This year has seen an explosion of hot new apps, technology and uses of Neogeography.
Neogeography literally means “new geography”, and is commonly applied to the usage of geographical techniques and tools used for personal and community activities or for utilization by a non-expert group of users- Wikipedia
While the newly evolving geo-web is not just for Real Estate professionals, it lends itself incredibly well to our activities since we all live and die by the phrase “Location, Location, Location”. It allows us to be part of the community, to be present and to engage. The geosocial web is just starting to evolve, but I believe it is well on it’s way to becoming an integral part of our lives.
The Top 10 Geo Developments of 2009:
- Google Street Views expands exponentially 1/09
- Foursquare launches 2/09 (and for Facebook 12/09 – hot off the presses!) – Check in, find your friends, discover your city
- Flickr reached 100,000,000 geotagged photos 2/09
- Gowalla launches 3/09 – Share your experiences and discover new places. Everywhere you go
- Dopplr launches iPhone app 7/09 – The social atlas for the smart traveler
- Panoramio launches iPhone app 10/09 – Upload pics from your iPhone which will show up on Google Maps and Google Earth
- GeoAPI launches 11/09 – All of your geolocation needs in one API
- Twitter begins geo-tagging tweets 11/09
- DailyPlaces launches 12/09 – Location microblogging with picture upload and an engaged community
- Yahoo launches in 12/09 – GeoPlanet (infrastructure for geo-referencing data on the Internet) and Placemaker (provides geographic metadata for geographic indexing and markup for any of your content (ie feeds, webpages, statuses, etc)
* Do you notice a trend? 1/2 of the hottest trends are in the past 3 months, geoweb evolution is speeding up, 2010 is going to be quite a year for the geoweb!
What are your favorite new geoapps? What do you wish Santa will put in your stocking for 2010? I have a list and I’m checkin’ it twice and you’re gonna find out if I have been naughty or nice. Check back next week for my wish list to Santa for Geo-2010.
PS If you want to friend or follow me on any of these apps, I am Janie, JanieC or worst case, JanieCoffey 😉 – I use Foursquare and DailyPlaces considerably and would love to be geo-friends with you 😉
image courtesy of blprnt