Connect with us

Hi, what are you looking for?

The American GeniusThe American Genius

Business Finance

Mysterious Grey Charges: are you leaking money?

Grey Charges: BillGuard takes a look at the money people are ignoring that is leaking out of their wallets, you know, those small charges that look legitimate but may not be…

grey charges

grey charges

Fraud and deceptive charging practices

Around this time last year, my husband and I began getting a sudden barrage of text alerts that thousands of dollars were being spent all over the nation, draining our account – someone was buying linens on our tab in New Jersey, filling up their gas tank in Miami, and going on a Wal-Mart shopping spree in Ohio, all within minutes. We realized quickly we were victims of fraud, and although it was a newer card, so only two companies had the number (and we had an idea where the leak was), we didn’t have time to worry about that, we had to scramble to close the card before the grinches stole our entire Christmas.

That was a blatant case of fraud that was well organized, and although we lost a lot of money, we were able to get some of it back. What is less clear is “grey charges,” you know, those $9.99 charges you agreed to a year ago, forgot about, that are still being charged to your card even though you’re not using the product, and now the charges have slowly creeped up $1.99 a month here, and $2.99 there.’s blog is completely devoted to the fight against unfair charges, and while not all forgotten charges are unfair, BillGuard is shedding light on practices (some ethical, others questionable) that businesses use to bill your card.

“Customers swiping their credit and debit cards this holiday season should beware: one in four people fell victim to a deceptive or unwanted charge within the past six months,” the company said in a statement. “While some of these charges constitute fraud, many are legal – but unwanted – charges hidden in fine print.”

While they say 5.0 percent of unwanted charges constitute fraud, the other 95 percent are “grey charges,” comprised of legal but sneaky tactics, such as hidden fees, unwanted subscriptions, overcharges and unrecognizable charges. “These charges often are the result of companies that are banking on the fact that people don’t read the fine print or verify their transactions as carefully as they should,” the company asserts.

Advertisement. Scroll to continue reading.

Learning about Grey Charges

Be sure to set up text alerts this season for all spending on your personal and business credit and debit cards, and don’t ignore charges simply because they’re not big ticket line items. As a bonus, we’ve learned that if you see a funky charge, or something you don’t recognize and you question its legitimacy, tweet @BillGuard, and they say they’ll help find answers to unrecognized charges through analysis of millions of billing disputes to help find similar problems with your bills.

grey charges

Lani is the COO and News Director at The American Genius, has co-authored a book, co-founded BASHH, Austin Digital Jobs, Remote Digital Jobs, and is a seasoned business writer and editorialist with a penchant for the irreverent.

1 Comment

1 Comment

  1. BillGuard

    December 19, 2012 at 5:46 pm

    @FinancialHS Thanks so much for tweeting our infographic, Alex!

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *


American Genius
news neatly in your inbox

Subscribe to our mailing list for news sent straight to your email inbox.



Business Finance

If you live in Louisiana, or the Northeast, a huge portion of your income goes to various insurances. How does your state rank when...

Business Finance

Crowdfunding has changed considerably in the last two years alone, so what does the future hold for this form of funding?

Business Finance

Using your tax refund to invest in your own business is a smart move, but where is the best place to put it?

Business News

(Business News) Target has experienced a three week security breach wherein customers' credit card numbers, names, expiration dates and CVV codes were stolen.

The American Genius is a strong news voice in the entrepreneur and tech world, offering meaningful, concise insight into emerging technologies, the digital economy, best practices, and a shifting business culture. We refuse to publish fluff, and our readers rely on us for inspiring action. Copyright © 2005-2022, The American Genius, LLC.