Top 5 Things I Will Not Be Blogging Bout this Month

Why don’t people write blog posts?

Some people have writer’s block. Some people are just too busy (yes, even in this market). Some people are lazy.

Well, I don’t have writer’s block. I AM quite busy – but always have time to blog. And I am not lazy. So,  why have I been so silent?

Everything I want to write about, I actually do not want to write about. So, instead of writing about it, I am just going to list off my Top 5 Things I am Not Going to Write About.

#1: The Obama/Palin Race

The horse has been beaten. I think it is dead, but I am sure more people will beat it. No one knows how/if the new president (or Vice President) can or will fix the current “housing” situation. Quite frankly, I don’t think that there is anything that needs to be fixed. Maybe we all just need to adjust. I have nothing left to say.

This tweet from Jim Duncan made me laugh, though:

#2: The Housing Economy Sob Story

Please. Please. Please. PLEASE. If you are just going to complain about the fact that it is not 2006 anymore, please just stop blogging. If you are not going to be proactive and look for new and better ways to be in the business of real estate, please just stop blogging. News Flash: The Sky is Not Falling

I was going to write an entire ditribe about this, but figured that I would just make too many people uncomfortable in their comfortable life of doing things the old way and not seeing results. I am not interested in comparing sob stories. I would rather figure out how to be SUCCESSFUL in the Colorado Springs real estate market (shameless plug…) than point my finger at everyone else and cry about having to readjust my business plan.

#3: Redfin Let People Go

Um. So? I admit … I am not a fan of the Redfin Business Model. But, quite frankly, that is irrelevant. There are plenty of real estate companies whose numbers are down. I could go into a huge rant as to WHY it is such a big deal that Redfin lost people compared to other companies … But in the scope of things, who really cares? I read in Benn’s recent post: It is just “Another sign of the times…” Yep.

#4: Housing Bail Out

Heck! I would still love to write about this, but I have no idea what it means. Nor do I understand any of the ripple effects that will eventually affect me or my clients. I have read, and read, and read, and read about it and am STILL in the land of non-understanding regarding this. So? I won’t be writing about this. At least not THIS month.

#5: Monkeys

Yeah, I was going to write about monkeys, but I thought it may be inappropriate for this setting and people would be more interested in reading about NAR or POVERTY or BLOGGING anyway. (And there is always that ONE person who takes a post about monkeys (or penguins) as a personal jab… ).

So, until I get my next post together about How to Use Blogging in Real Estate, I may be a bit silent … mulling over MORE things that I will not blog about.

Mariana is a real estate agent and co-owner of the Wagner iTeam with her husband, Derek. She maintains the Colorado Springs Real Estate Connection Blog and is also a real estate technology trainer and coach. Mariana really enjoys helping real estate agents boost their businesses and increase their productivity through effective use of technology. Outside of real estate, blogging and training, she loves spending time with her husband and 2 sons, reading, re-watching Sci-Fi movies and ... long walks on the beach?

1. Chris Shouse

October 16, 2008 at 6:54 pm

Love it you are right on and so is Jim Duncan comment. Thanks for the smile.

2. Ricardo Bueno

October 16, 2008 at 6:55 pm

So while we ever-so-patiently await your next post in the series, guess what I came across on the web?

Hilarious!!!

3. Mariana Wagner

October 16, 2008 at 7:22 pm

Chris – 🙂

Ricardo – Oh, thanks for that. I STILL laugh at that video …

4. monika

October 16, 2008 at 7:27 pm

I’m with you on this…sometimes it is better to blog about what you won’t blog about. LOL!

5. Michelle B.

October 16, 2008 at 8:27 pm

Sigh. I was really hoping for the monkey post. But I’d be equally happy with a penguin post, please. LIghthearted is totally underrated… ( =

6. Gretchen Faber

October 16, 2008 at 9:30 pm

Hi Mariana,
    I love your list. Here are a few things I won’t be writing about:
    1: what the DOW is going to do tomorrow.
    2: what the job of Fed Chief really is and how his decisions will affect us all (or Secretary of the Treasury for that matter).
    3: Why my puppy chewed my brand new running shoe just after I bragged to a friend that he doesn’t chew shoes.
    4: where Sarah Palin got her glasses.
    5: Why Derek looks like he’s sitting in the bathroom on the …

7. Michelle DeRepentigny

October 16, 2008 at 10:29 pm

I finally broke down and wrote about pumpkins today after being silent for several weeks. I figured no one could mis-interpret pumpkins – then I realized one of them had a ghost on it so someone could get into an argument about spiritualism…and one had a deer on it, but I promise no animals were harmed in the making of this fall celebration pumpkin.

Oh well, maybe I’ll find something non-controversial to write about in a few more weeks.

8. Ricardo Bueno

October 17, 2008 at 12:54 am

@Mariana Ha! I was crackin’ up! Tell Derek I said thanks for the laugh… And see ya at next year’s REBlogworld (there is a part II comin’ right Todd?).

9. Mariana Wagner

October 17, 2008 at 7:47 am

Moni- LOL. It is all I could do!

Michelle – Here is the Penguin Post: https://agentgenius.com/?p=2143

Gretchen – Derek was NOT in the bathroom. LMAO!

Michelle – You know …. Orange gourd-like squash, in general, offend me. So, I wont be reading your post. 😉

Ricardo – He keeps forgetting that I posted that on You Tube. It kills me.

10. ines

October 17, 2008 at 8:09 am

OMG!!! I love you man!…..@mizzle ROCKS

11. Mariana Wagner

October 17, 2008 at 8:24 am

Ines – Do you like my self-portrait?

12. Chuck G

October 17, 2008 at 8:30 am

I agree with your list. Nothing kills a blog faster than beating another dead horse.

When I get writers block, I just take a walk through the neighborhood or downtown. It never fails that I’ll find something (hopefully interesting to the readers) to post about. That very thing happened just this week, and it saved my butt — because I had NOTHING to write about!!

13. Ines Hegedus-Garcia

October 17, 2008 at 9:23 am

Mariana…love the self portrait!! LOL

14. Todd Carpenter

October 17, 2008 at 3:04 pm

Bookmarked as the leading candidate for this year’s Humdinger Award. I’m in AWE.

15. Mariana Wagner

October 17, 2008 at 3:11 pm

Chuck – I rarely have writer’s block. My issue is ADD which tends to … oh, look! A butterfly!!

Ines – I knew you would.

Todd – Niiiice….

16. Lani Anglin-Rosales

October 17, 2008 at 4:34 pm

@mizzle- totally related: this is my laptop’s wallpaper (and my life motto). what do you think? 🙂

17. Mariana Wagner

October 17, 2008 at 4:51 pm

OMG… That should be MY laptop’s wall … oh look! a stringy!

18. Linsey

November 1, 2008 at 12:21 pm

I can’t tell you how refreshing I find your honesty:

‘I have read, and read, and read, and read about it and am STILL in the land of non-understanding regarding this.’

I was beginning to wonder if it was just me or is this thing really that tough to make sense of.

7 ways to carve out me time while working from home

(OPINION / EDITORIAL) It can be easy to forget about self-care when you’re working from home, but it’s critical for your mental health, and your work quality.

Woman in hijab sitting on couch, working from home on a laptop

We are all familiar with the syndrome, getting caught up in work, chores, and taking care of others, and neglecting to take care of ourselves in the meantime. This has always been the case, but now, with more people working from home and a seemingly endless lineup of chores, thanks to the pandemic. There is simply so much to do.

The line is thinly drawn between personal and professional time already, with emails, cell phones, and devices relentlessly reaching out around the clock, pulling at us like zombie arms reaching up from the grave. Working from home makes this tendency to always be “on” worse, as living and working take place in such close proximity. We have to turn it off, though.

Our brains and bodies need down time, me-time, self-care. Carving out this time is one of the kindest and most important things you can do for yourself. If we can begin to honor ourselves like this, the outcome with not only our mental and physical health, but also our productivity at work, will be beneficial. When we make the time to do things we love, our body untenses, our mind’s gears slow down that constant grinding. Burnout behooves nobody.

Our work will also benefit. Healthier, happier, more well rested, and well treated minds and bodies can work wonders! Our immune systems also need this, and we need our immune systems to be at their peak performance this intense season.

I wanted to write this article, because I have such a struggle with this in my own life. I need to print it out and put it in my workspace. Last week, I posted something on my social media pages that so many people shared. It is clear we all need these reminders, so I am paying it forward here. The graphic was a quote from Devyn W.

“If you are reading this, release your shoulders away from your ears, unclench your jaw, and drop your tongue from the roof of your mouth.”

There now, isn’t that remarkable? It is a great first step. Let go of the tension in your body, and check out these ways to make yourself some healing me-time.

1. Set aside strict no-work times. This could be any time of day, but set the times and adhere to them strictly. This may look like taking a full hour for lunch, not checking email after a certain hour, or committing to spending that time outdoors, reading, exercising, or enjoying the company of your loved ones. Make this a daily routine, because we need these boundaries. Every. Single. Day.
  2. Remember not to apologize to anyone for taking this me-time. Mentally and physically you need this, and everyone will be better off if you do. It is nothing to apologize for! Building these work-free hours into your daily schedule will feel more normal as time goes on. This giving of time and space to your joy, health, and even basic human needs is what should be the norm, not the other way around.
  3. Give yourself a device-free hour or two every day, especially before bedtime. The pinging, dinging, and blinging keeps us on edge. Restful sleep is one of the wonderful ways our bodies and brains heal, and putting devices away before bedtime is one of the quick tips for getting better sleep.
  4. Of course, make time for the things you absolutely love. If this is a hot bath, getting a massage, reading books, working out, cooking or eating an extravagant meal, or talking and laughing with a loved one, you have to find a way to get this serotonin boost!
  5. Use the sunshine shortcut. It isn’t a cure-all, but sunlight and Vitamin D are mood boosters. At least when it’s not 107 degrees, like in a Texas summer. But as a general rule, taking in at least a good 10-15 minutes of that sweet, sweet Vitamin D provided by the sun is good for us.
  6. Spend time with animals! Walk your dog, shake that feathery thing at your cat, or snuggle either one. Whatever animals make you smile, spend time with them. If you don’t have pets of your own, you could volunteer to walk them at a local shelter or even watch a cute animal video online. They are shown to reduce stress. Best case scenario is in person if you are able, but thankfully the internet is bursting with adorable animal videos, as a backup.
  7. Give in to a bit of planning or daydreaming about a big future trip. Spending time looking at all the places you will go in the future and even plotting out an itinerary are usually excellent mood-boosters. It’s a bit different in 2020, as most of us aren’t sure when we will be able to go, but even deciding where you want to go when we are free to travel again can put a positive spin on things.

I hope we can all improve our lives while working from home by making time for regenerating, healing, and having fun! Gotta run—the sun is out, and my dog is begging for a walk.

Why robots freak us out, and what it means for the future of AI

(OPINION / EDITORIAL) Robots and humans have a long way to go before the social divide disappears, but research is giving us insight on how to cross the uncanny valley.

Close of R2D2 toy, an example of robots that we root for, but why?

We hate robots. Ok, wait, back up. We at least think they are more evil than good. Try it yourself – “are robots” in Google nets you evil before good. Megatron has higher SEO than Optimus Prime, and it’s not just because he’s so much cooler. It cuz he evil, cuz. It do be like that.

It’s not even a compliment to call someone robotic; society connotes this to emotionless preprogrammed shells of hideous nothing, empty clankbags that walk and talk and not much else. So, me at a party. Or if you’re a nerd, you’re a robot. (Me at a party once again.)

Let’s start by assuming robots as human-like bipedal machines that are designed with some amount of artificial intelligence, generally designed to fulfill a job to free up humanity from drudgery. All sounds good so far. So why do they creep us out?

There’s a litany of reasons why, best summed up with the concept of the uncanny valley, first coined by roboticist Masahiro Mori (Wow he’s still alive! The robots have not yet won) in 1970. Essentially, we know what a human is and how it looks and behaves against the greater backdrop of life and physics. When this is translated to a synthetic being, we are ok with making a robot look and act like us to a point, where we then notice all the irregularities and differences.

Most of these are minor – unnaturally smooth or rigid movements, light not scattering properly on a surface, eyes that don’t sync up quite right when they blink, and several other tiny details. Lots of theories take over at this point about why this creeps us out. But a blanket way to think about it is that our expectation doesn’t match what we are seeing; the reality we’re presented with is off just enough and this makes us uncomfortable .

Ever stream a show and the audio is a half second off? Makes you really annoyed. Magnify that feeling by a thousand and you’re smack in the middle of the uncanny valley. It’s that unnerving. One possible term for this is abjection, which is what happens the moment before we begin to fear something. Our minds – sensing incompatibility with robots – know this is something else, something other , and faced with no way to categorize this, we crash.

This is why they make good villains in movies – something we don’t understand and given free will and autonomy, potentially imbued with the bias of a creator or capable of forming terrifying conclusions all on its own (humans are a virus). But they also make good heroes, especially if they are cute or funny. Who doesn’t love C3PO? That surprise that they are good delights us. Build in enough appeal to a robot, and we root for them and feel empathy when they are faced with hardships. Do robots dream of electric sheep? Do robots have binary souls? Bits and zeros and ones?

Professor Jaime Banks (Texas Tech University’s College of Media & Communication) spends a lot of time thinking about how we perceive robots. It’s a complex and multifaceted topic that covers anthropomorphism, artificial intelligence, robot roles within society, trust, inherently measuring virtue versus evil, preconceived notions from entertainment, and numerous topics that cover human-robot interactions.

The world is approaching a future where robots may become commonplace; there are already robot bears in Japan working in the healthcare field. Dressing them up with cute faces and smiles may help, but one jerky movement later and we’ve dropped all suspension.

At some point, we have to make peace with the idea that they will be all over the place. Skynet, GLaDOS in Portal, the trope of your evil twin being a robot that your significant will have to shoot in the middle of your fight, that episode of Futurama where everything was a robot and they rose up against their human masters with wargod washing machines and killer greeting cards, the other Futurama episode where they go to a planet full of human hating murderous robots… We’ve all got some good reasons to fear robots and their coded minds.

But as technology advances, it makes sense to have robots take over menial tasks, perform duties for the needy and sick, and otherwise benefit humanity at large. And so the question we face is how to build that relationship now to help us in the future.

There’s a fine line between making them too humanlike versus too mechanical. Pixar solved the issue of unnerving humanoids in their movies by designing them stylistically – we know they are human and accept that the figure would look odd in real life. We can do the same with robots – enough familiarity to develop an appeal, but not enough to erase the divide between humanity and robot. It may just be a question of time and new generations growing up with robots becoming fixtures of everyday life. I’m down for cyborgs too.

Fearing them might not even be bad, as Banks points out: “…a certain amount of fear can be a useful thing. Fear can make us think critically and carefully and be thoughtful about our interactions, and that would likely help us productively engage a world where robots are key players.”

Also, check out Robot Carnival if you get the chance – specifically the Presence episode of the anthology.

4 simple tips to ease friction with your boss while working remotely

(OPINION / EDITORIAL) Find it challenging to get along with your boss while working from home? Here are a few things you can try to ease the tension.

Woman stressed over laptop in remote work.

Most people probably feel like their relationship with their boss is fine. If you’re encountering friction with your boss for any reason, though, remote work will often exacerbate it—this is one instance where distance doesn’t necessarily make the heart grow fonder. Here are a few ways to remove some of that friction without adding to your boss’ overflowing plate.

According to CNN, determining the problem that exists between you and your boss should be your first step. There’s one caveat to consider, however: Your boss’ boundaries. Problem-solving on your own time is fine, but demanding more of your boss’ time—especially when you’re supposed to be working—may compound the issue.

An easy way around this is a low-impact communique—e.g., an email—sent at the beginning or end of the workday. Since that’s a more passive communication style that takes only a minute or two out of your day, it’s less likely to frustrate your boss further.

If ironing out the issue isn’t your prerogative for now, examining your boss’ parameters for success is another place to start. Does your boss prefer to receive multiple updates throughout the day, or do they want one summative report each morning? Do you respect your boss’ preferred communication styles? These are important questions to ask during remote work. If you find yourself reaching out more than necessary, for example, it may be time to cut back.

It can also be difficult to satiate your boss if you don’t know their expectations. If you’re able to speak to them about the expectations regarding a project or task, do it; clarifying the parameters around your work will always help both of you. It is worth noting that some supervisors may expect that you know your way around some types of responsibilities, though, so err on the side of complementing that knowledge rather than asking for comprehensive instructions.

Finally, keep in mind that some bosses simply don’t communicate the same way you do. I’ve personally been blessed with a bevy of nurturing, enthusiastic supervisors, but we’ve all had superiors who refuse to acknowledge our successes and instead focus on our failures. That can be a really tough mentality to work with during remote periods, but knowing that they have a specific communication style that hampers their sociability can help dampen the effects.

As always, communication is key—even if that means doing it a little bit less than you’d like.