In the spirit of fellow AG columnist Fred Glick, this will be a short one.
It seems from my last post (and I may be wrong) that there are a lot of people who think that the best type of Government is No Government at all or one so limited as to be close to No Government.
So, class, this week’s assignment is to think about what No Government looks like (footnotes, bibliography and index are optional).
To all the folks out there shouting for the Government to stay out of the way and get off our backs, I ask:
- take care of those born with profound physical or mental challenges
- care for the aged
- care for those involved in catastrophic accidents
- those maimed by war or crime
- have police and fire fighters
- trash collection and snow removal
- public hospitals for the very poor
What happens with:
- roads and bridges
- schools and libraries
Does the check out clerk at Wal-Mart or the barista at Starbucks negotiate wages for themselves without regard for a “minimum wage”?
In short, what does a society look like when all the Government does is maintain a standing army to defend itself against direct attack? What does every man for himself look like?