TikTok released a case study this week that serves as a step by step guide on how to run a successful branded hashtag challenge on their platform. Using the example of ZALORA, a fashion e-commerce platform in Asia, the campaign goal was to make inroads with an audience of trend-setters to drive awareness and new shoppers during an online fashion festival.
To encourage TikTok’s younger audience base to participate in the ZALORA fashion festival, the company ran a customized Branded Hashtag Challenge in Singapore. They included performance ads specially designed to both generate buzz for its own Hashtag Challenge, and drive new app installs.
The #ZStyleNow Challenge invited participants to flash a “Z” hand signal, and then do a jump cut to a new outfit. It was both an opportunity for users to show off their style, and to make a brand connection. ZALORA incentivized higher engagement and participation with product giveaways.
Running TikTok’s Brand Takeover and in-app banner ads, ad creatives were A/B tested and optimized. This amplified the campaign exposure, gave additional insight about their target market, resulted in new visitors to ZALORA’s site, and new app installs.
The campaign outcome metrics included 1.1k user videos submitted, 62k users engaged with challenge videos, and nearly a million #ZStyleNow video views. According to TikTok, the rigorous testing “ ZALORA performed helped TikTok achieve a more effective campaign at a lower cost. The conversion rate (CR) difference between the least effective and most effective ad creatives was as much as 2.5x. With the right mix of high-performing creatives, ZALORA managed to decrease its cost per click (CPC) by a staggering 54.3%, and cost per install (CPI) by as much as 27%. All in all, ZALORA saw an astonishing 19.75% Brand Takeover click-through rate (CTR).”
Though figuring out what will really resonate for your brand with the TikTok audience, the platform has also created a list of 12 tips for an inspiring Hashtag Brand Challenge. The list seems to really push the Branded Effects product which lets users add 2D animated lenses to their videos that can be triggered by face and hand movements.
The tips are:
- Use visual effects to demonstrate your brand’s KSP.
- Place your product front of mind and make it part of the challenge rules.
- Create a virtual try-on experience with Branded Effects.
- Spark conversations with a themed transformation.
- Animate your brand’s character (try a Duet or Branded Effect).
- Think with sound- get your users to follow audio instructions.
- Tap into dynamic makeover effects.
- Bring real life scenarios into UGC- show how your brand meets consumer needs.
- Create social currency- make it appealing to a specific demographic.
- Imbue life and personality into your brand.
- Gamify the user experience with Branded Effects.
- Use trending memes to boost popularity.
You can read the full ZALORA TikTok case study here.