Rudy On Leaving For Trulia

Rudy

Anyone that has been involved with the RE.net is familiar with Rudolph D. Bachraty III, AKA Rudy.Rudy has been half of the duo at Sellsius Real Estate. If you followed the now infamous blogging tour last year, you have no doubt seen Rudy’s video skills. Unless you’ve been hidden under a rock, you’ve also seen the back and forth between Zillow and some of the other light hearted and sometimes controversial fun that Rudy has stirred up over the past few years.

Rudy has announced this morning that he will be joining Trulia in a Social media capacity. You can find out more about what that entails at the official announcement over at Trulia Blog. I think this is a great move for Trulia, Rudy has tremendous energy and great understanding of Web 2.0. Rudy is no doubt a busy guy right now, but he took time out to answer a few questions for me, via Facebook of course!

Q: First Congrats on your new Gig. After all this time building up the Sellsius brand, what compelled you to join Trulia?
A: Thanks Mike! Hope all is well with you and the rest of the Genius gang. It was a great opportunity to join a fantastic team with a great vision. My experience with Sellsius was amazing and has opened many doors for me. I guess you can say that’s the power of blogging. Not to mention being social both online and offline. You never know what opportunities will present themselves to you.

Q: Can you give us an idea of what your job description will entail?
A: So, as the new Social Media Guru at Trulia, I will manage the Trulia blog and Trulia’s social media presence both online and off. In addition, I will be contributing to many new Trulia initiatives in the near future.

Q: Will your new job entail a relocation or will you be staying put in the Big Apple?
A: I will be based in the Big Apple. However, I will certainly be building up some frequent flyer miles over the coming months 🙂

Q: What changes can we expect to the Trulia blog?
A: We have a few fun changes in mind for the blog. Think content and a new theme….. So if anyone has any suggestions on what they would like to see, please send them to rudy (at) trulia dot com

Q: You’ve never been shy about controversy as a means of getting blogging attention. Do you feel you will need to “couch” yourself a bit or can we expect the same old Rudy we have some to know and love?
A: I’m on a short leash Mike. Darn it’s tight. In all seriousness, I will still be me. However, now that I joined the successful team at Trulia, let’s hope I don’t ruin their rep.

I have no doubt that Rudy will bring nothing but positive results to Trulia, and after having had the chance to hang out with him for a while, He will have fun doing it. ~MP

I'm not an Agent, nor a genius. I do what I can on the Interwebs to share some wisdom and knowledge and stick my nose into a few conversations here and there. I write for my own blog at mlbroadcast.com/blog along with this one and Zillow's GeekEstate Blog. I also have a kick ass product for Agents and Brokers - Check it out: https://www.mlbroadcast.com

1. Heather Fernandez

February 1, 2008 at 11:47 am

Thanks Michael – we couldn’t be more psyched about having Rudy on our team!!

2. Lani Anglin

February 1, 2008 at 11:48 am

Rudy is a great guy with an amazing enthusiasm and with his web2.0 background, he’ll make a great SM for Trulia! Will he be a little more Glenn or a little more David G??? Can’t wait to see…

3. Joseph Ferrara.sellsius

February 1, 2008 at 11:51 am

I don’t want Rudy to get in any hot water with the Zillow posts so I will come clean that I have been the guilty culprit in tossing eggs at Zillow. Good luck on your new roadtrip buddy.

4. Benn Rosales

February 1, 2008 at 11:55 am

I feel kinda sad, Joe- how’re you really feeling on this one?

5. Joseph Ferrara.sellsius

February 1, 2008 at 12:06 pm

I wish Rudy well and am happy for him and his family. Trulia is a great company to work for and they will really benefit from having him on the team.

6. Lani Anglin

February 1, 2008 at 12:09 pm

Joe, are you auditioning people for Sellsius? 🙂

7. Joseph Ferrara.sellsius

February 1, 2008 at 12:14 pm

Do you want to audition? 🙂

I never thought about it but maybe I should consider opening it up. But it would have to be something different. Email me and we can share some ideas. jf.sellsius [at] gmail.com

8. Michael

February 1, 2008 at 12:25 pm

Thanks for taking time out to talk to us Rudy. Joe, sounds like you’ll have no problems finding someone to try to fill those big shoes. 🙂

9. rudy

February 1, 2008 at 12:55 pm

Hi Mike!

Thanks so much for taking the time with me today. It’s always nice to be interviewed by a genius.

Hi Heather – Are you following me already???? 🙂

Hi Lani! – Wow. Thanks so much for all the support. Glenn Kelman or David G? Hmmmmm? Now that’s a really good question. As boring as it may sound, I think I’ll just be me 🙂

Hey Joker! – Thanks. Maybe now David G. will pick up my phone calls….

Hi Benn! – I am confident that Joe will be just fine. Good luck amigo!

Michael – You know what they say about big shoes?

10. mike

February 1, 2008 at 1:55 pm

Yep Same old Rudy! LOL!

11. Benn Rosales

February 1, 2008 at 2:16 pm

so if I write a post that says Trulia blows, Rudy is the one who will come running?

12. Benn Rosales

February 1, 2008 at 2:16 pm

Not that Trulia blows 😉

13. ines

February 1, 2008 at 2:19 pm

OMG – I don’t know what to say – I saw all these “congrats” on twitter and I have to tell you that although I’m extremely happy for Rudy, and Trulia is lucky to have him…..I’m also bummed about Sellsius. (although it will be easier to know who posts what!) 🙂

14. rudy

February 1, 2008 at 2:30 pm

Yup, that would be me Benn 😉

Hi Ines – Everything will be ok…..stay tuned…..

15. Drew Meyers

February 1, 2008 at 3:46 pm

Congrats Rudy

16. rudy

February 1, 2008 at 6:16 pm

Thanks Mr. Meyers!

February 1, 2008 at 10:16 pm

Rudy, can’t wait to see what you will unfold over there.

18. rudy

February 2, 2008 at 8:04 pm

Me too Missy!

6 skills humans have that AI doesn’t… yet

(OPINION / EDITORIAL) It’s not unreasonable to be concerned about the growing power and skill of AI, but here are a few skills where we have the upper hand.

Man drawing on a roll of butcher paper, where AI cannot express themselves yet.

AI is taking over the workforce as we know it. Burgers are already being flipped by robotic arms (and being flipped better), and it’s only a matter of time before commercial trucks and cars will be driven by robots (and, probably, be driven better).

It may feel unnerving to think about the shrinking number of job possibilities for future humans – what jobs will be around for humans when AI can do almost everything better than we can?

To our relief (exhale!), there are a few select skills that humans will (hopefully) always be better at than AI. The strengths that we have over AI fall into 3 general categories: Ability to convey emotion, management over others, and creativity.

Let’s break it down: Here are 6 skills that we as humans should be focusing on right now.

Our ability to undertake non-verbal communication

What does this mean for humans? We need to develop our ability to understand and communicate body language, knowing looks, and other non-verbal cues. Additionally, we need to refine our ability to make others feel warm and heard – if you work in the hospitality industry, mastering these abilities will give you an edge over the AI technologies that might replace you.

Our ability to show deep empathy to customers

Unlike AI, we share experiences with other humans and can therefore show empathy to customers. Never underestimate how powerful your deep understanding of being human will be when you’re pitted against a robot for a job. It might just be the thing that gives you a cutting edge.

Our ability to undertake growth management

As of this moment, humans are superior to AI when it comes to managing others. We are able to support organization members in developing their skillsets and, due to our coaching ability, we are able to help others to grow professionally. Take that, AI!

Our ability to employ mind management

What this essentially means is that we can support others. Humans have counseling skills, which means we are able to help someone in distress, whether that stems from interpersonal relationships or professional problems. Can you imagine an AI therapist?

Our ability to perform collective intelligence management

Human creativity, especially as it relates to putting individual ideas together to form an innovative new one, gives us a leg up when competing against AI. Humans are able to foster group thought, to manage and channel it, to create something bigger and better than what existed before. Like, when we created AI in the first place.

Our ability to realize new ideas in an organization

Think: Elevator pitch. Humans are masters of marketing new ideas and are completely in-tune with how to propose new concepts to an organization because, you guessed it, we too are human. If the manager remains human in the future (fingers crossed!), then we know what to say to them to best sell our point of view.

Using what we know, it’s essential for almost all of us to retrain for an AI-driven economy that is most likely just a few years away. My advice for my fellow humans? Develop the parts of you that make you human. Practice eye contact and listening. Think about big pictures and the best way to manage others. Sharpen your mind with practicing creative processes. And do stay up to date with current trends in AI tech. Sooner or later, these babies are bound to be your co-workers.

Your business model doesn’t have to be a unicorn or a camel to succeed

(OPINION / EDITORIAL) It’s not unusual for people to suggest a new business model analogy, but this latest “camel” suggestion isn’t new or helpful.

Camels walking in desert, not the best business model.

This year in 2020 I’ve seen a great deal of unique takes on how our system works. From 45 all the way down to children instructing adults on how to wear masks properly. However, after reading this new article published by the Harvard Business Review, I don’t think I’ve ever seen something so out of touch with the rest of the business world. Here’s a brief synopsis on this article on business model.

The author has decided that now of all times it’s drastically important for startups and entrepreneurs to switch their business tactics. Changing from a heavy front-end investment or “startups worth over a billion dollars” colloquially called “Unicorns” to a more financially reserved business model. One he has tried to coin as the “Camel”, using references to the animal’s ability to survive “long periods of time without sustenance, withstand the scorching desert heat, and adapt to extreme variations in climate.”

The author then goes on to outline best practices for this new business plan: “Balance instead of burn”, “Camels are built for the long haul”, “Breadth and depth for resilience”.

Now I will admit that he’s not wrong on his take. It’s a well thought-out adjustment to a very short-term solution. You want to know why I’m sure of that? Because people figured this out decades ago.

The only place that a “Unicorn” system worked was in something like the Silicon Valley software companies. Where people can start with their billions of dollars and expect “blitzscaling” (a rapid building-up tactic) to actually succeed. The rest of the world knows that a slow and resilient pace is better suited for long term investments and growth. This ‘new’ business realization is almost as outdated as the 2000 Olympics.

The other reason I’m not thrilled with this analogy is that they’ve chosen an animal that doesn’t really work well. Camels are temperamental creatures that actually need a great deal of sustenance to survive those conditions they’ve mentioned. It’s water that they don’t need for long periods, once they stock up. They have to have many other resources up front to survive those harsh conditions the article writer mentioned. So by this analogy, it’s not that different than Silicon Valley’s strongly backed “startups.”

If he wanted to actually use the correct animal for this analogy, then he should call it a tortoise business plan. Actually, any type of reptile or shark would work. It would probably be a better comparison in temperament as well, if we’re talking ‘slow and steady wins the race.’ Whatever you do, consider your angle, and settle in for the long haul.

10 tips for anyone looking to up their professional game

(OPINION / EDITORIAL) It’s easy to get bogged down by the details, procrastinate, and feel unproductive. Here are a few tips to help you stay on track and crush your professional goals.

work productivity

Self-reflection is critical to a growth mindset, which you must have if you want to grow and improve. If you are ready to take your professional game to the next level, here are some stories and tips to help you remain focused on killing your goals.

1. Don’t compare yourself to others. Comparison is the thief of joy, as the quote goes. And, in the workplace it’s bound to make you second guess yourself and your abilities. This story explains when comparison can be useful, when to avoid it, and how to change your focus if it’s sucking the life out of you.

2. Burnout is real and the harder you work, the less productive you are. It’s an inverse relationship. But, there are ways to work smarter and have better life balance. Here are some tips to prioritize your workload and find more ease.

3. Stop procrastinating and start getting sh@t done. The reason we procrastinate may be less about not wanting to do something and more about the emotions underlying the task. Ready to get going and stop hemming and hawing, you got this and here’s the way to push through.

4. Perfection is impossible and if you seek this in your work and life, it’s likely you are very frustrated. Let that desire go and learn to be happy with excellence over perfection.

5. If you think you’re really awesome and seriously deserve more money, more responsibility, more of anything and are ready to drop the knowledge on your supervisor or boss, you may want to check this story out to see if your spinning in the right direction.

6. Technology makes it so easy to get answers so quickly, it’s hard to wait around for things to happen. We like instant gratification. Yet, that is another reason procrastination is a problem for some of us, but every person has a different way/reason for procrastinating. Learn what’s up with that.

7. Making choices can be a challenge for some of us (me included) who worry we are making the wrong choice. If you’ve ever struggled with decision making, you know it can be paralyzing and then you either make no decision or choose the safest option. What we have here is the Ambiguity Effect and it can be a real time suck. Kick ambiguity to the curb.

8. If you are having trouble interacting with colleagues or wondering why you don’t hear back from contacts it could be you are creeping folks out unintentionally (we hope). Here’s how to #belesscreepy.

9. In the social media era building your brand and marketing are critical, yet, if you’re posting to the usual suspects and seeing very little engagement, you’ve got a problem. Wharton Business School even did a study on how to fix the situation and be more shareable.

10. Every time you do a presentation that one co-worker butts in and calls you out. Dang. If you aren’t earning respect on the job, you will be limited in your ability to get to the next level. Respect is critical to any leadership position, as well as to making a difference in any role you may have within an organization, but actions can be misconstrued. There are ways to take what may be negative situations and use them to your advantage, building mutual respect.

You have the tools you need, now get out there, work hard, play hard and make sh*t happen. Oh, and remember, growth requires continual reflection and action, but you got this.