Using your electronics at night
A new study released by the Proceedings of the National Academy of Science suggests that electronic devices that glow at night disrupt sleep rhythms more than previously revealed. This study found that use of certain devices suppress the levels of melatonin and prolongs the time it takes to fall asleep.
The participants read books on either a light-emitting device (LE-eBook) or in print. The users of LE-eBooks reported being sleepier and less alert the next morning.
What does this mean to you? Electronic devices may have medical and biological effects that affect your productivity.
Specifically, the study should alert you to the importance of shutting off your device an hour before bedtime. Here are some benefits of turning your phone off.
- Your mind will be calmer before bed. Without having to take care of everyone’s needs through email or text, you can focus on yourself and your family.
- You have time to connect with your family. Spend some time reading to your kids or talking to your spouse.
- You will be more mindful with your time. Make a plan to enjoy something without your phone. This may be a good time to get spiritual and connect with your faith.
- You have time to focus on something bigger and better. You can do things that add more value to your life, like reading, learning a language, or journaling.
- You’ll sleep better and won’t feel like you have to check your messages all night.
- When you wake up, you’ll be more refreshed. Give yourself time in the morning to wake up and get ready without distractions of your phone and email. Deal with notifications when you’re more alert and have the energy to really answer them effectively.
The first week won’t be easy. You’ll be antsy and wonder how you’re ever going to live without your music and social media. Once your mind adjusts to the plan, you may find you want to shut your phone off at dinnertime. Life went one for hundreds of years before the advent of the phone and other electronic devices. The benefits of turning off your phone for a short time before bed are well worth the effort.