Conference Coverage

Quick Thoughts on Reputation and Mindshift

LuMaxArt FS Collection Orange0012 by lumaxart.

Image Credit

Look: I said some things that are apparently going to haunt me, and the only picture I took was of a couple of Teletubbies at the restaurant, but it wouldn’t have been Vegas if things weren’t at least a little bizarre.  I’ve been flipping through my notes from BlogWorld, both the Real Estate and the Regular variety.  There were 3 things that have floated to the top of my mind.

You Are What the Web Says You’ve Done

First was a session about taking risks with your online reputation: Google is forever, and if you don’t make an effort to craft your own reputation online, someone else will do it for you – you are not just what you publish, you’re what the web says you’ve done.  Which is a scary thought to me.  I’ve spent a lot of time and energy building Housechick.  Feasibly, it’s a saleable brand, an exit strategy when I decide I’ve had all the fun there is to be had from selling real estate.  If I’m not actively managing my brand – which would mean that I’ve first clearly defined it – then my whole brand’s reputation is dependent on what everyone else puts online, good and bad, consistent or not.

Think Different

Second was a gem from David Bullock, who said:

The only way you can do something different is to think something different.

I liked that so much, I put a star by it on my notes page.  Also, he had an example of a relatively low traffic, but highly targeted site he built with an insanely low bounce rate – I want to say in the single digits, but I didn’t note the exact figure.  Low traffic, high retention, high conversion – anyone sensing a theme with so many RE bloggers touting niche sites as well?

My Apologies

And lastly, but not leastly: I apologize to those in attendance the first day.  It may be my fault that Jeff Turner yelled at us all for not using more offline methods to garner more referral and repeat business (although calling us Freaks for being techno-proficient while wearing a t-shirt that says #FFFFFF is a bit of the pot calling the kettle black).  I think I saw a small portion of his brain explode the previous day when I may have mentioned, in an offhand manner, that I don’t really do past-client follow-up.  Admittedly, I am quite cognizant that this is not my forte, and being told that I *ought* to do more of it isn’t exactly breaking news.  So now the challenge is to find some method of staying in touch with past clients – at least with the ones I liked – that is neither trite nor boring, and preferably doesn’t involve a telephone.  Unless we’re talking text messages.  I’m going to have to let that idea percolate for a while.

Kelley Koehler, aka the Housechick, is usually found focused on her Tucson, Arizona, real estate business. You may also find her on Twitter, where she doubles as a super hero, at Social Media Training Camp, where she trains and coaches people on how to integrate social media into successful business practices, or at KelleyKoehler.com, a collection of all things housechick-ish. Despite her engineering background, Kelley enjoys translating complex technical concepts into understandable and clear ideas that are practical and useful to the striving real estate agent.

September 24, 2008 at 5:55 pm

Kelly, following up past clients doesn’t have to be a drag. I simple email “thinking of you today,when I drove in your sub”. or…. a quick note, flowers in the fall. They are so appreciative. Glad you had fun, sorry I missed it.

2. Daniel Bates

September 24, 2008 at 6:14 pm

I wonder what percent of the real estate community (not your readers, but the whole community) even gets that #FFFFFF joke? Even though you may not keep up with past clients, you’d be surprised at how many keep up with your through your blog. I know many of mine have subscribed to my blog feed.

3. Paula Henry

September 24, 2008 at 8:33 pm

Kelly –

I always kick myself when I miss an opportunity to reach out to a past client, then run out the door for a new client. Doesn’t make much sense.

What is the #FFFFFF joke? I’m one who doesn’t get it 🙂

4. ines

September 24, 2008 at 8:39 pm

I peed my pants a little – thank you!

5. Kris Berg

September 24, 2008 at 8:48 pm

#FFFFFF is my favorite color these days, although #000000 seems more appropriate after hearing the President’s speach. (@USPres, not @ResPres).

And, Kelley, we should start a “We Suck At Following Up With Past Clients Anonymous” club thingy. I am right there with you. It is the demon with which I constantly battle. I have an inherently anti-social tendency, which is not terrible helpful in my real estate career.

Sorry I missed the LV fun. I hear you rocked the house.

6. Kris Berg

September 24, 2008 at 8:50 pm

I think I misspelled speech. Sending myself to the corner.

7. Paula Henry

September 24, 2008 at 8:51 pm

Now I got it! A little slow here 🙂

8. Kim Wood

September 24, 2008 at 9:33 pm

FYI, #FFFFFF when applied to Jeff’s shirt is Foxy, Fabulous, Fantastic, Friend, Favorable Fella !!!

And I love it when clients say, “Kim? Do you text message?” SCORE!

9. Thomas Johnson

September 24, 2008 at 9:41 pm

Kelly- Isn’t there a vendor for drip tweets (drip twits?) for client follow up?

10. Jay Thompson

September 24, 2008 at 11:48 pm

For past client follow up, I send a short (for me) personal email on the anniversary of their closing, and an irregularly snail mailed “newsletter” about once/quarter.” That’s it. I know the “experts” say that’s not often enough, but it seems to work. Drip email gets poo-poo’ed by many, but done properly, it can be *very* effective for past client follow up.

I *love* Bullock’s quote.

I’m partial to #0000FF

11. Lisa Sanderson

September 25, 2008 at 5:00 am

Kelley: Thanks for the nuggets. I wanted to tell you that I love your open-book, no BS attitude, and I imagine your clients do too.

Kris: Please let me know when the first meeting of WSFUPC Anonymous is scheduled. I have a ‘friend’ that needs to go.

12. Heather Elias

September 25, 2008 at 7:18 am

“calling us Freaks for being techno-proficient while wearing a t-shirt that says #FFFFFF is a bit of the pot calling the kettle black”

Heehee… indeed!

I wasn’t there for the “think something different” quote, but I love it. That’s a great jumping off point. Hmm. My head is so full of great ideas from the conference, and you put a few in there, yourself, Chick~~ thank you!

13. Kelley Koehler

September 25, 2008 at 8:41 am

Thomas – not sure about the drip tweets, but Twitter’s not my favorite broadcast mechanism at this time. For business, anyway.

Paula – it’s a bad web developer joke, a color code.

Kris – you have anti-social tendencies? I knew I liked you. Will you be my friend? We can be anti-social together. Or not. Whichever.

Everyone else – thanks for the encouragement and comments. I took a lot of flack offline for being honest about my paying for placement and my failure and lack of desire to stay in touch with past clients, and not all of it was friendly ribbing. I appreciate the understanding that we’re all just trying to do our best out there, according to our values and goals, and for not attacking me for being honest!

14. Jay Thompson

September 25, 2008 at 9:57 am

“I took a lot of flack offline for being honest…”

Wow. How sad. PPC is a viable solution and how or whether you follow up is your decision.

There are no absolutes in this business. Whether you choose to use PPC, SEO or no web presence at all, whose business is it to give flack to someone for their choice?

I’d seriously question the integrity and ethics of someone who attacks honesty. I don’t know who they were, and I don’t think I want to know. That’s simply pathetic.

15. Steve Simon

September 26, 2008 at 6:48 am

#003366 & #FF6600 !
    Go Gators 🙂

Conference Coverage

Techie’s guide to NAR’s mid-year meetings

Are you coming to NAR’s Mid Year Meetings in Washington DC on May 11-13? If so, here’s a quick and dirty guide to what to check out and where to grab a cocktail. If you are going to be at the meetings please be sure and let me know, in the comments or DM me @nartech. I’d love to meet the Agent Genius crowd IRL.

Follow Along at MidYear Live

Even if you aren’t going to be in DC you can still follow the action at Mid Year Live.

Midyear Live brings all the news and conversation about the Midyear Legislative Meetings & Trade Expo direct to you. Visit Midyear Live between May 11-14 to check out Twitter and Facebook coverage, follow featured NAR members as they attend the event, and view news reports and recorded sessions.

From the Center for Real Estate Technology—Throughout the meetings…

Starting Tuesday, May 11, CRT is sponsoring the Wi-Fi area in the Marriott Wardman Park in the Maryland Foyer.  It will be available 24 hrs a day thru Saturday 2pm.
The Bloggers’ Lounge opens at the Omni in the Forum Room, Tues – Thurs 10am – 6pm and Friday from 10am – 4pm.

Wednesday May 12:  Business Issues Committee 10:00 AM-Noon, Marriott Wardman, Salon 3

This is where technology policy issues are discussed. If you have an interest in issues like data security and privacy, net neutrality and other tech policy issues, come and observe the Business Issues Committee and say hello. I am one of the staff executives for this committee.

Wednesday May 12: Tweetup 5:00-7:00 PM Marriot Wardman Park Lobby

To RSVP and more info.

Wednesday May 12 Raise the Roof Event 5:00PM-8:00PM Tabaq Bistro, 1336 U Street

Cocktails and Hors D’Oeuvres on trendy U Street. RSVP to erin@listhub.com with your full name and company by May 3.

Thursday May 13: Business Technology Peer Breakout Sessions 8:00AM-11:00 AM, Omni Shoram Ambassador Room

Garron Selliken, Todd Carpenter, Heather Elias, Keith Garner, Tina Merritt, Jeff Allen, Kelley Koehler, Dale Chumbley, Nobu Hata, Greg Carpenter, among others will be on hand to discuss tech topics that all real estate professionals should know about.  Twitter, Facebook, Yelp, Market Stats, Converting web leads to clients, mobile apps, and other business tools will be discussed during these informal conversations.

Thursday May 13: Business Technology Forum 3:00PM-5:00PM, Omni Shoram Empire Room

Hear what industry thought leaders have to share about today’s and upcoming tech trends.
Jeff Allen, Heather Elias, Garron Selliken, and Aaron Wheeler share their experience & insights on how technology is impacting their day-to-day business.  Audience questions are welcome.

Friday May 14: LinkedIn Breakfast 8:30 AM – 10:00 AM, Omni Shoram, Bloggers Lounge

Join Todd Carpenter and other NAR LinkedIn members for coffee and danish. For more info

If you know of something I missed, please let me know in the comments. Hope to see you in DC!

Conference Coverage

National Association of REALTORS Convention 2014

It’s Novermber 2014…

nar chicago…and we are all excited about the NAR convention this year.

I can’t wait to go through Finance World where we find the latest on nano-mortgage technology from Bank of United States (the company after the B of A/Citibank/ J P Morgan Chase merger) where an iris scan and fingerprints get done and the each borrower with less than 20% down get to do the new PMI, Person Mortgage Insurance, where they assign one of their friends or relatives as collateral until the loan gets paid down to 78%.

Ah, then the new key sharing device from GeBallMart (the merger result of GE, Major League Baseball and Wal-Mart) which makes your take the SATs again (paying the 475 Euro fee) in order to do a digital iPhone7.9 puzzle in order to be escorted into a property from a member of Blackwater Realty Security Services (a subsidiary of the CIA- a deal made in order to get people health care).

Ah, and the special speakers.  There’s inspiration on how to turn your life around when there are only 11 trashy women in your life that you sleep with.  Amazing how you can go from one sport to another and then to another and go from the lowest lows to the highest highers.  Yes, I am talking about Professional Bowling’s superstar, Tiger “Balls” Woods.

I can’t wait to hear was he has to say about life’s ups and downs now that my fellow agents and I have had the commissions we make revealed to the buyer before they even see a house and how the government maximized the maximum amounts to $500 for door opening/agreement and $1000 for door opening/agreement and settlement attendance.

Just like the mortgage brokers that got messed with in 09/10, we should have seen it coming but instead we lived high on the hog and laughed at the public and especially Congress.

But I can be thankful for the fact that I don’t have to fly on UseLess Airline and stay at the MarryRot in the beige rooms with the bed bugs that are the size of New York rats, I can stay home and see all that’s happening on my SuperMac 7 Apple computer with smellovision, video and scan-pay ability.

The best and the worst part is no real hangovers!

Conference Coverage

Inman’s Got Enough Money. Let’s Give Some To MFFO

It doesn’t get any better than this – you can actually get Inman Connect Tickets and help a charity at the same time!  I was the lucky winner of Inman Real Estate Connect Registration Passes and with the creative help of some friends (thanks @tcar and @andykaufman) decided to auction them for charity.

Inman Connect San Francisco
I’m sure @jbern had no clue what was going to happen when he started the competition: What’s Your Tweet Worth? ….between Jay Thomson’s raffle and this auction, there are some creative minds at work to help our colleagues as well as great charities.

So here’s what I would love for you to do –

1.  go place a bid

2   spread the word  **tweet it! facebook it! email it! **

3. check on the bid

4.  spread the word again **tweet it! facebook it! email it! **

The highest bidder will win full registration to Inman Connect San Francisco (both Inman Connect and Blogger’s Connect passes) and proceeds will go to Mothers Fighting For Others (that’s a $939 value).  What are you waiting for??? Go Bid!  We will be announcing the winner before the weekend.

**thanks for the tix Inman!!  Let’s see how much money we can raise**