the promotion because of his age. He sued under the Age Discrimination in Employment Act and Texas law.

The district court found that Smith failed to exhaust his administrative remedies as to one claim and failed to establish a prima facie case of discrimination as to the other two claims. Smith appealed. The Appellate court affirmed the district court’s decision, but they did say it was “close.” AT&T did not discriminate against Smith by using the word tenured, because there were other employees of the same age as Smith who were promoted to customer service management positions.

Be aware of the verbiage used to speak to employees

This case is another example of how careful employers need to be about age discrimination, not only in job postings. It’s imperative to train managers about the vagaries of ageism in the workplace to avoid a costly lawsuit. Even though AT&T prevailed, the company still had a pretty hefty legal tab. Don’t try to get around the ADEA by using terminology that could screen out older workers, such as “digital native,” or “recent college grad.” Remind employees and managers about ageism. Document everything. Pay attention to other cases about age discrimination, such as the iTutor case or this case about retirement-driven talk. You may not be able to prevent an employee from feeling discriminated against, but you can certainly protect your business by doing what you can to avoid ageism.

Writing with pen and paper may mean your smarter than your digital peers

(EDITORIAL) Can writing old fashioned make you smarter? Once considered and art form, handwriting is becoming a thing of the past, but should it be?

Writing on paper job titles.

When I was in college, in 2002, laptops weren’t really commonplace yet. Most students took notes by writing with pen and paper. Today, most students take notes with laptops, tablets, cell phones, or other electronic devices. The days of pen and paper seem to be fading. Some students even wait until the end of class and use their cell phones to take a picture of the whiteboard, so in effect, they are not absorbing any of the information because they “can just take a picture of it and look at it later.”

Is it easier to take notes on an electronic device? I think that largely depends on preference. I type faster than I write, but I still prefer to take notes on paper.

According to researchers at Princeton University and the University of California, Los Angeles, students who take handwritten notes generally outperform students who typed them.

Writing notes help students learn better, retain information longer, and more readily grasp new ideas, according to experiments by other researchers who also compared note-taking techniques.

While most students can type faster than they write, this advantage is short-term. As the WSJ points out, “after just 24 hours, the computer note takers typically forgot material they’ve transcribed, several studies said. Nor were their copious notes much help in refreshing their memory because they were so superficial.” So while it may take a bit longer to capture the notes by hand, more likely than not, you will retain the information longer if you put pen to paper.

As I teach English Composition at the University of Oklahoma, I would also like to say that while I find this to be true for myself, every student has a different learning style. Typed notes are much better than no notes at all. Some students detest writing by hand and I understand that. Everything in our world has gone digital from phones to cable television so it makes sense, even if I don’t like it, that students gravitate more towards electronic note taking than pen and paper.

While I would like to see more students take notes by hand, I certainly won’t require it. Some students are navigating learning disabilities, anxieties, and other impediments that make taking notes digitally more advantageous.

I imagine the same is true for other areas as well: instead of typing meeting notes, what would happen if you wrote them by hand? Would you retain the information longer? Perhaps, and perhaps not; again, I think this depends on your individual learning style.

I would like to suggest that if you are one of the more “electronically-minded” writers, use a flashcard app, or other studying tool to help you review your classroom notes or meeting notes to make them “stick” a bit better. While I find this type of research intriguing, if you enjoy taking your notes electronically, I wouldn’t change my method based on this.

If it’s working for you, keep doing it. Don’t mind me, I’ll be over here, writing everything down with pen and paper.

5 reasons using a VPN is more important now than ever

(EDITORIAL) Virtual private networks (VPN), have always been valuable, but now, more than ever, entrepreneurs and businesses really should have them.

VPN

Virtual private networks (VPN), have always been valuable, but some recent developments in technology, laws, and politics are making them even more important for entrepreneurs and businesses.

A VPN serves as an intermediary layer of anonymity and security between your computer and your internet connection. Your Wi-Fi signal is a radio wave that can ordinarily be intercepted, so any data you transmit back and forth could be taken and abused by interested parties. VPNs act as a kind of middleman, encrypting the data you transmit and protecting you from those prying eyes.

Top10BestVPN.com offers a selection of some of the best-reviewed VPN services on the market; there you can see the different approaches to security and anonymity that different brands take, and get a feel for the price points that are available. But why is it that VPNs are becoming even more important for business owners and entrepreneurs?

These are just five of the emerging influencers in the increasing importance of VPNs:

1. The rise of IoT. The Internet of Things (IoT) is already taking off, with a predicted 8.4 billion devices will be connected to the internet by the end of the year. All those extra connections mean extra points of vulnerability; hackers are skilled at finding tiny entry points, so every new channel you open up on your Wi-Fi connection is another opportunity they could potentially exploit. Using a VPN won’t make your network completely hack-proof—user errors, like giving your password away in a phishing scam, are still a potential threat—but VPNs will make your network more secure than it was before.

2. The popularity of ransomware. Ransomware is growing in popularity, seizing control of devices, sometimes for weeks or months before activating, then holding the device “hostage,” and demanding payment in exchange for releasing the files that are stored on it. These attacks are fast and efficient, making them ideal for hackers to use against small businesses. Again, using a VPN won’t make you immune from these types of attacks, but they will make you harder to target—and hackers tend to opt for the path of least resistance.

3. The escalation of attacks on small businesses. Speaking of small businesses, they happen to be some of the most frequent targets of cybercriminals. About 43 percent of all cyberattacks target small businesses, in part because they have fewer technological defenses but still have valuable assets. Protecting yourself from cyberattacks is a must if you want your business to survive.

4. Political attacks on net neutrality. Politicians have recently attempted to attack and eliminate net neutrality, which is the long-standing guarantee that internet providers can’t violate user privacy by collecting and/or reporting on certain types of data, and can’t create “slow lanes” that throttle certain types of traffic. If net neutrality is abolished, you could face slower internet traffic and decreased privacy on the web. A VPN could, in theory, protect you from these effects. First, your web traffic would be anonymized, so internet providers couldn’t gather as much data on you as other customers. Second, you’ll be routed through a private VPN server, which could help you get around some of the speed throttling you might otherwise see. It’s uncertain whether net neutrality will ultimately fall, but if it does, you’ll want a VPN in place to protect you.

5. The affordability and diversity of VPNs available. Finally, it’s worth considering that VPNs are more affordable and more available than ever before. There are specific VPNs for all manner of businesses and individuals, and they’re all reasonably affordable. Inexpensive options can be yours for as little as a few dollars per month, and more robust, secure options are still affordable, even for frugal businesses. If you try a VPN provider you don’t like, you can always cancel and switch to another provider. This availability makes it easier to find exactly what you need.

If you’ve never used a VPN before and you’re confused, try not to be intimidated. VPNs sound complex, but connecting to one is a simple login process you can use on practically any device. The hardest part is choosing a reliable provider that suits your business’s need. With the influx of coming changes, it’s a good idea to get your VPN in place sooner rather than later.