Augmented reality no longer a novelty
Augmented reality used to be a futuristic term, or was reserved for novelty uses as seen in Lego stores, wherein looking through a camera lens digitally adds a layer of interactivity to any scene. But as companies realize the short term possibilities of QR codes when compared to the long term possibilities of AR, and marketers see more cost effective means of using these tools, the pace of innovation is accelerating rapidly.
Whether it is Disney turning toys into interactive digital fun, Realtors offering apps to consumers that allow them to hold their phone up in a neighborhood and look through their smartphone camera to see prices hover above all homes, with listing information of available homes, or simply a mechanic helping to diagnose problems from afar, the uses are varied and creative.
Check out the roundup below of 20 resources to bring you up to speed on augmented reality (also referred to as AR).
Wait, what is augmented reality again?
Here is a 101 guide, and some tools to help you actually implement AR in your business:
- Augmented Reality 101: what is this junk?
- Metaio: create your own AR campaign in seconds
- You don’t need a big budget to get AR
Examples of augmented reality
From Google to Valpak, brands of all types are using augmented reality in their business, here are some hot examples:
- Augmented reality in your face: augmented identity
- Valpak gets an AR makeover, reinvents coupons
- Augmented reality apps for real estate
- Augmented realtiy for commercial real estate
- Google puts AR apps in your glasses
- Augmented reality train windows unveils future of AR
- AR app allows mechanics to diagnose from afar
- Bing Maps adds augmented reality
- Disney launches augmented reality toys
- Ikea adds AR to all catalogs
- Tagwhat combines social media and augmented reality
- Too early for ads in augmented reality platforms?
- Even BlackBerry envisions AR a part of their future
- Acrossair: 3D navigation of surrounding geo-data
The future of AR
Augmented reality is becoming more mainstream, and as such, futurists are making bold claims about the technology:
- AR to be on all smartphones within three years?
- Top five AR innovations of the future
- 8 futuristic devices reveal future of tech (AR included)