What Separates the Rookie Realtors From the Pros?

What separates the Rookies From the Pros?

There are many things that separate the rookie agents from the pros. One of the things I notice is how they each manage their time on the job. If someone calls a rookie and asks to see a listing, they drop what they are doing, change their schedule if necessary and go do it, even when the listing is not their own. That doesn’t sound bad on the surface but if you look at the big picture it is a bad habit to get into. I have never lost a dime or an opportunity by telling a prospect that I don’t have any openings today. If they really want to work with me they will wait, and I am worth the wait.

We sometimes get into thinking that customer service is about giving up an afternoon off because someone wants something. As the rookie agents business grows he or she is in danger of burning out as the demands keep coming and he or she keeps responding. The more clients we work with the more demands and eventually we can’t do it all. We end up being able to serve fewer clients and ultimately make less money because of it. We do need to have some flexibility but we also have tasks that need to be completed everyday if we want to keep our business’s humming and growing. Being a great Realtor takes more than just being available.

The professionals

The Pros, schedule vacations and days off. They are there for their spouses and children. They know that their business is not about the potential of making a quick buck on a holiday because some stranger happens to be in town and wants to see a property now. They are in the business for the long haul. Being available just isn’t enough anyway. There doesn’t seem to be an exact correlation between how many hours worked and how much income is earned. There are always more demands and always something to do, and we can work smarter instead of harder.

What is an emergency anyway? Is it an emergency when someone calls and says they have been thinking about selling and they want you to come over and look at the place today? Will you lose the contract if you are booked and it will have to wait a couple of days? I honestly think my clients have more respect for me because they know that I am busy and not just sitting by the phone waiting for them to call to go house hunting. When they have respect for me my job is far more enjoyable, and easier too.

I have been known to juggle a bit or squeeze someone in but it is usually because I have a day coming up with no appointments and I want to keep it that way. People who pick up the phone and call random agents when they want to see a home often do not make very good clients. They are the same people who hop from realtor to realtor and pick the agent of convince who is in the right place at the right time. I am not the right agent for them. They will make me work hard and will only be loyal as long as I can accommodate their every whim, which isn’t very long because I have other clients.

More than availability

Most experienced agents have much more to offer than availability, most rookies have little more to offer than availability. There is always that story about the agent who got a million dollar deal because they answered the phone on thanksgiving. It does happen but not often enough so that it is worth sacrificing every thanksgiving just in case. Rookies are taught that they need to be responsive. We all need to be responsive but working with out a plan and jumping from one emergency to another is not the way to grow a business. The behavior will limit business growth, and make what can be a great job a living hell.

Some of the rookies have been in business for many years. They will never move beyond the rookie stage until they learn to take charge of their schedules and their lives. They also jeopardize their relationships with their spouses and families, while limiting the growth of their businesses. They can’t keep promises or honor commitments because when business calls they just leave other responsibilities. Who wants to be married to someone who puts work before family? Who wants to work with a spouse who never stops and does not put any value on personal time or relationships? Does a good parent miss a little league game because a client suddenly decideds they need to see a home now?

Just say when

It is easy to take charge. Just tell the caller when you will be available. If the potential client moves on, trust me you would have not wanted them for a client or have been able to serve them anyway. It is OK to say no to potential clients who are too demanding. It is in your own best interests to do so. One bad client can ruin a day, or even a week and make it much harder to run a business or serve other clients. While you run out to show that one prospect you may never see again, someone else’s listing, consider what you could have been doing with that time. Often what you could have been doing, or should have been doing was a better way to generate revenue. Unfortunately this only sinks in after you showed the home and the client moves on.

Plan ahead, be strategic, have a schedule. Get your work done, have fun and schedule time off. Be there in the here and now for the people who need you. Reward yourself for working hard and take a day or even an afternoon off for the heck of it. Being available is not what it takes to be a professional Realtor, it is how rookies get started because they have plenty of time but no business. Don’t limit your job and your life by being always and forever available. Being available won’t make you richer, it will just make you tired.

Full time REALTOR and licensed broker with Saint Paul Home Realty Realty in St. Paul, Minnesota. Author of StPaulRealEstateBlog.com, Columnist for Inman News and an avid photographer.

1. Rob Aubrey

March 26, 2008 at 5:38 am

Well said T. I remember a trainer saying that the freedom comes from a very tight and rigid schedule.

You are so right about the come and meet me now people. You can have them, they typically have no respect for anyone or anything that is one inch past their nose.

When you have a plan and a schedule you have predictability.

I teach newer agents that I am never rejected. Of course they all lok at me with the deer in the headlights look.

Then I go on to explain
    If I am to work with someone they must be;
    Nice
    Willing to follow my procedure
    Follow my schedule ( i am flexible when for their work schedule, not their social schedule)
    They must be motivated and they must meet me at my office (buyers) the first time

If they do not fit the above I do not work with them. Therefore I reject them, they do not reject me.

March 26, 2008 at 6:28 am

Teresa, this is excellent. Busy agents can drop everything and run out anyway. Rookies can. Honestly everytime I have dropped what I was doing to meet someone it was a disaster. Once a lady on my daughers basketball team called, she had to see me RIGHT NOW. So I went, listed their house, got an offer the first person that looked at it and had to deal with psycho woman the whole transaction.

That was about 7 years ago and I learned a hard lesson. If they are demanding upfront, that is what they will be the entire time.

Lesson learned…

3. Teresa Boardman

March 26, 2008 at 6:40 am

Rob – I like to go one step further, I won’t work with anyone that I don’t feel like I can trust. I don’t think the general public gets that we can be taken advantage of and we sometimes do need to protect ourselves.

Missy – at least you made some money. The scenario you describe often does not result in revenue just in missing family time or messing up the rest of the day. Took me about four years in the business to learn the truth about jumping every time someone asks me to. Had to be burned a couple of times before I really got it.

4. Mike Farmer

March 26, 2008 at 9:26 am

I’ve been much more selective the past few years, especially with listings. I refuse to list just naything that comes along. I will list a good property if it makes sense financially, otherwise I’ll pass.

I carried a third of the listings I usually carry last year and had a more financially successful year.

5. Mike Farmer

March 26, 2008 at 9:29 am

or, I should have said — “last year I carried a third of the listings I usually carry”

And, by not carrying less productive listings I had more time for chocolate.

6. Chris Shouse

March 26, 2008 at 10:09 am

Excellent post Teresa I have been there done that dropping everything. It makes life so much more pleasant when you schedule and not panic thats the feeling you get panic you are going to miss the $$$. Maybe you also feel a little guilt because you are suppose to be in the service industry.

7. Teresa Boardman

March 26, 2008 at 11:30 am

Chris – That idea of Guilt because we are in a customer service industry is just wrong. customer service is not about constant availability. Doctors are also in the customer service industry and they save lives, they have office hours, but most don’t work seven days a week and they play golf. They handle life and death emergencies, but real estate is not a life and death emergency.

Mike – anything that increases chocolate consumption time should be embraced by our industry and by the general public. I walk from listings almost every week. It just means I have fewer listings but my sales will remain about the same.

8. Christine Rich

March 26, 2008 at 1:13 pm

New voice here — from a rookie in business less than a year. I just had to interject today, because my very first transaction was just like the ones you are all warning about, and I learned my lesson big time. We at least got to settlement but it was heck getting there. This customer (not client) came running into the office asking to get a ride to a listing. Well, I was the only agent there at that moment, and so took it on as a learning experience, and it was. Never again. As a rookie, though, it takes mucho confidence not to do such things.

By the way, if any of you read Seth Godin’s blog (https://sethgodin.typepad.com), you ought to do so today. He’s on the same wavelength.

9. Collene

March 26, 2008 at 1:17 pm

Very well written article on our industry’s customer service.

This is the age old delima that we all face …do I respond quickly…YES. Do I accomodate…Maybe or if you have the time…we each have to be accessible but we do not have to disrupt our schedules unduly. I think we have all done it when we have been “hungry”. Do I like doing it …No. I try to get them to match my schedule and this usually gives me a chance e-mail them or call and visit with them a little further to get more information.

10. Jonathan Dalton

March 26, 2008 at 2:12 pm

And this comes on a day when I have a listing appointment in 19 minutes scheduled two hours ago in haste. Though to the plus, it forced me to push out a buyer who has looked at a home seven times and wants to see it an eighth. “Can’t you have an assistant show it to us now?” Unfortunately, no. You need to give me some notice.

Today aside, I’ve abandoned most pop-up showings.

11. Teresa Boardman

March 26, 2008 at 3:00 pm

Collene – even when agents are hungry they still need to keep focused and not waste time running after anyone who calls.

Jonathan – Had a similar situation with a listing appointment last week. Ended up asking them to wait two days. I was very tired and busy when they contacted me. Met with them two days later, last Saturday, they signed the contract and it goes on the market Monday. I think I did a better job with them and even in looking out for their best interests because I was well rested and not rushed during the appointment. I had time to prepare and felt confident about the prices I came up with.

12. Sean Purcell

March 26, 2008 at 5:54 pm

Teresa,

Great post. When I was a young originator I was given some very good advice by a coach I had at the time. He said, “I separate my home from my work and my work from my home… and thereby stay married to both.”

What is amazing is how difficult it is to engage agents in time management. Now that I am doing the coaching I have a lot of opportunity. I will almost always ask any group I am speaking in front of if they use time blocking and the answer is roughly 1 in 10. (Most use To Do lists which, as I explain at the time, is not time management; it is firefighting.)

Time Management is by far the most important workshop we offer agents, but do you know how many sign up on their own? Hint: it’s less than one. 🙂 Everyone wants the sizzle and ignores their core. The only way I can get people to attend something this important is to sex up the name. Lately I am thinking The Millionaire Maker- Learn the Secret Four Letter Word to Success (of course, the word is: time)

13. Jamie Geiger

March 26, 2008 at 8:27 pm

Great post and oh so true. I have been guilty as a rookie of running to show a listing and as you stated -the people that expect this reaction are not loyal and are agent hoppers. In fact I had people call me Easter Sunday wanting to see a listing and I told them I would be happy to schedule an appointment for Monday. I figure if they are serious buyers they will call me to schedule an appt.

14. Jim Duncan

March 26, 2008 at 8:56 pm

I think that running after any and everyone who calls tends to (and leads to) the devaluing and perceived valuing of what we do.

Great post.

15. Bob

March 26, 2008 at 9:45 pm

Sean, the master of time management in this business is in your backyard – Gregg Neuman. He would make a great interview for you.

16. ines

March 26, 2008 at 10:00 pm

AMEN!!!

17. Sean Purcell

March 26, 2008 at 10:09 pm

Bob,

Thanks for the head’s up! I will see if he’ll agree to a phone interview and post it. I will keep you updated.

18. Joshua Ferris

March 26, 2008 at 11:21 pm

A truly magnificent read. You’ve managed to pack in quality advice and eloquent writing which is no small feat. This is why I subscribe to AG! 🙂

19. Lisa Heindel

March 27, 2008 at 1:58 am

Unfortunately, this seems to be a lesson that we all have to teach ourselves. Hopefully, it only takes being stood up or abandoned by a potential client once or twice to learn that you have to be in control of your own schedule or it will just wear you down. When I was a rookie, with no appointments scheduled for the day, it seemed like a “win” to be able to add one to my calendar. Now, I’m much more guarded about my available time and offer options that fit my schedule as well as the clients.

20. Bill Lublin

March 27, 2008 at 2:50 am

Teresa : Great post – I am one of those nuts who always kept the cell phone on and answered it at bizarre times because I figured it was the way to give great service – until my wife pointed out that I was not a heart surgeon and no one was going to die if a call had to wait a little while to be returned – You’re so right that there has to be a balance –
    My worst choice was the one time I ever went in to the office on a Saturday night (during an earlier recession) to work on a deal with a buyer who “couldn;t make it any other time” – Business was reallt tough (worse then now) my som was really young – and I really needed the transaction – Long story short – it was a long time consuming waste – and I never did that agin – and my business (during good times and bad) endured and grew –
    And on the more important topic of chocolate – I’m thinking it should be declared either a food group or a vegetable si that it might reach the appropriate stature in the food community – What’s your opinion? (And where do you fall in the dark chocolate versus milk chocolate controversy?)

21. Teresa Boardman

March 27, 2008 at 5:10 am

Bill – I have my blackberry programed to turn it self off every night at 8:00 PM and on at 6:30 AM. On the weekends it comes on at 8:00 in the morning and off at 5:00 in the evening. I do this so that I don’t throw it at a wall or something.

About the chocolate. I wrote a Friday post about it and some of my clients saw it. Yesterday I went to write an offer for some buyers and met them at a local coffee shop. They brought me a chocolate egg to munch on while I was writing the offer. It just doesn’t get any better than that. Chocolate, great coffee and two of the most wonderful clients I have ever had the privilege to work with. Made me think about this post and how I only want to work with people who understand chocolate. 🙂

Jim – you make a great point about value. That might even be an entire AG post. 🙂

Sean – I tried time blocking and found it to be too structured of an approach for me. I have a kind of creative bent and it just messes me up, as in if I don’t feel like writing I can’t. What I do is plan each week and schedule work times, and tasks that need to be completed. I also stick in some things that I want to do that are fun or relaxing. When I get everything done, which I sometimes do, the rest of the week is mine. 🙂

22. Toby & Saide

March 27, 2008 at 10:17 am

I’m right in the middle of this right now. I’m realizing that I need to keep business moving, but that without spending time with my wife – why does it matter?

I used to feel guilty for pushing a client back a day, or saying “I’m packed full on Saturday, can we do Sunday or Monday?” Now I realize that in this market being “busy” is a very-good sign to your clients.

23. Toby & Saide

March 27, 2008 at 10:18 am

just not too much “busy” which makes it look like you are ignoring them.

24. maggiechandler

March 27, 2008 at 5:08 pm

totally agree. sometimes there is a serious buyer and a genuine sense of urgency but in almost all cases where the public…and other agents….are so demanding, it results in either no transaction or a super difficult person to work with. the message i get from a demanding buyer or seller who wants you to be available right now is that they have no respect for you and think a lot of themselves.

25. Cyndee Haydon

March 27, 2008 at 9:21 pm

Teresa – When someone shared the idea of real time voice mail – I saw how liberating it was and people actually valued me more – knowing what I was doing, when I would call back and that when I was with them I would be focused too. I agree – sometimes wanting to give amazing service by being available actually works against us and our perceived value.

Basic tips on how to handle common (and ridiculous) interview questions

(EDITORIAL) There will always be off the wall questions in an interview, but what is the point of them? Do interviewers expect quick, honest, or deep and thought out answers?

interview

We’ve all been asked (or know of friends who have been) some ridiculous interview questions:

• What type of fruit would you be in a smoothie and why?
  • If you were stuck on a deserted island, what is one item that you couldn’t live without?
  • Could you tell us a joke?

Sound familiar? You may have worried about stumbling in your response, but the reality is, you will receive questions in an interview that you may not know the answer to. Many of us sweat bullets preparing for interviews, trying to think through every possible scenario and every question we might be asked. Usually the hardest part about these questions is simply that you cannot prepare for them. So how do you approach questions like these?

First and foremost, you have to be comfortable with the uncomfortable and do your best to answer them in the moment. Interviewers are not expecting you to know the answer to these question. Instead, they are literally looking to see how you handle yourself in a situation where you may not know the answer. Would you answer with the first thing that comes to mind? Would you ask for more information or resources? What is your thought process and justification for answering this question? Please know that how you answer this particular question is not usually a deal-breaker, but how you handle yourself can be.

Now, with more common questions, even though some can  still feel ridiculous, you have the opportunity to practice.

“What are your strengths and weaknesses?”

They want to be able to see that you have confidence and know your strengths – but also that you are human and recognize where you may have areas of improvement, as well as self-awareness. This isn’t a trick question per se, but it is an important one to think through how you would answer this in a professional manner.

If you’re not feeling super confident or know how to answer the strength question, it may be worth asking your friends and family what they think. What areas of business or life do they feel comfortable coming to ask you about? Were there subjects in school or work projects that you picked up really quickly? This may help identify some strengths (and they can be general like communication or project management.) One great way to delve in to your strengths is to take the CliftonStrengths Test.

“Your CliftonStrengths themes are your talent DNA. They explain the ways you most naturally think, feel and behave.” It gives you your top 5 strengths (unique to you), as well as a detailed report on how those work together and amongst groups. Per the research from Gallup, they say time is better spent on growing your strengths than trying to overcome your weaknesses.

The thing with the “What is your weakness?” question is that you cannot say things like “I really cannot get up in the morning!” or “I absolutely hate small talk!” – even though those may be true for you. They are looking for a more thoughtful answer demonstrating your self-awareness and desire to grow and learn.

They know you’re human, but the interviewer is looking for what you’re doing to address your weakness. An example of a response may be, “I have struggled with advanced formulas in Excel, but have made sure to attend regular workshops and seek out opportunities to practice more functionality so that I can improve in this area”. Another example might be, “I have a very direct type of communication style and I have learned that sometimes, I need to let the other person share and speak more before I jump to a decision.” Many times you can also find some great insights in self-assessment tests too (like DISC, Myers-Briggs, Enneagram for examples).

“Why do you want to work for this company?”

Let’s be real. Companies want people that want to work there. They want you to be interested in their products/service because that usually means you will be a happier employee. You should be able to answer this question by doing some company research, (if any) drawing from your personal experience with the company, or getting “insider insight” from a friend or colleague who works there and can help you understand more about what it’s like to be employed by that company.

“Where do you see yourself in five years?”

All companies have goals and plans to make progress. They ask this question to see if you, a potential future employee, will have goals that align with theirs. Jokingly, we are all curious about how people answered this question back in 2015…but in all seriousness, it is worth asking yourself and thinking through how this company or role aligns with your future goals. This question is similar to the weaknesses question in that you still have to remain professional. You don’t want to tell them that you want to work there so you can learn the ins/outs to then go start your own (competitive) company.

Take a few minutes to think about what excites you about this job, how you can grow and learn there, and maybe one piece of personal (hope to adopt a dog, travel to India, buy a home) but it doesn’t have to be anything super committal.

When it comes to behavioral interview questions, these are also much easier to prepare for. You can take out your resume, review your experience, and write out 3 examples for the following scenarios:

• Handled a difficult person or situation
    • Decided steps (or pulled together resources) to figure out a problem/solution that was new to your team or organization
    • Brought a new idea to the table, saved expenses and/or brought in revenue – basically how you made a positive impact on the organization

These are very common questions you’ll find in an interview, and while interviewers may not ask you exactly those questions verbatim, if you have thought through a few scenarios, you will be better conditioned to recall and share examples (also looking at your resume can trigger your memory). Bring these notes with you to the interview if that makes you feel more comfortable (just don’t bring them and read them out loud – use it as a refresher before the interview starts).

Practicing is the best way to prepare, but there’s always a chance that you’ll get a question you might not know the answer to. Do your research and consider asking friends (or family) about how they’ve handled being in a similar situation. Ultimately,  you have to trust yourselves that you will be able to rise to the occasion and answer to the best of your ability, in a professional manner.

Whatever you do, please also have questions prepared for your interviewers. This is a great opportunity to help you decide if this is a right fit for you (projects, growth opportunity, team dynamics, management styles, location/travel, what they do for the company/what are they proud of/how did they choose to work here). Never waste it with “Nope, I’m good” as that can leave a bad final impression.

Be yourself, or be Batman? A simple trick to boost your self-confidence

(OPINION / EDITORIAL) “If you can’t be yourself, be Batman.” We’ve heard it before, but is there a way that this mentality can actually give you self-confidence?

Batman symbol has long been a way to boost self-confidence.

The joke with scary movies is that the characters do stupid things, and so you scream at them. No you dumdums, don’t go FURTHER into the murder circus. Put down the glowing idol of cursed soda gods and their machine gun tempers. Stop it with the zombie dogs. STOP IT WITH THE — WHAT DID I JUST TELL YOU?

We do this as the audience because we’re removed from the scene. We’re observing, birds eye view imbued ducklings, on our couches, and with our snacks. Weird trick for horror movies to play — makes us feel smart, because we’re not the ones on meat hooks.

But if a zombie crashed through our window, like RIGHT NOW, the first thing we’re going to do doesn’t matter, because that thing is going to be stupid. So so stupid. You can’t believe how stupid you’ll act. Like, “I can’t leave behind my DONUT” stupid, as a zombie chomps your arm that was reaching for a bear claw you weren’t even really enjoying to begin with. “Oh no my DOCUMENTS I can’t leave without my DOCUMENTS.”

There’s a layer of distinction between those two instances — removed versus immersed. And really, this colors a lot of our life. Maybe all of our life. (Spoiler: It is all of our life.)

It’s Imposter Syndrome in overdrive — the crippling thought that you’re going to fail and be found out. And you tell yourself that all the little missteps and mistakes and mis…jumps are entirely your fault. Feedback loops reiterates, and then you get paralyzed. And man, what a time to be alive — what with the world on fire — to start up a self-deprecation engine shame machine. No way our self-confidence is suffering now, right?

The point is: You — as a being — experiencing things first hand is the perfect time to see your shortcomings. You can’t help but do it. You are living in your skeleton meat mecha human suit, and all the electronics in your head strangely remember all the times you struggled. And weirdly, if you look at someone else in the exact same situation you were just in, you suddenly have this powerful insight and awareness. It happens naturally. It’s why you think I would never head on down to the basement in a creepy mansion. Watch any cooking competition show to see this in action. Armchair quarterbacks, hindsight 2020. It’s all the same.

But when it’s just you and you’re doing things in real time? You lose focus, you stumble, and you wonder why it’s suddenly so hard to make rice, or why you fell for the really obvious fake punt.

So where does that leave you? How do you solve this problem? There are ways. But the journey is arduous and hectic and scary and difficult. Time tempers your soul over and over, you harden in ways that build you up, and you become better. The process is ages old.

I bet you’d like at least… I dunno, there’s gotta be a small trick, right? Life has secrets. Secrets exist. Secrets are a thing. Let’s talk about one to boost your self-confidence.

Stop seeing things in first person, and instead, talk to yourself in the third person. Yes, just like George did in that episode of Seinfeld. Don’t say, “I need to finish the project today.” Say “Bob needs to finish the project today.” If your name is Bob, I mean. Substitute in your name. In effect, you are distancing yourself from the situation at hand, as you begin to view it from outside yourself.

Studies have shown that doing this causes a fascinating side effect — an odd insulating barrier that can give someone just enough distance from the problem at hand, which in turn lets someone more calmly examine the situation. Once that is achieved, a plan can be written and executed with great results.

There’s some research demonstrating this concept, and as truly crazy as it sounds, marked improvement in behavior has been measured when participants are told to think of themselves as a different person. It’s like the “fake it ’til you make it” principle — suddenly you’re sort of cheering on this other person, because you want them to succeed. It’s just that in this case, the other person is still you.

I’ve heard the concept also said that “your current self can give your future self an easier life if you work hard now.” It seems like distancing functions on that wavelength — that by thinking you are supporting some other entity (and even when that entity is still you), some empathetic mechanisms spring into play, and your natural desire to see success rebounds back onto yourself. This is you eating your cake, yet something still having cake.

So that’s magic in and of itself, right? I want you to try it. Don’t think in terms of what you have to do, but what you watching yourself will do. All these fun tiny benefits concurrently happen — encouragement, pressure removal, controlled thought, drive, momentum, and motivation. It’s all there — a trail mix built out of emotions and psychological buffs. And they’ll all fire off at once and you’ll start noticing how much better you feel.

Here’s the best part — we can take this further. At least two different studies have shown with children that thinking of an alter ego and then distancing creates even stronger outcomes. Now we’re not just hyping ourselves up — we’re hyping up an impressive figure. Batman is already taking down jerks. So what if you say you are the night and combine that with self removal? Even in children, the conclusion was fascinating. When they were given a menial task to complete, those who were told to believe they were Batman had an improvement of 23% in focus and productivity over a group who was given no directive. Even without the consequences of adult life and its inherent complexities, children naturally showcased that they work harder if they undergo an alter ego transformation. Now you’re not just there for yourself, you’re there for Batman himself.

“But that’s just children.” Ok, well, it works in adults too. Beyoncé and Adele would psych themselves up by creating onstage personas that were confident, successful, fearless versions of themselves. It’s an act within an act, with a performer further elevating themselves away from reality through the substitution of a personality built and engineered for success. Set aside that these are powerful, fierce, intimidating entertainers in their own right; the focus here is that they also used this mental trick, and it worked.

(There’s an aside here that I think is worth mentioning — in the midst of performing to a crowd, you are 100% in control, and I think this simple realization would help scores of people with their fear of public speaking; a concept to write about another day.)

Distilled down: If you think you’re a hero, you’ll act like one. Easier said than done, but give it a try by taking yourself out of the equation, even if for a moment. You’re not changing who you are so much as you are discovering the pieces of innate power you already had. You aren’t erasing yourself — you’re finding the hidden strength that’s already there. Having a way to kickstart this is perfectly fine.

The ultimate goal with all of this is to build the discipline that lets you begin to automatically engage this mode of heightened ability – that you’ll naturally adopt the good parts into life without the need for ramping up. Armed with that, you’re unstoppable.

Life — as a series of interactions and decisions — can be gamed, to a degree, with tiny and small shifts in perspective. Dropping a surrogate for yourself gives you enough room to have the chance to take everything in, and augmenting this concept further with the thought of having an alter ago creates even wilder possibilities. Psychologists are finding that this sidestep phenomenon can potentially help in different areas — improved physical health, learning how to better handle stress, emotional control, mastering anxiety, and a host of others.

So put on a mask, and then put on a whole new self. It’s almost Halloween anyway.

Don’t forget about essential workers in a post-COVID world (be kind)

(OPINION / EDITORIAL) As the world reopens, essential workers deserve even more of our respect and care, remembering that their breaks have been few and far between.

Tired essential workers wearing an apron leans against the doorframe of a cafe, eyes closed.

Anxiety about returning to work post-COVID-19 is real. Alison Green, of Ask A Manager, believes “much of that stems from a break in trust in the people and institutions that have shown they can’t be counted on to protect us.” Green also goes on to remind us that a lot of people don’t have the luxury of returning to the workplace – the essential workers who never left the workplace. The grocery store clerks, janitors, garbage collectors, and healthcare providers, just to name a few. As the country reopens, we have to be more sensitive to these essential workers, who often are left out of the discussion about safety, work norms, and benefits.

Essential workers got lip service during the pandemic

At the start of the pandemic, the essential workers were hailed as heroes. We appreciated the grocery store workers who tried to keep the shelves stocked with toilet paper. We thanked the healthcare workers who kept working to keep people healthy and to take care of our elderly. I remember being more appreciative of the person who delivered my mail and the guy who came and picked up the trash each week. Now that the pandemic has been with us for more than a year, these workers are still doing their jobs, just maybe not so tirelessly.

Some of these workers don’t have sick days, let alone vacation days for self-care, but they are still making it possible for their community to function while being treated with less than respect. They’ve weathered the pandemic while working in public, worrying about getting sick, dealing with the public who threw tantrums for policies beyond their control, and managing their health while employers didn’t enforce safety measures. I’d hazard a guess that most of the C-level executives didn’t bring in any of their essential employees when writing new policies under COVID-19.

Bring essential workers into the conversation

In many cases, it has been the workers with the least who are risking the most. In Oklahoma, even though Gov. Stitt deemed many industries as essential, those same workers had to wait until Phase 3 to get their vaccine. Please note that elected officials and government leaders were eligible under Phase 2 to get their vaccine. Society pays lip service to the essential workers, but in reality, these jobs are typically low paying jobs that must be done, pandemic or not. In my small rural town, a local sheriff’s deputy contracted COVID-19. The community came together in fundraising efforts to pay his bills. It’s sad that a man who served the community did not have enough insurance to cover his illness.

As your office opens up and you talk to employees who are concerned about coming back to the office, don’t forget about the ones who have been there the entire time. Give your essential workers a voice. Treat their anxiety as real. Don’t pay lip service to their “heroism” without backing it up with some real change. As offices open up to a new normal, we can’t forget about the essential workers who did the jobs that kept society going.