Conversation comes naturally for a lot of people and quickly it is discovered that there is something that connects them together. Some examples of this would be that they both love dogs, they lived in the same state, they enjoy wine, they can both quote lines from “Monty Python”, and other endless possibilities. This is a part of the bonding process and happens in most relationships as you build connections on both a business and a personal level.
Where do I Begin?
In some instances, conversations don’t come easy. Just like so many other things in life – keep practicing and it will come easier and easier. If you cringe at the thought of another five hours stuck in the car with the home buyer hoping that you’ll think of something to say, use these ideas to get the conversation started. Maybe you prefer not to attend mixers or networking events because you don’t want to walk in alone and struggle with something to say; take one or two conversation starters and make them yours. Questions are easier, but can come across as aggressive and you have to be careful not to ask ones that would be considered by some a violation of their personal space. Conversations also begin by sharing little bits and pieces as an icebreaker. Don’t be boring – liven’ it up!
- Are you originally from here?
- This is delicious, I think the best tea I’ve had was probably in England.
- Do you think you would want to make any changes to the house to make it more “yours”?
- Man, parking is hard to find… reminds me of a Seinfeld episode!
- Are your children upset about the move and leaving their friends?
- Do you know if it’s going to be nice out this weekend? I was hoping to catch some time skiing.
What are some of your favorite conversation starters?