Business Marketing

What a Cute Shirt! Will it Be a Collector’s Item?

tshirt.jpg

As I was breaking my two-week-old rule of not working past 9 p.m. (something I can’t even blame on daylight savings time, since the clocks in Arizona don’t move) I ran across a post from Dallas Mavericks owner Mark Cuban on start-ups.

Here’s item number 10 from his list of rules for a start-up:

10. NEVER EVER EVER buy swag. A sure sign of failure for a startup is when someone sends me logo polo shirts. If your people are at shows and in public, its ok to buy for your own folks, but if you really think someone is going to wear your Yobaby.com polo you sent them in public, you are mistaken and have no idea how to spend your money

When I switched from Century 21 to RE/MAX at the beginning of January, I was following in the footsteps of a co-worker who had moved the week prior. I’d give the full litany of Century 21 logo merchandise he owned but I’m not sure I saw it all. Here’s a partial:

• Phone number on back window of car
  • License plate rim
  • Jacket with both Century 21 logo and his website on the sleeve
  • Multiple polo shirts
  • Business cards
  • Magnet calendars
  • An actual Gold Jacket

His first several days were spent re-ordering everything he’d had before, this time with the RE/MAX balloon in place of the Century 21 logo.

Not so with me. I spent about two hours changing logos on all my websites and adjusting as many of the web profiles as I could remember. I ordered new business cards. I decided not to order my own for sale signs, at least for now, and stick with the name riders I already had with Tobey and my picture and the website. I did not buy any open house signs.

TANGENT: Speaking of which we’d like to congratulate this weekend’s big winner, Sarah Cooper, for writing an actual offer for actual buyers at an actual open house in Hurricane, West Virginia. (Sounds like the announcement of who won Powerball, don’t it? Especially the part about it being someone in West Virginia? Lottery odds are better. Please sit open houses responsibly. Thank you, thank you. Try the veal.)

FOOTNOTE TO TANGENT: Universal reaction from agents on Twitter after Sarah had announced what she did … WHAT?!?!?

Where the hell was I …  oh yeah. Swag.

Some folks I know went into this business and started spending cash left and right with no discernible return. Fortunately, I’ve never had this luxury. So I’ve been judicious in what I have spent, preferring to focus my dollars on marketing my sellers’ homes.

I realize I’m losing possible business by not wearing a name tag (or even owning one with a balloon on it, for that matter.) I realize I’m not going to receive calls from people driving down the road who get the urge to sell, who aren’t pissed that I just cut them off and who don’t call one of the other eight agents on the same road.

It’s a risk I’m willing to take, at least until I’m convinced the ROI justifies the change.

Mark Cuban agrees with me. So I’ve got that going for me.

Jonathan Dalton is a Realtor with RE/MAX Desert Showcase in Peoria, Arizona and is the author of the All Phoenix Real Estate blog as well as a half-dozen neighborhood sites. His partner, Tobey, is a somewhat rotund beagle who sleeps 21 hours a day.

1. Benjamin Bach

March 10, 2008 at 4:50 am

Repeat after me… it’s the Realtor, not the Brokerage that people do business with. Every single time. (unless its a silly relo thing)

Add me to the list (with Mark Cuban) of people agreeing with you. Brand Dalton. Or Tobey. Or DaltonsAZHomes. But not remax (or c21, or Keller Williams or ERA).

Unless your firm wants to pay your marketing budget, dont put their logo on more things than you have to

BenjaminBach.com

2. Rob Aubrey

March 10, 2008 at 6:38 am

I do not brand the company I brand myself. When I switched brokers over 4 years agao, the material switch was fairly easy. My business cards look the same, my branding and the compay along the bottom in text. Unless the company is paying, their logo doesn’t appear.

“Real Estate is a local business run by local agents and their centers of influence”
    Gary Keller

3. Jim

March 10, 2008 at 7:53 am

I brand my company only as much as the law requires. I’m running my own business independent of the brokerage.

4. Jim

March 10, 2008 at 7:56 am

Oh, and I do offer my own swag.. 🙂

5. Toby & Saide

March 10, 2008 at 9:20 am

Jim – I just ordered one of everything.

Here is the issue, at least in Ohio, the real estate laws are written to protect who? The consumer? A little. The agent? Right, we aren’t even considered worthy of handling a contract. The broker? Ding, ding, ding. We have a winner!

So what does that mean? While I may want to market Toby as the agent of choice, every piece of marketing must also contain what? My brokerage – in the same size font as my name. So I do “car placards” and if I were to change, that has to be changed.

I agree 100 percent with Benjamin. People are buying and selling real estate from me not Disbennett Real Estate or whatever other company is holding my license and taking their cut of my cash. But to protect the public it is very hard to not at least do a little bit of cross-branding with your company.

6. Jonathan Dalton

March 10, 2008 at 9:37 am

One of the interesting things I discovered when I made the switch is the number of people who didn’t notice for a couple of weeks. They just looked at the site one day and realized there was a different logo there all of a sudden.

7. Daniel Rothamel, The Real Estate Zebra

March 10, 2008 at 10:04 am

I don’t do name tags. Personally, I think of them like cattle-brands.

When we worked for a brokerage, we hated every minute of having to advertise the brokerage brand. Now that we have our own brokerage, the individual brands and the brokerage brand are one and the same. That is one of the benefits to working the way we do.

I do have to disagree with Mark just a little bit. His assessment is only accurate given the nature of the particular start-up, the people to whom the swag is sent, and the reason for sending it. Me sending a t-shirt to Mark Cuban might not make a whole lot of sense. Me sending t-shirts to past clients after a successful transaction, on the other hand. . .

8. Benn Rosales

March 10, 2008 at 10:34 am

A Vote for Jonathan is like voting for terrorists. They’ll be dancing in the streets if J wins.

9. Jonathan Dalton

March 10, 2008 at 10:36 am

Rooting for Agent Genius is like rooting for the New York Yankees. Corporate, monolithic, arrogant …

10. Jim

March 10, 2008 at 10:39 am

But voting for Jim Duncan/RealCentralVA.com is like spreading sunshine, flowers and bundles of money to all your friends. Trust me. Vote for me and see. 🙂

11. Benn Rosales

March 10, 2008 at 11:09 am

Voting for Agent Genius is a vote for family values- we won’t be blogging at 3am!

12. Sarah Cooper

March 10, 2008 at 11:24 am

LOL!! Now if only the offer will be accepted!!! :D!

13. Jonathan Dalton

March 10, 2008 at 11:32 am

I really wanted to sell the whole lottery thing with some added quotes … “I was heading home and I don’t normally do an open house but I decided what the heck …”

14. Jonathan Dalton

March 10, 2008 at 11:37 am

Vote for Dalton’s Arizona Homes – I’m asleep at 3 a.m. as any well-respected person should be!

15. Jay Thompson

March 10, 2008 at 12:16 pm

What really matters in this whole Blog Brawl is voting for the proper entity in “Zone 2”.

That would be Phoenix Real Estate Guy. Who has ever heard of my competitor, some blog called “Rain City Guide”??

16. Jonathan Dalton

March 10, 2008 at 12:27 pm

Another elitist collection of talent! Fight the Man! Vote for Jay and me!

17. Mariana

March 10, 2008 at 12:43 pm

I am offering free coffee if I win.

18. Kelley Koehler

March 10, 2008 at 1:16 pm

Hold on a second there Jay – proper zone 2 voting includes MyTucsonBlog.com as well. /eyeballs phoenixreguy…

19. Linda Davis

March 10, 2008 at 3:41 pm

Jonathan – As your press agent I almost agree with you gut go for the name badge – I really do get business from it. Ok, it’s a sentimental thing with me – I got my very very first listing in 1977 because of wearing my name badge in a toy store on the Submarine Base in Groton CT. OH WAIT – silly me. How archaic!!! Buyers and sellers don’t look at name badges anymore because they are looking at their IPhones instead. Crap, I’m old.

20. Jay Thompson

March 10, 2008 at 3:57 pm

I got out of a traffic ticket once thanks to sign magnets on my car. That’s a pretty good ROI….

Just a week or so ago I got into a conversation with a guy at a gas station because of the URL on my tire cover. He’s now got a business card and is on auto-listings.

And I’ve finally found something not on eBay — a C21 Gold Jacket….

@Kelley – how crass of me not to mention MTB in Zone 2!

21. Ines

March 10, 2008 at 7:39 pm

I just came to say that I thought I had it bad going against The “T” herself at the brawl – then I saw Mariana against The Zebra but when I saw you against Agent Genius…..we……I spit my coffee and ruined a perfectly good page of my calendar.

22. Lani Anglin-Rosales

March 10, 2008 at 10:28 pm

@Ines uhhh, it sounds like AG contributors kind of have the Brawl on lock…. i’m just sayin’….

23. Ines

March 11, 2008 at 7:16 am

Lani – I think you got that one right!

24. Garden Gates

June 7, 2008 at 8:09 am

Ines – Yeah! Lani pretty much hit the nail on the head.

Business Marketing

The rise of influencer marketing and its effect on digital marketing

(BUSINESS MARKETING) More businesses are planning to invest a larger part of their marketing budgets on more relatable, branded content and influencer marketing.

Influencer speaking to camera for marketing segment.

The digital age has created more savvy consumers, and the barrage of advertising on top of the plenitude of content online can be a lot. Many consumers have learned to hide ads or they simply scroll past them to their content of choice. Most business owners know that digital marketing is a crucial part of any ad strategy, and branded content and influencer marketing continues to grow in the market, because consumers see that it’s different from traditional advertising.

Hardly anything stayed the same in 2020, and traditional advertising also has shifted. Advertiser Perceptions reported on the trend for 2021, based on a survey from late 2020.

“More than half of advertisers using paid branded content and influencers say doing so is more critical than it was a year ago. Throughout the second half of 2020, 32% increased spending on branded content and 25% spent more to back influencers. They’re now putting 20% of their digital budgets into the complementary practices, which is more than they put into any other digital channel (paid search is 14%, display 13%, paid social 12%, digital video 12%).”

The benefits of branded and influencer content are that you are speaking to the consumer where they already are, when you choose an influencer. The people who follow their accounts are more likely to trust that the influencer would only share something they like or use themselves. The best matches are when the influencer marketing fits nicely into the kind of content, the voice, and any specialties they already deal with.

The word “influencer” as well as the concept rubs some people the wrong way. Marketers see the value, though, as influencer marketing can be effective if done well, and the cost to hire them is often less than a traditional ad campaign. If I want to know about food in a city, I’ll follow the hashtags until I find a local food blogger or micro-influencer whose style I like. Then I’ll seek out those restaurants when I visit. Sure, some of the meals are comped, but the truth is that food bloggers and influencers like to share their food recommendations. I have been influenced this way more than once, and not only for food. I am not alone in this, either, which is why it’s an important part of a marketing strategy.

In influencer marketing, the content creator is then given free rein to create within their own style, voice, and persona. They need to connect with their audience in an authentic, familiar way without creating a dissonance for their followers between their public page(s) and the brand. The level of trust is fairly high with influencer marketing, and many influencers realize that promoting something crappy or something outside of their area of expertise or recognition hurts everyone involved.

The power of storytelling comes into play here, as with all good advertising. Branded content is specifically all about the story, often the story of the business’s philosophy or some lifestyle aspect that goes with the brand’s vibe–or is so off that it goes viral. Some branded campaigns join into or build off of conversations already happening in the wider world. The purpose is to have people engage with the brand, with the content, build awareness, encourage conversations, sharing, comments, all with the long term goal of fostering a positive image of the brand so that down the line, they will become consumers.

Think of 2004 Dove’s “Real Beauty” campaign, based on a study showing that around 2% of women saw themselves as beautiful. The widely studied, award-winning campaign featured women of all backgrounds and body types, without airbrushing and Photoshopping them into a narrow vision of “beauty.” While some people hated it, many loved it and applauded the brand for treading into traditionally uncharted waters. Among haters, fans, and people who weren’t sure what to think, the Dove Real Beauty branded content campaign generated conversations. The campaign also encouraged women to feel good about themselves and lift up other women. One could argue that the campaign you could argue that the Real Beauty campaign was a forerunner to the currently popular body positivity movement, which started gaining traction around 2012. Dove increased sales by at least $1.5 billion in the first ten years the branded content campaign ran.

The goal of branded content is to raise awareness of the brand, but the path from point A (creating the content) to point B (brand awareness, ultimately leading to better sales) is not a straight line. Brands are paying attention to grabbing attention, aka building brand awareness via more upper funnel marketing than lower funnel.

One thing that marketers are looking for now, however, is almost eliminating the funnel. With the mind-boggling increase in e-commerce since the beginning of the pandemic, clickable sales capability becomes important in any kind of marketing, including influencer and branded content. It pays to listen to customers, to find an influencer who meshes with your brand’s purpose, and to create thoughtful branded content that isn’t out of line with your core product or service.

Business Marketing

Need design help? Ask a Designer offers free peer-review for better design

(BUSINESS MARKETING) Good design is more than just slapping some fonts and colors together. Ask a Designer promises free design advice on their new website.

A white sign in an urban setting reading "In Design We Trust" with glowing yellow lights above.

With the necessity to create and maintain an online presence for our businesses nowadays, content creation is essential. One impact this proliferation of content has had on entrepreneurs, bloggers, and small businesses is that many non-designers have had to take a stab at design work. Sometimes this works out for the amateur designer, but often it could be better: More effective, accessible, and appealing. This is where Ask a Designer comes in.

Creating designs online can be fun, but your average Canva, Squarespace, or WordPress user, for example, has no more of a sense of design than the man on the moon. Design work encompasses so much more than just slapping some words on a stock photo and calling it a day. While there are truly incredible and helpful free or inexpensive DIY design and business tools out there, nothing beats the power of knowledge and experience.

Ask a Designer provides one more level of professional review and counsel before a business owner puts their DIY (or even paid) design work out there for the world to see—or worse, not see. As a writer, I have always valued editorial reviews, comments, and feedback on my writing. Second eyes, third eyes, and more almost always serve to improve the content. It makes business sense to get as much feedback as possible, even better to get expert feedback.

For example, an experienced web designer should have a good idea of how to incorporate and test for UX and UI purposes, thus making the user interaction more functional and pleasant. A skilled graphic designer knows what colors go together for aesthetic appeal, accessibility, and even the psychology behind why and how they do.

Take logos. Pick a color, image, and font you like, and go for it, right? I’m afraid not. There is a lot of data out there on the science and psychology of how our brains process logos. There are examples of logo “fails” out there, as well. Consider the uproar over AirBnB’s logo that many thought evoked genitalia. Or the raised eyebrows when Google changed their color scheme to one similar to Microsoft’s palate. Just search for “logo fails” online to get an idea of how a seemingly innocent logo can go horribly wrong. I haven’t linked them here, because they would need a trigger warning, as many of the worst examples can be interpreted as some sort of sexual innuendo or genitalia. Searchers, be warned.

It always makes good business sense to use professional designers when you have the option, just as it makes sense to use professional writers for copywriting and professional photographers for photography. After all, if you have the chance to get something right the first time, it saves you time and money to do so. Rebranding can be difficult and costly, although sometimes rebranding is necessary. Having a designer review your design (whether logo, WordPress, blog, or other) could possibly help you from missing the mark.

How does Ask a Designer work, and is it really free? It’s super easy—almost like designers had a hand in it! Know what I mean? First, you go to the website or app and enter your question. Next Ask a Designer will assign your question to the appropriate type of designer in their network. Within 48 hours, they’ll get back to you with feedback or an answer to your design question.

While Ask a Designer is available to anyone to use, the website suggests it is especially helpful for developers, teams, junior designers, and business and product owners. They suggest, “Think of us as peer-review in your pocket.” The team at Ask a Designer will provide feedback on specific projects such as websites, logos, and portfolios, as well as answer general questions.

Examples of questions on their website give a good idea of the scope of questions they’ll answer, and include the type of feedback they provide. Sample questions include:

• “How do I choose colors for dark mode?”
  • “I’d love feedback on a logo for a restaurant.”
  • “I’m an industrial design student and I’d like to move into automotive design. What are some resources that can get me to where I need to be?”
  • “Please send me some feedback on [website link].”
  • “How can I use my brand fonts on my website?”
  • “I’m a full stack software engineer. Are there any resources you could suggest for me to level up my design or UX skills?”

Ask a Designer is new, and so they currently list 2 design experts, each with 20 or more years of experience in their fields. They promise to add more “desig-nerds” soon. It may sound too good to be true, but from what they state on their website, this expert design review service is free. Considering the other excellent tools out there with some free components out there for business, it is possible that this is true. Whether they will add a more in-depth paid version is yet to be seen. In any case, it’s worth trying out the app or website for your burning design questions and reviews.

Business Marketing

6 tips to easily market your side hustle

(BUSINESS MARKETING) It can be hard to stand out from the crowd when you’re starting a new side hustle. Here are some easy ways to make your marketing efforts more effective.

side hustle marketing

Side hustles have become the name of the game, and especially during these turbulent times, we have to get extra creative when it comes to making money. With so many of us making moves and so much noise, it can be hard to get the word out and stand out when sharing your side hustle.

Reuben Jackson of Big Think shared five ways that you can market your side hustle (we added a sixth tip for good measure), and comment with your thoughts and ideas on the subject:

1. Referrals: Don’t Be Afraid to Ask!
    If you’re going to make a splash, you have to be willing to ask for favors. Reach out to your network and ask them to help spread the word on your new venture. This can be as simple as asking your friends to share a Facebook post with information that refers them to your page or website. Word of mouth is still important and incredibly effective.
  2. Start Where You Are
    Immediately running an expensive ad right out of the gate may not be the most effective use of your (likely) limited funds. Use the resources you do have to your advantage – especially if you’re just testing things out to see how the side hustle goes in the real world. You can do this by creating a simple, informational landing page for a small fee. Or, if you’re not looking to put any money into it right away, create an enticing email signature that explains what you do in a concise and eye-catching way. Check out these tools to create a kickin’ email signature.
  3. Gather Positive Reviews
    If you’ve performed a service or sold a product, ask your customers to write a review on the experience. Never underestimate how many potential customers read reviews before choosing where to spend their money, so this is an incredibly important asset. Once a service is completed or a product is sold, send a thank you note to your customer and kindly ask them to write a review. Be sure to provide them with links to easily drop a line on Yelp or your company’s Facebook page.
  4. Be Strategic With Social
    It’s common to think that you have to have a presence on all channels right away. Start smaller. Think about your demographic and do some research on which platforms reach that demographic most effectively. From there, put your time and energy into building a presence on one or two channels. Post consistently and engage with followers. After you’ve developed a solid following, you can then expand to other platforms.
  5. Give Paid Marketing A Shot
    Once you’ve made a dollar or two, try experimenting with some Facebook or Twitter ads. They’re relatively cheap to run and can attract people you may not have otherwise had a chance to reach out to. Again, the key is to start small and don’t get discouraged if these don’t have people knocking your door down; it may take trial and error to create the perfect ad for your hustle.
  6. Go Local
    Local newspapers and magazines are always looking for news on what local residents are doing. Send an email to your town/city’s journal or local Patch affiliate. Let them know what you’re up to, offer yourself for an interview, and give enticing information. The key is doing this in a way that your hustle is seen as beneficial to the public, and is not just an ad.