Lead Generation

How not to behave in someone else’s home

RUDE REAL ESTATE

This one is worth sharing and I know everyone has their own rules regarding what they let people see on their sites and whether or not the consumer should sign up to browse your IDX …..yadayadayada

We have tried different approaches to our IDX system on our website. We’ve had it totally available and without sign up requests, and now we have made a conscious decision to include call to action buttons on Miamism.com where the consumer can actually see some information from the MLS, but if they want more, they would have to sign up. Once done, they can choose whether or not to be included in certain campaigns and receive emails from us on a regular basis.

Here’s the deal – our website is our house. We built it, we decide what information we provide, we have a business from it, we own it, we pay for it, we work for it, and we make the rules. If people don’t like our rules they have 3 choices:

1. don’t come back
  2. ask nicely if we will make an exception
  3. be difficult (can’t write what I really wanted to write for option 3)

Take a look at what someone wrote to us this past weekend (in bold and all caps as if screaming at us):

aT THIS TIME i DO NOT WISH TO SPEAK WITH AN AGENT. i AM ANXIOUS TO FIND THE PERFECT HOME FOR ME AND MY FAMILY AND i WOULD LIKE TO DO MY OWN LEG WORK WITHOUT AN AGENT CONSTANTLY CALLING ME

So let me get this right.  This person is visiting MY home and setting rules for me?  So because I sell real estate, this person thinks that they have the right to scream at me?  (I swear I’m laughing while I’m writing this but isn’t it a bit absurd?)  This person wants to use my system, that I pay for and make a living from, but does not want me to contact them?

I’m leaving it here, haven’t decided what to do with it yet.

Ines is all Miami, all the time. A Miami Beach Realtor® with Majestic properties, Ines authors Miamism.com, PrimeMiamiBeach.com, and MiamismPix.com and is always on communication's leading edge. She goes out of her way to engage and be engaged, often using Mojitos to keep the mood light and give everything she does a Miami flavor. You can find her goofing off or instigating trouble at Twitter, Flickr, Facebook or LinkedIn.

1. Anita

June 29, 2009 at 8:24 am

Ines,

You make some good points and though I agree with your concept “it’s your house you make the rules” by the same token, different people, different houses, different rules. I think some agents go overboard with the follow up of online leads. They set up the automatic drip mail campaign, send constant emails and phone calls. Using your analogy, it’s the equavalent of the hostess who is constantly checking on her guest every few minutes….

Can I get you something to drink? ……. Have you tried the jalapeno dip? It’s incredible!……. Did you see what we did with the guest bedroom?…… How are you doing? Everything ok?…… You have to try the jalapeno dip! It’s a new recipe……. Are you still working on that same drink?…….. Come sit on the patio, we have a new firepit………. Here, try my mojito……

You get the idea. I can understand the buyers frustrations having been in their shoes. I was trying to help a family member find a home in another state so started doing a little research on line. I had to sign up to see property information so I did, clearly stating in my comments that I was a real estate agent doing preliminary research. I got bombarded with 3 automatic drip emails within 24 hours, along with an email from the agent who obviously didn’t read my comment or even looked at the homes I was previewing, an email from the agent’s assistant who also didn’t read my message, a phone call from the assistant following up the email she sent (which went to voicemail since she obviously didn’t bother to check what time zone I was in).

Capturing leads isn’t about how quickly or how often you respond.

2. Erion Shehaj

June 29, 2009 at 8:46 am

Hi Anita

The guest house analogy is a bit off. The correct analogy would be if someone came to your store and started demanding the number of your wholesale provider, screaming that you should drive him/her to their warehous and insisting that you MUST buy them a sandwich on the way there.

It’s ironic that someone who’s demanding information is not willing to reciprocate.

3. Anita

June 29, 2009 at 9:28 am

Erion,

In my analogy the guest is buyer, hostess is agent. The perspective is from buyers point of view. Using your store analogy it would be like going to the store and having a sales person following you around pointing out different things you should be looking at, offering to find you a different pair of jeans in your size, and oh btw what size are you, telling you about a great sale they are having on t-shirts, buy one get one 1/2 off, waiting outside the dressing room to give you feedback on how you look or to get you that same dress in a different size and then bringing back a couple of other dresses that they thought you might like to try on, etc.

Some people like that level of “service” others find it intrusive. Let’s keep in mind that the buyer visiting your website is a potential future client. One whom you invited by offering them the opportunity to search for homes on your site. It is up to you to decide who you want to work with (which Ines is doing by requiring information up front) and what your business style will be. Then work with the buyers who fit your style. But don’t knock the buyers who don’t fit your style. I’m not a big fan of giving away my personal information online to someone or some entity I don’t really know anything about.

I do not find it ironic that people do not want to give you their personal information in reciprocation of the nonpersonal property data you will provide. Do you provide your home phone number and address on your website? In this day and age when identity theft is rampant, we can’t just expect people to give us their personal info without a thought, online, and for most agents, not necessarily through a secure means.

Going back to the guest analogy, it’s one thing for the hostess to say “let me take your hat and coat” another thing to say “here fill out this 2 page questionnaire about your likes and dislikes so I can make sure your stay is comfortable”. The intentions may be good but may just be a bit much for some people.

Ok, I know my analogies may be a little extreme, just trying to make a point.

4. Joe Spake

June 29, 2009 at 9:39 am

Or the “guest in my home” behavior that I hate most: The little bread and butter note that goes something like this: “….thanks for all the great information; you have an awesome site, and your emails have been very informative. It has been extremely helpful in our home search, and I told our agent that again as we were writing an offer on our dream home. Thanks again…..”

5. Benn Rosales

June 29, 2009 at 10:39 am

Here’s the thing, Anita is correct in her analogy, and I get what she’s saying with “there has to be some middle ground.”

On the other hand, the real question becomes, do we decide, or does consumer demand decide? It’s almost like setting a sales price- you set it at the ultimate make you happy scenario, and wait for offers, if none come, you adjust downward to find the middle.

I think Ines you make the right decision ultimately, and knowing you, you’ll adjust your sales price until you hit the sweet spot- at the end of the day, what good is all you’re doing, and what you own if you’re so inlove with it, no offer is good enough- that’s never been your style.

6. Erion Shehaj

June 29, 2009 at 11:07 am

Anita

I’m not for bombarding the prospective clients with incessant phone calls and relentless email. My basic point is this. A Realtor is in the business of helping buyers and sellers get what they want and they make a living in the process. When an agent (or company) makes the investment to offer a search platform for their clients, she does so with the intent of generating more business. When I spoke of reciprocity, I was referring to the basic premise that if the agent is offering a prospect a tool, they earn the right to see if they can offer their value to the transaction just like a consumer reserves the right to refuse it. When consumers search for Houston Real Estate, I ask for a phone number when they register but also offer the opportunity to say “Just Browsing”. I have a problem with the entitlement mentality of someone who takes advantage of your investment with ZERO intention of giving its provider an opportunity to offer their help. Ultimately, abuse is wrong on both sides.

7. ines

June 29, 2009 at 11:09 am

Anita:
    I am not arguing that there are some aggressive sites there that can drive anyone insane – but I do think it’s their right to apply whatever business strategy works for them. I think the beauty of New Media is that we can attract like minded individuals and those that fit “our style”. My question here is how you ask for things.

Don’t go on my site demanding for me to act a certain way – ask nicely and then I’ll make a choice whether or not I want to work with you.

Erion and Anita: the consumer will have a choice to not come back, not use my services, walk out of the store, go to a different location, if they don’t like my business practice. But they have to realize it’s not only up to THEM to decide if they want to work with me – i’ve fired plenty of clients because they were disrespectful, not loyal or I just knew I could not help them and was doing them and myself a disservice

For the record, we don’t request personal information – an email will suffice – and they can create a free gmail or hotmail if they wish. the point is to be able to communicate with them and find out how they want to be treated, how they prefer to handle business and ultimately, if we can work together

Joe – 🙂 that’s a CLASSIC!

Benn – I think you know I’m pretty easy going and I do adjust accordingly, but one thing is for sure, I demand respect from my clients and I earn that. Any time I see a hint of disrespect, that’s the end of the relationship. The only one in my life that is allowed to disrespect me is my mother – no negotiating there.

8. ines

June 29, 2009 at 11:10 am

Erion – agreed!

9. Anita

June 29, 2009 at 1:03 pm

Benn – Thank you for getting me! And yes I think we, the agents, need to set the boundaries for what we want our business model to be.

Erion – I agree that we are offering a tool and the consumer should be aware that it is offered with the intention of possibly earning their business. I wasn’t necessarily objecting to the collection of some basic info such as an email in order to provide further assistance to the client. I was just trying to point out why some people really don’t want to have to give their contact info and how some agents can take things to the extreme. I strongly agree with you about not liking the whole entitlement mentality that seems to be par for the course, not just in real estate but in just about everything now days.

Ines – I totally agree. Every agent needs to decide what business style works for them and then work with the clients that fit their style. I have often said that if people don’t like the way I do business they are free to go and find another agent who will do what they want. Contrary to popular opinion, I am not available 24/7/365. BTW, my previous post wasn’t intended as a personal comment on your specific site. I think you’ve done an incredible job with Miamism, on all its platforms. 🙂

Oh, and maybe, just maybe, that person wasn’t yelling at you. Maybe just forgot the cap lock was on? Seeing as how the first letter of each sentence is in lower case…. Ok but no excuse for the actual message though.

10. Ines Hegedus-Garcia

June 29, 2009 at 1:15 pm

Anita – I know this is not personal, on the contrary, healthy discussion to try to figure out how the consumer thinks and what their expectations are – then we know how to reciprocate (or not) 🙂

11. Joe Loomer

June 29, 2009 at 1:18 pm

I was frankly amazed that it took until Anita’s most recent comment for anyone else to see the capslock angle. That’s what it said to me the moment I read the comment. A non-typist looking down at their hands who just hit “send” or “enter” before they even looked up.

It changes the IMPLIED emotion of the text, but not the message – it’s still a matter of “thanks for letting me use your house, kiss my a**.” I’m with ya on this one Ines.

Navy Chief, Navy Pride

12. Ines Hegedus-Garcia

June 29, 2009 at 1:29 pm

Joe – that’s why I left it untouched, there is certainly a chance that they were not screaming. There is also a chance that they don’t know that ALL CAPS MEANS YOU ARE TRYING TO MAKE A POINT!! 🙂 I wrote this to see reactions – I always give the benefit of the doubt and will let this person use my system (but will watch them like a hawk).

I always wonder where the consumer gets the idea that they can trample over people just because they can.

13. Paula Henry

June 29, 2009 at 2:31 pm

Ines – This one just came through this morning –

I would appreciate hearing what is on the market with a basement, main floor master and small yard under $400,000. in Zionsville or West Clay.
    Our home in Northern Indiana is on the market, but as I am sure you know, things are not moving very quickly. You will not be able to reach us by phone as we are at our cottage in Maine and searching only by
    internet.
    We are already working with an agent in Zionsville.

She can stay and look at homes, but I won’t be giving her my expertise about the Zionsville market. Many agents don’t have a site for their clients and somehow, it sounds like this lady wants a second opinion.

14. Ines Hegedus-Garcia

June 29, 2009 at 2:38 pm

Paula – never seizes to amaze me. That’s exactly what I would respond – “Are you seeking a second opinion, because I will not come in between the fiduciary duties of you and your agent – it would be unethical and out of line”

I had another gentleman that came straight out and said that he would be in Miami next month and had contacted several agents and would buy from the one that offered the best deal – at least he was honest upfront. I told him that I only committed to those clients that reciprocated the commitment and good luck with the final outcome.

15. Matthew Hardy

June 29, 2009 at 2:45 pm

As they say, sales is a numbers business so the first, best response to people you don’t want to do business with is to ignore them. Secondly, I agree with Erion that because we’re talking business here (not acquaintances/friendships) *value* is central to the relationship. Value is paid for. Prospects have to pay with their time and money to get something valuable. If they are unwilling, the businessperson should not waste their personal time. Signage, advertising, websites et al are there to encourage the interaction a true prospect will gladly engage in. This is called “qualifying” and is *the* critical component to justifying an agent’s personal time spent with a prospect.

16. Mark Jacobs

June 29, 2009 at 6:20 pm

I offer tools on my web site to help the consumer with their real estate needs. After displaying 4 to 5 homes with all their details, I require the person to log in to continue using the tools. I show the person that there is value in using my tools and services before I ask for their information. At this point the person has the choice to stay or leave. People who need help will log in and provide good contact information. People who supply bad information only want to use your service for free. Don’t waste your time and money on them. Let them go, and move on. If they act like this online do you really want to work with them?

Remember it’s your business, run it like a business

17. Jonathan Dalton

June 29, 2009 at 6:43 pm

> Capturing leads isn’t about how quickly or how often you respond.

Back in the day, there would be a 1,500-word missive in the works. Because capturing leads generally has everything to do with how quickly you respond.

I switched to registration-required in August. Altered it ever so slightly in April in an effort to pre-qualify folks (a set number of searches and/or views) and then went back to full registration about two weeks back.

Best success always has been in contacting those coming to the website immediately. If you don’t want an e-mail or a phone call from me, use a phony name. Mr. Jablowme has registered on my site four different times.

Because while the real estate transaction is about you (the consumer), my websites are about me. I’m not in the business of running an IDX service. I’m in the business of selling homes and I will do whatever I believe is effective to help me with that goal.

When I was at Schwab, people would call for stock quotes even though they didn’t have an account and get angry when we didn’t provide them. You know what? We were staffed to assist our customers. Feel free to call someone else if you have no interest in working with us.

The same goes for my IDX feeds on my site. You are not required to register to view the homes for sale in Phoenix. You’re only required to register if you want to view them on my site. Feel free to browse elsewhere is you choose, odds are we weren’t going to work together anyway.

18. Matthew Hardy

June 29, 2009 at 6:49 pm

@ Jonathan – We were staffed to assist our customers. Feel free to call someone else if you have no interest in working with us.

Well said.

19. Ines Hegedus-Garcia

June 29, 2009 at 6:51 pm

Matthew – I agree about ignoring them, but not at my expense. You don’t want me to contact you? go elsewhere – just like Jonathan “cupholder” Dalton states,

and Mark – absolutely – THAT’s where the key is. It is definitely a business and no one should expect to use someone else’s services for free.

20. Matt Stigliano

June 30, 2009 at 7:35 am

Ines – There’s a few things at play here (in my opinion). First, I’m not so sure if their intention was to scream. I agree with Joe that they seemed like they might just be staring down at the keyboard and not looking at their screen. I think it’s a case of errant caps-lock. Why? Look at what isn’t capitalized. First letter in the sentence as well as the word “I.” Looks like someone at least tried to use capitals, but with caps-lock on instead reversed the use.

Of course, that doesn’t change what’s happening here (other than making it seem a little less aggressive). I think that you’re right – it’s your house, that you built, and spent countless hours on creating for the public’s use, but you still have the right to choose how to interact with anyone visiting your site.

One of the things I’ve noticed as the internet has grown is a demand for everything the way the user wants it and nothing more. It happened with music, it happened with software, and I see it happen on websites. People have become demanding in what they want, how they want it, and the rules that govern what happens once they get what they want out of a site. And thanks to the sites that will email someone to death in order to “get the sale” (real estate or not), there is a perception that any website that requires registration is nothing more than a spam machine.

Knowing you, I know that your drip campaigns are probably interesting, insightful, and probably flavored with a little fun too. Had this person seen that first, they may have said “what the heck, the worst that can happen is I’ll have to hit delete once or twice.” Since they didn’t, they let their perception of what registration means interfere with some good interaction between themselves and you.

I agree with everyone in the thought that if this is their initial reaction, they probably wouldn’t wind up working with you in the first place. People have learned to take what they want from websites and move on. Not everyone, but many have. Before the internet, these were the same people that would call 100 listings to get info, then call their friend in the real estate business (who was too busy to help them right now) and sign a contract.

Good luck and let us know how it plays out.

21. MIssy Caulk

July 2, 2009 at 8:46 am

Ines, your know I am in agreement with how we treat visitors on our sites. There are plenty to go to for FREE, plenty…..

If folks don’t want to register to see what I am offering which is better than most IDX sites. Then they can move on.

When I get requests for CMA’s, I first go check the MLS to see IF it is already listed, if so I send a nice email and and ask them if the listing is expiring soon or they just want a 2nd opinion. Rarely do I hear back. However, before I started doing this I would inquire about the home, blah, blah, blah.

I too signed up on site once in TN, left a note not to contact as I was only looking around and already had a Realtor. Did they read it? NO
    I was immediately put on their drip campaign.

For someone who is a stronge advocate for registering, the most important thing is to put an opt out on everything you send them so they can stop it at anytime.

I got one recently it was “DO NOT CALL ME, IF YOU DO YOU GO OFF MY LIST OF FINDING A HOME FOR MY SON.”

We didn’t call or drip them. The buyer has choices and we respect them, but respect is equal too, we don’t compromise on the registeration.

22. ines

July 2, 2009 at 11:55 am

If you begin a relationship with antagonism – it’s a sure sign to see where that relationship will end up. I’m tired of dealing with people on the defensive.

How to

Where to look for your next short sale listing

As the economy shifts, short sales in real estate continue to be a commonality, and many real estate agents are learning how to improve their skills in performing these types of listings.

real estate short sales

real estate short sales

2012 Is Still the Year of the Short Sale

Despite what the person in the office next to you might be saying, there are still plenty of opportunities to list a short sale. The Mortgage Forgiveness Act of 2007 is still set to expire at the end of the year; this means that those who want to take advantage of this program need to get their homes listed (and closed) as short sales as soon as possible. Additionally, there are still a number of great relocation assistance programs available through many of the major servicers. With these stars still in alignment, now is a great time to take a few short sale listings.

Here are a few places where you might be able to find your next short sale listing:

• The office. Listen to the other agents long for the days of yore when listings grew on trees and everyone was making more money than they could imagine. These same agents may not consider short sales their cup of tea. Why not approach those agents and let them know that you are willing to take those transactions off their hands and will gladly accept any referrals?
  • Your accountant. Now, this will not work if you are using TurboTax. But, if you use an accountant or CPA to prepare your taxes, know that he (or she) comes in contact with lots of folks that may need the services of a short sale agent.
  • Online. There are lots of different online platforms where you can obtain pre-foreclosure data. Three popular platforms are www.rebogateway.com, www.realtytrac.com and www.foreclosureradar.com. You can obtain data on all sorts of things, such as pre-foreclosure notices, and recent divorces. Use this data when sending out direct mail.
  • Answer your phone and return all phone calls. I make it my policy to return all phone calls. I answer tons of questions from folks all around the United States about the trials and tribulations of short sales. My general good will has lead to countless short sale listings and referrals.

So the next time you are considering going out to market for more short sale listings, you do not have to go too far. Many of the tools that you need are all around you. The question is: Do is use ‘em?

Business Marketing

Nurture your leads to turbo-charge your business growth

Maximizing leads

You get a new lead. Now what? Do you take down their contact details? Put them in your contact management system? Simply jot down their name and phone number in a notebook or on a sticky note?

To maximize the number of leads you convert into clients, you need to nurture your leads. This involves adding them to your contact management system (or CRM) and then subsequently assigning them to a lead nurture program (once some sort of initial contact has been made).

For hot leads, during your initial contact with them you’ll of course want to try to win their business right away. But sometimes people are not ready or don’t agree to use your services immediately and this is where lead nurture programs step into the forefront.

Avoid losing business opportunities

Failure to nurture leads will result in lost business opportunities. The fact of the matter is that there are many people who will contact you to inquire about your services or to learn more about what you have to offer. There’s a good probability that those who are interested but decide not to use your services right way will do business with you in the future. They’re just not ready right now or need more time to deliberate.

So this is where lead nurturing comes into play. It’s best defined as communicating with your leads over time in a way that they would find both valuable and relevant. By doing so, you’re staying “top of mind” until the lead is ready to become a client.

A good contact management system should allow you to create your own lead nurture program or utilize a lead nurture program that’s pre-designed for you. These programs usually consist of a series of emails and phone calls at various points in time. Each time a phone call is made or an email is sent, you’re providing relevant and valuable content to the lead so they’ll come to enjoy hearing from you. Your contact management system should enable you to automate the lead nurture emails you sent out and remind you when to make a phone call.

Lead nurturing is truly a must – effective lead nurturing results in more clients, a higher ROI for your marketing initiatives, and stronger relationships with your sphere. Make sure you don’t let your quality leads fall by the wayside.

Lead Generation

Gear up for 2012 with short sale leads – tips and tricks

Are Short Sales Part of Your Business Plan?

With 2012 just around the corner, everyone and her (his) mother is talking about how to make more money than ever before. It’s time to start writing your business plan, putting deals together, and figuring out those new ways to be successful next year. It’s the same every single year. When December arrives, agents assess their closings for the current year, and then they jump for joy or wince uncomfortably.

That being said, 2012 will be another good year for the short sale transaction. And, if you have gotten no other message from all of my weekly columns, get this one: you owe it to yourself and to your past clients to add the short sale transaction to your bag of tricks.

You see… Kevin Bacon aside (that’s my tribute to Six Degrees of Separation), everyone knows someone who knows someone that is having trouble making ends meet right now. So, why not help that individual out of a jam, unload the property, do a good job? This might even result in more short sale leads.

Short sale leads are all around you.

Here are a few ways to get some short sale transactions into your pipeline:

1. Market Regularly to your Sphere of Influence. It’s not rocket science. If your sphere knows that you can work short sales, they might call you or refer you to someone who needs your help today.
  2. Use Social Media to Connect. Again, I’m not reinventing the wheel here. Reach out to your online friends. Say ‘hi.’ Remind them that you exist and that you are still in the field of real estate. You might be surprised when you learn about how many did not realize that you are still in real estate.
  3. Leverage an Open House. Not sure where to begin your short sale lead campaign? Have an open house at one of your listings in a neighborhood ripe with short sale leads. Create invitations. Invite neighbors (in advance). You might be surprised. The conversation can turn to distressed properties at any given moment. Don’t have a listing? Borrow one!

Finding short sale leads is not as difficult as it may seem. The key is to get out and do something. Do it regularly and consistently, and the leads will come.

Photo: flickr creative commons by Orin Zebest