They know hundreds, maybe thousands of people.
- She wears a jeweled crown, Queen Of The Social Climbers Circle, all hail.
- “Social-Butterfly” is mister’s middle name.
- She was the boss at “Wanda’s Widgets and Wow-We for 20 years, beloved by all.
- She’s the PTO president, respect.
- She’s a Social-Media darling, woot.
- He’s a retired Super Hero, people love him.
- They’re popular, sexy, savvy, funny, kind, pretty, handsome, honest and Involved.
If real estate is a people business and a numbers game, and they know 100’s, even 1,000’s of people, shouldn’t success come easy? Especially if they’re liked.
Is Who You Know important?
NO! It’s NOT Who-You Know.
Because we know someone does not mean they should or will hire or recommend-refer us. It doesn’t matter if we’ve know someone for umpteen years. It doesn’t matter if our kids play together, we’ve partied together, cried, laughed, loved or vacationed together. Friendship and acquaintance is NO Eticket to success. It’s a beginning…period.
Don’t believe me. Tsk-Tsk. Do this. Please.
In your head, conduct this imaginary test. No really. Play along.
The Gallup Poll Litmus Test
Hire the Gallup Poll people (in your head, not for real). Give them your data base names and telephone numbers. Ask them to conduct a Word Association – Top Of Mind Awareness poll, call one-hundred, politely introduce themselves and ask 5 questions.
- When I say, favorite alcoholic beverage, you say?
- When I say, favorite vacation destination, you say?
- When I say, Pop Star Porn Star Rock Star you say?
- When I say “Most Irritating Faux Celebrity“, you say?
- When I say, “[Reader Insert YOUR Name]”, you say?
The Moment Of Truth – Their Answer
The million dollar question is #5. Imagine answers to my #5. look like this:
- Ken Brand is a racquetball buddy. He’s kinda old and slow, a bit of trash talker, but a good sport.
- Ken Brand is married to Robyn, we’re mostly friends of hers. She’s way smarter than he is…his better 7/8th actually.
- Ken Brand is Nick, Lauren and Heather’s dad, our kids grew up playing together. He and Robyn have some great looking kids, we’re not really sure if Ken’s the father.
- Ken Brand’s a neighbor. He’s quiet and keeps to himself. Did he do something illegal?
- Ken Brand was a guest on Tim and Julie Harris’s Super Star Interview. (shameless personal pimping)
- I know Ken from the Wizard Academy. (you should go)
How would polled friends answer your #5.?
I’m confident the first associations would be positive. You know lot’s of people and they know you. Yea! This sounds good, right?
NO, it’s NOT GOOD.
Because it doesn’t matter how many people you know or how many know you! What matters is…
Who Knows YOU FIRST As Trust Worthy, Second as a Savvy, Can Do-Will-Do, Have Gun Will Travel, Realtor, and Third, As Other Things!
We’re winners only if the FIRST association is trust-worthy and second as a Rock Solid Realtor. If the FIRST and Second association is anything else, we have work to do.
If the people you know, don’t know YOU FIRST, as a trust-worthy, savvy, can-do-will-do, real estate agent, you’ll miss out on 60% to 80% of the opportunities associated with your sphere. Ouch.
It doesn’t mean slippery-spit that we know everyone and their half-sister. How many people know us, means less then zero. It only matters who and their half-sister, know us FIRST and SECOND, as a Trust Worthy Realtor and Real Estate Agent Icon.
Shall We Get Crack’n
It’s better to have 15 people who know you as a trust worthy Realtor FIRST, than 5,000 who don’t. The 2010 Common-Sense-Secret to success is to earn True-Blue-Trust and amplify your Top Of Mind Awareness.
If you believe people you know, know you FIRST as a trust worthy Realtor Icon, congratulations. Keep Rock’n The Free World.
Cheers. Thanks for reading.