Raising the bar in real estate
As part of their effort to contribute to raising the bar in real estate, the National Association of Realtors’ Board of Directors (BOD) just passed policy recommendations to implement a new Code of Excellence (COEx), seeking to “increase professionalism through increased training and recognition of competencies that consumers value,” such as proficiency with property data, privacy of consumer information, advocacy of property rights, and technology. They also debated controversial topics such as implementing Realtor ratings and increasing standards for licensure.
The Realtor of the Future Leadership Team Proposal included the following five policy proposals:
- Implement an aspirational Code of Excellence – approved with amendment
- Mandatory biennial education, testing on COE, COEx – approved with amendment
- Realtors will have the most comprehensive data – approved with amendment
- NAR should implement Realtor ratings – approved with amendment
- Increase standards of entry into profession – was not addressed with the BOD