Hi, what are you looking for?

The American GeniusThe American Genius

Terrible, Horrible, No Good, Very Bad Service

Or is this GOOD service?

Watch this 30 second video and consider how *you* provide customer service:

h/t to bizplanhacks.com

Advertisement. Scroll to continue reading.

Lani is the COO and News Director at The American Genius, has co-authored a book, co-founded BASHH, Austin Digital Jobs, Remote Digital Jobs, and is a seasoned business writer and editorialist with a penchant for the irreverent.

1. Holly White

June 22, 2008 at 10:50 am

Hilarious!!! You had me all the way up to the last 2 seconds!

2. Mariana Wagner

June 22, 2008 at 1:20 pm

sweet … And a great example of why we should never assume we know what is going on…

3. Lani Anglin-Rosales

June 22, 2008 at 3:19 pm

Holly- no kidding!

@mizzle seriously! I was so irritated and if I were in the store I would have told him to get off the freakin’ phone (and that ringing me up is oh so important)! 😉 Actually, I would have just been huffy, let’s be honest. What a cool video, it’s a little wake up call for me!

4. Matt Wilkins

June 22, 2008 at 4:38 pm

Great video Lani, definately a huge gotcha at the end.

However, it does make you think of how we sometimes interact when out with clients. For most of us our cell phone is our main phone line of contact. At soime point our phones do ring when we are out with clients (for example showing property). My personal solution is to either not answer the call or, if I know its something important, answer and get right to the point as to not time any more time than needed away from my primary task.

Luckily, most of my client do not mind me answering my phone as they realize that I am never too busy to take care of an issue when it arises. However, I have had heard stories where clients feel very upset when their realtors answers ANY phone calls.

5. Glenn fm Naples

June 22, 2008 at 5:41 pm

Good video, but the gas station attendant is not performing the customer service for HIS CUSTOMERS.

When we are with clients our full attention should be devoted to them.

I have not seen a situation in real estate that is so urgent that we need to answer our cellphones, of course, there are family emergencies and they are the ones to answer.

If someone has an example, of an URGENT call in real estate, please share it with us.

6. Bill Lublin

June 22, 2008 at 6:35 pm

Lani – Once again you make me smile – Now that’s service – I notice that the attendant manages to provide everyone with what they need, while balancing all of their needs – The first two customers didn’t need conversation, they needed a service which they got. And the final customer got great service also – in fact way above and beyond!

@Glenn; An urgent call in real estate is one that is time sensitive – I have seen agents lose business because they didn;t respond to the clients needs in what the client deemed a timely fashion. In fact, I had a bank that needed to place a listing place it with another broker because they called while I was away from the hpone, and returned their call 15 minutes later. Don’t know if that’s urgent (for me one piece of business isn’t going to kill me – ) But when I started in the business and needed to feed my family, I would have been very upset at missing the opportunity. However I think the decision to answer or not answer your cell if a personal thing – Me, I answer mine all the time so I’m probably not a good person to ask 😉

7. Vance Shutes

June 22, 2008 at 7:16 pm

Lani,

This has happened to me more times than I care to remember, at most gas stations these days. From now on, I’ll consider the experience in a different light – thanks to the ending of this cute video. :-).

8. Jennifer in Louisville

June 23, 2008 at 4:24 am

I liked the clip. Doing things beyond what is normally expected for your customers – is becoming expected.

9. Michael

June 23, 2008 at 11:34 am

I really like the clip too! I’ve learned that we should not always assume that we understand what is really going on. Thank you so much for this.

10. Larry Yatkowsky

June 23, 2008 at 10:04 pm

#3

*HUFFY* – I could use some of that. Does it come in a can or can I just rub it on?

11. Anne

June 24, 2008 at 7:22 am

Oh my, how funny. Sometimes we just need to smile, and try to assume that when someone appears rude or uncaring, that it has nothing to do with us, but is somethiing else entirely.

12. Michael

June 26, 2008 at 8:33 am

Yes! it is true Anne and I agree with you. Nice Comment.