Agent Genius Ranks #19 on Top Real Estate Blogs According to GeekRealEstate

I have no idea how Geek Real Estate came up with their list, but it IS a great list and I just wanted to share.

Oh, and our very own Ines’ Miamism ranked #47, Daniel’s Real Estate Zebra made #49, **Mike Price’s MLBroadcast (sorry for the oversight …) made #44, and Teresa Boardman’s St. Paul Real Estate Blog ranked a stealth #16.

Way to go you guys!

**Update.

Mariana is a real estate agent and co-owner of the Wagner iTeam with her husband, Derek. She maintains the Colorado Springs Real Estate Connection Blog and is also a real estate technology trainer and coach. Mariana really enjoys helping real estate agents boost their businesses and increase their productivity through effective use of technology. Outside of real estate, blogging and training, she loves spending time with her husband and 2 sons, reading, re-watching Sci-Fi movies and ... long walks on the beach?

1. Drew Meyers

February 15, 2008 at 6:59 pm

I just clicked on the Geek Real Estate link and was re-directed to this site – https://www.century21waldorf.com/

2. Hi, I'm Jeff Turner And I Got Here Before Rudy

February 15, 2008 at 7:02 pm

I got Century 21 Waldorf as well. Are you saying they are geeks?

3. Kelley Koehler

February 15, 2008 at 7:04 pm

think she meant geekrealtors.com?

4. Ines

February 15, 2008 at 7:17 pm

I’m always happy to make it on any list ( well…maybe not EVERY)

Shall we make a list of our own? How about our own list of penguins?

5. Mike Price

February 15, 2008 at 7:23 pm

Marianna, Guess I’m chopped liver but my blog did come in at number 44. The list is at GeekRealtors.com. GeekRealEstate is indeed a C21 agent. Wonder how long it will be for they get the infamous NAR slap down for that domain name? To answer your question on how they did the rankings, they combined Google Page Rank with Technorati and Alexa Rankings.

6. Mariana

February 15, 2008 at 7:24 pm

Well… Nice to see y’all are paying attention! Apparently, I wasn’t. Geek Real Estate .com DOES redirect to some C21 site. Nice. I fix-ed it. Thank you for your patience… Now back to your regularly scheduled program.

7. Mariana

February 15, 2008 at 7:27 pm

Mike – Der. I fix-ed that one too. Sorry for the oversight. [refresh]

8. Jonathan Dalton

February 15, 2008 at 8:07 pm

Call me pissy but …

My Technorati rank’s higher than much of the list. My Alexa rank is with most of the list, not that it makes that fact relevant in the slightest. My page rank is with the rest of the list.

I’m behind a local blog that features one or two posts a month and none since mid-January.

Of course I’m free to submit my own site but screw that. I’m not invisible. Neither’s my site.

Whatever.

9. Mike Price

February 15, 2008 at 8:21 pm

I was just teasin ya Mariana but thanks for the link love just the same. 🙂

JD, this list showed up in my technorati back links the other day, I’ve spent more time on it with these last couple of comments than I did when I saw it in the first place. You’re visible to anyone who matters, and that’s all that really matters in the matter, wouldn’t you agree? 🙂

MP

10. Benn Rosales

February 15, 2008 at 8:50 pm

They’re gonna get a spanking from NAR, what a shame.

11. Larry Yatkowsky

February 16, 2008 at 1:30 am

Does NAR mean Not Always Right?
    Methinks someone must have thought this before because with big brother watching I rarely have original thoughts. .>)

12. Vlad

February 16, 2008 at 9:23 am

Hello every one. My name is Vlad. I was the one responsible for compiling the list and I apologize for missing anyone. Feel free to submit your blogs.

It was my oversight regarding “geekrealtors” domain and not an attempt to infringe. In fact our goal was to bring a little more exposure to some great real estate blogs out there.

@Johnathan Dalton- I believe there is another Arizona blog on the list. If my memory correct there are three Arizona blogs on the list. Your blog was not on the list until I read this thread. Now it is. Unfortunately the list updates only once a week.

I also believe the fact that list is out there is more important what place your blog is at. Just think about it as an extra link to your website.

13. Benn Rosales

February 16, 2008 at 10:32 am

Vlad, welcome to agentgenius.com

I certainly understand why you used it, in fact, the original name of this site was realtorgenius.com until NAR said NO… You may want to be proactive and make the switch now because the c&d is probably going to be in your box in a few months (if not days or weeks). It was meant merely as an fyi, because I assure you, we at agentgenius.com don’t really care.

14. Mariana

February 16, 2008 at 10:45 am

NAR= Not Always Right … LOL!

Vlad – Hiya! Thank you for taking the time to put that list together.

15. Vlad

February 16, 2008 at 10:48 am

@Ben. Thanks we’ll do all we cane to keep up our list, even if takes different domain.

@Mariana. Thank you.

16. Michael Price

February 16, 2008 at 1:10 pm

Vlad, be sure to come back and comment when you move it to a new domain. Are you considering any additional metrics to rank the blogs?

17. Vlad

February 16, 2008 at 1:57 pm

Michael,

I will definitely let you know about the new location of the list.

I am not sure if we are ready to consider other metrics. Although all three Alexa, Google PR and Technorati statistics can be scrutinized, it is not possible to keep these statistics inflated for a longer period of time. I think for now combination of these three will do it. But we are opened to suggestions.

18. Laurie Manny

February 16, 2008 at 6:29 pm

Thanks Mariana, just went over to check it out and found myself on the list. Thanks Vlad!

19. Mariana

February 16, 2008 at 7:37 pm

YAY Laurie! 🙂

20. Jonathan Dalton

February 16, 2008 at 9:04 pm

Vlad – appreciate the link but still a little wary of the concept. Sometimes it’s easy to get lost in the Technorati rankings, Alexa rankings (which ain’t worth much) and the rest. Blogtopsites tracks traffic. Is that better? Is traffic the goal?

Not so sure …

21. Vlad

February 16, 2008 at 9:17 pm

Jonathan,

Blogtopsites also gives you a link via redirect, we give a clean friendly link. Besides not every blog on our list has installed “blogtopsites” badges on their websites. We can have fun trying, can’t we?

22. Dee Copeland

February 18, 2008 at 3:16 pm

Awesome! I’m 74….look waaaaay down on the list! 🙂

23. Vlad

February 20, 2008 at 9:06 pm

Just in case any one follow comments here. In light of some suggestions the list was moved a new domain:

Thanks every one for the feedback.

24. Mariana

February 21, 2008 at 10:59 am

Thanks for the link, Vlad!

The truth about unemployment from someone who’s been through it

(EDITORIAL) Unemployment benefits aren’t what you thought they were. Here’s a first-hand experience and what you need to know.

unemployment

Have I ever told you how I owed the government over two grand because of unemployment in 2019, and only just finished paying it back this year?

This isn’t exactly the forum for memoirs, but this is relevant to everyone. So I’ll tell y’all anyway.

It all started back in 2018 when I came into work early, microwaved my breakfast, poured coffee, and got pulled into a collaboration room to hear, “We love you and your work, April, but we’ve been bought out and you’re being laid off.”

It was kind of awkward carrying my stuff out to the car with that Jimmy Dean sandwich in my mouth.

More awkward still was the nine months of unemployment I went through afterwards. Between the fully clothed shower crying, the stream of job denial, catering to people who carried rocks in their nostrils at my part-time job (yes, ew, yes, really), and almost dying of no-health-insurance-itis, I learned a lot!

The bigger lesson though, came in the spring of the following year when I filed my taxes. I should back up for a moment and take the time to let those of you unfamiliar with unemployment in Texas in on a few things that aren’t common knowledge.

1: You’re only eligible if you were laid off. Not if you had quit. Not fired. Your former company can also choose to challenge your eligibility for benefits if they didn’t like your face on the way out. So the only way you’re 100% guaranteed to get paid in (what the state calls) “a timely manner”, is a completely amicable split.

2: Overpayments have to go back. Immediately. If there’s an error, like several thousand of Texans found out this week, the government needs that cash back before you can access any more. If you’re not watching your bank account to make sure you’re getting the exact same check each time and you have an overpayment, rest assured that mistake isn’t going to take long to correct. Unfortunately, if you spent that money unknowingly–thought you got an ‘in these uncertain times’ kinder and gentler adjustment and have 0 income, you have a problem. Tying into Coronavirus nonsense is point three!

3: There are no sick days. If ever you’re unable to work for any reason, be it a car accident, childbirth, horrible internal infection (see also no-health-insurance-itis), you are legally required to report it, and you will not be paid for any days you were incapacitated. Personally, my no-health-insurance-itis came with a bad fever and bedrest order that axed me out of my part time job AND killed my unemployment benefits for the week I spent getting my internal organs to like me again. But as it turned out, the payment denial came at the right time because–

4: Unemployment benefits are finite. Even if you choose to lie on your request forms about how hard you’re searching for work, coasting is ill-advised because once the number the state allots you runs out…it’s out. Don’t lie on your request forms, by the way. In my case, since I got cut from my part-time gig, I got a call from the Texas Workforce Commission about why my hours were short. I was able to point out where I’d reported my sickness to them and to my employer, so my unpaid week rolled over to a later request date. I continued to get paid right up until my hiring date which was also EXACTLY when my benefits ran out.

Unemployment isn’t a career, which is odd considering the fact that unemployment payments are qualified by the government as income.

Ergo, fact number five…

5: Your benefits? They’re taxed.

That’s right, you will be TAXED for not having a job.

The stereotype of the ‘lazy unemployment collector burdening society’ should be fading pretty quickly for the hitherto uninformed about now.

To bring it back to my story, I’d completely forgotten that when I filed for unemployment in the first place, I’d asked for my taxes NOT to be withheld from it–assuming that I wasn’t going to be searching for full time work for very long. I figured “Well, I’ll have a tax refund coming since I’ll get work again no problem, it’ll cancel out.”

Except, it was a problem. Because of the nine month situation.

I’d completely forgotten about it by the time I threw myself into my new job, but after doing my taxes, triple checking the laws and what I’d signed, it was clear. Somehow…despite being at my lowest point in life, I owed the highest amount in taxes, somewhere around the 2k mark.

Despite being based on a system that’s tied to how much income you were getting before, and all the frustrating “safeguards” put in place to keep payments as low and infrequent as possible, Uncle Sam still wants a bite out of the gas-station Hostess pie that is your unemployment check. And as I’m writing this, more and more people are finding that out.

I’d like to end this on a more positive note…so let’s say we’ve all been positively educated! That’s a net gain, surely.

Keep your heads up, and masked.

COVID-19 acts are unfortunately too short sighted

(BUSINESS NEWS) The biggest flaw in the CARES act is simply that it won’t last. Numerous issues have extended the life of COVID-19 but the act hasn’t matched it.

rev pay issues act

The CARES act gives an additional $600 weekly to those on unemployment assistance. The idea being that, combined with the $380 already granted by unemployment, the payments would roughly equal the wage of the average worker prior to the pandemic- about $1,000 weekly.

But on July 31st, the expansion that CARES provides will expire, and benefits will return to pre-pandemic amounts. Those currently receiving the maximum payment will see a 61% decrease in their income. In states that offer lower benefit payments, that percentage goes even higher. All of this comes during a national rental crisis, and moratoriums on evictions across the country are also nearing their ends or being extended last minute.

This isn’t the first or only “yuge” hole in the federal government’s COVID-19 safety net. Many Americans (this writer included) have seen neither hide nor hair of their promised stimulus checks. The HEROES act, which is being billed as a second round of stimulus money, remains under debate- as it has been for several weeks.

And the Families First Coronavirus Response Act, which requires certain businesses to provide two weeks of paid leave to workers who may be sick (or caring for someone who is) has plenty of problems too, namely the laundry list of exceptions to it.

This is just the most recent push to return to the pre-virus economy before effective protective measures have been put in place for workers and consumers alike. After all, with cases of COVID-19 spiking again in the US, it’s apparent that the act is still absolutely necessary. Our lawmakers either lack patience, or compassion – take your pick. Frankly, I say it’s both.

Not only have countless health experts warned that reopening too early will be disastrous, but if a second lockdown is in our future, all of the time, money, and human lives that went into reopening will be wasted.

There is a silver lining among the storm clouds on the horizon. Because ballooning unemployment has created long wait times for benefit applicants, unemployment assistance programs are shelling out retroactive back payments to those deemed eligible.

Good news, at least, for laid off workers who have been waiting months to hear their fate.

Women-owned businesses make up 42% of all businesses – heck yeah!

(EDITORIAL) Women-owned businesses make a huge impact on the U.S economy. They make up 42% of all businesses, outpace the national growth rate by 50%, and hire billions of workers.

women-owned business

Women entrepreneurs make history in the U.S as female-owned businesses represent 42% of all businesses, while continuing to increase at DOUBLE the national growth rate!

Women are running the world, and we are here for it! The 2019 American Express State of Women-Owned Businesses Report, states 13 million women are now self-employed entrepreneurs. From 2014 to 2019, women-owned businesses grew 21%. Think that’s impressive? Well, businesses owned by women of color grew 43% within the same timeframe, with a growth rate of 50%, and currently account for 50% of all women-owned businesses! Way to go! What this also means is that women employ over 2.4 million workers who together generate $422.5 billion in revenue.

What can we learn from these women that’ll help you achieve success in your businesses?

1. Get informed: In a male-dominated business industry, women are often at a disadvantage and face multiple biases. So, know your stuff; study, research, and when you think you know it all…dig deeper!
  2. Stay hungry: Remember why you started this journey. Write down notes and reminders, goals, and inspirations, hang them up and keep them close.
  3. Ask for advice: Life is not meant to go through alone, so ask questions. Find a mentor and talk to people who have walked a similar path. Learning from them will only benefit your business.

Many of these women found ways to use their passion to drive their business. It may not be exactly what they thought it would be when they started out, but is it ever? Everyone has to start off small and rejection is part of the process. In fact, stories of rejection often serve as inspiration and encouragement to soon-to-be self starters.

Did you know J.K Rowling’s “Harry Potter” book was turned down TWELVE times? Seven books later with over 400 million copies sold, the Harry Potter brand is currently valued at over 15 billion. While you might not become a wizard-writing fantasy legend like J.K Rowling, you sure as heck can be successful. So go for it, and chase your dreams.

If you want to support women-owned businesses, start by scrolling through Facebook or doing some research to find women-owned businesses in your community. Then, support by buying or helping to promote their products. Small businesses, especially women-owned, black women-owned, and women of color-owned, are disproportionally affected by the current economic crisis ignited by a health pandemic. So if you can, shop small and support local. And remember, there’s a girl (or more) doing a happy dance when you checkout!