Hi, what are you looking for?

The American GeniusThe American Genius

NAR Plans to Extend Clueleseness into 2009

Jay Thompson has covered the saga of NAR’s entry into the Tournament of Roses Parade over on NAR Wisdom, so I won’t rehash the whole thing here. But I couldn’t resist this nugget culled today’s e-mail from NAR, signed by our new president, Charles McMillan:

Also, for the first time ever, there will be a Viewers’ Choice Award. After you watch the parade tomorrow, visit https://www.ktla.com/roseparade_poll to vote for your favorite Rose Parade float. Voting will be open from 10 a.m. to 6 p.m. Pacific Time with the winner awarded January 2. I know each of you will be proud to support your REALTOR® float.

Actually, Chuck, I won’t. In fact, I think I ought to be able to reduce my national dues by 2 cents (my guess at my financial share of this debacle, unverified since NAR’s never mentioned the total cost) as a sign that NAR should be working on more important issues than a flower-covered float.

Stick a “Foreclosed” rider on the front of the Swiss Family Robinson’s home and maybe you’d get a vote in the “Most Realistic Depiction” category.

Realizing the best way to change NAR is to get involved, if someone could tell me how to sign up for the “Committee in Charge of Making Sure We Don’t Spend Money on Stupid (Expletive)” I’d appreciate it.

Advertisement. Scroll to continue reading.

Written By

Jonathan Dalton is a Realtor with RE/MAX Desert Showcase in Peoria, Arizona and is the author of the All Phoenix Real Estate blog as well as a half-dozen neighborhood sites. His partner, Tobey, is a somewhat rotund beagle who sleeps 21 hours a day.

1. Paula Henry

December 31, 2008 at 6:16 pm

Jonathan – I know you are serious, but between you and Russell, I am having a great laugh here tonight.

On a serious note – I hope they don’t plant a big sign on that float telling the world what a great time it is to buy a home.

That music has died! and doesn’t apply to everyone.

2. Ryan Hukill

December 31, 2008 at 6:32 pm

Well said! I’m thinking there are plenty of things the association could be doing to actually raise the standard of our profession and improve the image that the public holds of us. I’m pretty sure a float is going to do nothing productive for either category.

3. Jonathan Dalton

December 31, 2008 at 6:52 pm

Russell? That sign’s nothing. You should hear the recording on his talking house gimmick …

“Hi. I’m 123 State Street. Russell sells a house every 32 seconds. I’m not bragging. I’m applying for a job. I want to be your house. Besides, he keeps charcoal lighter in the garage just in case I don’t sell. Brings new meaning to ‘If I don’t do what I say, fire me’.”

4. Paula Henry

December 31, 2008 at 7:04 pm

Keep racking em up! Flippin’ hilarious. I never knew “fire me” had additional meaning.

Okay, Russell, your turn.

5. teresa boardman

December 31, 2008 at 7:08 pm

LOL. happy new year

6. Bob

December 31, 2008 at 7:17 pm

What a way to end the year Jonathon. Classic.

7. Jonathan Dalton

December 31, 2008 at 7:47 pm

Always believe it’s best to bring in the new year with a bang, Bob.

And happy new year to you, Mrs. B.

8. Jay Thompson

December 31, 2008 at 8:06 pm

I’ll join that committee with you.

I really just want to know what the damn thing cost. (And the special theme song for it too.)

9. Vicki Lloyd

December 31, 2008 at 8:18 pm

My local AOR was recruiting agents to come participate in the decorating of this thing. I declined.

10. Jonathan Dalton

December 31, 2008 at 8:31 pm

Jay – if the top ripped off of it and it turned into the Delta’s float from Animal House, then would it be worth it?

Vicki – good call.

11. Julie Emery

December 31, 2008 at 8:45 pm

I’m betting the sign will say “This is the bottom. Really! This time we’re sure!”

12. Bob

December 31, 2008 at 10:39 pm

I heard they will be selling autographed copies of David Lereah’s last book during the parade to defray costs for their upcoming ad campaign.

January 1, 2009 at 1:15 pm

Well, it sure has been fun to watch this on Twitter…

14. Elaine Reese

January 1, 2009 at 4:25 pm

When I got the email last night, I wanted to “reply” but it’s an outbound-only email address.

I was rather offended by the VOTE FOR ME link.

BTW, did anyone HEAR the special custom song? I couldn’t hear ANY music!

15. Ines

January 1, 2009 at 10:13 pm

what if it had cupholders? 😀

16. Ruthmarie Hicks

January 1, 2009 at 10:38 pm

When I initially read about the NAR float – I thought “AH….now that sounds like money well spent – NOT!” If you find out how to sign up for the “committee in charge of making sure we don’t spend money on stupid (insert expletive of choice.)” let me know..I’ll sign up too.

17. Maureen Francis

January 2, 2009 at 8:36 am

I guess I am the only one who got the email after I had already seen the float on TV. Another opportunity lost.

18. Jay Thompson

January 2, 2009 at 9:47 am

I never got an email Mo….