Two Rants for the Price of One

(Deep breath.)

Perhaps it’s due to my own personal bent, but anytime I see a post explaining … nay … lecturing on how you should operate your blog, what you should and should not post, what topics are allowed and what is taboo all filtered through testament as if the art of real estate weblogging was written not on WordPress but chiseled in stoned … well, I become indignant.

Last season, the director of my son’s soccer club in chiding the rest of us for asking questions and making suggestions said it was insulting that we believed we knew more about the sport than her staff. We never said any such thing. But just because we not know as much as someone else does not mean we don’t know anything at all.

That seems to be where we are and where we return to over and over again in the real estate blogging world – there seem to be a cadre of folks who believe they alone hold the sacred secret of success and the rest of us are mindless dolts.

To which I ask, would you like to learn some Yiddish? Kush meer in toches.

(Yes, Benn, Agent Genius will become the blog of choice for the nation’s Yiddish speakers come hell or high water!)

Some step onto the soapbox in order to push product. Others claim immunity from such mortal concerns, though they still are pushing product – themselves as experts, rather than as real estate professionals as they by their own admission prepare for their next career doing something other than what the rest of us are doing.

High Technorati ranks and heavy traffic are no more indicative of real estate and/or real estate blogging knowledge and success than high placement on Google for Phoenix real estate denotes high levels of sales. You can attract thousands to come watch a demolition derby as easily as you can to watch sprint cars go round and round.

I don’t know what he thought he was doing in making that video, but what it actually communicates is a profound contempt for ordinary people.

Jeff Turner chose another snippet to make the same point in the comments on the “other” dog blog but the irony of the above statement is jaw-dropping. Outside of the bubble blogs, that has become the haven of contempt for everyone without thorough knowledge of Latin. At least until others started writing there.

“Know your audience” is a useless assertion (and looks doubly ludicrous in a lengthy post based partially on the premise that you don’t ever know your audience is.)

Know your audience often is used by those who maintain that you have to blog locally to be successful. You simply don’t. The Phoenix Real Estate Guy is proof. Hell, I’m proof (and I have the escrows to prove it.)

Hyper-local blogging as a means to absolute success is a myth.

Like any other type of blogging, for every person for which it works there are 10 more who’ll fail miserably in the effort because they don’t understand who they’re really going to attract to their blog.

In general, real estate websites attract buyers far more than sellers. (No need to explain how many listings you have off of your site – I have, too. But I maintain the number of buyers generated is higher.)

Buyers want to know about areas, about schools, about things to do – but usually on a macro scale. This is the genius of what Teresa does in St. Paul. She shows you the city – literally – in all of her photographs. But she also writes about topics that are larger than just St. Paul even if she relates them back to the Twin Cities.  Others do the same.

But in writing strictly about items of interest to those in a given neighborhood, only those in that neighborhood will care. Your average buyer wants to know what there is to do in general; a farmer’s market from 10 – 2 at the corner of State and Main probably isn’t going to create the a-ha moment that causes them to move to your city. And finding it on your blog doesn’t mean they believe enough in your knowledge of real estate to hire you.

An extensive community directory does not a great real estate agent make. And in some cases it can be detrimental. When I see posts celebrating the opening of a new Chick-Fil-A, my first thought is “what kind of cow town is this?” I mean, it’s a really good chicken sandwich but this is the height of excitement?

(The above does not apply to In N Out Burger, which actually is worth the excitement … it’s helping my cardiologist build a home in the Hamptons.)

Having said all this … I’m not saying you can’t have an extreme focus on the local. Maybe it will generate more sellers and if that is your aim, bully for you. But you stand a better than equal chance of losing buyers who are less interested in the opening of the new Cabela’s than they are an agent who can help them not only find a property but manage the escrow in such a manner that results in the least possible headaches.

Writing for any specific audience other than the one sitting in your chair in front of the keyboard only can serve to alienate wider audiences who might have interest in what you’re saying.

I never set out to become Calgary’s choice for Phoenix real estate but it’s worked out that way. Most seemed less interested in the arts and crafts than the nuts and bolts of buying. In my case, they get more of the latter but a little of the former.

Maybe I can’t tell you when the Foothills Elementary PTO is having their annual bake sale. But I think if you’re looking to move here from Maine, you probably don’t care.

Jonathan Dalton is a Realtor with RE/MAX Desert Showcase in Peoria, Arizona and is the author of the All Phoenix Real Estate blog as well as a half-dozen neighborhood sites. His partner, Tobey, is a somewhat rotund beagle who sleeps 21 hours a day.

1. Benn Rosales

December 21, 2007 at 1:50 pm

Thank you J. I knew you could deliver the Yiddish demo- I just knew it…

2. Carey Goldberg

December 21, 2007 at 2:31 pm

The Yiddish reminds me of my childhood

3. Teresa Boardman

December 21, 2007 at 2:37 pm

I have so much to say here, yet I just can’t. I like the post and agree with much of it.

4. Charleston real estate blog

December 21, 2007 at 2:59 pm

Jonathan, I never learned yiddish, my parents kept the meaning from my brother and me but there was one phrase I did get, gay kahkken (spelling unknown).

Dogs sh*t anywhere they want and then we have to pick up after them. It doesn’t seem right.

5. kelley koehler

December 21, 2007 at 4:20 pm

my cowtown doesn’t like you either.

6. Jonathan Dalton

December 21, 2007 at 7:16 pm

Teresa – really? This from the queen of the local blog? (Though I think those who characterize you as such sell you short.)

Kelley – I never said I didn’t like it. Well, at least not in this post. At least I didn’t stick UA Sucks in the Title tag, deserved or not.

For my Yiddish followers, here’s the best curse I can find. Of course if you aren’t fluent in Jewish tradition you’re missing the subtlety of it all:

?? ??? ???? ??? ??? ? ????? ????
    “They should name someone after you already!”

7. Christina Ethridge

December 21, 2007 at 7:29 pm

Hey – I was blogging about Cabela’s because it was such a “to do” around here – plus it shows growth for our area 😉

I totally agree with you about “hyper-local”. Sure, if you live in LA, blogging about your specific city or mega PUD would be beneficial. But for the rest of the country, hyper-local blogging just seems . . . like a waste of time since consumers really want to know about real estate – not the “local PTO bake sale”.

8. Kristal Kraft

December 21, 2007 at 9:06 pm

You are right about Teresa, she is brilliant and real. That’s the secret of her success, the real part is a true attraction to the consumer.

9. Brett Meade

December 22, 2007 at 3:55 pm

10. Jay Thompson

December 22, 2007 at 7:38 pm

“It certainly makes more sense to blog about the issues that matter to home buyers and sellers, rather than writing a press release for a new restaurant. Even if it is an In N Out Burger!”

What follows is just my opinion and I could be wrong. That happened once :). (That’s sarcasm folks, I’m wrong frequently, just ask my wife and kids)

Call me crazy, but I blog about the issues that matter to me. Now since I try to make a living in real estate, what matters to me happens to coincide fairly often with what may matter to buyers and sellers.

But there are other things that matter to me that Joe “Consumer” probably cares less about. And Joe Consumer likely blows right past those posts.

Or maybe not. I’ve had clients ask me about my kids, my pets, heck even my thoughts on college and/or NFL football. How do they even know to ask? Because they read something on my blog about these things.

I wrote a restaurant “review” post just last week. Two people emailed me along the lines of, “Thanks, I’ll try that place, have you tried this one? it’s good.”

Will those people turn into clients? Probably not. Could they? Sure, stranger things have happened. But you know what? I didn’t write that post to get a client, or a “lead” (a word I’m disliking more and more every day). I wrote it because I love that restaurant. It kicks ass, and I wanted to share that with anyone that might care.

You know the best thing about that post? I’ve got two new (to me) places to try out.

That’s pretty cool.

11. Jonathan Dalton

December 22, 2007 at 8:54 pm

As you know, Jay, I break the so-called rules as often as anyone. I can’t say there’s anything wrong with writing about a restaurant; I just had a photo essay on Margaritaville.

Know how much traffic I’ve gotten from the two posts on Margaritaville? If I could parlay that into a Jamaica Mistaica I’d be damn happy.

12. Athol Kay

December 22, 2007 at 11:15 pm

>>I learn WAY more from blogging than from anything else. Sometimes I learn marketing tactics, sometimes I learn about market conditions, often I learn about human nature,and sometimes I even learn about great places to eat.

100% agree Jay

13. Jay Thompson

December 23, 2007 at 12:27 am

“But I’m also not telling would-be bloggers that they have to focus solely on local events at the expense of the greater world of real estate.”

And should you ever do that, I will WALK across town and smack you upside the head.

With a bat.

14. Athol Kay

December 23, 2007 at 12:48 am

>>I will WALK across town

The last few miles of that trek would look like a Special Olympics event was in progress.

(sorry Jay, I couldn’t resist)

The cringe inducing and lesson learning tale of Poor Jennifer

(EDITORIAL) Video conferencing is becoming the norm, so make sure you don’t end up like poor Jennifer. Take some extra time and precautions against exposure.

poor Jennifer

Ever had that bad dream where you were giving a speech, but realized you were totally naked? If so, you’ll join us in cringing at the true life tale of “Poor Jennifer.”

We are all Poor Jennifer. We love Poor Jennifer. We stand with Poor Jennifer. Take a deep breath and prepare to relate far too well to a story this mortifying. You’ll want to tell her you feel for her and perhaps even offer up your own embarrassing anecdotes to let her know she’s not alone. Jennifer’s story serves as the ultimate cautionary tale for Zoom calls.

Working from home is a luxury/burden that was still surprisingly rare until the COVID-19 crisis sent office workers home in droves. IT departments across the country–and across the world–scrambled to ensure they had solid firewalls and valid VPNs locked and loaded on everyone’s computer. Everyone signed up for video conferencing tools. Zoom became a household name overnight, though other options are available, too.

Nearly everyone’s reality has drastically changed over the past several weeks due to the novel coronavirus–and in some cases overnight. With this global pandemic comes uncertainty, anxiety, and dread, meaning few of us are working at our own full mental capacity. Many professionals find themselves working at home, using new tools, and with new, often rambunctious, noisy, or needy coworkers, AKA children, pets, or life partners. It can be jarring, disconcerting.

If you’re used to participating in conference calls in an office environment, whether video or audio, you take them at your desk. Working from home can tempt one to mute the audio call and do some multi-tasking. Nobody can see you or hear you once you mute the phone, after all, and not every part of every call is important for your particular piece of the puzzle.

I’m not proud of it, but I’ve walked the dog or loaded the dishwasher while I muted a conference call during another department’s report. It’s not ideal, but I have to tell you…it happens. I am thanking my lucky stars today that we kept video conferences to a bare minimum at work.

What does this have to do with Poor Jennifer? Well, Poor Jennifer was on a team video conference call when she answered another call: nature’s. Yikes. Zoom caught it all, and her colleagues’ faces told the story. We see confusion, discomfort, then disbelief. By the time one of her colleagues tries to tell her, she obviously already caught a glimpse of herself on the porcelain throne and took care of the problem.

The whole scenario was over practically before it began, yet it’s a moment that will live on forever, because one of Poor Jennifer’s inconsiderate coworkers went ahead and posted the Zoom feed online. NOT COOL, BRO. As for Poor Jennifer, please know we get it. The world is coming to a standstill, and this weighs heavy on our heads. Your accident serves as a warning to all of us coping with a strange new world. And yes, we laughed a little, awkwardly, because we were taken by surprise and felt uncomfortable for you.

Please know, Poor Jennifer, that it could happen to anyone. Know that we’re on your side. Know that we think your coworker is in the wrong 100% for posting it. Most importantly, know that any minute now, some other unsuspecting soul will unseat you from your internet throne of ignominy. This is the beauty of the internet and our ridiculously short attention spans.

How to combat the viral spread of COVID-19 anxieties

(EDITORIAL) As if work stress wasn’t enough, no work, with a viral pandemic sweeping the globe can be way worse. Here’s some tips to deal with COVID-19 related anxiety.

stress overworked COVID-19

When the CDC has a page about managing anxiety and stress during the COVID-19 pandemic, you know there’s a serious problem. The uncertainty of the situation is enough to put anyone in a tailspin, but when you add financial issues, health problems and social distancing, the stress can be overwhelming.

Fear, anxiety and panic are contagions just as dangerous and damaging as the COVID-19 virus. When you see other people panic-buying, it increases your stress level. When you act on it by shopping and stockpiling groceries, it doesn’t absolve your stress. It simply makes you even more stressed.

Anxiety is hard enough to deal with during normal times. During times of crisis, we have to be even more aware of our response to stress. It’s not that you can take away the stress. It’s about how you cope with stress. Unhealthy coping mechanisms include drinking too much, smoking, overworking and poor sleep habits.

How can you deal with anxiety during this time?

I’ve dealt with anxiety for years. When it’s gotten real bad, I’ve taken medication to help me find balance, but currently, I’m relying on what I’ve learned in therapy. When I start to spiral, I try to find ways that help me shut down my unhealthy responses.

• I take it one moment at a time. Sometimes, that means only thinking about one hour or even the next 10 minutes. I try to remember that I can only control so much. What do I need to do to get through the day?
  • I am sticking to my schedule. I get up and make my bed. At the end of the day, I try to put work away. I keep lunch easy, just as if I were going to my co-working office. I clean up the kitchen before I go to bed. A routine is comforting for me and reduces my anxiety.
  • I’ve muted people on FB who are panicking. I’m also limiting my time on social media and the news. I believe nothing unless it is verified against a reliable source.
  • I work crosswords, but any activity that takes your mind off what’s going on in the world works.
  • I’ve made sure to connect with others. With some people, I’ve talked about my concerns. With others, I’ve tried to be lighthearted and talk about other things. No matter what, I’ve tried to make sure that I only share accurate information.
  • Try to find ways to get out of your four walls without violating any recommendations. Go for a drive. Sit outside on your patio. Play with your dog in the backyard.

We don’t know how long this situation will last. You’re going to have to deal with some stressful problems. Finding your calm in the midst of the storm will help you move forward instead of feeling paralyzed with fear.

If you, or someone you care about, are feeling overwhelmed with emotions like sadness, depression, or anxiety, or feel like you want to harm yourself or others call:

• 911
  • Substance Abuse and Mental Health Services Administration’s (SAMHSA’s) Disaster Distress Helpline: 1-800-985-5990 or
  • Text TalkWithUs to 66746. (TTY 1-800-846-8517)

Sequoia ‘Black Swan’ memo could steer companies off of the COVID-19 cliff

(EDITORIAL) Venture capital firm, Sequoia sent out a memo to their companies, but also to the world. And the echoes are about to cause tech companies to make irresponsible layoffs that will cripple their brand when this crisis is over.

sequoia black swan

Nearly two weeks ago, venture capital (VC) company, Sequoia Capital sent a note, “Coronavirus: The Black Swan of 2020” to all founders of companies currently in their portfolio to offer insight into how they should handle the new business environment in the midst of a global pandemic.

Much of the advice was fairly standard “hunker down” advice – plan, prepare, and perform. Move quickly and be decisive. Be “bold,” they say in the memo. Anyone who took an intro business course in college knows the drill.

There are the predictable anti-capitalism responses in comments on the original post and across social media, but simultaneously a realistically dark and recklessly invisible reaction spreading in the tech world.

In their actionable advice, one point was the shortest, but loudest statement: “5. Headcount. Given all of the above stress points on your finances, this might be a time to evaluate critically whether you can do more with less and raise productivity.”

We are now being told that boards are meeting behind closed doors and referencing the “Black Swan” memo, and they’re seeking to act “clinically realistic,” as Sequoia instructed. Even if they’re not in Sequoia’s portfolio, the weight of the VC firm’s influence has rippled across the nation and pushed companies to put real thought into mass layoffs. In the middle of a global pandemic.

Why is that the takeaway from the memo when so many other points were made? Because we’re all panicking, and it feels like one of the only immediately actionable moves. Hunker down, trim the fat, keep as much cash on hand, be brutal, keep the company afloat. It makes sense, but it’s wildly tone-deaf and instead of leading on the topic (offering insights into how NOT to lose the loyalty and “culture” brands have so heavily invested in), it is cold. Clinical.

“5. Headcount” is echoing in boardrooms across America.

Bret Starr, Founder & CEO of B2B marketing agency, The Starr Conspiracy wrote a scathing point-by-point takedown of the Black Swan memo, also taking issue with pressuring their portfolio to review their headcount. “There it is. This is Sequoia at its core. Why wait to fire people? Go ahead and fire them now! And while you’re at it, see if you can squeeze the people left behind to be more “productive.” (Remember that part at the beginning of the memo when they talked about how much they care about people? Come on. Sequoia doesn’t care about people. They care about money.)”

Just yesterday, we wrote an open letter to employers struggling with sending their teams home or not, noting, “now is not the time to shut down your hiring pipelines, in fact, right now is the exact time you need to fire up your efforts, because remote work is going to reveal a lot about your team, and some folks are going to shine more than you ever knew they could. But in this sink or swim scenario, some are going to sink and you need to have a deep roster to pull from. If you don’t keep that pipeline full, your sinkers could drag your whole company down.

Starr concluded, “Sequoia had an opportunity (like the rest of us) to reassure their portfolio companies and demonstrate their care for our people, our communities, and our country. Instead, they whipped up fear and uncertainty, gave bad marketing advice, recommended firing some people and making others work harder, told folks to hoard cash, said some stupid shit about Darwin, mansplained a bunch of stuff using jargon, and trotted out Alfred Lin so he could once again compare shit to Zappos. None of us are selling shoes, dude! And we wonder why people are pissed at Silicon Valley.”

This would be the time to confess that I personally believe capitalism is beautiful. Truly. But even “bold” leaders and “clinical” thinkers who also believe in capitalism have an opportunity to do the right thing here without losing their companies.

And maybe that’s the Austin tech geek inside of me raging at the idea of taking an axe to something that requires a scalpel and a steady hand. A native of the nation’s most philanthropic city, I’m surrounded by people that give as much time, talent, and treasure (money) as possible. We’re used to coming together and helping each other out.

And one defining characteristic of Austin tech companies is thinking creatively – something others look to us for. And a top reason firms like Sequoia flop their thick wallets around our town.

So here’s what I hope Austin tech companies will do instead of use an axe to blindly chop down headcount – pick up a scalpel, take a deep breath, and make small cuts.

As teams work remotely, some are going to sink while others swim, so do a productivity audit, do a leadership audit.

Look at how people are working right this very minute – are there managers going above and beyond to make sure the transition to remote is seamless? Keep ’em. Are there support staff spotting challenges and offering ideas on fixing them? Keep ’em. Is there anyone on the team looking at budgets without being asked and sending in suggestions for how to mitigate the pandemic onslaught? Keep ’em. Are there sales staff that are dragging their feet and offering excuses while others are digging in and thinking outside of the box? You know what to do.

Leaders that can’t take the time to pick up the scalpel are going to have a hard time recruiting QUALITY talent after this pandemic is under control.

Can companies afford to take that kind of hit? Can Sequoia companies take that hit? Did Sequoia just put their portfolio companies in a negative spotlight by association with their Black Swan memo?

When layoffs begin (and of course they will, it’s inevitable), how awful will the headlines about each company be? Will it be clear whether a compassionate scalpel was used, or if the Board pressured a CEO into indiscriminately flailing an axe around the corporate offices for two minutes then staring at the fallout?

Sequoia’s advice isn’t just in conflict with Austin tech culture, it is the worst kind of useless “business advice” that people are going to listen to, be they a 5-person graphic design shop in Dallas, or a 1,500-person SaaS company in San Francisco.

Because Sequoia is the source, the generic advice will be followed blindly.

It speaks volumes about Sequoia that the memo wasn’t their fund offering to chip in a bit to help mitigate the impact of layoffs and offer staff severance packages to make sure those impacted don’t literally starve during this pandemic. There was no mention of mental health. There were no whispers of mentoring their portfolio companies through this storm to make sure their long term brand name survives this potential PR hit. Nothing about doing the right thing or being American, or anything about a rising tide lifting all boats.

Instead, it was a list of platitudes that could have been written by a high schooler assigned a paper on “how to do business during a crisis.”

Of course it is prudent to prepare for the worst right now, because it’s looking like a serious possibility, but thinking more creatively (doing a productivity and leadership audit (scalpel) versus aimlessly cutting higher paid or underutilized staff (axe)) is the only way to protect the company’s reputation long-term.

Trust me, people won’t forget how EVERY company acted during the COVID-19 crisis. In this current environment, the world is news obsessed, they’re taking stock, and can you blame them?

News organizations like ours won’t be deleting stories about companies using the axe when they could have used the scalpel. Or not made cuts at all.

America is watching business leaders right now more than ever, and companies’ futures rely on the decisions they make right this minute.