We’ve discussed backing up your Twitter account so that all tweets go to a Google Doc, making it searchable and keeping proper records. But what about Facebook?
There is an option that allows you to download your entire Facebook account and all of your history. Why should Realtors do this? If you’ve ever talked to a prospect, client (past or current) or discussed business, you’re vulnerable from a business stand point (and your E&O would agree). Each state differs on how long communications must be stored by Realtors, but most have legal requirements and social networks are not immune (although it is still a young medium).
How to back up a Facebook account history:
- Click “Account” in the top right and select “Account Settings.”
- Scroll down to “Download your Information” and select “learn more.”
- Click the green “Download” button then in the pop up click “Download” again.
- If you’re a long time Facebook user, it will take a while (especially if you’re on slow internet).
- Facebook will email you a .ZIP file with your history.
- When you get the email, right click and “Extract files” and you’ll notice there are several files separated out, keep them all.
Some have said that pictures don’t process very well and end up small, but the goal is to back up your communications for when a client (or worse, their lawyer) says “but I told you on Facebook…” and you can say “well, let’s take a look!”