Ok, I know a lot of people are watching the Super Bowl right now, and why not. Many are routing for New York and many are for New England, but frankly, I am routing for the lesser known winners and losers. Know what I am talking about?
That’s right, the commercials. Watching the Super Bowl is not just about watching two teams beat the crap out of each other, it is about the commercials and how good they are. Companies placing ads this year have spent millions just to have a single spot and millions more in development, some of which started months ago, if not since last year’s Super Bowl. With the much coin at stake, who are the winners and who wasted their money? More importantly, what can you learn from them?
That’s right. Are you watching the commercials looking for ways to apply the good ones to your marketing? One of the best ways to market is doing a little S & D (steal and distribute). I am not talking about outright copying, but take the ideas and rework them for your particular business. There will be plenty of ideas to use from this year’s commercials and yes, they can be used in the real estate business.
So, while you are watching those commercials for the rest of the game, look at them in a different way. Look for opportunities. Look for “genius” you can make better and get it working for you. Don’t worry if you weren’t doing that during the game as you can catch them after the game at www.myspace.com/superbowlads/.
Now, so far I have seen some good and some horrible ads. Keep in mind that sometimes the horrible ones are actually good as they “stick” in your minds and keep that company at the top of your thoughts regarding that product. Here are the ones I have seen so far this game…
- Sales Genie
- Bud Light – Breathing Fire
- Diet Pepsi Max – What is Love
- Bud Light – Wine and Cheese Party
- Under Armour
- Bridgestone – Squirrel in the road
- Toyota Tundra – Haul your cabin
- Go Daddy
- FedEx – Carrier Pidgeon
- Tide (talking stain)
- Career Builder
- Budweiser – Hank Finally Makes the Team
- Toyota Corolla
- Garmin – Napoleon
- Life Water – Lizard Thriller
What I ask you to do is comment about which one(s) you liked and why. I am looking for your picks for the funniest, the best overall, and, of course, the worst. Those are certainly not a complete list, so please add some if you think they are worth mentioning.
To give you an idea of what I am looking for, here is a little about my thoughts:
- Budweiser – Hank – This is a good commercial for those looking to demonstrate a solid work ethic. Nothing delivers success but hard work and dedication.
- Go Daddy – As the commercial finishes, it directs those interested to the Go Daddy site to finish. That creates web traffic and the ability to gain leads.
- Life Water – Lizard Thriller – This one I am sure will be Lani’s favorite, if nothing else, for the dancing lizards.
I certainly have more that I could mention, but I would be writing a long time and I want to hear your thoughts. So, take a moment and list your favorites and why you think they were good (or bad).