Business Marketing

A Day of In the Life of a Hollywood Real Estate Agent

A Day in the Life of A Hollywood Real Estate Agent – From Sharks to Shrapnel

Hollywood_signSpeak Quietly – I’m Nursing a Colossal Headache.

After a reader read my rant last week, “R U Networking or NOTworking,” he sagely challenged me to try a day of face-to-face marketing. (For those of you who cannot recall what that is, it involves getting out of your chair.) Moron that I am, I accepted his challenge and headed out onto the mean streets of Los Angeles to solicit clients. This is the bizarre story I barely lived to tell:

8:00 am: I pop out of bed. (That’s early for us showbiz types.) After donning my fake designer duds I head out the door of my Hansel-and-Gretel-size overpriced house, jump into my leased Mercedes, wave to my stoned neighbor, try to back over a slow-moving kid (hey – this is L.A., not Iowa – speed or bleed!), and serpentine down Laurel Canyon with throngs of other Los Angelinos who feel that driving should never distract them from texting. Twenty minutes later, I finally arrive at Rite-Aid Drugs, which is practically walking distance to my house.

9:30 am: I run into Rite-Aid to grab a few of the props I will need for marketing: 1. Red Bull. (I do not drink caffeine because my synapses are already challenged, but I must have it visible in my car in order to look cool.) 2. Gourmet dog cookies and 3. Pepper Spray, which the somnolent salesclerk insists they don’t sell. When I tell her I am about to embark on direct marketing and ask if the store sells firearms, she threatens to call the manager. I slip out the door before the manager/actor/bartender/waiter can find me and assault me with a head shot.

Let The Games Begin!

9:45 am: Outside the store a group of people have congregated. With utmost confidence, I approach the group and hand out my business cards, offering to price their homes or answer any questions they may have, as though I am the Oracle of Re-fi. One guy asks me if I will marry him and have his demon spawn, and another turns his back on me and pees on a nearby newspaper stand.  (Apparently my pitch needs polishing.) After an old lady with a shopping cart full of broken dolls offers me a toke off her joint, I conclude that this is not my target audience and move on, making a mental note to purchase a bean bag gun.

10:00 am: I walk next door to the Griddle, a popular Hollywood hang for the industry folks. (Yes I would have driven the 50 yards to live up to the stereotype, but in this town, a parking spot is harder to get than a great review.) I chat it up with a friendly crowd who are all waiting for tables. Clever person that I am, I offer their dogs cookies whenever a furry head pops out of a gazillion dollar purse. Eventually I come out of the closet and announce that I can satisfy all their real estate needs 24-7.  That’s right, my new BFFs, I am a virtual CNN of Real Estate!

All of a sudden, the group collectively breaks into riotous laughter. A  few actually bend over, grasp their sides and guffaw. Noticing my baffled expression, someone in the crowd finally wheezes, “We’re writers and actors – mostly unemployed. We can’t afford s__t!”

“But your expensive dogs…and your Tag Heuer watches…,” I weakly protest.

“We’re dog walkers, lady, and the watches are swag from luxury parties where we host or tend bar…”

“But, but…the Prada bags…”

“Gorgeous, huh?” one coiffed guy squeals, “Isn’t mine divine? I may be unemployed, but I look HOT. Image is everything,” he intones, as though it’s a moral imperative.

Feeling a bit defeated, I slink away with my Ebay bag and my unwanted business cards, still determined to find my audience.

Fools Rush In

10:30 am: The HUB (Hollywood Unemployment Brigade) continues to laugh as I crawl into my car, which is now covered in crow crapple, and drive away. I pop a can of Red Bull and chug the evil beverage as I drive past them, just to let them know I’m hipper than I seem.

I make my way to the Santa Monica Freeway and head for a Chamber of Commerce Luncheon, confident that I will find my target group. While speeding along the freeway at a neck breaking 10 miles an hour, I manage to get two dates, one donut tossed through my window, and a Lane Four Nap.

12:00 pm: I arrive at the Sheraton refreshed and ready to hustle. By now my lips are stuck to my teeth as a result of a 7.5 Richter Scale Red Bull rush, and several people are moving back from me to keep a safe distance. I am sure I hear someone call me, “Sybil,” as I inadvertently do my impersonation of Jim Carrey in The Mask. With one perfectly manicured thumbnail,  I manage to peel my lips off my teeth and forge on.

After a quick meet and greet, we all sit down to a “healthy” luncheon that actually scares me… I’m told that the red mass on my plate is a beet, tofu and egg white quiche, but I am convinced the chef accidentally severed an appendage and bled into the egg whites. After biting down into what has to be a finger, I push aside my swill and get down to business.

How to Close a Deal With Minimal Blood Shed

I am proud as I press hands and put a personal face on my business plan, as opposed to social networking from my reclusive inner sanctum. I am amazed at the flurry of cards being tossed into the center of the table like chips in a high stakes poker game. There are cards with color, embossing, gold edging, photos, corners burned with a match for effect (seriously), and even one with a pop-up cake. (Mine is a simple little tri-fold, four color number with a hologram of me holding a sign that says I’ll Hustle My Bustle For Your Biz. If you press the bubble next to my sparkling teeth, the card plays Hooray for Hollywood! You may have noticed that I am never subtle.)

The girl across the table reads my card and suddenly stiffens. Her eyeballs dilate as her body screams, “OMG – ANOTHER AGENT!” Several more bodies at the table stiffen in rapid succession. Only one man, a judge, seems unfazed. All eyes turn to the hapless judge in hunger. He clutches his heart, shrinks in his chair, and prepares for the assault. I know it’s going to be a pissing contest that no one will win. A scarred veteran of Agent Wrestling, I forfeit the game. As I prepare to leave, Short Sale Sally, who is sitting next to me, shoves me aside and practically squeals at the thought of one less jackal on the judge’s carcass.

“Here, you can have my quiche,” I say as I leave, “And I am giving you the finger, too.”

Mea Culpa, I Havta Gulpa

4:33 pm: After another road trip home that is so long it practically requires an airdrop food mission, I drag my sorry self through the door. There, in peaceful Laurel Canyon, I kick off my shoes, change into my refugee clothing, and fire up my computer to wait for my social networking friends to check in. Gleefully, I talk to a thousand people via Twitter, Facebook and Agent Genius, and no one threatens to pee on my leg.

Slowly, carefully, I eat most of my words about the evils of social networking and admit to my war torn self that I simply must find a happy medium between FTF and KTK before I am KIA.

6:42 pm: My fingers mechanically type the following phrase: Mea Culpa, Ima Dopa.

I wear several hats: My mink fedora real estate hat belongs to Sotheby’s International Realty on the world famous Sunset Strip. I’M not world famous, but I've garnered a few Top Producer credits along the way. I also wear a coonskin writer's cap with an arrow through it, having written a few novels and screenplays and scored a few awards there, too. (The arrow was from a tasteless critic.) My sequined turban is my thespian hat for my roles on stage, and in film and television, Dahling. You can check me out in all my infamy at LinkedIn, LAhomesite.com, SherlockOfHomes, IMDB or you can shoot arrows at my head via email. I can take it.

1. Fred Romano

August 21, 2009 at 10:09 am

LMFAO! This is the MOST entertaining story on AG… I was mezmorized reading it, didn’t want it to end, and laughed the entire time. Wowi you can really write, maybe you’re in the wrong business.

2. Brandie Young

August 21, 2009 at 10:58 am

Gwen
    You never fail to crack me up! If you are even slightly as charming in person as you are here, you must have people flocking to you. Perhaps the next challenge should be targeting … (not as in practice – as a fellow Californian I would never suggest such a thing)

3. Ken Brand

August 21, 2009 at 3:14 pm

WOW! If I move to Hollywood can I be your assistant gofer. Sounds like you have more fun than anyone I know and I want in, even if I have to start at the sub-basement level.

You RULE!

Cheers.

PS. What’s a Red Bull?

4. Gwen Banta

August 21, 2009 at 4:06 pm

Thank you, Fred…but if I were not in Real Estate, from where would I get all my material? Besides, this wacko business keeps me on the crazy train 🙂

5. Gwen Banta

August 21, 2009 at 4:08 pm

Yes, Brandie – I need remedial work in targeting. But if I hit a bullseye, I wouldn’t meet all the bizarre characters I meet daily. Oh wait a minute – I live in Los Angeles – of course I would!

6. Gwen Banta

August 21, 2009 at 4:24 pm

I’ll be waiting for you, Ken. Our first task will simply be for entertainment: The Death Tour – all the famous spots known for macabre events. This could take days. We can spend an hour on my street alone – famous for the Wonderland murders, Jim Morrison hijinks and Rocker lore. (Attention Matt Stigliano!)

Then we visit the cemetaries – lots of characters just hanging around taking photos of graves. (I’m sure these characters will also want to take my death Tour.) The Real Estate Sales opportunities there are limited to smaller “vault-size” properties.

Then we hit Beverly Hills. Alas, we cannot solicit business there because I cannot count in numbers that high without my abacus.

Then we’ll hit the beaches. No business there unless you’re good at rolling joints. So we can just relax and suck up the breathtaking beauty of California.

Oh yes – that’s why we’re all here…

PS Red Bull is a drink with a Mule-size caffeine kick. I’m told it’s tasty, but if I even touch the label, I’ll be awake for days.

7. Matt Stigliano

August 21, 2009 at 6:36 pm

Gwen – The post was great and you always makes me feel like I’m back there again. But, the best part of this whole post is in your comments and maybe not funny to most, but to a former resident of Sherman Oaks right off of Ventura – I can relate:

When I went looking for houses I could never figure out how to say an address – do I really call it 1 million 250 thousand seventeen? Or am I supposed to just read the numbers one by one: one-two-five-oh-oh-one-seven? Still have trouble with anything over the thousands.

8. Matt Stigliano

August 21, 2009 at 6:37 pm

PS Red Bull also contains Taurine. Next time you’re in the pet food section look at any cat food that is meant for weight loss/balance. Guess what’s a main ingredient? Yep.

9. Gwen Banta

August 21, 2009 at 9:30 pm

Matt, I feel so much better knowing I am not the only person with Zero Dysfunction. I drop zeros constantly because my brain counts zeros instead of seeing the number as a whole. Well, for that reason… and maybe also because I have three martinis every morning for breakfast. 🙂

10. Gwen Banta

August 21, 2009 at 9:41 pm

Hmmmm…taurine in Red Bull…that certainly can’t help the problem we have with freeway freak-outs. A doctor told my musician client to lay off the stuff because it was stressing his heart more than his rocker lifestyle does. If it also causes weight loss, then that helps explain the popularity. We certainly can’t have any women running around this town that are big enough to create a shadow. If a starlet hits 100 lbs we perform social and professional euthansia.

11. Irina Netchaev

August 21, 2009 at 10:56 pm

Absolutely hillarious! You made my evening!!!

Thank you!

• Nashville Grant

March 1, 2010 at 7:17 pm

I second that opinion and am impressed, I’ve never seen an IMDB link in any real estate agent’s social profile before. Makes me want to buy a house from you despite my relative poorness by Cali standards. Plus, I’d get shot for driving a big Hummer out there.

12. Gwen Banta

August 21, 2009 at 11:19 pm

Thank you, Irina – have a wonderful weekend, and enjoy the laughter!

13. Mariana

August 22, 2009 at 7:39 pm

BY FAR … the most ENTERTAINING real estate post I have EVER EVER read. I think I love you…

14. Mike Price

August 22, 2009 at 8:23 pm

“…and I’m giving you the finger too” ROTFLMAO.

15. Paula Henry

August 22, 2009 at 8:45 pm

Gwen – You are my absolute favorite writer; I look forward to your world renowned movie, based on your life in real estate.

Obviously, you would be the star!

16. Gwen Banta

August 22, 2009 at 9:05 pm

I think I love you back, Mariana.

17. Gwen Banta

August 22, 2009 at 9:11 pm

Mike, I’m glad you caught that that little play on words. As a reward for your sharp mind, I’ll send you the finger and you can pass it on to anyone who annoys you. We can start a Finger Chain. The last recipient can send it back to me via courier pidgeon.Then we’ll start another chain for annoying folks – this time we’ll them give them the bird. 🙂

18. Gwen Banta

August 22, 2009 at 9:16 pm

Thank you, Paula. Quentin Tarantino would have to direct. I’ll probably be cast as one of the weirdest characters in the film. You can be my sidekick – the one who posts my bail and retrieves me from the asylum on weekends. Of course, as co-producers (always demand a credit), I suggest we set up a casting couch for really cute men…

19. Paula Henry

August 22, 2009 at 9:19 pm

Oh the plans we could make for your free weekends. 🙂 Don’t mind her, she’s on a weekend pass.

20. Sharon deLisser

August 23, 2009 at 12:46 am

OMG you are delightful! I loved the article, didn’t want it to end. Hope to hear more from you soon.

21. Joe Loomer

August 23, 2009 at 9:36 am

Mike beat me to the finger comment – simply amazing. You rock Gwen. I find myself chuckling through the week after you kickin’ posts – the kind of chuckling to yourself that makes other people look at you and move a safe distance away….

Navy Chief, Navy Pride

22. Benn Rosales

August 23, 2009 at 11:01 am

lol Gwen, love to read you, you’re what Fridays are all about!

speed or bleed! I’m using that now!

23. Gwen Banta

August 23, 2009 at 2:35 pm

Thank you, Sharon – you’ll hear more every week, because my brain is warped, and I always forget to take my meds. Thanks for reading!

24. Gwen Banta

August 23, 2009 at 2:38 pm

Hi Joe – I think I write with you in mind – “If Joe would like this, it’s a winner.” However, you can’t blame me if people keep a safe distance from you – you’re as off-center as I am. But aren’t we lucky to enjoy each other’s company on the crazy train?

25. Gwen Banta

August 23, 2009 at 2:50 pm

Yes, Benn – It’s the only way to drive in L.A. We rival Boston and Rome: I think I’ll print up some bumper stickers for our AG family. You can choose from one of the following: “Speed or Bleed,” “Move or Moan,” “Goose it or Lose It,” “Give Way or Pass Away,” or my personal fave, “Keep to the Right or Go Into the Light.”

26. Benn Rosales

August 23, 2009 at 3:46 pm

ha I’ll take one of each

27. Kim Curran

August 28, 2009 at 7:09 pm

As always Gwen you amuse me. I will not try this at home!!

28. mike rakoski

August 29, 2009 at 8:52 am

ok-where do you find the time to read and write back to these people? Watch out for mariana.

29. Gwen Banta

August 29, 2009 at 3:57 pm

Sorry, Michael – I cannot respond right now – Mariana and I are at the beach having a picnic, right, Mariana? 🙂

30. maraian

August 29, 2009 at 4:42 pm

:: nod nod wink wink
    :: Cheers!

31. Atlanta Real Estate

August 31, 2009 at 8:03 pm

That was awesome!

You’re very brave. I don’t even tell people I know that I’m a RE Agent, much less run out in public and try what you did! You got the kahones!

RM

32. Gwen Banta

August 31, 2009 at 8:53 pm

Hence my desire for a beanbag gun 🙂

33. Amanda Wernick

September 18, 2009 at 1:19 pm

THIS WAS PERFECT! I so want to hang out with you the next time you want to meet people IRL….You cracked me up!

34. Gwen Banta

September 18, 2009 at 1:46 pm

Come along for the ride, Amanda – but be sure to wear a helmet!

35. Jacci

December 22, 2009 at 3:08 am

I am glad to say I’ve never been through that. I’ve had so rough days but nothing like that.

36. Gwen Banta

December 22, 2009 at 3:12 pm

Well, Jacci – at least my days are never boring!

37. Gwen Banta

March 1, 2010 at 7:47 pm

Thank you, Grant – I’ll sell you a house, get you arrested and book you a film…all in one day. However, when you wake up, you may wonder how you got the tattoo that says “AA Prime beef.”

38. Gwen Banta

March 1, 2010 at 8:17 pm

In a city full of proken promises, two kidneys will be a roll of the dice, Grant…

39. kellie young

March 26, 2010 at 1:09 pm

Thats hilarious!! I’m being a good girl and researching the pros and cons of becoming an agent.. and well, you have definitly made an impression in my book.. i wouldnt be selling in L.A., more like a town in texas, but still wondering if its somthing i would be proud of once i get my license… still not sure tho….

• Lani Rosales

March 26, 2010 at 1:50 pm

Hey Kellie, you’re not alone in considering becoming an agent! We actually have a writer here at AgentGenius.com that is going through exactly what you are and you might enjoy reading his journey toward becoming licensed: https://agentgenius.com/author/michael-bertoldi/

And you’re right, L.A. seems quite crazy, it’s not as colorful here in Texas 😉

40. Gwen Banta

March 26, 2010 at 2:22 pm

You’ll be VERY proud, Kellie – it’s a great profession. Remember, I am a satarist, so I have a perverse way of looking at things. I run a great business, and I wouldn’t do wnything else…unless it involves George Clooney. Come to L.A. – you’ll have more fun!

41. Gwen Banta

March 26, 2010 at 2:24 pm

Don’t pay any attention to Lani Rosales re: Texas, Kellie – wherever Lani is, THERE IS PLENTY OF COLOR!!!

42. Ken Brand

March 26, 2010 at 2:36 pm

Ummm, Gwen, what’s the deal. Is it true? If you use the word “satirist” as a qualifier, in front of “perverse” , then you’re not really perverse. If that’s true, I’m saved too. Hallelujah.;-)

43. Gwen Banta

March 26, 2010 at 3:17 pm

EXACTLY, Ken – tha’s like saying “I’m just in a good mood” when you’re drunk, remember?

44. Ken Brand

March 26, 2010 at 3:24 pm

No? I don’t remember. Remember, I said I think you slipped something into my drink and I woke up memoryless? Besides, I don’t get drunk, I just get happy.

45. Ken Brand

March 26, 2010 at 3:26 pm

PS. I’m not sure, but, commenting with you may be bathing in the shadow of ill-advised brand management?

46. Gwen Banta

March 26, 2010 at 3:45 pm

An that’s why I am a satirist and not just “perverse,” Ken – thanks for proving my point!:)

47. Gwen Banta

March 26, 2010 at 3:46 pm

Ken, ANYTHING with me is ill-advised LIFE management!

48. Ken Brand

March 26, 2010 at 3:50 pm

Oh. Now I get it. Good point. I see the spin-doctor difference. Thanks for your patience.

49. Stephanny Kramer

June 29, 2010 at 7:39 am

What a day indeed!

Liked this post :)There was never a boring line! You rule! 🙂

Business Marketing

Snapchat’s study reveals our growing reliance on video

(BUSINESS MARKETING) Snapchat released a report that shows some useful insights for future video content creation.

Snapchat's video

Snapchat is taking a break from restoring people’s streaks to publish a report on mobile video access; according to Social Media Today, the report holds potentially vital information about how customers use their mobile devices to view content.

And–surprise, surprise–it turns out we’re using our phones to consume a lot more media than we did six years ago.

The obvious takeaways from this study are listed all over the place, and not even necessarily courtesy of Snapchat. People are using their phones substantially more often than they have in the past five years, and with everyone staying home, it’s reasonable to expect more engagement and more overall screen time.

However, there are a couple of insights that stand out from Snapchat’s study.

Firstly, the “Stories” feature that you see just about everywhere now is considered one of the most popular–and, thus, most lucrative–forms of video content. 82 percent of Snapchat users in the study said that they watched at least one Snapchat Story every day, with the majority of stories being under ten minutes.

This is a stark contrast to the 52 percent of those polled who said they watched a TV show each day and the 49 percent who said they consumed some “premium” style of short-form video (e.g., YouTube). You’ll notice that this flies in the face of some schools of thought regarding content creation on larger platforms like YouTube or Instagram.

Equally as important is Snapchat’s “personal” factor, which is the intimate, one-on-one-ish atmosphere cultivated by Snapchat features. Per Snapchat’s report, this is the prime component in helping an engaging video achieve the other two pillars of success: making it relatable and worthy of sharing.

Those three pillars–being personal, relatable, and share-worthy–are the components of any successful “short-form” video, Snapchat says.

Snapchat also reported that of the users polled, the majority claimed Snapchat made them feel more connected to their fellow users than comparable social media sites (e.g., Instagram or Facebook). Perhaps unsurprisingly, the next-closest social media platform vis-a-vis interpersonal connection was TikTok–something for which you can probably see the nexus to Snapchat.

We know phone use is increasing, and we know that distanced forms of social expression were popular even before a pandemic floored the world; however, this report demonstrates a paradigm shift in content creation that you’d have to be nuts not to check out for yourself.

Business Marketing

Technology is helping small businesses adapt and stay afloat

(BUSINESS MARKETING) Small businesses need to utilize digital platforms to adapt their businesses during COVID-19, or else they may be left behind.

small businesses new tech

While many may not have imagined our present day back in March, and to what extreme we would be doing things “remotely” and via “hands-free contact”, we have to give some credit to small business owners who remain flexible and have pivoted to stay afloat. They deserve major credit on adaptations they have made (and possibly investments) in new technology (ordering online, online payments) especially at a time when their in-person revenues have taken a hit.

There are various marketing buzz words being used lately to say “let’s keep our distance”, including: curbside, to-go, hands-free, no contact, delivery only, order via app, social distancing and #wearamask.

The thing is, if you really think about it, small businesses are always in evolution mode – they have to pay attention to consumer consumption and behaviors that can shift quickly in order to stay relevant and utilize their marketing and advertising budgets wisely. They heavily rely on positive customer reviews and word of mouth recommendations because they may not have the budget for large scale efforts.

For example, we use Lyft or Uber vs calling an individual cab owner; we order on Amazon vs shopping at a local mom-and-pop shop; we download and make playlists of music vs going to a record or music store. Small business owners are constantly fighting to keep up with the big guys and have to take into account how their product/service has relevance, and if it’s easy for people to attain. In current times, they’ve had to place major efforts into contactless experiences that often require utilizing a digital platform.

If stores or restaurants didn’t already have an online ordering platform, they had to implement one. Many may have already had a way to order online but once they were forced to close their dining areas, they had to figure out how to collect payments safely upon pickup; this may have required them to implement a new system. Many restaurants also had to restructure pick up and to-go orders, whether it was adding additional signage or reconfiguring their pick up space to make sure people were able to easily practice social distancing.

According to this article from the U.S. Chamber of Commerce, “Studies have shown that 73% of small businesses are not aware of digital resources, such as online payment processing tools, online productivity tools, e-commerce websites, online marketing and other tools, that can help them reach customers around the world. If small businesses had better access to global markets, it could increase the GDP of the United States by $81 billion and add 900,000 new jobs. During the pandemic, this could also mean the difference between thriving and closing for good.”

There are some larger corporate technology companies offering ways to support small businesses whether it’s through small business grants from Google, resources and grants from Facebook or Verizon giving them a break on their telecom bill. The challenge with this may be whether or not small business owners are able to find time from their intense focus on surviving to applying for these grants and managing all that admin time. Many business owners may be focusing on what technology they have and can upgrade, or what they need to implement – most likely while seeing a loss in revenue. So, it can be a tough decision to make new technology investments.

It does seem like many have made incredible strides, and quickly (which is impressive), to still offer their products and services to customers – whether it’s a contactless pay method, free delivery, or even reservations to ensure limited capacity and socially distanced visits. There are still some that just haven’t able to do that yet, and may be looking at other ways to take their business to a wider audience online.

We would encourage, if you can, to support small businesses in your community as often as you can. Understandably there are times that it’s easier to order on Amazon, but if there is a way you can pick up something from a local brewery or family-owned business, this may be the lifeline they need to survive and/or to invest in new technology to help them adapt.

Business Marketing

There’s a shortage of skilled workers, so get learning

(BUSINESS MARKETING) COVID-19 may end up justifying training funds for lower-class workers to learn new skills. Skilled workers are desperately needed right now.

skilled worker

The COVID-19 pandemic (yes, that one) has ushered in a lot of unexpected changes, one of the which is most surprising: An increased call for skilled workers — a call that, unfortunately, requires a massive retraining of the existing workforce.

According to the New York Times, nearly 50 percent of Americans were working from home by May; this was, reportedly, a 15 percent increase in remote work. The problems with this model are expansive, but one of the greatest issues stems from the lack of training: As employees of lower-class employment transitioned to working online, it became increasingly evident that there was a shortage of skilled workers in this country.

The Times traces this phenomenon back to the Great Recession; Harvard University’s Lawrence Katz points to some parallels and insinuates that this is an opportunity to elevate the lower class rather than regressing, and it seems fair to put the onus of such elevation on lawmakers and senators.

Indeed, Congress has even addressed the issue of skill equality via “bipartisan support” of a $4000 credit for non-skilled workers to use toward skill training. For Congress to come together on something like this is relatively noteworthy, and it’s hard to disagree with the premise that, given the invariable automation wave, many of our “non-skilled” workers will face unemployment without substantial aid.

COVID-19 has accelerated many trends and processes that should have taken years to propagate, and this is clearly one of them.

Supporting laborers in developing skills that help them work within the technology bubble isn’t just a good idea–it’s imperative, both morally and economically speaking. Even middle-class “skilled” workers have had trouble keeping up with the sheer amount of automation and technology-based skillsets required to stay competent; when one considers how lower-class employees will be impacted by this wave, the outcome is too dark to entertain.

It should be noted that non-skilled workers don’t necessarily have to scale up their training in their current fields; the Times references a truck driver who pivoted hard into software development, and while it may be easier for some to focus on their existing areas of expertise, the option to make a career change does exist.

If we take nothing else away from the time we’ve spent in quarantine, we should remember that skilled labor is integral to our success as a society, and we have a moral obligation to help those who missed the opportunity to develop such skills fulfill that need.