Hi, what are you looking for?

The American GeniusThe American Genius

The (very odd and sometimes scary but often interesting) Long Tail of Blogging

So … I was on Google looking for stuff.

(For those of you who do not know what Google is, it is a webpage that you can go to and type in a word or a phrase of something that you want to know more about – a “query”. When you click the search button, a new page pops up with different websites that Google thinks would best answer your query.)

I decide to type in “Greatest Real Estate Agent in Colorado Springs” and I was #1. Yay for me!

I guess that balances out the fact that I am also #1 for the search term “real estate agents suck” … right above the angry Australian Guy.

Advertisement. Scroll to continue reading.

So, it got me thinking about all the random search terms that can lead to me, and other people I know… Not that anyone, but me, would actually SEARCH these terms, but here is what I found:

Another interesting thing I found on Google today:

Apparently, “copy-writers for Pagan magazine will be keeping all the real estate agents company in the seventh circle of hell.” (I found this out when I typed in “sexy real estate blogger.”)

Although there may be some hidden deep “long tail” meaning with this research I did, it really just means that I wasted and entire hour Googling nonsense.

Advertisement. Scroll to continue reading.
Written By

Mariana is a real estate agent and co-owner of the Wagner iTeam with her husband, Derek. She maintains the Colorado Springs Real Estate Connection Blog and is also a real estate technology trainer and coach. Mariana really enjoys helping real estate agents boost their businesses and increase their productivity through effective use of technology. Outside of real estate, blogging and training, she loves spending time with her husband and 2 sons, reading, re-watching Sci-Fi movies and ... long walks on the beach?

1. Vicki Moore

March 7, 2008 at 8:49 pm

Not a wasted hour. An hour of mind-expanding Googledge (Google knowledge).

2. loren nason

March 7, 2008 at 9:20 pm

Those are great. The long tail is ripe for ranking.

Here is a funny one for me.

“Title Rep Cleavage”
    With quotes I am #1
    Without quotes I am #2

3. Dustin

March 7, 2008 at 9:42 pm

You missed my favorite RCG search term: [sexiest real estate agent].

That was a 1 year birthday present from the RE.net and for year 3 (only a week away!!!), I’m thinking we might have to ensure that Ardell wins the greatest real estate agent in the world!. 😉

4. Jay Thompson

March 7, 2008 at 11:37 pm

You missed Phoenix Realtor Stud…

I just wrote a post a few days ago about someone finding my blog by searching “delightfully tacky yet refined real estate”

I have no idea what they were looking for, but they stayed on the IDX search page for awhile!

5. Mariana

March 7, 2008 at 11:52 pm

Vicki – I like that term: “Googledge”

Loren – I dont even want to know why…

Dustin – You must be proud!

Jay – What? Huh? “delightfully tacky yet refined real estate” …omg. That is ME!

6. Dustin

March 8, 2008 at 12:33 am

Mariana: I am so proud of my sexy agents! 😉

7. Sarah Cooper

March 8, 2008 at 6:06 am

Mariana, Google love trapeze in a bedroom (no quotes). And then don’t tell anyone. 🙂

8. Athol Kay

March 8, 2008 at 10:30 am

I still think when Lani ranked #6 on Google for “Austin Hot Wife” was the funniest.

What was so funny was is was so unintentional. She’s in Austin, it’s hot there, she wrote about hot peppers, in Austin, and all on Realtor Wives about being a wife…. hello #6.

9. Teresa Boardman

March 8, 2008 at 11:35 am

my blog also comes up number one for “banks can’t sell real estate”. LOL

10. Mariana

March 8, 2008 at 12:06 pm

Sarah – I am proud of you. Very proud.

Teresa – I would wage a good bet that your blog will come up for all sorts of “interesting” phrases, but that is a great one!

11. Mariana

March 8, 2008 at 6:24 pm

Oh Lani ! I am jealous. I have been trying for YEARS to rank for “Exotic Pimp Zebra Rug” …

12. ARDELL

March 8, 2008 at 10:21 pm

I Googled “Maraina is hysterical” and got your AR post

How to be a Slimey real estate agent

13. Carole Cohen

March 9, 2008 at 12:03 am

Mariana IS hysterical and I bet that comment could have been mine, Ardell LOL. Ok, first I laughed hard and then I got to thinking…….your mind scares the heck outta me 🙂 I’m particularly fond of the sandwich story on Redfin LOL.

My longest longtail on my old blogger blog was for sweet gum trees. Go figure.

14. Mariana

March 9, 2008 at 9:39 am

ARDELL – Great! I pop up for “real estate agents suck” AND “how to be a slimy real estate agent” … I need a new PR manager.

Carole – Scary? Yeah. I have heard that one before. You pop up #2 for “Cleveland Real Estate Rain” …

15. Mariana

March 9, 2008 at 11:33 am

So … I write this post and 2 days later my blog appears on Google Page #1 for “Colorado Springs Real Estate” … FINALLY! Thank you Google!

16. ForexTrader

March 9, 2008 at 10:47 pm

AHHAHAAH… These are so funny. It’s crazy what people will search for sometime and also goes to show that Google isn’t all that smart yet.