The hedge funds “Man on the Inside” published his fearless forecast for 2008 (the “Sturdy 30”). Hedge funds may have gotten a bad rap from their role in the subprime collapse, but they’re still here and the people behind tham are still making some incredible predictions. From basketball, to politics, to business and much mure more here is “the man’s” complete list:
1. The Dow will go below 10,500 led by a collapse in consumer discretionary stocks.
2. The 10-year note yields below 3%.
3. The problems in the U.S. banking sector won’t be solved by a government-sponsored program. It will only shine more light on the problems.
4. The Fed’s continued panic-easing will only exacerbate our problems, as Bernanke’s creation of real negative interest rates takes hold, laying the groundwork for more problems.
5. Inflation will rear its ugly head, making the term “stagflation” in vogue again.
6. Most economists will capitulate and admit we are in a recession by March.
7. Obama-Clinton ticket for Dems.
8. McCain-Huckabee for Republicans.
9. The Dems will win a landslide receiving a popular vote not seen since Johnson’s victory against Goldwater.
10. EMs will recover violently by mid year after investors temporarily abandon the sector due to inflation fears.
11. Energy stocks will be flat for most of the year as investors debate the stagflation conundrum.
12. Giuliani will move into oblivion after he files for divorce once more.
13. Edwards is in Obama’s cabinet.
14. Housing in NYC will move down 20% as Wall Street bonuses collapse.
15. Hedge funds’ assets will move up to $3 trillion by the end of the third quarter.
16. ABL funds, alternative energy funds along with distressed credit will lead the charge in returns to investors, followed closely by emerging markets.
17. Oil prices will prove less volatile than 2007.
18. “There Will be Blood” and “No Country for Old Men” will sweep the Oscars.
19. Unemployment will hit 6% by the November election.
20. Morgan Stanley will be acquired by JP Morgan.
21. Bear Stearns will be acquired by Bank of America.
22. The Cleveland Indians will win the World Series beating the Los Angeles Dodgers in five games.
23. Roger Federer will win the Grand Slam.
24. Risk management will be the rallying cry for both hedge funds and investors.
25. Consolidation in the funds of funds world will be a focal point for investment bankers.
26. Duke, Memphis, UCLA and UNC will be in the Final Four.
27. George Bush will become an environmentalist.
28. Al Gore will star in another movie.
29. There will be a forced merger between AMBAC and MBIA
30. Long/Short equity will be the worst performer in the hedge fund space.
Care to comment? Keep in mind these guys last year said the subprime situation was “more illusory than real.” Only time will tell.
Funny video most real estate professionals can relate to
Have you ever had a buyer that was so enthusiastic about their potential home that they have a list a mile long of requirements? The front door must face east, the windows must be Pella brand, the carpet must be cut pile berber, it must be within two lots of a fire hydrant, needs to have wooden rods in the closet, not metal and of course the exterior paint must be barn red.
You already know what home they need and will love based on their actual needs and you’re going to show them that house, but in the meantime you may end up feeling a bit like the character in this video that is just so funny, we can all relate to (whether about a buyer or otherwise):
Can you relate? Maybe in a former career or if you’re one of our readers that is a designer first and foremost?
Funniest Realtor parody videos you’ll see all minute, guaranteed!
Who says the phenomenon of funny cat videos and stupid girl falling in a fountain while texting at the mall videos don’t spill over into the real estate world? We’ve highlighted three hilarious real estate videos below that are well worth the ten minutes to watch, even if you’re in the office and have to put headphones on.
Video 1: theagent.tv… the best part is at 2:29… MOVE!
Video 2: I Love You, Man… the best part is the whole clip. If you haven’t seen this horribly inappropriate movie, the lead character is a Realtor. He is awesome.
Video 3: Realtor loves his job. Or something… the best part is at 0:39. Is that the fireplace over there!?
Tell us in comments which video moment caught your eye!
A pig and a poke (The MLS “Menu”)
This week I actually got hungry reading the MLS and the LA Times real estate ads. Check out these bloopers so you can see what’s currently on the menu. I must warn you, you may want to hit the sauce and trim the fat:
I’m In the Mood For Food
“This hame is well stocked.” (Thank you, Porky Pig.)
“Hear is the glolden egg!” (…Which apparently comes scrambled.)
“Counter w/ new pop and fresh” ( Fat little dough boy included.)
“This one has alla the gravy” (Said Carmella Soprano as she proudly served her baked ziti.)
“You’ll marble when you see this beauty” (Bummer. At least Lot’s wife got to be a condiment.)
“We hamdle REOs” (That’s one way to bring home the bacon.)
Ham Fingers…So The Pork Lingers
“Small pad w/ view of peer” (Why go home when you can sleep at the office?)
“This is not a TIC” (…said Jeff Goldblum’s hands.)
“Cabinets w/ polished mental inserts” (Listing w/ punch drunk mental idiot.)
“This is a Short Shale” (Say that five times really fast.)
Is It Happy hour Yet?
“Just done finished floored” (Bottle done, finished agent on floor.)
“Cork floors in bar aria” (Methinks the cork was popped several drinks ago.)
“Stunning hammerred doors” (Offered by stumbling hammered dufus.)
“This condonimiun has all the trimmins” (Sauced agent has the tremorrrrs.)
SEX, LIES AND VIDEOTAPE – THE FINALE!
“Bask in the warm sin by the pool” (Yay – party at Charlie Sheen’s pad!)
Business Entrepreneur7 days ago
How to effectively share negative thoughts with your business partner
Business News2 weeks ago
The future of work from home will be a hybrid, says Google CEO
Business Entrepreneur2 weeks ago
The success of your business could be tied to your succession plan
Business Finance1 week ago
Did… the US government just agree to start funding a cryptocurrency?
Tech News2 weeks ago
Snapchat is among the first to leverage Apple’s new powerful AR tools
Tech News2 weeks ago
What is “Among Us”? The meme sensation two years in the making
Business News2 weeks ago
Cannabis retail trends not as high as you’d expect
Opinion Editorials1 week ago
Why soft skills are even more essential in online era