“What ever is happening to YOU now, YOU either created it, YOU allow it or YOU promote it.” ~Unknown
Reread that. It’s stark truth and reality for 97% of what is going on with our real estate careers. Success and challenges alike.
Setting things right is simple…take personal responsibility and embrace The Fix It or Fire It Method.
Fix It or Fire It
Current Listing Inventory Not Selling? Fix It or Fire It?
- Fix how the property shows compared to the competition. Sellers won’t help themselves? Fire them.
- Adjust the price to a competitive level. Sellers won’t help themselves? Fire them.
- ReEvalute your marketing and promotional competitiveness. If you are unwilling or unable to compete and deliver as promised, do yourself and you seller(s) a favor – release them and Fire Yourself.
Current Buyer Prospects Not Buying? Fix It or Fire It?
- Re-Qualify prospects for urgency, motivation and ability. If buyer prospects can’t or don’t need to buy, Fire Them (firmly but gently) as current buyer prospects, but stay close and earn referral recommendations.
- Re-examine what you think your prospects are looking for, Fix It and get back on track. If you can’t draw it out of them or you aren’t listening, Fire Yourself.
- If you believe your prospects are qualified, you understand what they want, you’ve shown it to them and they still aren’t buying, uncover the barrier/resistence/reluctance/fear/obstacle/etc. If you can’t figure it out and Fix It, Fire Yourself or refer them to a trusted collegue who beams a different personality.
Current Prospecting Systems Attract Flies, Felons and Phony-Balonies or The Deafening Sound Of Crickets? Fix It or Fire It?
- Examine all print and direct mail advertising. Is it paying for itself, plus a profit? How much have you wasted spent? Where are you advertising. How often? Who’s your target? What’s your message? How many closed transactions has it generated in the last 6 months? If it’s not profitable, Fix Something about it (the message, the medium, the frequency, the quality, etc.) and reevaluate in 30 days or Fire It. Seriously, if it’s not profitable, STOP.
Is Your Leader Really A Loser? Fix It or Fire It?
- Assuming your committed, dedicated and motivated, does your broker Leader provide you with the intellectual, emotional, technological, strategic support necessary to thrive? If not, talk to them about meeting your needs, if they are unwilling to adapt, Fire Them.
- If you feel you’re working with a bona-fide Leader, but your success is sketchy, examine your commitment, motivation, strategy and execution. If you’re unwilling to adapt, do your broker leader, yourself and occasional victims clients a favor, Fire Yourself.
Do Your Vendors Make You Look Magnificent and Send You Referrals?
- Recommending competent lenders, title companies, painters, plumbers, baby sitters, roofers, etc., is what our clients expect us to do. If the vendors we recommend aren’t reliable, courteous, professional and a source of referral recommendations, talk to them about your service requirements and your expectation for reciprocal referral recommendations. If they are unwilling or unable to perform, bang-bang. Next.
Are You Hugging It Out With Friends or Slugging It Out With Frienemies? Fix It or Fire It?
- To have friends, you must be a friend. If you are and they aren’t, talk to them and fix your relationship. If they are unwilling to be a friend, Fire Them.
- If your friends are Debbie Downers, gossips, back stabbers or two faced, Fire Them.
- Hang and hug it out with positive, supportive, bright people. Like people who read AgentGenius:-)
Our Shiny Future
Like I said, if we look around, evidence is everywhere. If we always do what we’ve always done, we’ll get less and less. I’ve listed six areas where immediate action will yield semi-immediate results. Listings will sell faster, clients will be happier, marketing dollars will work harder, we’ll attract qualified prospects, the people we bless with business will bless us, we’ll enjoy the benefits of competent leadership and the warmth of true blue friends will make our lives richer.
I guess the obvious question is, “When should we start?”
Cheers and thanks for reading.
PS. If you have a Fix It or Fire It idea, it’d be super cool if you’d share it in the comments. If you know anyone who would benefit from this memo, please forward.