If you’ve never been to BASHH or you find yourself overwhelmed with the size of the crowd or you just don’t know what to do whilst at BASHH, some people have put a lot of thought into it:
- Statesman Tech Culture reporter, Omar Gallaga wrote “10 simple rules for Tweeting Up” which is what BASHH used to be. The rules from 2009 are mostly still applicable in 2011!
- Although not written about BASHH directly, the “Geek’s guide to being interesting” is helpful to the shy and geeky.
We’d like to add our own list:
- Remember: you’re in a room of 70% people nervous to be in a crowd but come to BASHH as their monthly outlet, 20% of people who are okay with happy hours but worry what others think and 10% extroverts who make it look so easy. You’ll fit in!
- It’s a laid back environment- don’t come out trying to pimp your wares because in this group, friendships come first. Lots of business has come from time together over beer at BASHH and the group doesn’t adjust well to people who are smarmy.
- Bring a friend even if they’ve never heard of BASHH. It’s a great ice breaker and you have someone to have inside jokes with about your fun night!
- Put your Twitter name on your nametag if you’ve got one.
- Let your hair down. That’s the point.
There are a lot of other pointers BASHH attendees can give (and we encourage them to be added in comments below)!