I hate writing things down.
Not because I don’t like the act of writing, I think you can all see that pretty clearly. But I admit, I have a bad tendency to write something down, leave it on my desk, and forget about it. Notes to myself, phones numbers, all sorts of things get lost in the shuffle. Not clients or their info or notes about them…those I covet and take care of, but the little notes to get some milk on the way home, to call my friend Jay, to clean my shoes (they need it bad). Those are the things I usually don’t even write down because I forget to go through with the plan. I use my Blackberry a lot for calendar notes, but never for “to do” items. My broker gets on my case constantly about goals and what mine are for the future. My reply is usually “I’m working on them.” I just hate to nail myself down on what I expect of myself in the near future. I’m one of those people that hates to fail and I’m only recently learning to cope with the fact that missing a goal doesn’t necessarily equate to failure.
So in the interest of the forthcoming New Year…
I’ve decided to not only write out my goals, but to make them public. Not only will this force me to make my decisions, but allow me to see what others think of my plan, help me adapt and adjust the plan, and even keep me accountable. I hope you all will keep me accountable and I can’t wait until next year to revisit this post and see how I did. So without further ado…
Ladies and gentlemen, please rise for the arrival of my goals.
- I want to lose some weight. I’ve found that being a Realtor® has been bad for the waste line. There’s too many snacks, fast meals, and free food on hand. I have never been much of an exercise guy I admit, but this year, I will try and focus a bit more on it. I have actually joined two other agents in my office in our quest to lose a bit. Friday mornings are weigh-in day.
- I want to close a minimum of 20 transactions next year. I really want to close 30, but I’m trying to keep my goals to a manageable level for now. I would be more than happy to close many more. This goal is not a stopping point, but rather my aiming point.
- I want to complete and expand my website. Its been slow going and I’m terribly frustrated with that fact. I have an ambitious plan for my website’s growth and I’m trying to get it to the point where its growth is what I’m working on, not just the basic building blocks.
- I want to learn more about SEO and learn to write better blog posts, but still within my own style. I don’t want to write just for SEO, but I realize its important and want to work on using it to my advantage a bit more.
- I’m hoping that I’ll get to take a vacation with my wife this year. If I can close 25 transactions, I will be comfortable doing so. We haven’t had one in awhile and she deserves one. She works hard and puts up with me (and that’s not easy!).
- In reaching my transactional goals, I will work to pay down debt that I have incurred over the years. I entered real estate with the goal of a career and a good strong career will allow me to do that.
- I want to continue to refine these goals. So please ask me questions as the months go by.
Your opinion counts.
Remember, I have never written goals. Many of you probably have. Some of you have been around longer that I have been an adult. So I encourage you, no, beg you to help me refine and perfect these goals. Many of you may not realize it, but through this site, you have helped shape me and mold me. I have put in my opinions and thoughts along the way, but many of my core values and decisions in real estate have come through the conversations in these very pages. Now its time to shape some more.