When one shows up
We’ve all lived the reality of being self-employed, no boss, no pressure, no alarm clock, and no pay check at the end of the month. You forgot that when you’re the boss, you determine the amount of the paycheck. Russell Shaw, and Jeff Brown, both (highly) successful in their fields have written over the past few weeks about diving in, focusing, throwing out the fluff and making it happen. They reminded us through this medium we call blogging that we are in control, that our check is as big as we wish it to be. Having such valuable mentoringin the blogiverse has real meaning, it has depth, and ultimately, I am certain that it has a positive effect on them- it galvanizes them.
Why they do it
Giving positive direction to (in some cases) struggling agents is uplifting, it strengthens their own resolve, it reminds them of the things they’ve learned as veterans. They’re reminded by speaking to you, that they were in fact where you are right now, in the trenches delivering the absolute best you possibly can with little encouragement in what was back then new and tougher times, and they’re still here sharing today- They know what the value of invisible really is.
You are the value added
Today’s world is so much more connected than it was then in that they can sit at the computer and deliver powerful messages, and what’s more, those that have not yet achieved that superstar status in the trenches can also reach out to the masses and share, affirm and identify with very much the same challenges of a changing world. Offering new ideas and new concepts through this wonderful platform called a blog, we noobs can give our side on elevating not only others, but even ourselves, and our consumer. We strengthen our own resolve by telling success stories, offering tips and advice to others (even if they disagree) on the off chance that someone comes along and builds on a new and novel concept.
But what if the Greats like Russell and Jeff decided they just didn’t have time for anything else but themselves? Sure, we would all survive, but I would surely miss those battle scar stories, and those fatherly reminders to get off my ass and do something– but the value of what they know would amount to the unknown.
When you share we all gain- even you
It is a great responsibility and challenge to show up and share something you know. Whether you’re Russell Shaw, or Mariana Wagner. It is hard work to make time for others, but I believe we do this more for ourselves– not for the money (because I’m not making any on writing this post), but more to remind myself of my own battle scars that galvanize even my own successes, and I suppose to remind you also of how important you are to me in this conversation.
What’s in blogging for me?
Vicki Moore reminded me today not to forget about relationships and even taught me a great way to make them stronger; Mariana taught me yesterday that handing someone value on a doorstep was only the first step and then gave me a blueprint to get me started, Danilo reminded me that I should embrace the educated consumer as a gift and not be afraid- and countless others. And of course Russell and Jeff continue to remind me through their actions that I also have an obligation to share what I know.
What is the value of invisible?
So, I humbly submit to you that the value of invisible is zero. Whether it’s not showing up to the office to fill that pipeline, or sharing yourself in a blog to consumers, with your peers or even commenting and sharing reactions – it is all important, it all matters, even to your own morale.
I guess the bottom line is
I don’t know everything, but one thing I am learning is that showing up really is 99% of the battle, but it is that tiny 1% that makes the other 99% possible.