So you’ve blown your wad at the latest hipster Realtor technology and social media conference and are feeling rather under or overwhelmed – we get that, it’s pretty tough to keep up with the conference kids. You’re a Realtor, you sell homes, and you know that tech savvy and being a geek isn’t a business model that appeals to a majority- good, you’re half way there. Either you are or you aren’t a geek, just like you are or are not cool. Seriously, mom and dad, you know better.
Now that you’ve realized the obvious, I want to give you a few tips to get you thinking about how you utilize these tools. Being present isn’t enough, nor is engaging, nor is passively listening to the crowd. You’ve done these things to build your mini-network already, and hopefully it’s local and not just Realtors in every city but your own.
It’s time to begin looking at social media in ways that actually impress your clients or potential clients. Seriously, it’s cool that you have 20k followers on Twitter, but of that network, what percentage of that 20k can you actually convert? And of that percentage, how will you bring them to bear on a hot to market property or pocket listing? How will you create buzz around a set of listings or get potential buyers to an open?
Surely, you’re not thinking that all of the buzz you’re creating around someone else’s brand is truly a value to your clients or customers, right? It isn’t. And I assure you, on day 45 of a property listing sitting on the market, your “timeline” begins to work against you in the eyes of a frustrated seller who’s asking what in the hell you’ve done above and beyond to SELL the listing, much less remain the exclusive listing agent, am I right? We’ve all been there.
It’s time to cool the buzz on being tech savvy and get real with the incredibly powerful tools that have been given to you. Clean your lists to fruitful and meaningful connections, dump the hype and spin, and focus in on a real marketing plan behind your efforts.
- Personally (privately) invite local TOP Realtors to a private pre-list showing before going market from Twitter and Facebook.
- Directly and personally invite “select” buyers regardless of pricing to the same private showing (get feedback).
- Share with your sphere your hot HOT listing that needs to move and drop a link to your blog post about it.
- Put a little feeling into your listings by not using automated blog tools, put your listing in the best light
- Be a little more competitive in your market, less kumbaya and a little more taking your business seriously
- Never be to busy to “check in” on the job. You don’t need Gowalla to announce a kick ass neighborhood.
- TwitPic a surprisingly gorgeous home you’re touring while touring, share it, and shout out to the listing agent.
- Know less about technology and more about using technology to sell the house and get it closed.
- Roll your eyes more and get the hell away from your competitors, they’ll only encourage your worst.
- Become more of a miner on Facebook and less of a farmer. Laser focus targeted ads with great messaging.
- BONUS: Talk less about social media, and focus more on maximizing your time doing business.