Business Marketing

A Day of In the Life of a Hollywood Real Estate Agent

A Day in the Life of A Hollywood Real Estate Agent – From Sharks to Shrapnel

Hollywood_signSpeak Quietly – I’m Nursing a Colossal Headache.

After a reader read my rant last week, “R U Networking or NOTworking,” he sagely challenged me to try a day of face-to-face marketing. (For those of you who cannot recall what that is, it involves getting out of your chair.) Moron that I am, I accepted his challenge and headed out onto the mean streets of Los Angeles to solicit clients. This is the bizarre story I barely lived to tell:

8:00 am: I pop out of bed. (That’s early for us showbiz types.) After donning my fake designer duds I head out the door of my Hansel-and-Gretel-size overpriced house, jump into my leased Mercedes, wave to my stoned neighbor, try to back over a slow-moving kid (hey – this is L.A., not Iowa – speed or bleed!), and serpentine down Laurel Canyon with throngs of other Los Angelinos who feel that driving should never distract them from texting. Twenty minutes later, I finally arrive at Rite-Aid Drugs, which is practically walking distance to my house.

9:30 am: I run into Rite-Aid to grab a few of the props I will need for marketing: 1. Red Bull. (I do not drink caffeine because my synapses are already challenged, but I must have it visible in my car in order to look cool.) 2. Gourmet dog cookies and 3. Pepper Spray, which the somnolent salesclerk insists they don’t sell. When I tell her I am about to embark on direct marketing and ask if the store sells firearms, she threatens to call the manager. I slip out the door before the manager/actor/bartender/waiter can find me and assault me with a head shot.

Let The Games Begin!

9:45 am: Outside the store a group of people have congregated. With utmost confidence, I approach the group and hand out my business cards, offering to price their homes or answer any questions they may have, as though I am the Oracle of Re-fi. One guy asks me if I will marry him and have his demon spawn, and another turns his back on me and pees on a nearby newspaper stand.  (Apparently my pitch needs polishing.) After an old lady with a shopping cart full of broken dolls offers me a toke off her joint, I conclude that this is not my target audience and move on, making a mental note to purchase a bean bag gun.

10:00 am: I walk next door to the Griddle, a popular Hollywood hang for the industry folks. (Yes I would have driven the 50 yards to live up to the stereotype, but in this town, a parking spot is harder to get than a great review.) I chat it up with a friendly crowd who are all waiting for tables. Clever person that I am, I offer their dogs cookies whenever a furry head pops out of a gazillion dollar purse. Eventually I come out of the closet and announce that I can satisfy all their real estate needs 24-7.  That’s right, my new BFFs, I am a virtual CNN of Real Estate!

All of a sudden, the group collectively breaks into riotous laughter. A  few actually bend over, grasp their sides and guffaw. Noticing my baffled expression, someone in the crowd finally wheezes, “We’re writers and actors – mostly unemployed. We can’t afford s__t!”

“But your expensive dogs…and your Tag Heuer watches…,” I weakly protest.

“We’re dog walkers, lady, and the watches are swag from luxury parties where we host or tend bar…”

“But, but…the Prada bags…”

“Gorgeous, huh?” one coiffed guy squeals, “Isn’t mine divine? I may be unemployed, but I look HOT. Image is everything,” he intones, as though it’s a moral imperative.

Feeling a bit defeated, I slink away with my Ebay bag and my unwanted business cards, still determined to find my audience.

Fools Rush In

10:30 am: The HUB (Hollywood Unemployment Brigade) continues to laugh as I crawl into my car, which is now covered in crow crapple, and drive away. I pop a can of Red Bull and chug the evil beverage as I drive past them, just to let them know I’m hipper than I seem.

I make my way to the Santa Monica Freeway and head for a Chamber of Commerce Luncheon, confident that I will find my target group. While speeding along the freeway at a neck breaking 10 miles an hour, I manage to get two dates, one donut tossed through my window, and a Lane Four Nap.

12:00 pm: I arrive at the Sheraton refreshed and ready to hustle. By now my lips are stuck to my teeth as a result of a 7.5 Richter Scale Red Bull rush, and several people are moving back from me to keep a safe distance. I am sure I hear someone call me, “Sybil,” as I inadvertently do my impersonation of Jim Carrey in The Mask. With one perfectly manicured thumbnail,  I manage to peel my lips off my teeth and forge on.

After a quick meet and greet, we all sit down to a “healthy” luncheon that actually scares me… I’m told that the red mass on my plate is a beet, tofu and egg white quiche, but I am convinced the chef accidentally severed an appendage and bled into the egg whites. After biting down into what has to be a finger, I push aside my swill and get down to business.

How to Close a Deal With Minimal Blood Shed

I am proud as I press hands and put a personal face on my business plan, as opposed to social networking from my reclusive inner sanctum. I am amazed at the flurry of cards being tossed into the center of the table like chips in a high stakes poker game. There are cards with color, embossing, gold edging, photos, corners burned with a match for effect (seriously), and even one with a pop-up cake. (Mine is a simple little tri-fold, four color number with a hologram of me holding a sign that says I’ll Hustle My Bustle For Your Biz. If you press the bubble next to my sparkling teeth, the card plays Hooray for Hollywood! You may have noticed that I am never subtle.)

The girl across the table reads my card and suddenly stiffens. Her eyeballs dilate as her body screams, “OMG – ANOTHER AGENT!” Several more bodies at the table stiffen in rapid succession. Only one man, a judge, seems unfazed. All eyes turn to the hapless judge in hunger. He clutches his heart, shrinks in his chair, and prepares for the assault. I know it’s going to be a pissing contest that no one will win. A scarred veteran of Agent Wrestling, I forfeit the game. As I prepare to leave, Short Sale Sally, who is sitting next to me, shoves me aside and practically squeals at the thought of one less jackal on the judge’s carcass.

“Here, you can have my quiche,” I say as I leave, “And I am giving you the finger, too.”

Mea Culpa, I Havta Gulpa

4:33 pm: After another road trip home that is so long it practically requires an airdrop food mission, I drag my sorry self through the door. There, in peaceful Laurel Canyon, I kick off my shoes, change into my refugee clothing, and fire up my computer to wait for my social networking friends to check in. Gleefully, I talk to a thousand people via Twitter, Facebook and Agent Genius, and no one threatens to pee on my leg.

Slowly, carefully, I eat most of my words about the evils of social networking and admit to my war torn self that I simply must find a happy medium between FTF and KTK before I am KIA.

6:42 pm: My fingers mechanically type the following phrase: Mea Culpa, Ima Dopa.

I wear several hats: My mink fedora real estate hat belongs to Sotheby’s International Realty on the world famous Sunset Strip. I’M not world famous, but I've garnered a few Top Producer credits along the way. I also wear a coonskin writer's cap with an arrow through it, having written a few novels and screenplays and scored a few awards there, too. (The arrow was from a tasteless critic.) My sequined turban is my thespian hat for my roles on stage, and in film and television, Dahling. You can check me out in all my infamy at LinkedIn, LAhomesite.com, SherlockOfHomes, IMDB or you can shoot arrows at my head via email. I can take it.

1. Fred Romano

August 21, 2009 at 10:09 am

LMFAO! This is the MOST entertaining story on AG… I was mezmorized reading it, didn’t want it to end, and laughed the entire time. Wowi you can really write, maybe you’re in the wrong business.

2. Brandie Young

August 21, 2009 at 10:58 am

Gwen
    You never fail to crack me up! If you are even slightly as charming in person as you are here, you must have people flocking to you. Perhaps the next challenge should be targeting … (not as in practice – as a fellow Californian I would never suggest such a thing)

3. Ken Brand

August 21, 2009 at 3:14 pm

WOW! If I move to Hollywood can I be your assistant gofer. Sounds like you have more fun than anyone I know and I want in, even if I have to start at the sub-basement level.

You RULE!

Cheers.

PS. What’s a Red Bull?

4. Gwen Banta

August 21, 2009 at 4:06 pm

Thank you, Fred…but if I were not in Real Estate, from where would I get all my material? Besides, this wacko business keeps me on the crazy train 🙂

5. Gwen Banta

August 21, 2009 at 4:08 pm

Yes, Brandie – I need remedial work in targeting. But if I hit a bullseye, I wouldn’t meet all the bizarre characters I meet daily. Oh wait a minute – I live in Los Angeles – of course I would!

6. Gwen Banta

August 21, 2009 at 4:24 pm

I’ll be waiting for you, Ken. Our first task will simply be for entertainment: The Death Tour – all the famous spots known for macabre events. This could take days. We can spend an hour on my street alone – famous for the Wonderland murders, Jim Morrison hijinks and Rocker lore. (Attention Matt Stigliano!)

Then we visit the cemetaries – lots of characters just hanging around taking photos of graves. (I’m sure these characters will also want to take my death Tour.) The Real Estate Sales opportunities there are limited to smaller “vault-size” properties.

Then we hit Beverly Hills. Alas, we cannot solicit business there because I cannot count in numbers that high without my abacus.

Then we’ll hit the beaches. No business there unless you’re good at rolling joints. So we can just relax and suck up the breathtaking beauty of California.

Oh yes – that’s why we’re all here…

PS Red Bull is a drink with a Mule-size caffeine kick. I’m told it’s tasty, but if I even touch the label, I’ll be awake for days.

7. Matt Stigliano

August 21, 2009 at 6:36 pm

Gwen – The post was great and you always makes me feel like I’m back there again. But, the best part of this whole post is in your comments and maybe not funny to most, but to a former resident of Sherman Oaks right off of Ventura – I can relate:

When I went looking for houses I could never figure out how to say an address – do I really call it 1 million 250 thousand seventeen? Or am I supposed to just read the numbers one by one: one-two-five-oh-oh-one-seven? Still have trouble with anything over the thousands.

8. Matt Stigliano

August 21, 2009 at 6:37 pm

PS Red Bull also contains Taurine. Next time you’re in the pet food section look at any cat food that is meant for weight loss/balance. Guess what’s a main ingredient? Yep.

9. Gwen Banta

August 21, 2009 at 9:30 pm

Matt, I feel so much better knowing I am not the only person with Zero Dysfunction. I drop zeros constantly because my brain counts zeros instead of seeing the number as a whole. Well, for that reason… and maybe also because I have three martinis every morning for breakfast. 🙂

10. Gwen Banta

August 21, 2009 at 9:41 pm

Hmmmm…taurine in Red Bull…that certainly can’t help the problem we have with freeway freak-outs. A doctor told my musician client to lay off the stuff because it was stressing his heart more than his rocker lifestyle does. If it also causes weight loss, then that helps explain the popularity. We certainly can’t have any women running around this town that are big enough to create a shadow. If a starlet hits 100 lbs we perform social and professional euthansia.

11. Irina Netchaev

August 21, 2009 at 10:56 pm

Absolutely hillarious! You made my evening!!!

Thank you!

• Nashville Grant

March 1, 2010 at 7:17 pm

I second that opinion and am impressed, I’ve never seen an IMDB link in any real estate agent’s social profile before. Makes me want to buy a house from you despite my relative poorness by Cali standards. Plus, I’d get shot for driving a big Hummer out there.

12. Gwen Banta

August 21, 2009 at 11:19 pm

Thank you, Irina – have a wonderful weekend, and enjoy the laughter!

13. Mariana

August 22, 2009 at 7:39 pm

BY FAR … the most ENTERTAINING real estate post I have EVER EVER read. I think I love you…

14. Mike Price

August 22, 2009 at 8:23 pm

“…and I’m giving you the finger too” ROTFLMAO.

15. Paula Henry

August 22, 2009 at 8:45 pm

Gwen – You are my absolute favorite writer; I look forward to your world renowned movie, based on your life in real estate.

Obviously, you would be the star!

16. Gwen Banta

August 22, 2009 at 9:05 pm

I think I love you back, Mariana.

17. Gwen Banta

August 22, 2009 at 9:11 pm

Mike, I’m glad you caught that that little play on words. As a reward for your sharp mind, I’ll send you the finger and you can pass it on to anyone who annoys you. We can start a Finger Chain. The last recipient can send it back to me via courier pidgeon.Then we’ll start another chain for annoying folks – this time we’ll them give them the bird. 🙂

18. Gwen Banta

August 22, 2009 at 9:16 pm

Thank you, Paula. Quentin Tarantino would have to direct. I’ll probably be cast as one of the weirdest characters in the film. You can be my sidekick – the one who posts my bail and retrieves me from the asylum on weekends. Of course, as co-producers (always demand a credit), I suggest we set up a casting couch for really cute men…

19. Paula Henry

August 22, 2009 at 9:19 pm

Oh the plans we could make for your free weekends. 🙂 Don’t mind her, she’s on a weekend pass.

20. Sharon deLisser

August 23, 2009 at 12:46 am

OMG you are delightful! I loved the article, didn’t want it to end. Hope to hear more from you soon.

21. Joe Loomer

August 23, 2009 at 9:36 am

Mike beat me to the finger comment – simply amazing. You rock Gwen. I find myself chuckling through the week after you kickin’ posts – the kind of chuckling to yourself that makes other people look at you and move a safe distance away….

Navy Chief, Navy Pride

22. Benn Rosales

August 23, 2009 at 11:01 am

lol Gwen, love to read you, you’re what Fridays are all about!

speed or bleed! I’m using that now!

23. Gwen Banta

August 23, 2009 at 2:35 pm

Thank you, Sharon – you’ll hear more every week, because my brain is warped, and I always forget to take my meds. Thanks for reading!

24. Gwen Banta

August 23, 2009 at 2:38 pm

Hi Joe – I think I write with you in mind – “If Joe would like this, it’s a winner.” However, you can’t blame me if people keep a safe distance from you – you’re as off-center as I am. But aren’t we lucky to enjoy each other’s company on the crazy train?

25. Gwen Banta

August 23, 2009 at 2:50 pm

Yes, Benn – It’s the only way to drive in L.A. We rival Boston and Rome: I think I’ll print up some bumper stickers for our AG family. You can choose from one of the following: “Speed or Bleed,” “Move or Moan,” “Goose it or Lose It,” “Give Way or Pass Away,” or my personal fave, “Keep to the Right or Go Into the Light.”

26. Benn Rosales

August 23, 2009 at 3:46 pm

ha I’ll take one of each

27. Kim Curran

August 28, 2009 at 7:09 pm

As always Gwen you amuse me. I will not try this at home!!

28. mike rakoski

August 29, 2009 at 8:52 am

ok-where do you find the time to read and write back to these people? Watch out for mariana.

29. Gwen Banta

August 29, 2009 at 3:57 pm

Sorry, Michael – I cannot respond right now – Mariana and I are at the beach having a picnic, right, Mariana? 🙂

30. maraian

August 29, 2009 at 4:42 pm

:: nod nod wink wink
    :: Cheers!

31. Atlanta Real Estate

August 31, 2009 at 8:03 pm

That was awesome!

You’re very brave. I don’t even tell people I know that I’m a RE Agent, much less run out in public and try what you did! You got the kahones!

RM

32. Gwen Banta

August 31, 2009 at 8:53 pm

Hence my desire for a beanbag gun 🙂

33. Amanda Wernick

September 18, 2009 at 1:19 pm

THIS WAS PERFECT! I so want to hang out with you the next time you want to meet people IRL….You cracked me up!

34. Gwen Banta

September 18, 2009 at 1:46 pm

Come along for the ride, Amanda – but be sure to wear a helmet!

35. Jacci

December 22, 2009 at 3:08 am

I am glad to say I’ve never been through that. I’ve had so rough days but nothing like that.

36. Gwen Banta

December 22, 2009 at 3:12 pm

Well, Jacci – at least my days are never boring!

37. Gwen Banta

March 1, 2010 at 7:47 pm

Thank you, Grant – I’ll sell you a house, get you arrested and book you a film…all in one day. However, when you wake up, you may wonder how you got the tattoo that says “AA Prime beef.”

38. Gwen Banta

March 1, 2010 at 8:17 pm

In a city full of proken promises, two kidneys will be a roll of the dice, Grant…

39. kellie young

March 26, 2010 at 1:09 pm

Thats hilarious!! I’m being a good girl and researching the pros and cons of becoming an agent.. and well, you have definitly made an impression in my book.. i wouldnt be selling in L.A., more like a town in texas, but still wondering if its somthing i would be proud of once i get my license… still not sure tho….

• Lani Rosales

March 26, 2010 at 1:50 pm

Hey Kellie, you’re not alone in considering becoming an agent! We actually have a writer here at AgentGenius.com that is going through exactly what you are and you might enjoy reading his journey toward becoming licensed: https://agentgenius.com/author/michael-bertoldi/

And you’re right, L.A. seems quite crazy, it’s not as colorful here in Texas 😉

40. Gwen Banta

March 26, 2010 at 2:22 pm

You’ll be VERY proud, Kellie – it’s a great profession. Remember, I am a satarist, so I have a perverse way of looking at things. I run a great business, and I wouldn’t do wnything else…unless it involves George Clooney. Come to L.A. – you’ll have more fun!

41. Gwen Banta

March 26, 2010 at 2:24 pm

Don’t pay any attention to Lani Rosales re: Texas, Kellie – wherever Lani is, THERE IS PLENTY OF COLOR!!!

42. Ken Brand

March 26, 2010 at 2:36 pm

Ummm, Gwen, what’s the deal. Is it true? If you use the word “satirist” as a qualifier, in front of “perverse” , then you’re not really perverse. If that’s true, I’m saved too. Hallelujah.;-)

43. Gwen Banta

March 26, 2010 at 3:17 pm

EXACTLY, Ken – tha’s like saying “I’m just in a good mood” when you’re drunk, remember?

44. Ken Brand

March 26, 2010 at 3:24 pm

No? I don’t remember. Remember, I said I think you slipped something into my drink and I woke up memoryless? Besides, I don’t get drunk, I just get happy.

45. Ken Brand

March 26, 2010 at 3:26 pm

PS. I’m not sure, but, commenting with you may be bathing in the shadow of ill-advised brand management?

46. Gwen Banta

March 26, 2010 at 3:45 pm

An that’s why I am a satirist and not just “perverse,” Ken – thanks for proving my point!:)

47. Gwen Banta

March 26, 2010 at 3:46 pm

Ken, ANYTHING with me is ill-advised LIFE management!

48. Ken Brand

March 26, 2010 at 3:50 pm

Oh. Now I get it. Good point. I see the spin-doctor difference. Thanks for your patience.

49. Stephanny Kramer

June 29, 2010 at 7:39 am

What a day indeed!

Liked this post :)There was never a boring line! You rule! 🙂

Business Marketing

Marketing amidst uncertainty: 3 considerations

(BUSINESS MARKETING) As the end of the COVID tunnel begins to brighten, marketing strategies may shift yet again – here are three thoughts to ponder going into the future.

Open business sign being held by business owner for marketing purposes.

The past year has been challenging for businesses, as operations of all sizes and types and around the country have had to modify their marketing practices in order to address the sales barriers created by the pandemic. That being said, things are beginning to look up again and cities are reopening to business as usual.

As a result, companies are looking ahead to Q3 with the awareness they need to pivot their marketing practices yet again. The only question is, how?

Pandemic Pivot 1.0: Q3 2020

When the pandemic disrupted global markets a year ago, companies looked for new ways to reach their clients where they were: At home, even in the case of B2B sales. This was the first major pivot, back when store shelves were empty care of panic shopping, and everyone still thought they would only be home for a few weeks.

How did this transition work? By building out more extensive websites, taking phone orders, and crafting targeted advertising, most companies actually survived the crisis. Some even came out ahead. With this second pivot, however, these companies will have to use what they knew before the pandemic, while making savvy predictions about how a year-long crisis may have changed customer behavior.

Think Brick And Mortar

As much as online businesses played a key role in the pandemic sales landscape, as the months wore on, people became increasingly loyal to local, brick and mortar businesses. As people return to their neighborhood for longer in-person adventures, brands should work on marketing strategies to further increase foot traffic. That may mean continuing to promote in-store safety measures, building a welcoming online presence, and developing community partnerships to benefit from other stores’ customer engagement efforts.

Reach Customers With PPC

Obviously brick and mortar marketing campaigns won’t go far for all-online businesses, but with people staying at home less, online shops may have a harder time driving sales. Luckily, they have other tools at their disposal. That includes PPC marketing, one of the most effective, trackable advertising strategies.

While almost every business already uses some degree of PPC marketing because of its overall value, but one reason it’s such a valuable tool for businesses trying to navigate the changing marketplace is how easy it is to modify. In fact, best practice is to adjust your PPC campaign weekly based on various indicators, which is what made it a powerful tool during the pandemic as well. Now, instead of using a COVID dashboard to track the impact of regulations on ad-driven sales, however, companies can use PPC marketing to see how their advertising efforts are holding up to customers’ rapidly changing shopping habits.

It’s All About The Platforms

When planning an ad campaign, what you say is often not as important as where you say it – a modern twist on “the medium is the message.” Right now, that means paying attention to the many newer platforms carrying innovative ad content, so experiment with placing ads on platforms like TikTok, Reddit, and NextDoor and see what happens.

One advantage of marketing via smaller platforms is that they tend to be less expensive than hubs like Facebook. That being said, they are all seeing substantial traffic, and most saw significant growth during the pandemic. If they don’t yield much in the way of results, losses will be minimal, but given the topical and local targeting various platforms allow for, above and beyond standard PPC targeting, they could be just what your brand needs as it navigates the next set of marketplace transitions.

The last year has been unpredictable for businesses, but Q3 2021 may be the most uncertain yet as everyone attempts to make sense of what normal means now. The phrase “new normal,” overused and awkward as it is, gets to the heart of it: we can pretend we’re returning to our pre-pandemic lives, but very little about the world before us is familiar, so marketing needs a “new normal,” too.

Business Marketing

Advertising overload: Let’s break it down

(BUSINESS MARKETING) A new study finds that frequent ads are actually more detrimental to a brand’s image than that same brand advertising near offensive content.

Advertising spread across many billboards in a city square.

If you haven’t noticed, ads are becoming extremely common in places that are extremely hard to ignore—your Instagram feed, for example. Advertising has certainly undergone some scrutiny for things like inappropriate placement and messaging over the years, but it turns out that sheer ad exhaustion is actually more likely to turn people off of associated brands than the aforementioned offensive content.

Marketing Dive published a report on the phenomenon last Tuesday. The report claims that, of all people surveyed, 32% of consumers said that they viewed current social media advertising to be “excessive”; only 10% said that they found advertisements to be “memorable”.

In that same group, 52% of consumers said that excessive ads were likely to affect negatively their perception of a brand, while only 32% said the same of ads appearing next to offensive or inappropriate content.

“Brand safety has become a hot item for many companies as they look to avoid associations with harmful content, but that’s not as significant a concern for consumers, who show an aversion to ad overload in larger numbers,” writes Peter Adams, author of the Marketing Dive report.

This reaction speaks to the sheer pervasiveness of ads in the current market. Certainly, many people are spending more time on their phones—specifically on social media—as a result of the pandemic. However, with 31% and 27% of surveyed people saying they found website ads either “distracting” or “intrusive”, respectively, the “why” doesn’t matter as much as the reaction itself.

It’s worth pointing out that solid ad blockers do exist for desktop website traffic, and most major browsers offer a “reader mode” feature (or add-on) that allows users to read through things like articles and the like without having to worry about dynamic ads distracting them or slowing down their page. This becomes a much more significant issue on mobile devices, especially when ads are so persistent that they impact one’s ability to read content.

Like most industries, advertisers have faced unique challenges during the pandemic. If there’s one major takeaway from the report, it’s this: Ads have to change—largely in terms of their frequency—if brands want to maintain customer retention and loyalty.

Business Marketing

7 simple tips to boost your customer loyalty online

(BUSINESS MARKETING) Without a brick-and-mortar store, building rapport and customer loyalty can be a challenge, but you can still build customer loyalty online.

Man and woman at kitchen table online shopping on laptop together, boosting customer loyalty.

With many businesses – both big and small – operating online, there are less opportunities for building those face-to-face relationships that exist in brick and mortar stores. According to smallbizgenius, 65% of the company’s revenue comes from existing customers.

It’s important to keep in mind the different tactics at your disposal for increasing customer loyalty. Noupe recently released a list of actionable tips for increasing this loyalty. Let’s examine these ideas and expand on the best.

1. Keep your promises – Stay true to what you’ve agreed to, obviously contractually, but stay true to your company values as well. Even if you feel you’ve built a good loyalty where there is room to take a step back, don’t rest on your laurels and be sure to remain consistent. If you’ve provided a good experience, keep that going. The only change that should happen is in it getting better.
  2. Stay in communication – In addition to the ever-so-vital social media platforms, consider creating an email newsletter to stay in touch with your customers. Finding ways to have them keep you in mind should be at the front of your mind. By reaching out and being friendly, this will help retain their business.
  3. Be flexible with payments – No, don’t sell yourself short, but consider installment plans for pricier items or services. This will help customers feel more at ease when their wallet’s health is at stake.
  4. Reward programs – Consider allowing customers to accrue loyalty points in exchange for a freebie. The old punch card method is still an incredibly popular concept, and is a great way to keep people coming back. The cost associated with giving something away for free will be minimal in comparison to loyalty you receive in order for the customer to get to that point. Make sure that what a customer is putting in is about equal to what they’re getting out of it (i.e. don’t have a customer spend $100 in order to get $1 off their next purchase). If all of this proves successful, this can eventually be expanded by creating VIP levels.
  5. Prioritize customer service – A first impression is everything. By prioritizing customer service, you can help shape the narrative of the customer and how they view your business. This splinters off into them giving good word of mouth recommendations to friends and family. Be sure to keep positive customer service as the forefront of your mind, as giving a bad review is just as easy – or even easier – as giving a good review.
  6. Value feedback – Allow customers a space to provide their feedback, either on your website or on social media. Find out what brought them to you and gage how their experience was. Be sure to thank them for their feedback and take it into consideration. Feedback – both good and bad – can be vital in helping shape a business.
  7. Avoid laziness – Stay sharp at all times. Don’t treat all customers as nothing but currency. Include personalized touches wherever you can. This will make all of the difference.