Photo by Bocephulon
More Common Today
The home office is more common today than ever. It offers busy professionals convenience and many money saving advantages over the traditional practice of driving into a conventional office. For some, the home office is better equipped than their commercial counterparts. But in this time of wireless connections, multiple computers, phones & other wireless devices as well as the wireless systems designed for home use, considerations need to be made to ensure that your home is kept safe from the hazards inherent with the amenities of our digital age.
Hazards you ask? Yes, these modern day amenities come with a cost, more than the one that comes out of your pocket. The key is understanding the risk involved with each and deciding for yourself what level of risk you are willing to live with on a daily basis and what precautions you are going to take to make your environment safer and less toxic.
- Ringing ears, memory loss, confusion, lethargy, difficulty sleeping-these are common symptoms of over exposure to EMF’s (electromagentic fields).
- Continued exposure or high exposure can lead to cancer, brain tumors, ear cancer, leukemia, Alzheimer’s Disease and Parkinson’s Disease.
The Risk Factors:
- Wireless Phones, Cell Phones; the dangers are real, including brain cancer, eye cancer, leukemia, depression, memory loss & difficulty sleeping. And the dangers of cell phone use are just beginning to be discovered and unveiled. The high concentration of these devices in most home offices increases the risk involved.
- Computers, Monitors, WiFi systems; like cell and wireless phones, your office equipment emit radiation as do your clocks, TV’s, even your home appliances, putting your health at risk. The long hours you spend in close proximity to this equipment while behind your desk add up and can take their toll.
- Faulty Wiring, Overloaded Circuits; improper wiring is more common than most people think. How many offices have you seen with extension cords plugged into extension cords, each with multi-outlets overloading the circuits? A fire hazard to be sure, not optimum for your health either.
What You Can Do:
- Distance yourself. A home office is a great part of modern living. Keep your home healthy by planning out where you will be working so that it will not interfere with your home life and so that you can be most productive while at work. Locate your office in a room that is away from the sleeping areas of the home. This will not only separate the work space from the private spaces, but it will create distance from all of the electronic equipment you need to run your business. Your living areas, bedrooms in particular, need to be your sanctuary. Keep them as clear as possible to ensure they will support you and rejuvenate you. So please, no cell phone chargers on the nightstands…leave them in the office. A gaussmeter will easily measure the levels of magnetic fields in different areas of your home. Be sure to fully understand how to use and read the results of your gaussmeter. You can also hire a professional to assist you.
- Limit your exposure to radiation by making better decisions. Keep your cell phone calls short. Choose a classic hard wired land line and use an “old fashioned” corded phone while in the office or at home to reduce your exposure. Those old school phones have the added benefit of not requiring electricity to operate, so chances are, in an emergency if your power goes out, the phone will still work. And rethink buying the kids a cell phone of their own-they are particularly vulnerable to damage from cell/wireless phones.
- Use your desktop. If you use a laptop, avoid holding it on your lap. It has been connected to reproductive issues in both men and women and children should never use a laptop without a table. If you are not already using a LCD flatscreen, switch over now. They are a safer alternative to the old version.
- Stay grounded. Make sure that you are not overloading your circuits. Use the appropriate surge protectors for your equipment and make sure they are grounded. An electrician can check your wiring with an electric field meter to determine if their are any problems with the electric fields in your home.
- Shut down at night. Be sure to turn your equipment off when you finish for the day. Not only will you reduce your overall RF exposure, but you will save energy (and a few bucks on your bill) too!