Dear Ginny WTH,
I’m a loan officer who just made a move to a new brokerage. The good thing about the new brokerage is they have made a name for themselves in a certain niche market. The not so good thing is they don’t really have a full compendium of marketing materials for loan officers. If you were advising them, what would you say they should have at a minimum for loan officer marketing?
LO Looking for Advice
Loan officers have to market to two audiences: consumers and real estate agents in essence doubling their marketing efforts. If you are like most loan officers, you work directly with consumers that you get connected with from a variety of sources and want to stay in contact with (past clients) or want to incubate to a sale (prospects). You also likely work with real estate agents and their buyers and need to stay in front of local real estate agents that can give you referral business.
Here’s a short list of what I think a mortgage brokerage should supply to help you with both of those efforts.
- Company web site – should provide a way for consumers to understand who and what the brokerage is and does; information to instill confidence about the brokerage, daily rates, explanation and education around loan programs, loan officer search function and at least one lead generator, i.e. rate watch, refi watch or other opt-in mechanism to drive leads to loan officers.
- Loan officer web site – an offshoot of the company’s web site that has the same functionality as the company site (daily rates, loan program education, etc.) but personalized for you, i.e. has a spot for a personal bio, photo and other contact information, maybe allows you to place your own links and has a lead capture mechanism where you can personally capture leads and/or place clients and prospects for email updates.
- Email program – that lets you plug in past clients and prospects and automatically send formatted email messages. Bonus: if they have a library of documents and short messages you can cut and paste into the program.
- Direct marketing program – an avenue to some print pieces that can be customized with your personal information. Bonus: if they have a digital online print shop that can be self administered and automated monthly, i.e. 12-month postcard, newsletter or other print program.
- Formatted program flyers – usually these are program flyers that educated and inform the consumer about different types of loans available through the company that you can access and personalize. Bonus: these are available and customizable in an online PDF format that you can print and/or email.
- Formatted rate sheets – a no brainer, but the company should have a way for you to access rate sheets online, that are formatted and branded which you can customize with your personal information.
Real estate agent marketing:
- Formatted open house flyers with rate scenarios – these are the ones you can use in conjunction with a real estate agent at open houses. Bonus: your brokerage provides something you can access online and customize with both your personal information and your agent’s.
- Formatted program flyers – which are targeted to real estate agents and explain new or existing loan programs and how they benefit the real estate agent and their buyers.
- Other joint marketing materials –direct mail pieces, email messages, newsletters and the like that you can co-brand with your real estate agent(s). Bonus: these are available through a digital print shop that you can order on demand.
Starting with these basics is perfect.