Silly

Goats, Agent Genius, Twitter and Me

perkins.jpg

I’m back. Maybe you didn’t notice I was gone. But I was for a bit, aside from comments to try and defend my unique methods of SEO. Reading the thread from Teresa’s post today reminded me of what I love about Agent Genius. Especially when I take that and combine it with the relative insanity that takes place on Twitter every day.

I’m probably missing a marketing opportunity on Twitter, a chance to make a name for myself through micro-blogging. I believe I’ve proven over the last two days that there’s almost no limit to what I can do or say in 140 characters, should I so choose.

But to be honest, Twitter is a necessary bit of insanity to help lighten the day in what is an extremely difficult business. It’s not even the market that makes it difficult … it’s the daily fight to earn a living when you’re starting every day from scratch. It really does beat being an employee again but it takes a mental toll.

For instance, it only has been over the past week that I decided to shut down my e-mail at 9 p.m. nightly. Odds are highly against me selling a house at that hour so there’s little harm in spending time with the other people in my house. Rumor has it that this is “my family” but I believe that to be unsubstantiated rumor.

Agent Genius often serves as a similar breakwater for me. Yes, there are many articles of importance here. But what I like about the group here is that few of us take ourselves all that freaking seriously. Many of us know as much as those who proclaim to be the experts. Some of us even sell as much or more than the so-called social media experts (not me … I’m too busy running errands and answering phones for Teresa.)

But you don’t see us beating our chests and proclaiming ourselves to be grand poobah of all that is electronic marketing. We know what we know. We share what we know. And then we apply what we know while trying to remain sane.

There are few places in the real estate blogoverse where you’ll see a day-long discussion about tossing salted goats over your shoulder for luck. I’m not sure we need to have a lot of these discussions. But they absolutely help, as the mountain of comments on what was a fairly silly post can attest.

We all go a little crazy sometimes, Mr. Perkins said. This seems to be the place for it. And that’s why I’m still around.

Jonathan Dalton is a Realtor with RE/MAX Desert Showcase in Peoria, Arizona and is the author of the All Phoenix Real Estate blog as well as a half-dozen neighborhood sites. His partner, Tobey, is a somewhat rotund beagle who sleeps 21 hours a day.

1. Teresa Boardman

March 5, 2008 at 5:32 pm

So are you going to explain when the goat dies for the analytical types who read this?

By the way I am still hungrey. Nice jog on the gutters though. Got any chocolate?

2. Jonathan Dalton

March 5, 2008 at 5:35 pm

Chocolate, according to my wife’s favorite movie Down With Love, is little more than a substitute for sex. Which is why I have 15 boxes of Hershey’s bars sitting in my hall closet.

Wait … did I just use my outside voice and not my internal dialogue?

And no. I will not explain why the goat has to die. Just suffice it to say it helps business. It’s not personal, it’s business.

3. Max

March 5, 2008 at 5:39 pm

Jonathan, personally I’m trying to take care of my (non-real estate) emails in the evenings before 10pm or in front of the TV. As far as real estate… it seems to me that early mornings are the best to be emailing clients, plus there is a chance you can get a reply right away (since they check emails at work) or at least the same day.

4. Mariana

March 5, 2008 at 5:51 pm

Favorite Quotes from this Post:

“Twitter is a necessary bit of insanity to help lighten the day in what is an extremely difficult business. It’s not even the market that makes it difficult … it’s the daily fight to earn a living when you’re starting every day from scratch.”

“But what I like about the group here is that few of us take ourselves all that freaking seriously.”

“There are few places in the real estate blogoverse where you’ll see a day-long discussion about tossing salted goats over your shoulder for luck.”

5. Mariana

March 5, 2008 at 5:52 pm

(Oh, and by the way … Here PETA-PETA-PETA …Here PETA-PETA-PETA …)

6. Sarah Cooper

March 5, 2008 at 6:01 pm

I am just loving my feed reader way too much again. Thank you thank you thank you!

(Craving chocolate now, too … )

7. Toby & Saide

March 5, 2008 at 6:06 pm

Why do I have the sudden urge for a Chocolate Gyro?

8. benn

March 5, 2008 at 8:18 pm

It is great to have you back, you were missed.

9. Bonnie Erickson

March 5, 2008 at 8:55 pm

I have people haranguing me to join Twitter . . . It doesn’t take that much time, they all proclaim. Ha! I know better. (Although the comment about goats is sorely testing my resistance to temptation!) It’s hard enough keeping up with the RSS feeds, and writing my blog, and selling and listing houses, and returning e-mails, and babying short sale lenders, and on and on and on. Chocolate, huh? That’s why my honey steals it away as soon as it comes in the house!

10. Kelley Koehler

March 5, 2008 at 11:08 pm

@bonnieerickson that’s the beautiful thing about twitter. you come and go as you please. there is no time requirement. Twitter’s like… like, ah… remember that scene from Monty Python and the Holy Grail when they finally get to Camelot and there’s the big song about the knights of the round table? And then they decide it’s too silly to go there? That’s kinda like twitter – we don’t always have coconuts, but there are killer bunnies and somtimes @daltonsazhomes demands a shrubbery.

11. Chris Shouse

March 5, 2008 at 11:29 pm

Bonnie come on in the water is fine and we do have fun.

12. Jonathan Dalton

March 6, 2008 at 9:24 am

I do?

13. Faina Sechzer

March 6, 2008 at 3:18 pm

Any site where a “few of us take ourselves all that freaking seriously” is good for me. And you just got another follower on Twitter. Sorry:)

Silly

Funny video most real estate professionals can relate to

Have you ever had a buyer that was so enthusiastic about their potential home that they have a list a mile long of requirements? The front door must face east, the windows must be Pella brand, the carpet must be cut pile berber, it must be within two lots of a fire hydrant, needs to have wooden rods in the closet, not metal and of course the exterior paint must be barn red.

You already know what home they need and will love based on their actual needs and you’re going to show them that house, but in the meantime you may end up feeling a bit like the character in this video that is just so funny, we can all relate to (whether about a buyer or otherwise):

Can you relate? Maybe in a former career or if you’re one of our readers that is a designer first and foremost?

Silly

Funniest Realtor parody videos you’ll see all minute, guaranteed!

Who says the phenomenon of funny cat videos and stupid girl falling in a fountain while texting at the mall videos don’t spill over into the real estate world? We’ve highlighted three hilarious real estate videos below that are well worth the ten minutes to watch, even if you’re in the office and have to put headphones on.

Video 1: theagent.tv… the best part is at 2:29… MOVE!

Video 2: I Love You, Man… the best part is the whole clip. If you haven’t seen this horribly inappropriate movie, the lead character is a Realtor. He is awesome.

Video 3: Realtor loves his job. Or something… the best part is at 0:39. Is that the fireplace over there!?

Tell us in comments which video moment caught your eye!

Business Marketing

A pig and a poke (The MLS “Menu”)

This week I actually got hungry reading the MLS and the LA Times real estate ads. Check out these bloopers so you can see what’s currently on the menu. I must warn you, you may want to hit the sauce and trim the fat:

I’m In the Mood For Food

“This hame is well stocked.” (Thank you, Porky Pig.)

“Hear is the glolden egg!” (…Which apparently comes scrambled.)

“Counter w/ new pop and fresh” ( Fat little dough boy included.)

“This one has alla the gravy” (Said Carmella Soprano as she proudly served her baked ziti.)

“You’ll marble when you see this beauty” (Bummer. At least Lot’s wife got to be a condiment.)

“We hamdle REOs” (That’s one way to bring home the bacon.)

Ham Fingers…So The Pork Lingers

“Small pad w/ view of peer” (Why go home when you can sleep at the office?)

“This is not a TIC” (…said Jeff Goldblum’s  hands.)

“This pad in the Hollywood Hills is phat.” (So is your head, Biggie Smalls.)

“Cabinets w/ polished mental inserts” (Listing w/ punch drunk mental idiot.)

“This is a Short Shale” (Say that five times really fast.)

Is It Happy hour Yet?

“Just done finished floored” (Bottle done, finished agent on floor.)

“Cork floors in bar aria” (Methinks the cork was popped several drinks ago.)

“Stunning hammerred doors” (Offered by stumbling hammered dufus.)

“This condonimiun has all the trimmins” (Sauced agent has the tremorrrrs.)

SEX, LIES AND VIDEOTAPE – THE FINALE!

“Bask in the warm sin by the pool” (Yay – party at Charlie Sheen’s  pad!)