In real estate, as in any other profession and life in general, respect has to be earned. IMHO, It’s not something I should give you “just because”. You have to demonstrate through actions as well as words that you deserve respect on a professional (and personal) level. Perhaps some agents agree with me, but it seems some agents do not.
Why do I say that some agent don’t agree?
Because here are some of the things I hear come out of agents mouths thinking it will earn my respect (or fear) yet, will never do so:
- “I’ve been in the business for ______ “ (I don’t care-there are plenty of crappy, sleazy people that have been in their respective profession for 10, 15, 20+ years too.)
- “I got in the business before you were born” (So you’re at least 50-happy birthday!)
- “My son is your age” (So you have a son-congrats.)
- “I’ve never heard of your brokerage firm. Is it new and did you just start in real estate?” (So you don’t pay attention to your competitors and don’t do any research before you comment.)
- “I’ve been on ___ committees and I know all rules and regulations!” (Really? Then why did you just violate the COE with a comment in your listing remarks on the MLS?)
- “I’m familiar with short-sales and foreclosures because I’ve been in the business for ____ years” (Then why are you claiming that the short-sale process is complete and all you need is the ratified contract when your seller hasn’t even written a hardship letter to the bank yet and you don’t know if there’s a secod trust or not?)
- “You must accept a lower commission than advertised if the bank counters with a lower commission-I know the MRIS rules and regulations” (You don’t say… Check out Article X, Sec 2 of the MRIS rules/regulations. And grow some cahunas and say “no” to the bank when they ask you to do something like that-you are worth your commission, aren’t you?)
How do you earn my respect?
By demonstrating that you deserve respect by your words…and actions. Here’s a sample list:
- Know what you’re talking about
- Negotiate well
- Follow through with what you say
- Be honest with me
- Act ethically and morally
- Ask for help if you need it
- Tell me I’m wrong when I am. But make it constructive criticism, not badgering
- Rather than leaving my client and I in the dark, give me information that will help me plead your case to my client and calm then down
- If you haven’t called me within the last 2 weeks, don’t be pissed off if I call you to touch base regarding my client’s offer on your short-sale listing (I’m not calling you every other day)
- (And don’t use any of the lines in the previous part of this post)
You won’t earn respect through a lack of manners or a huge ego. If you have manners and your ego isn’t the size of Texas, then you’re probably already earning the respect of those around you. As for the others who replaced their maners with their ego, all they will do is alienate themselves from everyone around them (except for those just like them which is not a pleasant thought).
How do you earn respect?